HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > The Lounge
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Lounge "...Where the parking lot of the Igloo meets the concourse of the Nassau County Coliseum and the bathroom line of the Skyreach..." - Wickedbsfan

HF Boards' Healthy Body Transformation Thread - Part 6

Closed Thread

Old
03-19-2013, 08:35 PM
Kitten Mittons

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Have My Baby Pierre View Post
Question

How do prisoners get so big while just eating crappy prison food and whatever they can buy from the snack house?
Naturally increased level of testosterone in a prison environment.

Old
03-20-2013, 12:51 AM
StringerBell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Have My Baby Pierre View Post
Question

How do prisoners get so big while just eating crappy prison food and whatever they can buy from the snack house?
Darwinism. You don't lift, you don't live.

Old
03-20-2013, 02:35 AM
Manked
Ooh to be a Gooner

Hey all new to this thread. About three weeks ago I stepped on a scale for the first time in over half a year, and I finally got scared. So scared that I haven't shared with anyone how much I weigh.

Anyways, I started counting calories, and essentially just got rid of late night snacking and I have lost 8.4 pounds in 3 weeks. I used to have atrocious eating habits, including almost 2L of Diet Coke a DAY. I also used to eat a full sized bag of chips on an almost daily basis. Quit both cold turkey, still no problem three weeks later.

I just wanted to share that with people. I also want to ask what people think of keto because everyone keeps telling me to try it. Despite me losing almost 10lbs in 3 weeks, I am still way over my suggested carb intake daily. Thoughts?

Old
03-20-2013, 09:43 AM
InjuredChoker

vCash: 955
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manked View Post
Hey all new to this thread. About three weeks ago I stepped on a scale for the first time in over half a year, and I finally got scared. So scared that I haven't shared with anyone how much I weigh.

Anyways, I started counting calories, and essentially just got rid of late night snacking and I have lost 8.4 pounds in 3 weeks. I used to have atrocious eating habits, including almost 2L of Diet Coke a DAY. I also used to eat a full sized bag of chips on an almost daily basis. Quit both cold turkey, still no problem three weeks later.

I just wanted to share that with people. I also want to ask what people think of keto because everyone keeps telling me to try it. Despite me losing almost 10lbs in 3 weeks, I am still way over my suggested carb intake daily. Thoughts?
'If it ain't broke, don't fix it'.

If your current diet is working and you're feeling good, there's no need to change it.

Old
03-20-2013, 10:58 AM
Dave
( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)

Quote:

A lot of that could be water weight, considering you were eating a ton of high sodium food.

Just use simple eating habits coupled with calorie counting; don't eat processed foods, eat fruits/veges/meats/nuts/etc. From everyone I've seen talk about keto, it seems like the best way to have fat melt off you from a 'diet' perspective. I'm not really a fan of them since they consider fruits to be bad for you (unnecessary sugar intake), and I like fruits.

I've heard people saying food scales help a lot with calorie counting. Some new scales even have pre-programmed food types (hundreds), and can output the amount of calories that would be within what's being weighed.

These two websites can be used for meal planning/calorie counting. Both are made by the same person, "eatthismuch" is the newer iteration and requires a monthly fee after you use up the trial period. Neither tool is amazing, just a simple app that can give you some ideas about meal planning.

http://swole.me/

http://www.eatthismuch.com/

Here's the reddit thread from the guy who made eatthismuch:

http://www.reddit.com/r/Fitness/comm...c_weekly_meal/

I'd go so far as to imagine that you're quite sedentary, so start exercising. It doesn't have to be anything serious, just go for a 1hr walk a day, try to up your pace every so often. And if you have been sedentary, start a stretching routine, it will help down the road if you try to become more active. Or get a gym pass and use some of the low impact cardio machines, elliptical/bike.

Finally, go see your doctor even, get them to do blood work on you. They'll also check your bloodpressure (or do this yourself at any grocery store). This will give you a good baseline moving forward.

Last edited by Dave: 03-20-2013 at 11:14 AM.
Old
03-20-2013, 01:56 PM
markrander87

Getting ready to place another order online to pick up some supplements. I usually just get protein and a pre workout but i'm thinking of picking up a fat burner as well. Does anybody have any advice/success with a certain type?

Old
03-20-2013, 04:55 PM
Manked
Ooh to be a Gooner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
A lot of that could be water weight, considering you were eating a ton of high sodium food.

Just use simple eating habits coupled with calorie counting; don't eat processed foods, eat fruits/veges/meats/nuts/etc. From everyone I've seen talk about keto, it seems like the best way to have fat melt off you from a 'diet' perspective. I'm not really a fan of them since they consider fruits to be bad for you (unnecessary sugar intake), and I like fruits.

I've heard people saying food scales help a lot with calorie counting. Some new scales even have pre-programmed food types (hundreds), and can output the amount of calories that would be within what's being weighed.

These two websites can be used for meal planning/calorie counting. Both are made by the same person, "eatthismuch" is the newer iteration and requires a monthly fee after you use up the trial period. Neither tool is amazing, just a simple app that can give you some ideas about meal planning.

http://swole.me/

http://www.eatthismuch.com/

Here's the reddit thread from the guy who made eatthismuch:

http://www.reddit.com/r/Fitness/comm...c_weekly_meal/

I'd go so far as to imagine that you're quite sedentary, so start exercising. It doesn't have to be anything serious, just go for a 1hr walk a day, try to up your pace every so often. And if you have been sedentary, start a stretching routine, it will help down the road if you try to become more active. Or get a gym pass and use some of the low impact cardio machines, elliptical/bike.

Finally, go see your doctor even, get them to do blood work on you. They'll also check your bloodpressure (or do this yourself at any grocery store). This will give you a good baseline moving forward.
Thanks so much (as well to kemisti) for the advice.

I currently exercise for an hour or more about 3 times a week. My goal is to get that up to 5 times a week in the coming weeks. I'll make sure to ask questions here, thanks so much for the help!

Old
03-20-2013, 06:11 PM
Unaffiliated

the best fat burner exercise is called the plate push-away

the fork put-down is also very good

Old
03-20-2013, 06:16 PM
Vip
In the clouds

Diet going strong. Getting a little sick of chicken though. Nothing a little Sriracha can't fix.

These are seriously the most delicious BCAA's I have EVER had. I look forward to drinking this all the time.... Sour Apple flavored

Old
03-21-2013, 12:19 AM
Unaffiliated

Did my first 2 sets of DL 5x5 at 300lbs today but got nervous about my lower back rounding a little.

It's nothing compared to the "snap city" videos on YT, and it's less than the heaviest deadlifter at my gym, but I care a lot more about near perfect form than numbers.

Sometime in the next few days I'm going to bring my phone to the gym and take video at 290# or maybe 300#.

Gonna make sure I'm good before I continue progression at all. I'd rather move back to 250 with better form than risk any kind of injury.

Old
03-21-2013, 12:32 AM
Lynk
Registered Bro

Solid progress man, and respect for actually understanding how important form is on heavy deads.

Concept is lost on the majority of people at my gym.

Old
03-21-2013, 06:36 AM
bassassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unaffiliated View Post
Did my first 2 sets of DL 5x5 at 300lbs today but got nervous about my lower back rounding a little.

It's nothing compared to the "snap city" videos on YT, and it's less than the heaviest deadlifter at my gym, but I care a lot more about near perfect form than numbers.

Sometime in the next few days I'm going to bring my phone to the gym and take video at 290# or maybe 300#.

Gonna make sure I'm good before I continue progression at all. I'd rather move back to 250 with better form than risk any kind of injury.
Sounds just the same as me. When I first started deadlifting I was relying on a friend to teach me (bad move) and was new to the gym. He didn't spot I lacked the flexibility to lift off the ground and it got to the point that my back grew a lump of muscle to compensate around my lower spine.

Now I am paranoid as hell about my form, I was deadlifting 140kg for a set but was that paranoid about rounding out my back I had one of the trainers come in and watch my set.

Old
03-22-2013, 07:42 PM
Manked
Ooh to be a Gooner

How much can weight fluctuate daily?

Old
03-22-2013, 08:21 PM
Dave
( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)

Quote:
How much can weight fluctuate daily?
Many pounds, 5+. If you want a consistent way of measuring weight, always weigh yourself at the same point in your routine.

If I'm gonna weigh myself, I weigh myself after I urinate/defecate and before I eat/drink anything in the morning. And before you've sweated out a bunch of fluids.

An other thing, if you're weighing yourself daily, it can be difficult to see results because of how much the weight fluctuates, you'd be better off graphing it after a few weeks of data and see what the trend is in your weight loss/gain. I'd say you're better off weighing yourself once a week or once every two weeks.

Old
03-22-2013, 09:26 PM
Unaffiliated

Been sick as hell the last couple days.

It sucks.

Old
03-22-2013, 10:17 PM
TheLeastOfTheBunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynk View Post
Definitely rest it for now.

Sounds like either Runner's knee or possible IT band friction or tightness.

Let it rest, ice it and google some good stretches for runners knee issues and tight IT band to see if it helps.

If it does persist you're going to want to get in contact with a physical therapist for further treatment. Also look for chiropractors who specialize in the "graston technique" as it has been shown to have very positive responses from people with runners knee.
Wanted to thank you again for the info. Rested it for a week, most of the pain has subsided. Still can't do squats though, pain usually flares up right when hips and knees are aligned (can't go further down than that). Might get it checked out by a doctor Thursday/Friday if it keeps up.

Old
03-22-2013, 10:27 PM
Lynk
Registered Bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLeastOfTheBunch View Post
Wanted to thank you again for the info. Rested it for a week, most of the pain has subsided. Still can't do squats though, pain usually flares up right when hips and knees are aligned (can't go further down than that). Might get it checked out by a doctor Thursday/Friday if it keeps up.
No problem, try googling some stretches for tight IT band to see if it helps. If it stays that way then the doctor/physical therapist would be your next best bet.

Old
03-23-2013, 10:11 AM
bassassin

Took PWO went to get bus to gym (Gym is 10 miles away and my car is at the mechanics). Bus is cancelled due to snow, now itching like a mother****er, hate running in the snow, but im gonna have to go or sit around itching for a few hours

Old
03-23-2013, 03:09 PM
predfan24

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassassin View Post
Took PWO went to get bus to gym (Gym is 10 miles away and my car is at the mechanics). Bus is cancelled due to snow, now itching like a mother****er, hate running in the snow, but im gonna have to go or sit around itching for a few hours

That suuuccckksss. I remember one time a few years ago I took pre-workout and planned on doing a P90X workout but then my DVD player broke as I was putting the disc in. This was early on in my pre-workout taking career so needless to say I was feeling it. I got so incredibly MAD with that stuff circulating in my system and not exerting myself. I imagine that's what roid rage feels like.

Old
03-24-2013, 08:05 AM
Mike Emrick
Corsi's right

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/25/sp...nted=all&_r=1&

Quote:
Joe Weider, a scrawny kid who sculpted himself with bodybuilding during the Great Depression and created an empire of muscle magazines, fitness equipment, doubtful dietary supplements and Olympic-style contests featuring Arnold Schwarzenegger, died on Saturday at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles. He was 93. The cause was heart failure, said Charlotte Parker, his longtime publicist. Mr. Weider may not have been the 97-pound weakling of the comic books who got tired of having sand kicked in his face. But as a teenager in Montreal, he hated being roughed up by neighborhood hooligans, discovered bodybuilding in a magazine and bought into it for life. He developed a V-shaped torso with bulging biceps and abs like Michelangelo’s David, and was still muscular and jut-jawed in his 70s and 80s.

Old
03-24-2013, 08:17 AM
Mike Emrick
Corsi's right

http://www.nydailynews.com/life-styl...icle-1.1015856

Quote:
Meet a college cheerleader who looks more like an Olympic bodybuilder.

Anna Watson of the University of Georgia does not look like a typical member of a pep squad. But thanks to a rigorous workout schedule and a disciplined diet, the 5-foot-10 inch Watson sculpted four inches of muscles on her arms in 10 months, according to Red and Black, Georgia's student newspaper.

A photo of Watson flexing her muscles has made waves on the Internet and on Twitter, and Watson appeared on ABC's "Good Morning America" on Thursday.

The sculpted Watson was even offered a $75,000 fitness modeling contract, but she turned it down after struggling and failing to gain the required 50 pounds of muscle. She also feared taking legal anabolic steroids, and didn't want her body to define who she was.

Watson, a former gymnast, even cut back on her workouts out of fear that it was consuming her. She still works out three times a week with the cheerleading squad and five times a week on her own, according to Red and Black.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/life-styl...#ixzz2OSl75vef

Old
03-24-2013, 08:22 AM
Mike Emrick
Corsi's right

http://www.redandblack.com/sports/ch...56aaa37ec.html

Quote:
“I want to show people that working out can be freeing,” Watson said. “It can be enjoyable. It doesn’t have to be something that you have to do all the time. It doesn’t have to be oppressive and I think a lot of people just need to be freed from that image or that idea, ‘If I can lift five pounds more, if I can lose five pounds more, then I’m going to be better,’ because it’s a never-ending cycle.”

She also wants other women to find success in the weight room.

Watson was intimidated the first time she stepped into a weight room, a place usually dominated by men.

“It was hard for a girl, because psychologically, you’re like, ‘I don’t want to gain any weight, whether it’s muscle or not,’” Watson said. “And a lot of girls and even a lot of people [in] society look down on girls with a lot of muscle and personally, I can be biased. I think soft muscle is beautiful.”

Old
03-24-2013, 09:19 AM
maroon 6
Live and let live

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixcuincle View Post
Whats Mitt doing in the bottom right?

Old
03-24-2013, 12:26 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13-15

vCash: 5113
Weekly weigh-in report....

Lost 2.4 lbs this week, meaning I've dropped from 222 lbs to 175.4 lbs (-44.6 lbs total) since January 1st.

Weight loss has slowed down a lot in the past month, but after two weeks of losing almost nothing, very nice to lose 2+ lbs in a week again.

Old
03-24-2013, 04:44 PM
EpochLink
Canucks and Jets fan

I remember taking pre-workout a few years ago and was about to do P90X but I didn't realize I had to work in 5 hours, add to the fact I worked graveyard so that was scrapped.

I was itching like crazy and my sleep was not the greatest in the world lmao..

Closed Thread