HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Why are habs fans so pessimistic/critical??

Old
03-22-2013, 09:04 PM
Alexdaman

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by onemorecup View Post
agreed come playoffs u need health, luck , those kris kontos overachieving performers ,and your best players being your best

But the Bruins are built to win and for years , solid team , talent and kids

Pitt has the 2 best players in the world when healthy , Letang , Neil and Kunitz

we arent in that class yet maybe in a year or so
We already have beaten the Penguins with Gomez, Spacek, M-A Bergeron, Kostityn etc. in our lineup.

I strongly believe that if Galchenyuk steps up his game in time we might have a legitimate shot at the cup. But we already have a chance if he doesn't.

Alexdaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 09:26 PM
impudent_lowlife

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
Too many people here are fans of certain players before they are fans of the Canadiens.

This phenomenon leads to an inordinate amount of whining. Despite the Habs winning a game, there are complaints because "Player X" only got so much ice time while another Habs player got more. In their minds, the coach is doing an injustice to their favorite player.......even if the Habs win.

I have posted on NFL and MLB message boards. This board is the only place that I see this much of player before team so often.

Edit.......the Boullion bash post above is a great example of what I was referring to.
Some fans are incessantly submissive to the status quo and are unable to grasp that a coach should be able to put aside coach-player friendships for the good of the team.

impudent_lowlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 09:35 PM
bib
#believe

So... you're criticizing overly critical people?

.................................................. ..................................

bib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 09:36 PM
TennisMenace

I'm pessimistic because I think the playoffs are about grit and perseverance. We have no grit but mostly have glitz.
Sens have Kassian and Neil
Bruins have Lucy, Thorton, chara and Mcquaid.
Leafs have Orr, Mclaren and Fraser.

Will we survive the extra physicality and intimidation the playoffs demand?

I have my doubts.

TennisMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 09:37 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

'Cause until we have a small history of being one of the best team, on top during the regular seasons, and solid performances in the playoffs even if it doesn't mean to win the Cup every year, there will always some skeptical people, and that's perfectly normal based on the past 18 years we've been having.

And frankly, we do have the right to think that this shortened season is clearly not an indiciation of how great a team is. This Eastern conference has to ice the worst group of teams we've seen in quite a while. We are still amongst the best of that conference no matter how we see it....but totally right to be skeptical....until proven otherwise. It's all great to have faith in your team. But I believe that it's also necessary to add a little realistic touch to it. Yet...everyboyd has their own interpretation of what's reality....I guess we should try to acknowledge and respect each and everyone's position.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 09:44 PM
AcadiaAxeMan

Send a message via MSN to AcadiaAxeMan Send a message via Yahoo to AcadiaAxeMan
... because we grew up expecting to WIN in a time when we RULED and now we have a different NHL and we are NOT getting the same results ... respecting that the GAME has changed is hard for some HAB FANS ... I prefer to stay positive!

AcadiaAxeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 09:51 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcadiaAxeMan View Post
... because we grew up expecting to WIN in a time when we RULED and now we have a different NHL and we are NOT getting the same results ... respecting that the GAME has changed is hard for some HAB FANS ... I prefer to stay positive!
Having the game changed is not good enough a reason why we were so ordinairy since our last cup run. 1 3rd round in 18ish years? Sorry but other teams were more succesful than we were. Not a lot of teams but a few more. And this Habs team had to have more success than we did. Yes....a lot more other teams were worst and still not looking good but somehow, I always prefer comparing my team to the best....That's more a winning approach than to be satisfied to not being the worst....

Old
03-22-2013, 10:01 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by impudent_lowlife View Post
Some fans are incessantly submissive to the status quo and are unable to grasp that a coach should be able to put aside coach-player friendships for the good of the team.
You would have a legitimate gripe if Boullion was playing in the top pairing.

However, he is not.

Your legitimate gripe has now transformed into whining.

What do you want Therrien to do? Cut his ice time? Press box him? Why the whining? I am curious.

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 10:10 PM
ottawa*
go habs go

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostriver View Post
heck, some habs fans even criticise other habs fans for being critical.
Stop criticizing us

ottawa* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 10:17 PM
DamianHabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennisMenace View Post
I'm pessimistic because I think the playoffs are about grit and perseverance. We have no grit but mostly have glitz.

I have my doubts.
I don't think intimidation is partcularly relevant come playoff time. Of the guys you mentioned, it's highly unlikely that Orr or Thornton see all that much playoff playing time. Going shorthanded can be deadly in games that are invariably tight and low-scoring.

Grit and physicality, yes. Intimidation, no.

DamianHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 10:18 PM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAD HABSFAN View Post
i find it ironic that for as long as i can remember the fans are our teams worst enemy. i remember back in '93 how hard the fans were on roy and when he grabs the cup it almost seems like he curses the fans out [my speculation on his facial features as he yells something]. the year theo wins vezina i remember he was having average game and in a quiet moment a fan yelling down at him. its like WTF???

I was on another site and they were asking about what disapoints them this year?? really?? disappoints?? we are closer to 1st then 8th and they want to know whats disappointing??
12 cups in the first 30 years of my life, and none the next 20?

And no, I don't expect a cup every 3 years, but one every 10 would be ok. Face it, the Habs have sucked for way too long and deserve criticisms, and older fans can be expected not to get their hopes up.

I love this year's team, (I love every Habs team) but what's wrong with pointing out a few flaws when it comes to our ability to win a cup? After all, having seen them live winning about 8 of them, I can judge what it takes.

And it's not just cups. It's being a very good club over long periods, in contention talk year after year. We just have not been in that group since 1994. Inexcusable.

Last edited by bsl: 03-22-2013 at 10:35 PM.
bsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 10:22 PM
DamianHabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born in 1909 View Post
Excellent thread.

Love the calm and reasoned analysis.

The only issue that may bother me is the fans who only seem happy when they can complain.

No doubt about it though, a Hab cup run is freakin magical... hope we get to experience one.
I remember the four in the seventies and 86 but really, was there a more magical run than 1993? Ten OT victories??

The Habs are held to a very high standard because they are the Habs. Most storied franchise in the NHL and one of the most in all of sports. We've been through so many bad years - kind of what the Yankees went through in the 80's and early 90's - that this feels so good. I don't expect to win the cup this year but am very confident that we'll see one within the next three years and how many teams can honestly say that?

DamianHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 10:31 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennisMenace View Post

I have my doubts.
I'm not so pessimistic. I'm more concerned about facing the Penguins than any of those gritty teams (assuming all the injured Habs are back). As a matter of fact, the Leafs aren't a shoo-in to make the playoffs and even if they do their goals against will be a problem for them.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 10:37 PM
AcadiaAxeMan

Send a message via MSN to AcadiaAxeMan Send a message via Yahoo to AcadiaAxeMan
Hmm Just Being Honest .....

After out last CUP '93 - St Patrick put a gun to our heads and said "I will Never play another Game for this TEAM" (I hold him accountable for that) and THEN this epic anxiety attack coincides with the most inept management fiasco followed by another management fiasco, followed by another management fiasco .......poor trades, poor drafts, always excellent gate revenues = which franchise do you know??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Having the game changed is not good enough a reason why we were so ordinairy since our last cup run. 1 3rd round in 18ish years? Sorry but other teams were more succesful than we were. Not a lot of teams but a few more. And this Habs team had to have more success than we did. Yes....a lot more other teams were worst and still not looking good but somehow, I always prefer comparing my team to the best....That's more a winning approach than to be satisfied to not being the worst....

AcadiaAxeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 10:58 PM
No Team Needed

Quote:
After out last CUP '93 - St Patrick put a gun to our heads and said "I will Never play another Game for this TEAM"
He then apologized the next day and wanted to work things out but Corey told him they were trading him regardless.

This point always seems to be forgotten.

Montreal has a history of bad gun handling. The gun should be kept in a safe locked up so cooler heads can prevail. Instead of immediately shooting Roy/Turgeon/Tucker/Ribeiro/etc. into the sun the moment they express a negative emotion toward the team.

No Team Needed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 11:55 PM
29dryden29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lshap View Post
Hey, didn't realize we were about the same age! Past our bedtimes and still posting - we rock!

Wow - you've got a harder-core background than I do! I have two brothers, but I was the only one who played hockey growing up. My Dad drove me to the games but was pretty laid back about whether we won or lost. I watched the 1969 SCF on a tiny black & white TV, all alone in my Uncle's room while my relatives chatted elsewhere. I jumped up and down when the Habs beat St-Louis for the Cup, but nobody heard me or cared. Don't know what it was that hooked me - maybe it was that HNIC theme song - but it certainly wasn't family.

But as fondly as I remember those years of winning Cup after Cup, as much as I venerate the Beliveaus and Lafleurs and Bowmans and Pollocks and Robinsons and Savards and Mahovlichs, I don't really feel any connection between those guys and the guys who call themselves Habs today. The jersey is as familiar as my own skin (literally, in one embarrassing episode when I was 9), but I don't expect my team of today to be a dynasty anymore than I expect my scalp of today to have long, thick hair. Times change, teams change, the game changes, just as my expectations of life, friends and favourite sports team have changed. If the Habs win the Cup, I'll be at the parade with my wife and kids and camera, yelling at my two sons to CARVE THIS INTO YOUR MEMORY!, because these special moments don't happen often. Which is exactly why they're special. But until then I'm just enjoying the ride. I don't see it as a failure if we don't win the Cup, I just see it as part of really long foreplay.
LOL yes we are getting up there in age which could be part of the injuries I am suffering still doing al teh stuff I do like mountain biking motorcycle racing still playing hockey. My 4 kids are all HABS fans and I have instilled the same win or die trying attitude my family put into me lol. These days I don't really care about the names on the back of the jersey it is all about the crest on the front and it pisses me off to see in my opinion guys doning the jersey that see it as nothing more than a paycheque.

29dryden29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 11:57 PM
Bullsmith

Honestly I worry more about Leafs-fan-itis, where when we win a few we're planning the parade. Don't get me wrong, the habs fans turning ugly is a real thing that has cost us games. I've been in the building for at least three playoff games where the crowd was a factor in blowing a game that seemed to be safely in hand. But I've been to a dozen where the crowd was a factor in turning a game the other way.

Booing breezer for being overpaid didn't help the team. Management moving Gomer out rather than face the breezer effect didn't hurt it.

IMO

Bullsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 12:03 AM
905tech
HFBoards Sponsor

I don't believe they had more "Grit" when they went to the ECF finals than they do this year. In fact I think they have more grit this year.

That year they didn't lose because of grit, they lost because of untimely poor goal tending in the ECF.

As long as Price can play like he's SUPPOSED to play (yet to demonstrate IMO) The Habs can win the east (Beat Boston and Pittsburgh).

Once healthy, they can roll out 3 solid scoring lines and a very strong checking 4th line (if Moen starts playing like he did prior to the injury of last year).

905tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 01:19 AM
FinnHab

For me, it`s that long drought since 93. But at this moment, im optimistic

FinnHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 07:31 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
After out last CUP '93 - St Patrick put a gun to our heads and said "I will Never play another Game for this TEAM" (I hold him accountable for that) and THEN this epic anxiety attack coincides with the most inept management fiasco followed by another management fiasco, followed by another management fiasco .......poor trades, poor drafts, always excellent gate revenues = which franchise do you know??
Well I am amongst the oldest here...41 years old, so I do remember the last 70's team and beyond. So the Habs franchise I know, amongst the stories we heard about the past, is a franchise of success. We can't be called the best hockey franchise in history and have such a drought. As far as Roy....any sane GM would have stopped the leak and NOT trade Roy the way he did. He could have waited to get a much better trade. Yes...it might have been a distraction, but you don't correct a mistake with another. So honestly....put your rage towards the administration way more than Roy.

Old
03-23-2013, 07:43 AM
TennisMenace

Quote:
Originally Posted by techfox View Post
I don't believe they had more "Grit" when they went to the ECF finals than they do this year. In fact I think they have more grit this year.

That year they didn't lose because of grit, they lost because of untimely poor goal tending in the ECF.

As long as Price can play like he's SUPPOSED to play (yet to demonstrate IMO) The Habs can win the east (Beat Boston and Pittsburgh).

Once healthy, they can roll out 3 solid scoring lines and a very strong checking 4th line (if Moen starts playing like he did prior to the injury of last year).
3 solid scoring lines. I agree, if we can maintain that, we can be formidable. I'm more concerned about our smaller defense clearing out in front if CP. And then of course, I worry about CP.

Old
03-23-2013, 07:45 AM
TennisMenace

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Team Needed View Post
He then apologized the next day and wanted to work things out but Corey told him they were trading him regardless.

This point always seems to be forgotten.

Montreal has a history of bad gun handling. The gun should be kept in a safe locked up so cooler heads can prevail. Instead of immediately shooting Roy/Turgeon/Tucker/Ribeiro/etc. into the sun the moment they express a negative emotion toward the team.
Well said. We have all regretted those impulsive moments......for years.

Old
03-23-2013, 07:50 AM
Athlétique_Canadien

It's a part of our greedy culture. Look at Leaf fans versus us. If Ted Bundy was a Leaf he'd be adored even though he's a freak. If Bundy was a Hab we'd hunt him down & get rid of him. In Montreal, any sort of losing is UNACCEPTABLE & winning is a MUST! The two cultures are polar opposites!

With Habs fans winning is a must. We were very spoiled in the 70's with also 1 cup in '86 & the '93 one. To slip so far away from that into the dark days on the late 90's & the 1st decade of 2000 has been almost 2 decades of suffering for us. Take any Montreal fan in their late 30's & early 40's or beyond & you'll see this greed very closely. I myself hated Gretzky in the 80's for stealing our thunder. Did Gretzky deserve my hate? Absolutely not, I was just jealose.

Athlétique_Canadien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 07:54 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athlétique_Canadien View Post
It's a part of our greedy culture. Look at Leaf fans versus us. If Ted Bundy was a Leaf he'd be adored even though he's a freak. If Bundy was a Hab we'd hunt him down & get rid of him. In Montreal, any sort of losing is UNACCEPTABLE & winning is a MUST! The two cultures are polar opposites!

With Habs fans winning is a must. We were very spoiled in the 70's with also 1 cup in '86 & the '93 one. To slip so far away from that into the dark days on the late 90's & the 1st decade of 2000 has been almost 2 decades of suffering for us. Take any Montreal fan in their late 30's & early 40's or beyond & you'll see this greed very closely. I myself hated Gretzky in the 80's for stealing our thunder. Did Gretzky deserve my hate? Absolutely not, I was just jealose.
Yet, at one point....winning is a must is overrated. We haven't won in 18 years and what's happening now? Are there less people watching. Are there less people going at the rink? What it does is that we're frustrated and do wish we'd be the Red Wings who were a dominant team for the past years. As the most decorated franchise in the past, with our history, it should be time we go back at what the Wings were. That should be our goal. Instead of just being fine with the Leafs not having any success whatsoever and comparing ourselves to them...

Old
03-23-2013, 08:00 AM
Athlétique_Canadien

Another phenomenon that grips our fan base is differing attitudes. There's "the glass is empty", "the glass is half empty", "the glass is half full" & "our cup runneth over" type fans. I've encountered several fans that overrate us & severly underrate us in the same calander year. We likely argue amongst ourselves more than many other fan bases do.

Athlétique_Canadien is offline   Reply With Quote