HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

We Need a Goalie

Old
03-22-2013, 04:00 PM
shoop

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by shogun99 View Post
For old time Oiler fans, Fuhr let in bad goals all the time. He just rarely let in a ba goal when we were up by one or the score was tied. He'd be focused during those times. Dubnyk's problem is he chokes in those situations but plays great when it doesn't matter. I'd much rather have a goalie with a .900 SP that wins us games then a goalie with a .925 SP that you can't rely on in tough situations.
^^^^This!^^^^

Save percentage is what all the Dubnyk defenders point to in making their case.

Fuhr is easily one of the best goalies of all time when the money was on the line.

Dubnyk has proven repeatedly that when the games count his head just isn't there. His streaks of brilliance come when there is no pressure. That is why a solid backup who can push him is needed. Either he thrives under pressure and he is the goalie of the future or he is not.

While I'd like to see him prove his worth when games mean something, I just don't see it happening.

shoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 04:03 PM
Billybaroo*

I think some of the posters here should watch some other teams every now & then. Every goalie I watch, in virtually every game, lets in goals that the posters here would rag on Dubnyk about.

Billybaroo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 04:05 PM
actionjackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoop View Post
^^^^This!^^^^

Save percentage is what all the Dubnyk defenders point to in making their case.

Fuhr is easily one of the best goalies of all time when the money was on the line.

Dubnyk has proven repeatedly that when the games count his head just isn't there. His streaks of brilliance come when there is no pressure. That is why a solid backup who can push him is needed. Either he thrives under pressure and he is the goalie of the future or he is not.

While I'd like to see him prove his worth when games mean something, I just don't see it happening.

You must have missed it on the previous page...

Miracle on Manchester...

Fuhr "orchestrated" one of the most monumental letdowns in my entire memory of Oilers hockey...I still remember the female fan giving the CBC camera the finger at the end of period 2 when the Oil were up 5-0...and most of my family begging for Andy Moog on regular occasion!!!

actionjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 04:09 PM
Slatsmsg

vCash: 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billybaroo View Post
I think some of the posters here should watch some other teams every now & then. Every goalie I watch, in virtually every game, lets in goals that the posters here would rag on Dubnyk about.
I mention Khudobin and Howard off the list BUT I am far from dis-satisfied with Dubnyk. If anything the last 2 losses are more a result of the team not matching the intensity level of Detroit and San Jose than Dubnyk letting in soft goals. Can't blame him for the Petry own goal, or the Datsyuk goal and even Coutures one timer into a crowd (the team was being outplayed).

Shootouts are a toss up.

Slatsmsg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 04:11 PM
actionjackson

I suggest that you look at these if you think Dubnyk lets in all the softies!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8dZUyOA1RE

and please everyone dont get offended...This is all in fun!

Last edited by actionjackson: 03-22-2013 at 04:13 PM. Reason: broken link
Old
03-22-2013, 04:15 PM
shoop

Quote:
Originally Posted by actionjackson View Post

Miracle on Manchester...

Fuhr "orchestrated" one of the most monumental letdowns in my entire memory of Oilers hockey...I still remember the female fan giving the CBC camera the finger at the end of period 2 when the Oil were up 5-0...and most of my family begging for Andy Moog on regular occasion!!!
Fuhr was 19 years old in that game!!!

Yes it was a stinker, but that game was not all on Fuhr by any means.

Old
03-22-2013, 05:17 PM
Powder
Droppin The KlefBom!

Quote:
Exactly!

The Oilers goaltending really isn't much worse than anyone else's out there, other than the very few goaltenders that are playing lights out right now.

Almost every game has goals going in that shouldn't be.

The Oilers almost need a Dominic Hassek type of goalie to stand on his head and make acrobatic saves when they give up the odd-man rushes and miss their defensive assignments. But he's just not out there.

People keep suggesting Miller but he is NOT the solution. There is a reason he's available.

Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 05:23 PM
ChadSC
SportingCharts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shogun99 View Post
For old time Oiler fans, Fuhr let in bad goals all the time. He just rarely let in a ba goal when we were up by one or the score was tied. He'd be focused during those times. Dubnyk's problem is he chokes in those situations but plays great when it doesn't matter. I'd much rather have a goalie with a .900 SP that wins us games then a goalie with a .925 SP that you can't rely on in tough situations.
This isn't the 1980's, goalies with a 0.900 don't win in this league. When Fuhr was in this league teams scored more than 3.5 goals per game - now 2.5-2.7.

The fun thing with save percentage and GAA is that they are numbers and are unbiased. And while not the full picture, they give insight. "Focus", "Chokes", "Tough Situations" - very hard define and measure but convient for your argument.

I'll take Dubnyk and worry about the real problem surrounding the Oilers.

ChadSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 05:25 PM
actionjackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadsc View Post
this isn't the 1980's, goalies with a 0.900 don't win in this league. When fuhr was in this league teams scored more than 3.5 goals per game - now 2.5-2.7.

The fun thing with save percentage and gaa is that they are numbers and are unbiased. And while not the full picture, they give insight. "focus", "chokes", "tough situations" - very hard define and measure but convient for your argument.

i'll take dubnyk and worry about the real problem surrounding the oilers.
yup!!!

Old
03-22-2013, 05:29 PM
actionjackson

Quote:
Fuhr was 19 years old in that game!!!

Yes it was a stinker, but that game was not all on Fuhr by any means.
If only they had a goalie who could steal them a few games or not let in deflating goals...that dynasty would have been WAY better

Old
03-22-2013, 06:26 PM
shoop

Quote:
If only they had a goalie who could steal them a few games or not let in deflating goals...that dynasty would have been WAY better
Are you really trying to compare Dubnyk to Grant Fuhr? That Miracle on Manchester game was brutal by so many Oilers. Gretzky had a brutal giveaway on the game tying goal in the last game. Oh wait, does that mean Horcoff is comparable to Gretzky now?

Grant Fuhr had a bad game as a 19 year old. Then went on to win a Vezina, four Stanley Cups as the #1 and make the HHOF.

Dubnyk is 26 and still making the same mental errors he made as a teenager. Repeatedly.

Old
03-22-2013, 10:06 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:

Miracle on Manchester...

This post makes no sense whatsoever. You've just called out an HOF goalie with several Stanley Cup wins on the basis of one series in which he was still raw and inexperienced.

Hopefully you didn't prefer Andy Moog over Fuhr.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 10:12 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insta View Post
The whole Fuhr thing is great with lots of fuzzy feelings but the fact is the Oilers were a team that could score over 400 goals in a season. There is literally no comparison to be made here. Fuhr let in lots of goals but the Oilers were always good enough to score even more. No a .900 goalie is not going to be better than a .925 goalie. At .900 you are talking about Steve Mason and Bryzgalov level bad.
Are you seriously trying to argue Devan Dubnyk is a better goalie than Grant Fuhr in the respective times that they played?

Are you basing this solely on save percentage? lol

Comparing todays play with yesteryears when system play was rarely applied.

jebus, hand in your Oiler fan card and get to the back of the line. You make it sound like Fuhr was some limpbiscuit the Oilers had to overcome every night.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 10:16 PM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

vCash: 50
Dubnyk's the third best starting goalie in the division. Maybe even second.

At least we don't have Kipper and the Flames D right now. Yikes.

GreatKeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 10:18 PM
Lay Z Boy GM

Quote:
I agree. You'll see elite goalies letting in the same type of weak goals. Jeez, that's how goals happen, the goalie usually messes up on his angles or reads the play wrong. Everyone does this, that's why goals are scored.

Lay Z Boy GM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 11:15 PM
oilinblood

I will sum up Devan Dubnyks ability in one simple statement.

An Oiler fan watches a game... opponent scores... because we are so used to Dubby letting in soft goals or being completely stoned and beached-whale-like, we instantly want to yell out "no-chance" once we assess the goal. I dont remember any other goalie in the history of the oilers where fans felt squeemish on every shot and every goal had to find evidence that it wasnt the goalies fault. "He had no chance on that one" and then the fan nods to himself and everyone else...thus giving credibility to the goal and saying "that wasnt the bad one that Dubie will let in" as said fan returns to biting his nails and getting drunk in fear of the centre dump in and easy pad shot.

If the Oiler players have witnessed this s*** they either are losers or hate that he is back there. They will never win with him. The guy is ancient too... not a prospect anymore. Yay class of 2004 pfffffft.

oilinblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 01:17 AM
Insta
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Are you seriously trying to argue Devan Dubnyk is a better goalie than Grant Fuhr in the respective times that they played?

jebus, hand in your Oiler fan card and get to the back of the line. You make it sound like Fuhr was some limpbiscuit the Oilers had to overcome every night.
I didn't say Dubnyk is better I said you can't compare the two and it makes no sense to. They played in completely different eras for completely different teams.

Insta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 01:18 AM
raab
Where's the Hart?

vCash: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
Dubnyk's the third best starting goalie in the division. Maybe even second.

At least we don't have Kipper and the Flames D right now. Yikes.
Not sure if serious... there is no goalie in our division I wouldn't trade Dubnyk for. Its ridiculous that fans continue to support this guy. Poor angles, low athleticism, poor blocker side, and the worst thing no drive to fight and make a second save in a scramble.

raab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 01:24 AM
Insta
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilinblood View Post
I will sum up Devan Dubnyks ability in one simple statement.

An Oiler fan watches a game... opponent scores... because we are so used to Dubby letting in soft goals or being completely stoned and beached-whale-like, we instantly want to yell out "no-chance" once we assess the goal. I dont remember any other goalie in the history of the oilers where fans felt squeemish on every shot and every goal had to find evidence that it wasnt the goalies fault. "He had no chance on that one" and then the fan nods to himself and everyone else...thus giving credibility to the goal and saying "that wasnt the bad one that Dubie will let in" as said fan returns to biting his nails and getting drunk in fear of the centre dump in and easy pad shot.

If the Oiler players have witnessed this s*** they either are losers or hate that he is back there. They will never win with him. The guy is ancient too... not a prospect anymore. Yay class of 2004 pfffffft.
Interesting. Did you know that if the season ended today, Dubnyk would set a new Oilers franchise record for sv%?

Old
03-23-2013, 01:42 AM
raab
Where's the Hart?

vCash: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insta View Post
Interesting. Did you know that if the season ended today, Dubnyk would set a new Oilers franchise record for sv%?
No he wouldnt, Markkanen had a .934 sv% in 03/04. When Dubnyk keeps up these numbers after playing 70 games in a season I'll be impressed. To bad it's never going to happen.

raab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 01:50 AM
Insta
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
No he wouldnt, Markkanen had a .934 sv% in 03/04. When Dubnyk keeps up these numbers after playing 70 games in a season I'll be impressed. To bad it's never going to happen.
Im talking about starting goalies not a backup who plays a handful of games. Dubnyk has played with numbers this good through the last half of last season and now this season. You also say you would be impressed if he kept these numbers up yet most people in this thread, even with the numbers he has, are throwing him under the bus.

Old
03-23-2013, 02:33 AM
Shanahanigans

I really have no confidence for Dubnyk to make a save for us when needed. OT, shootout, 3rd period. You can say he had no chance all you want, but your #1 goalie has to make the save when you need it.

Shanahanigans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 05:26 AM
actionjackson

Quote:
Are you really trying to compare Dubnyk to Grant Fuhr? That Miracle on Manchester game was brutal by so many Oilers. Gretzky had a brutal giveaway on the game tying goal in the last game. Oh wait, does that mean Horcoff is comparable to Gretzky now?

Grant Fuhr had a bad game as a 19 year old. Then went on to win a Vezina, four Stanley Cups as the #1 and make the HHOF.

Dubnyk is 26 and still making the same mental errors he made as a teenager. Repeatedly.
No...I was poking fun...it wouldnt be in my best interests to compare the team of today to one of the best to ever play hockey!!!

Old
03-23-2013, 05:34 AM
actionjackson

Quote:
This post makes no sense whatsoever. You've just called out an HOF goalie with several Stanley Cup wins on the basis of one series in which he was still raw and inexperienced.

Hopefully you didn't prefer Andy Moog over Fuhr.
Do you really think that Fuhr was anything more than the product of the most dynamic offensive team to ever suit up? (and no I didn't prefer Moog...but what do you think his lifetime stats would look like if you threw him in for a decade instead of Fuhr...probably HOF based on rings and wins)

Old
03-23-2013, 05:57 AM
actionjackson

Quote:

Nah...I will be staying an Oiler fan...you clearly have your opinion and I have mine. Comparing players from era to era is impossible. If you read my few previous posts, I was poking fun by pointing out something about Fuhr that I found comical when someone else brought up Fuhr as the guy who would shut the door when necessary...

Do I think Dubnyk is better than Fuhr? Who cares...I came here to shoot the breeze with some other Oilers fans about our current situation...not to get run out of town because I dont think Dubnyk is a complete waste of skin.

I am sorry that me and my tiny brain have challenged your authority on this matter and I will be sure to send a letter of apology to both you and Mr. Fuhr himself...