HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

The Process of Trading Jarome Iginla Has Begun - Part 2

Closed Thread

Old
03-22-2013, 11:24 PM
roready
Brink, Truth, Life

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tender Rip View Post
Are you crazy?
Maybe. But I don't think LA wants him. I haven't seen a good offer being thrown around from LA fans.

I saw Clifford + Pearson + 1st. I don't see that doing it.

How about Pennar + Ellerby + 2nd.

I'm just trying to get the conversation started on LA and Calgary for Iginla. Tell me what LA would give up for Iginla, or doesn't LA want him?

Old
03-22-2013, 11:38 PM
Black1963
Weal Deal, No Doubt!

vCash: 1840
Quote:
Originally Posted by roready View Post
What is LA going to give up for Iginla?

Brown and a 1st?
lol.

We'll give you Roach + a conditional 2nd. This is as good as it's gonna get for a rental.

Old
03-22-2013, 11:51 PM
superhakan
Gaudreauby Baker

vCash: 50
For those who think it will only take a 2nd and garbage to get Jarome:

http://thehockeywriters.com/jarome-i...-for-a-legend/

Old
03-23-2013, 12:01 AM
Killswitch7187
Winter is here

Yeah, love how people think it'll take a 2nd or even a conditional 1st to get Iginla. It's a concrete 1st round pick. (And more.)

People forget Jarome controls this process, and the team he goes to. So let's put two and two together: He would have a fairly good chance of re-signing with the team he CHOSE to go to. It's wouldn't exactly be a "risk" to the GM acquiring him, since they're obviously on Iginla's top wish-list to begin with. Purely speculation on my part, but come on, even forgetting the re-signing aspect, the guy's market value is 1st + good prospect + decent NHL player. I'd find the argument that finds his value larger than that, more compelling than one that tries to say it's lower.

Old
03-23-2013, 12:04 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Lol, that article uses the Jeff Carter trades as a basis for examples as to what a 35+ UFA rental would be. Ridiculous. The Flames are dealing from a position of weakness. Iginla is winding down and not the same player he was even from a year ago. While they may land a mid to low first round pick, the Flames aren't going to get high quality players or prospects in return. Hossa on his prime as a UFA was dealt for a grinder and some prospects who turned into minor leaguers. Another example would be Keith Tkachuk, who was dealt for a minor leaguer and draft picks.

Old
03-23-2013, 12:18 AM
EastonBlues22
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
Lol, that article uses the Jeff Carter trades as a basis for examples as to what a 35+ UFA rental would be. Ridiculous. The Flames are dealing from a position of weakness. Iginla is winding down and not the same player he was even from a year ago. While they may land a mid to low first round pick, the Flames aren't going to get high quality players or prospects in return. Hossa on his prime as a UFA was dealt for a grinder and some prospects who turned into minor leaguers. Another example would be Keith Tkachuk, who was dealt for a minor leaguer and draft picks.
Tkachuk was traded a couple of times.

The first time was for Handzus, Nagy, Taffe, and a 1st. The second time was for Metropolit, 1st, 2nd, 3rd as an 18 game rental. Metropolit was a serviceable NHL player, if completely unremarkable...far from a minor leaguer anyway. He had 157 NHL games played at the time of the trade.

Not a great example of the point you're trying to make, IMO.

Old
03-23-2013, 12:40 AM
Some Other Flame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killswitch7187 View Post
Yeah, love how people think it'll take a 2nd or even a conditional 1st to get Iginla. It's a concrete 1st round pick. (And more.)

People forget Jarome controls this process, and the team he goes to. So let's put two and two together: He would have a fairly good chance of re-signing with the team he CHOSE to go to. It's wouldn't exactly be a "risk" to the GM acquiring him, since they're obviously on Iginla's top wish-list to begin with. Purely speculation on my part, but come on, even forgetting the re-signing aspect, the guy's market value is 1st + good prospect + decent NHL player. I'd find the argument that finds his value larger than that, more compelling than one that tries to say it's lower.
Happens each and every deadline. Select fans believe it's too risky to trade a first for a rental and that it won't happen. And then firsts are moved for rentals or roster players and the naysayers go away for a while. Then the following season those same select fans come out and say it's too risky to move a first for a rental and that it'll never happen. Some people just don't have the capacity learn evidently.

Old
03-23-2013, 12:42 AM
Qubax

I think one of the things that might make the Kings a good fit is that Dean Lombardi has a track record of ponying up good value....and he may be motivated to finding a way to get a deal done since Darryl would LOVE to coach Jarome again.

Old
03-23-2013, 12:46 AM
Stats01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petes2424 View Post
They're going to get a 1st and an above average prospect. Nothing more, nothing less. It's just what team is going to give the better prospect.
Agreed, a team would be nuts to give up a 1st, a good prospect and a roster player for a 38 year old who is really starting to show his age. He'll be a nice complimentary scorer for a team like Pittsburgh for their cup run but that's it. His value IMO is exactly what Petes 2424 thinks it is...a 1st and a decent prospect, that's it. Calgary should've traded him like 2 years ago to get the kind of return they are looking for.

Old
03-23-2013, 12:46 AM
Qubax

Okay I know this probably sounds crazy, but what about this offer:

Kozun
Pearson
Vey
Forbort
Martinez
1st 2014
1st 2015

For

Iginla
Jackman
Giordano
Sarich
2nd - 2014
3rd - 2015

Old
03-23-2013, 12:48 AM
Black1963
Weal Deal, No Doubt!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Some Other Flame View Post
Happens each and every deadline. Select fans believe it's too risky to trade a first for a rental and that it won't happen. And then firsts are moved for rentals or roster players and the naysayers go away for a while. Then the following season those same select fans come out and say it's too risky to move a first for a rental and that it'll never happen. Some people just don't have the capacity learn evidently.
Well, let me ask you this then. If Brown was a pending ufa, how much would you offer for his services of possible 15 games?

Old
03-23-2013, 12:50 AM
Black1963
Weal Deal, No Doubt!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qubax View Post

Kozun
Pearson
Vey
Forbort
Martinez
1st 2014
1st 2015

For

Iginla
Jackman
Giordano
Sarich
2nd - 2014
3rd - 2015
Fantasy league much? lol

Old
03-23-2013, 12:58 AM
cubsfan999

Quote:

Kozun
Pearson
Vey
Forbort
Martinez
1st 2014
1st 2015

For

Iginla
Jackman
Giordano
Sarich
2nd - 2014
3rd - 2015
somebody need maybe to add feefth to make work. Not saying who does :, cause (it) obvious?

Last edited by cubsfan999: 03-23-2013 at 12:59 AM. Reason: English no good
Old
03-23-2013, 12:59 AM
Julius Caesar Milan
Lord of the Shih Tzu

vCash: 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by roready View Post
What is LA going to give up for Iginla?

Brown and a 1st?
This has to be a post made to get a reaction.

While Dustin Brown is not and will probably never be the player Iginla was in his prime, Dustin is 28, Jarome is 35. We'll leave it at that

Old
03-23-2013, 01:02 AM
Julius Caesar Milan
Lord of the Shih Tzu

vCash: 863
Quote:

Kozun
Pearson
Vey
Forbort
Martinez
1st 2014
1st 2015

For

Iginla
Jackman
Giordano
Sarich
2nd - 2014
3rd - 2015
The Kings don't need all those guys. Just Iginla and Giordano

Edit=I just saw Giordano's contract. The Kings can't take him on

Last edited by Julius Caesar Milan: 03-23-2013 at 01:11 AM.
Old
03-23-2013, 01:22 AM
Some Other Flame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black1963 View Post
Well, let me ask you this then. If Brown was a pending ufa, how much would you offer for his services of possible 15 games?
Assuming the Flames were actually cup contenders, had a shot to go deep into the playoffs and not only had a hole on the LW, but believed a player like Brown would put them over the top? The required price, of course. And if that necessitated a first round, then so be it.

Winning the cup is what the game is all about, not a picking a prospect that may or may not pan out. Do Kings fans regret trading a first for Carter last season? What if Carter had been a UFA and walked last summer, would they regret that trade still? The correct answer is no, of course not, since it got them the cup.

Old
03-23-2013, 01:53 AM
SidsBackhand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jiggyfly View Post
Hossa never played a full season with Crosby, so there is no way to compare any true stats.

He and Hossa took until the second round of the playoffs until they found their chemistry, so you can't base anything off the 12 games of the regular season and point production drops in the playoffs. Anyone who watched those two play together from round two on could see Crosby and Hossa were on another level together.

Trying to say Crosby doesn't work well with creative players has to be one of the most asinine arguments I have ever read on here.

The best player in the world, doesn't work well with creative players...

Ok...

Totally plausible.

I watched and I still think Crosby works just as well with Kunitz. Being that the premise was: that was when Crosby was "at his best", then using the argument that they didn't have time to "build chemistry" is basically you admitting that you're wrong.

They were great, yes. He CAN work with a playmaker. But AT HIS BEST? Not in a long shot.

So if Shero, why break up point production? (that is better than with Hossa) To go after another playmaker? If it's not broke, don't fix it. It's not like it would be an obvious upgrade.

Old
03-23-2013, 01:58 AM
Yzerplan
I has one.

Flames are likely to keep Iginla and re-sign him if all NHL GMs are willing to offer is lowball deals.

Something like a 1st in 2013 or 2014, a replacement player for Iginla and a mid level prospect would likely be the price.

Old
03-23-2013, 02:03 AM
Money Baer
4 8 15 16 23 42

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
Flames are likely to keep Iginla and re-sign him if all NHL GMs are willing to offer is lowball deals.

Something like a 1st in 2013 or 2014, a replacement player for Iginla and a mid level prospect would likely be the price.
I love how you're making it sound like the Flames will get **** in return, but covering your back incase they get a decent one....

If they get a good prospect, you'll say: "Yeah, I said a mid level prospect!"

If they get a solid young bottom 9 forward: "I told you they'd land a replacement."

Everyone knows we could have had a better return a year or two ago, but we didn't. Most Flames fans would be happy with a 2013 1st, Younish 3rd line forward, good prospect.

Old
03-23-2013, 02:10 AM
Some Other Flame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post

Hard to re-sign a player that doesn't want to stick around.

Old
03-23-2013, 02:24 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastonBlues22 View Post
Tkachuk was traded a couple of times.

The first time was for Handzus, Nagy, Taffe, and a 1st. The second time was for Metropolit, 1st, 2nd, 3rd as an 18 game rental. Metropolit was a serviceable NHL player, if completely unremarkable...far from a minor leaguer anyway. He had 157 NHL games played at the time of the trade.

Not a great example of the point you're trying to make, IMO.
It was in reference to Tkachuk's second move, when he was older and towards the end of his career, much like Iginla now. Metropolit was a journeyman who was very well traveled. Perhaps minor leaguer was too harsh as he was an NHLer at that time, but he was just a depth player averaging 11-12 mins of ice time. That wasn't a significant player that the Blues received and the main meat of that trade were the picks, with the 1st round pick being the 24th overall pick.

It reinforces what I stated earlier though that the players/prospects that would be in play for Iginla would not be the type that some fans are expecting. The Flames won't be getting star players or high caliber prospects for a rental. Some of the examples cited in that article that the Flames fan posted have absolutely zero bearing on an Iginla trade. Especially those Jeff Carter trades. Such a terrible example. How can you compare the two? One is a rental and the other is in his prime signed to a cap friendly contract.

Old
03-23-2013, 02:30 AM
EastonBlues22
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
It was in reference to Tkachuk's second move, when he was older and towards the end of his career, much like Iginla now. Metropolit was a journeyman who was very well traveled. Perhaps minor leaguer was too harsh as he was an NHLer at that time, but he was just a depth player averaging 11-12 mins of ice time. That wasn't a significant player that the Blues received and the main meat of that trade were the picks, with the 1st round pick being the 24th overall pick.

It reinforces what I stated earlier though that the players/prospects that would be in play for Iginla would not be the type that some fans are expecting. The Flames won't be getting star players or high caliber prospects for a rental. Some of the examples cited in that article that the Flames fan posted have absolutely zero bearing on an Iginla trade. Especially those Jeff Carter trades. Such a terrible example. How can you compare the two? One is a rental and the other is in his prime signed to a cap friendly contract.
I tend to agree that it with that. I think there will be 1st pick+(+?) value going back the other way if he's moved, but little chance of an established top 6 forward/top 4defenseman/top prospect.

Not that I think it's likely he'll be moved. We've danced this dance before.

Old
03-23-2013, 02:53 AM
Black1963
Weal Deal, No Doubt!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Some Other Flame View Post
Assuming the Flames were actually cup contenders, had a shot to go deep into the playoffs and not only had a hole on the LW, but believed a player like Brown would put them over the top? The required price, of course. And if that necessitated a first round, then so be it.

Winning the cup is what the game is all about, not a picking a prospect that may or may not pan out. Do Kings fans regret trading a first for Carter last season? What if Carter had been a UFA and walked last summer, would they regret that trade still? The correct answer is no, of course not, since it got them the cup.
While I agree with you that it's all about winning the cup, it's also a very tough pill to swallow if we were to get bounced in the first round or maybe not even make it to the playoffs and have to relinquish our first AND unable to re-sign Iggy, OUCH!!!

That is why I would prefer to make it a conditional pick, but your first round offer isn't that far off imo. However, you do realize that most of your fanbase seem to expect a first + + which is waaaay out of line.

Old
03-23-2013, 03:25 AM
Flat Stanley

Quote:
Originally Posted by superhakan View Post
for those who think it will only take a 2nd and garbage to get jarome:

http://thehockeywriters.com/jarome-i...-for-a-legend/
Quote:
Rob Rossi @RobRossi_Trib
#TribHKY >> Iggy price: top 4 D prospect, roster player, and draft pick. For now, anyway. He has no movement clause. #pens #flames
Top 4 D prospect = Olli Maatta
Roster Player = Tyler Kennedy
Draft Pick = Draft Pick

Old
03-23-2013, 03:53 AM
Double Dion
Jets fan 30/06/2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black1963 View Post
lol.

We'll give you Roach + a conditional 2nd. This is as good as it's gonna get for a rental.
I really like Roach actually. But there would need to be another asset in there. Either a 1st, Toffoli or Dwight King. Keep your 2nd though.

Closed Thread