HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Brian, the Bold and Beautiful

Closed Thread

Old
03-22-2013, 04:55 PM
bjac

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Does an opinion count as my own only if it agrees with yours?

Between the bipolarity, the constant whining about height, contracts, soft goals, fighting, ex-habs; the constant looking for a scapegoat; the inferiority complex...why give an opinion? Unless a player is 6'7 UFC fighter playing for 900k a year while putting up 85 points habs fans will just whine about everything.

It has come to the point where size, contract and ability to fight has determined the value and contributions of a player on these boards. The smaller you are, the more your paid and the less you fight increases your chances of becoming a scapegoat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy
Exaggerating and blowing things out of proportion is claiming that the team will collapse because Prust got injured and to look at the NYR as proof of what happens when you lose Prust. That is an exaggeration.

Posting here is just not enjoyable anymore. Different opinions don't bother me, but it isn't even opinions anymore, it's just ideology taking hold. Size, contract and fighting ability have come first in almost any discussion about any player not on the 1st line. It's just absurd, since the Boston game in 10-11 I have never seen a fan base so insecure, it's just pathetic, annoying an exhausting.

Wait until Gallagher makes 5.5 million a year, then his size+contract combo will be the most ideal condition for being a scapegoat. Watch the discussion on Desharnais in the next few years now that he has received an increase in cap hit.

Saku Koivu was treated like dirt over here and was only really appreciated when he left because it fit the whole ex-habs loving mentality that goes around here. People blamed him for the trade of Ribeiro claiming that Koivu forced Gainey's hand. Remember the whole koivu doesn't Kovalev story? Koivu was far from being unanimously loved around here and was often blamed for a lot of the team's problems, some going on to call him the worst captain in habs history.
I couldn't agree more. The quality of HFboards discussions has gone downhill at a consistant pace over the last 5 years. The amount of posters who have black and white views on the topics being discussed is growing on a daily basis. It has gotten to the point where most threads are nausiating to read because of the lack of REAL educated hockey discussion. Nowadays its just speculation, flaming and then more speculation.

Just try to remember that a black and white, absolute opinion that is not willing to change, remove bias, accomodate new information or look at the big picture is a direct sign of a lack of intelligence... Therefore, you shouldn't really let those types of posts get under your skin.

Old
03-22-2013, 04:56 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post

That was a pretty clearly a joke, the 86 Habs were probably the toughest of the cup winning teams. But it is certainly true that a fraction of fans hated Koivu because "you can't win with smurfs."
Blasphemy.

Naslund and Koivu were two players that I enjoyed watching. Much like Gallagher and Desharnais. Small guys but incredible compete levels.

Old
03-22-2013, 05:01 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjac View Post
I couldn't agree more. The quality of HFboards discussions has gone downhill at a consistant pace over the last 5 years. The amount of posters who have black and white views on the topics being discussed is growing on a daily basis. It has gotten to the point where most threads are nausiating to read because of the lack of REAL educated hockey discussion. Nowadays its just speculation, flaming and then more speculation.

Just try to remember that the black and white, absolute opinions that are not willing to change or accomodate new information or insight is a direct sign of a lack of intelligence... Therefore, you should really let those types of posts get under your skin.
Five years of pathetic leadership from the GM and the coach will do that. Carbo was a joke. Martin was a bigger joke. Gainey lost his edge and Gauthier was the worst GM ever.

Many people bought into what Gainey and Gauthier were selling. Soft hockey.

The reason that I joined HFBoards was Gauthier and Martin. My wife got tired of me complaining about the GM and the coach. So I came here to vent.

Sure, I have caught flack for going against the grain and people like Andy call that a decline in the boards. I call it dissent and desire for a change.

We are starting to see change in culture in Montreal. Some people are embracing it. Some are disliking it.

Its just the internet and it beats the hell out of pissing the wife off every other day.

Old
03-22-2013, 05:01 PM
Lshap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
We can only hope since no NHL team has won a cup with the so many sub-5'10'' players playing big minutes unless we date back to a different era where everyone was smaller. We need a mix, which is what almost every team that end up winning the cup have.

Currently, half the top 6 are players that take A LOT of physical damage/thrown around. Two in the top six that take some damage occasionally but have enough size/strength to not be affected by it too much. One in the top 6 that can dish out damage to opposition D and take damage from most D without being knocked down/etc. Indeed, Clowe has zero goals this season and struggling much like most of the Skarks outside of that hot start to the season, yet, he adds an element to our top 6 no one gives. Balance is the common factor among the cup winners. Habs are lacking it in size and grit. I'm sure Bergevin sees it too as his first big move was 'overpaying' for Prust.
The simple reality is that the better the Habs become, the harder it is to find players who can improve them. Clowe is no longer that guy.

Old
03-22-2013, 05:48 PM
Dharvey33

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
I get what you are saying.

One man's Gomez is another man's Gionta/Desharnais/Boullion/Price/Gorges/Plekanec/etc. though.
One man's trash is another man's come up

Old
03-22-2013, 06:16 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
I definitely agree with you, but I'm not sure that dead-weight Ryane Clowe in our top 6 is the answer right now. We do need a mix and I suspect Bergevin will add a player in the Clowe mold (if not Clowe himself) at the deadline, but the fact remains that we are pulling off what people never said we could right now - put together a winning team with so many small players.

I'm not taking anything for granted, and I hope we keep it going. Our team has heart, and for being such an intangibles-driven sport, many often (not directing that at you here) seem to overlook that.
The Clowe mold is rare, which is why even with his struggles this season Clowe will likely fetch a lot. He's still in prime age and historically consistent. Adding him top the top 6 or even top 9 instantly gives the team an added element, including 'intangibles' that only Prust and Moen (not much this season) provide.

Just because something is good now doesn't mean it will continue to be good. In business, companies with an amazing product still have to innovate and improve/prepare for the future because the rest of the competitors will adapt as time goes on. I don't think it's wise to just stay idle thinking, 30 games in and we're winning with so many small players, therefore there's nothing wrong with continuing the path.

Example - In 2007/2008 the Habs were lighting team up on the PP at over 24% conversion rate. One of the best powerplays in recent history leading the Habs to being 1st seed in the Eastern Conference and most goals in the league. Come playoffs...it was just over 14%. Teams adapted. Habs weren't balanced enough to overcome it.

My point - Just because such a small top 6 looks like it can be relied on to bring success now doesn't mean we shouldn't be looking to make it bigger and more balanced. It's being proactive rather than waiting for injuries and losses and being reactive. Proactive vs reactive. The Ryder move was proactive. The Kaberle move was reactive. I think and hope Bergevin is a proactive GM.

Old
03-22-2013, 06:20 PM
icerocket

Get Clowe if the price is reasonable.

Old
03-22-2013, 06:23 PM
Krautso

Size and physicality are nice but talent wins in this league. Gio's tip last night was a beaut and theres not many players who can make that play. Gio and gallagher both provided great screens and went to the dirty areas to help create goals. What we have..speed, talent and character seem to work for us so why would we be so eager to change that?

If we get bigger it will come at a cost. We can trade speed for size..talent for physicality. Then we become the maple leafs and everyone will be happy...right?

Old
03-22-2013, 06:43 PM
InglewoodJack

vCash: 1340
Quote:
For being so untalented, have a look at Gionta another small guy:

Come again.

I get that size is important to a certain extent, but it's become such an inferiority complex on these parts dating back to the whole "smurfs" ********, that it's really gotten to a whole new level of delusion. The numbers don't lie. Our "small" players are scoring and we are the best team in the Eastern Conference for much of this season so far.

Maybe, just maybe, the guys up there know what they're doing and we don't need 0-goal Ryane Clowe replacing Brian Gionta.
Not 'replacing', but I have a feeling that say the team makes the Cup finals, you're gonna be playing a bigger team in the west, and it's going to be a concern at that point. Not sure I'm sold on Clowe, but I'd even like to get a Talbot-type player on the bottom 6.

Old
03-22-2013, 06:58 PM
WhiskeySeven
Enlarged Member

I'm surrounded by French dudes dancing to French house music.

I wish there was a GDT would much prefer that.

My feet hurt.

Old
03-22-2013, 07:38 PM
groovejuice

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post

My feet hurt.

Stop dancing en pointe with those guys. Try slow dancing with them instead.

And drink lots of absinthe.

Old
03-22-2013, 08:03 PM
Lshap

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post

My feet hurt.

My buddy canceled on me, my wife and sons are at a movie, and I'm sitting in my kitchen eating Thai Express. You came to the wrong place for sympathy.

Old
03-22-2013, 08:18 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
For being so untalented, have a look at Gionta another small guy:

Come again.

I get that size is important to a certain extent, but it's become such an inferiority complex on these parts dating back to the whole "smurfs" ********, that it's really gotten to a whole new level of delusion. The numbers don't lie. Our "small" players are scoring and we are the best team in the Eastern Conference for much of this season so far.

Maybe, just maybe, the guys up there know what they're doing and we don't need 0-goal Ryane Clowe replacing Brian Gionta.
So, in other words he ranks #28 among RWers for scoring.

Gionta isn't as bad as some people make him out to be (although he was terrible for a stretch), but he's definitely lost something. Not sure what it is, but he just doesn't seem as smart, offensively, anymore.

Old
03-22-2013, 08:28 PM
SB164

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lshap View Post
My buddy canceled on me, my wife and sons are at a movie, and I'm sitting in my kitchen eating Thai Express. You came to the wrong place for sympathy.
That doesn't sound so bad. What did you order?

Old
03-22-2013, 08:35 PM
No Team Needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeCB View Post
So, in other words he ranks #28 among RWers for scoring.

Gionta isn't as bad as some people make him out to be (although he was terrible for a stretch), but he's definitely lost something. Not sure what it is, but he just doesn't seem as smart, offensively, anymore.
Several leg and ankle injuries. He lost a step. He's still a 20 goal forward and brings more than just stats to the plate.

Old
03-22-2013, 08:46 PM
Lshap

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB164 View Post
That doesn't sound so bad. What did you order?
Curry (green) with chicken. That's done, now I'm onto BBQ chips.

Now I'm waiting for someone to ask me what I'm wearing.

Old
03-22-2013, 08:53 PM
onice

Quote:
Cup-winning teams didn't begin and end with Boston (thank god).
DD
Gallagher
Gionta
Dumont
Bouillon
(We won;t count Pleks). Those are all good players in their own right but when you combined all of them on the same team you're asking for trouble.

Yeah the Habs are among the elite teams this year. But that's during the regular season. The playoffs are a whole different ball of wax.

Here are the Cup winners for the last little while

LA Kings
Boston Bruins
Chicago Blackhawks
Pittsburgh Pens
Detroit Red Wings
Anaheim Ducks
Carolina Hurricanes

Can you point to any team on that list that had AS MANY small players as we do this year?

I'm not saying they didn't have ANY small player. I'm saying they didn't have AS MANY.

To win the cup you need a near perfect mix of talent, grit, drive and SIZE. This Habs team has the first three in spades but it's short on the last characteristic. And I think if we don't make any changes it will be our undoing this year.

Old
03-22-2013, 08:58 PM
Habsawce

vCash: 200
If MTL wins the cup, next year half the teams will have multiple small speedy forwards.

Old
03-22-2013, 09:16 PM
BobbyFischer*

Quote:

What are you wearing, bibi?

Old
03-22-2013, 09:27 PM
Sunaaj*

Quote:

What are you wearing?

Old
03-22-2013, 09:27 PM
SB164

Quote:

I almost always get the same thing. General Tao, spicy, extra chicken.

Old
03-22-2013, 09:33 PM
BobbyFischer*

Quote:
I almost always get the same thing. General Tao, spicy, extra chicken.
Thai Express has General tao??? wtf? srsly?

Old
03-22-2013, 11:06 PM
No Team Needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by onice View Post
DD
Gallagher
Gionta
Dumont
Bouillon
(We won;t count Pleks). Those are all good players in their own right but when you combined all of them on the same team you're asking for trouble.
Still waiting for trouble...

Old
03-22-2013, 11:10 PM
SB164

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyFischer View Post
Thai Express has General tao??? wtf? srsly?
They call it General Thai:

Old
03-22-2013, 11:29 PM
BobbyFischer*

Quote:
They call it General Thai:

Wow...

I feel like such an idiot.

Def getting this next time, thx.

Closed Thread