Lucic and Horton

Old
03-22-2013, 12:33 PM
ToddRundgren
A Wizard A True Star

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post
Thanks to Lucic this team woke up and got the two points. He turned it on 3rd period, big time. Let's skip that though and keep the bashing up...Well done.

Lucic for Semin and Ryan Murphy. Get it done Chia!
Psssht, I'd trade him for a bag of pucks and Kadri's autographed stick at this point.

ToddRundgren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 12:36 PM
VeddarRants
HEART AND SOUL

Quote:
Originally Posted by westernhome View Post
I'd be happy with that stat if he was actually putting some force in his hits, when they do that stat so often what is called a "hit" is just some light contact..... watching Lucic it seems like he is hitting at 25% power now (Chara does the same, by the way)
I think when it comes to physicality people see what they want to see, especially when they expect everything to be youtube quality.

VeddarRants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 12:46 PM
Nightslyr

Send a message via AIM to Nightslyr
Quote:
Thanks to Lucic this team woke up and got the two points. He turned it on 3rd period, big time.
He did at that. After playing two of the worst periods of his professional career.

Lucic needs to do what he did in the 3rd more often than not. This season, aside from a competent first 3 weeks or so, he's been largely lethargic and emotionless.

And while his hits number may be high, let's remember that hits is a deeply flawed stat, and that even if he's hitting he's not hitting with authority. They've been far more of the "finishing my check" variety instead of "violently separating the player from the puck" variety.

In short, he shouldn't be fawned over for doing what he's paid to do. The effort he gave in the 3rd should be his default setting.

Nightslyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 12:53 PM
MTaylorJ1

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeddarRants View Post
I think when it comes to physicality people see what they want to see, especially when they expect everything to be youtube quality.
The only issue I have with Lucic is he's not shooting enough. The cynic in me thinks he's looking for Horton because his friend is in a contract year.

MTaylorJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 02:57 PM
missingchicklet

I'm not as down on Looch as a lot of people. Yeah, his production is down, but it's not like the whole team is setting things on fire. For the most part, Looch has been passing the puck well this year. He's had some real beauts in key situations. He's also laid some eggs at times, I understand that. I'm still glad he is a Bruin and not on another team. He is doing a good job away from the puck most of the time and is someone other teams do not like to see. Take Looch off this team and I don't think we would be as successful.

missingchicklet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 05:16 PM
bb_fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cursednumber6 View Post
I have been very compimentary of Lucic in the past. You will note that unlike other players, I don't bash him much and am quick to compliment him even brag about him. However something now occurs to me, I used to think Krejci and Lucic had a nic,e balanced symbiotic relationship. Lucic created space for Krejci and Krejci made plays with quickness for Lucic....Well, I think we are seeing that Krejci makes Lucic much more than Lucic makes Krejci. Lucic has fallen in love with passing the puck after all of two nice passes and he just isn't thinking the game well at all...I am off the bandwagon.
He should be shooting and hitting.

Passing and finesse is not his bread and butter.

bb_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 05:17 PM
WBC8

Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightslyr View Post
He did at that. After playing two of the worst periods of his professional career.

Lucic needs to do what he did in the 3rd more often than not. This season, aside from a competent first 3 weeks or so, he's been largely lethargic and emotionless.

And while his hits number may be high, let's remember that hits is a deeply flawed stat, and that even if he's hitting he's not hitting with authority. They've been far more of the "finishing my check" variety instead of "violently separating the player from the puck" variety.

In short, he shouldn't be fawned over for doing what he's paid to do. The effort he gave in the 3rd should be his default setting.
I agree with all this...but if he didn't turn it on, we get shutout IMO. Nobody else was stepping up to wake this team from it's coma.

WBC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 05:43 PM
JMiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by bb_fan View Post

Its funny- with that line whole line they suffer when they pass too much. They're all so much more effective when they're thinking shot first. That three on one they had early last night was a perfect example.

JMiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 05:45 PM
C77

Horton is infuriating. No one expects him to play a physical game like Neely but you've got to be willing to get your nose dirty.

There is such a huge contrast between a guy like Marchand who wins battles against defensemen who are 40 lbs heavier than him and Horton who is a big dude just coasting around.

C77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 06:20 PM
unifiedtheory
Twitter: @ut_pez

Quote:
Originally Posted by C77 View Post
Horton is infuriating. No one expects him to play a physical game like Neely but you've got to be willing to get your nose dirty.

There is such a huge contrast between a guy like Marchand who wins battles against defensemen who are 40 lbs heavier than him and Horton who is a big dude just coasting around.
I feel the same about Horton but I am feeling the same way about Lucic right now.

I don't care about numbers, I care about what I see players doing. They are both simply not working hard enough. Lucic is REGULARLY bailing out of hits. He passes on at least a couple per game, situations that two years ago he would have put a guy into the third row he is skating by them without even a bump.

Horton is Horton. He is odd. He has the fantastic hockey sense to get into great positions for shots and chances but at the same time has no hockey sense what so ever. His shot is terrible and slow.

I truly believe that if we got ourselves a sniper type, someone with a better shot, he'd flourish with David Krejci.

Nathan Horton is a 20 goal scorer who falls into 30 once or twice because of unwarranted icetime and circumstance. I honestly don't think he is a very good hockey player.

Milan Lucic is just plain lazy right now. I hope it does not last of course because he will be the catalyst if this team does what we all expect them to...make a deep run in the playoffs.

unifiedtheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 06:28 PM
C77

You're right they aren't working hard enough and last year's fatigue excuse no longer applies. They get criticized by Julien and then come out and have a dominant performance for one game. Then they disappear again.

C77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 06:31 PM
unifiedtheory
Twitter: @ut_pez

Quote:
Originally Posted by C77 View Post
You're right they aren't working hard enough and last year's fatigue excuse no longer applies. They get criticized by Julien and then come out and have a dominant performance for one game. Then they disappear again.
Fatigue is a cop out. Every player and every team is tired. Lucic is lazy and Horton is what he is and always will be, a guy who will wake up and set the World afire for 2 weeks and then slink off into the ether for a month or more.

unifiedtheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 08:19 PM
Neely08

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMiller View Post
Its funny- with that line whole line they suffer when they pass too much. They're all so much more effective when they're thinking shot first. That three on one they had early last night was a perfect example.
That's it right there. Rip the ****in thing, drive to the net, knock anyone over not wearing a B's uniform, they'll score goals.

Neely08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 09:21 PM
bigcat188

Watching Horton play makes my eyes hurt,and Lucic is not much better.

bigcat188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 09:24 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcat188 View Post
Watching Horton play makes my eyes hurt,and Lucic is not much better.
There isn't an OFF button on your TV set?

Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 09:28 PM
bigcat188

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Screw you!!

bigcat188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 10:01 PM
Mr. Make-Believe
Pass me another nail

Quote:

No kidding. "I'm the world's biggest Bruins fan. But watching them play makes me want to kill myself!"

Mr. Make-Believe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 11:42 PM
chippa13*

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcat188 View Post
Screw you!!
Careful

. artemis may run off and quit the boards for evahhhh

And come back a day later......

chippa13* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 11:45 PM
chippa13*

Quote:
I agree with all this...but if he didn't turn it on, we get shutout IMO. Nobody else was stepping up to wake this team from it's coma.
Lou....you get the bag of my undercarriage shavings I overnighted you?

I know I would have to battle Artemis for your love....but I am down with the clown

chippa13* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 12:10 AM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by zylos45 View Post
Careful

. artemis may run off and quit the boards for evahhhh

And come back a day later......
Since when is taking a week's break (not a day, sorry) quitting the boards?

Sometimes the trolls get on your nerves and you need to get away for a while, as some fellow posters have done/do. Then you tell yourself to at the trolls.

So,

Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 12:19 AM
Bone for your jar

Quote:
Originally Posted by bb_fan View Post

No? Lucic is third on the B's for assists (13) and assists per game (.46) this season, exceeded only by Bergeron and Krejci.

He has better assist numbers than Parise, Neal, Marleau, Penner, Prust, Van Riemsdyk and Winnik, to name a few other left wingers.

The fact that he's made some bad passes lately (half of these, to my eyes, look like a question of mis-communication/lack of synch with linemates, more than anything) doesn't mean he should stop passing, any more than his mediocre shooting percentage this season (8.5, compared to 17.3 and 17.4 in the previous two seasons) means he should stop shooting.

Bone for your jar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 12:29 AM
Bruwinz37

Quote:
Since when is taking a week's break (not a day, sorry) quitting the boards?

Sometimes the trolls get on your nerves and you need to get away for a while, as some fellow posters have done/do. Then you tell yourself to at the trolls.

So,
Anyone who happens to give an opinion that isnt absolutely glowing about a Bruin you attack. You are an absolute fan girl and pretty much drag down any conversation here. If you cant see that Lucic and Horton are doing nothing more than going through motions than that pretty much proves everything.

The whole idea of "if you dont like it then turn it off" is about as juvenile as it gets.

Bruwinz37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 12:37 AM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

This season so far is exactly why I'm glad Chia didn't quickly lock up Horts. He's nowhere near the player he was pre concussion which isn't shocking but aside from the lack of physicality he's just lazing around most nights. It may be best to just let him walk in the off season and get him away from Lucic.

dredeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 12:40 AM
Bruwinz37

Horton needs to take a game in the press box. Its an easy call for Claude. I have no question that if you call him out on the carpet he will come back with some inspired play. Furthermore he needs that on an ongoing basis. Benching a guy like Peverly is pretty meaningless if you are going to let Horton keep on floating.

Bruwinz37 is offline   Reply With Quote