HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)

Your opinion on Shootout. Keep it or Scrap it?

View Poll Results: Shootouts
Keep it the way it is 34 16.04%
Scrap that gimmick 124 58.49%
Use it after an extended overtime. 54 25.47%
Voters: 212. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-22-2013, 05:25 PM
  #26
Jeepers Creeper
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Helsinki
Country: Finland
Posts: 3,195
vCash: 500
Keep it. Ties are boring. I'd much rather have the shootouts implemented in a 3 point system though.

Jeepers Creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 05:26 PM
  #27
Bourne Endeavor
Moderator
( _)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)
 
Bourne Endeavor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,733
vCash: 13357
I actually do not mind the shootout at all. Certainly better than a tie. I would rather they eliminate the loser point. That said, 4 vs. 4 then 3 vs. 3 would be interesting.

Bourne Endeavor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 05:40 PM
  #28
leaflover
New hope
 
leaflover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: beautiful B.C
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,910
vCash: 4850
I don't even watch them anymore. Thats how exciting i find them.

leaflover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 06:39 PM
  #29
Seth Rollins
Mr Money In The Bank
 
Seth Rollins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,114
vCash: 500
The shootout's been around for decades, and has decided gold medal games in international hockey, yet it somehow isn't worthy of deciding NHL regular season games. Soccer also has penalty kicks, virtually the same thing.

Keep it.

Seth Rollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 06:41 PM
  #30
Machinehead
Brauch und Stolz
 
Machinehead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New York New York
Country: Germany
Posts: 33,339
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth Rollins View Post
The shootout's been around for decades, and has decided gold medal games in international hockey, yet it somehow isn't worthy of deciding NHL regular season games. Soccer also has penalty kicks, virtually the same thing.

Keep it.
Yeah that I don't understand. A shootout can decide the World Cup Final, the single biggest game in the world, and it can't decide a regular season NHL game

__________________


DEUTSCHLANDWELTMEISTER2014
Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 07:07 PM
  #31
NorthStar4Canes
Registered User
 
NorthStar4Canes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,154
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
Yeah that I don't understand. A shootout can decide the World Cup Final, the single biggest game in the world, and it can't decide a regular season NHL game
If being a stupid gimmick weren't enough, "because soccer does it" alone would be reason enough to scrap it.

NorthStar4Canes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 07:36 PM
  #32
Machinehead
Brauch und Stolz
 
Machinehead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New York New York
Country: Germany
Posts: 33,339
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStar4Canes View Post
If being a stupid gimmick weren't enough, "because soccer does it" alone would be reason enough to scrap it.
It's not "because soccer does it". It's because shootouts settle much more important things than your average NHL game and yet somehow are a "gimmick".

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 07:41 PM
  #33
manilaNJ
Optimism: Unwavering
 
manilaNJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 5,420
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schalkenullvier View Post
lol people want to get rid of the shootout but they don't want ties either. If you introduce 10 minute overtimes, half the games will still be tied after that. And then?

Keep it, and use the 3-2-1 point system.
All of this right here.
The shootout is exciting, live at the game - but afterwards I always come away unsatisfied with how the game was decided.

But it's not even close to how unsatisfied I used to feel when games ended in a tie.

Make regulation wins worth more and the 'skills competition' doesn't come with so much weight.

manilaNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 08:07 PM
  #34
hardcorehabs
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 212
vCash: 500
5 min 4 on 4.
Followed by,
5 min 3 on 3.

Nothing happens, tie game.

hardcorehabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 11:40 PM
  #35
NorthStar4Canes
Registered User
 
NorthStar4Canes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,154
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
It's not "because soccer does it". It's because shootouts settle much more important things than your average NHL game and yet somehow are a "gimmick".
I disagree that the World Cup final is more important than any hockey game, played anywhere, even if you could make a case that the way one sport decides something is how another sport should based-on some sort of imagined "importance hierarchy".

In other words: Who cares how soccer decides things...it's about as relevant to hockey as freakin' basketball or cricket.

NorthStar4Canes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 06:40 PM
  #36
Screw You Rick Nash
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨
 
Screw You Rick Nash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Brooklyn, New NY
Country: United States
Posts: 27,282
vCash: 3000
The CCHA is the only college hockey conference that has shootouts. This is the CCHA's last season.

__________________
++++++++++[>+++++++>++++++++++>+++>+<<<<
-]>++++++.>+.+++++++++++++++.>+++++++++.<-.
>-------.<<-----.>----.>.<<+++++++++++.>-------------
-.+++++++++++++.-------.--.+++++++++++++.+.>+.>.

New and improved Hockey Standings
"A jimmie for a jimmie makes the whole world rustled." -31-
Screw You Rick Nash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 07:22 PM
  #37
laundryman
Registered User
 
laundryman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 973
vCash: 500
I want to see that alternating Power Play idea that someone posted here a few weeks ago. Every one of my hockey friends that I told that to loved it.

laundryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 07:31 PM
  #38
saskriders
ColinGreening's#1fan
 
saskriders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Calgary/Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,116
vCash: 1322
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
It's not "because soccer does it". It's because shootouts settle much more important things than your average NHL game and yet somehow are a "gimmick".
It's a gimmick in all those things more important than an average NHL game too

saskriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 07:45 PM
  #39
5RingsAndABeer
John MacKinnon Fan
 
5RingsAndABeer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 10,726
vCash: 1220
Use it after 10min 4v4 OT

5RingsAndABeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 02:09 AM
  #40
Bruv
Loveless
 
Bruv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Hamsterdam
Country: Finland
Posts: 52,874
vCash: 50
It's much better than a tie but scrap it. Just have continuous OT or one 10 minute OT than the SO

Bruv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 03:47 AM
  #41
Candyman
Registered User
 
Candyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Evansville, Indiana
Country: United States
Posts: 1,135
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SensFanDan View Post
It's a farce. Team sports should never be decided by individual effort, but rather by team effort and coaching.

Get rid of it and replace with 4 v 4 for five to ten minutes.
Yeah Individual's goals shouldn't count towards the team total. Especially those unassisted ones, absolutely disgraceful....

Wow. Just Wow.

Candyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 03:52 AM
  #42
DuckJet
#KESBAE
 
DuckJet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Funkytown
Country: Kazakhstan
Posts: 36,258
vCash: 69
Change the point values 3 for win, 2 for OTW, 1 for OTL. Keep the shootout. The tie is ridiculous. You go home after the game and your buddies ask "who won?" and you answer "...nobody...it was a tie." Europe can be fine with that all they want. it's lame.

I go to games to see my team win. Not reach a stalemate.

DuckJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 03:57 AM
  #43
DuckJet
#KESBAE
 
DuckJet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Funkytown
Country: Kazakhstan
Posts: 36,258
vCash: 69
Also, I love how people think shootouts are basically a crapshoot You people do know that shootouts are something teams work on in practice right? There's such a thing as good shootout shooters and goalies. It isn't quite a crapshoot. Having the right players in your lineup can give you the upper hand on another team.

DuckJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 11:44 AM
  #44
iPunch
Leafs Fan
 
iPunch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,108
vCash: 133
There's nothing worse than ended an exciting OT for a shootout.

iPunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 02:36 PM
  #45
peate
Habs fan 4 life.
 
peate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Island
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,567
vCash: 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardcorehabs View Post
5 min 4 on 4.
Followed by,
5 min 3 on 3.

Nothing happens, tie game.
This!

peate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 04:06 PM
  #46
Pyrophorus
Registered User
 
Pyrophorus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Eastern GTA
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,882
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Pyrophorus Send a message via Yahoo to Pyrophorus Send a message via Skype™ to Pyrophorus
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Hate Chris Butler View Post
Better than a tie. Keep it.
Disagree.

Pyrophorus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 04:10 PM
  #47
Pyrophorus
Registered User
 
Pyrophorus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Eastern GTA
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,882
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Pyrophorus Send a message via Yahoo to Pyrophorus Send a message via Skype™ to Pyrophorus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth Rollins View Post
The shootout's been around for decades, and has decided gold medal games in international hockey, yet it somehow isn't worthy of deciding NHL regular season games. Soccer also has penalty kicks, virtually the same thing.

Keep it.
So you mean introduce it in playoff games/specialty tournaments,
since those are the only times in soccer that it is used.

Pyrophorus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 09:03 PM
  #48
Morlesio14*
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: The 416
Country: North Korea
Posts: 776
vCash: 500
I hate shootouts

Morlesio14* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 10:01 PM
  #49
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high
 
Blueline Bomber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 21,673
vCash: 500
Extend OT to 10 minutes. If game is still tied after that, so be it. Clearly, the two teams were evenly matched for that game. No need to force a winner.

Blueline Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 07:30 AM
  #50
lboogie42*
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 4,746
vCash: 500
i hate shootouts cuz the winner of the shootout doesnt deserve the win. ive seen games where teams just barely score a goal, get owned in OT and barely survive, then win in a shootout. the winner of it doesnt really deserve it. it should just be a tie after a 20 min OT period. that or 3 five min OT

lboogie42* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:25 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.