HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rumours and Speculation Thread

Closed Thread

Old
03-22-2013, 10:33 PM
Jack de la Hoya

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
I'm not paying read +2nd rounder for gormley. We over rate prospects on these boards so much

Also we could add more to that package. It didn't have to stop there. But I will admit we don't have much to entice them after that. Mez contract hurts us the most with budget teams because next year he is owed 5.5 million. If his salary was his cap hit I think he would be a much easier sale to a budget team.

Yandle would look good with his offense here though. I do agree his defensive lapses would be called out big time, but we most likely are looking at a yandle or jaybo type player this off season. Unless of course homer pulls a homer and surprises the hell out of us
I think Yandle would fit well here, but I really can't see him being acquired with Read as the centerpiece. Read would have value to PHX for the reasons you suggest, but he's only signed through next year, and I dunno how confident the coyotes would be about their ability to retain him.

Best case is something like Read + Laughton +, but even that's a stretch.

Yandle costs Couturier +, IMO.

Old
03-22-2013, 10:41 PM
JustJim

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyershockey View Post
If they trade for another center without addressing the need on defense, I will have officially lost all hope in Paul Holmgren.
I already have lost hope in Holmgren. He just doesn't get how this game is played today. And he doesn't have a clue how to draft/trade for defensemen.
Not to leave out the stupid contract he got locked into with Bryzgalov.
Holmer's time is finished IMO!

Old
03-22-2013, 10:48 PM
BrindamoursNose

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJim View Post
I already have lost hope in Holmgren. He just doesn't get how this game is played today. And he doesn't have a clue how to draft/trade for defensemen.
He drafted Sbisa
Traded for Timonen, Coburn, Carle, Pronger, Schenn, Grossmann

I understand his drafting could use help, but he knows how to trade for D-Men for sure.

Old
03-22-2013, 10:50 PM
flyershockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrindamoursNose View Post
He drafted Sbisa
Traded for Timonen, Coburn, Carle, Pronger, Schenn, Grossmann

I understand his drafting could use help, but he knows how to trade for D-Men for sure.
Also add Mez, who would be much better if he hadn't broken down due to injuries. They just need to get better at drafting and more importantly, developing defensemen.

Old
03-22-2013, 10:54 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Yandle is years ahead of Carle offensively. Carle couldn't come close to his production offensively. Yes he would be a new whipping boy on defense but his shot and mobility on defense would be much welcomed on our blue line. I think he would some what get a pass because of his offensive ability. Guy out up 60 points as a defender in a almost strictly defensive system. If the price isn't so steep I would want him over Johnson
Yandle for Coburn and a draft pick. Coburn gets out of Philadelphia and gets a chance to straighten his game out under Tippett. The Flyers get that much needed puck moving offensive defenseman in Yandle. From there, deal Matt Read to Carolina for Jamie McBain and a draft pick. The Flyers retool the defense in these two moves and they don't lose any of their young promising forwards in Schenn, Couturier and Laughton.

Old
03-22-2013, 10:56 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
Yandle for Coburn and a draft pick. Coburn gets out of Philadelphia and gets a chance to straighten his game out under Tippett. The Flyers get that much needed puck moving offensive defenseman in Yandle. From there, deal Matt Read to Carolina for Jamie McBain and a draft pick. The Flyers retool the defense in these two moves and they don't lose any of their young promising forwards in Schenn, Couturier and Laughton.
If Phoenix moves Yandle, it would be to upgrade their offense and open a spot for tone of their young defenseman, right?

Old
03-22-2013, 10:59 PM
flyershockey

Quote:
Phoenix isn't moving Yandle for another defenseman. They would want one of Couturier/Schenn. It's too much of a lateral trade for them. It would be like the Flyers trading Couturier for Hanzal, which doesn't make sense for the Flyers.

Old
03-22-2013, 11:00 PM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

Bob with another strong game...

Old
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack de la Hoya View Post
If Phoenix moves Yandle, it would be to upgrade their offense and open a spot for tone of their young defenseman, right?
You'd think that, but Maloney seems to be a GM that will move a defenseman for a defenseman and not think twice about it, especially if it can help save the club money in the long run. I honestly think that Maloney would be enticed by a guy like Coburn and would have no qualms about giving Yandle to land that much needed stopper that they really don't have in Phoenix. That would free up the defensive burden on OEL and really free him up to do great things. I honestly think Coburn for Yandle is a distinct possibility. The question is, would Holmgren be willing to move Coburn? I just get the impression that he wants to move him, but then worries about what if Coburn puts it all together. Maybe it's just me, but he needs to let Coburn go and if Yandle can be had, then you do it.

Old
FLYERSFAN18

Quote:
I would think it would have to be a first for Phoenix to consider it

Old
03-22-2013, 11:15 PM

Max Talbot is NOT the problem with this hockey club.

He chips in with goals (after a dodgy start), is sublime on the PK and provides hustle and effort for a great cap hit. I cannot believe they're supposedly looking to move him.

Old
03-22-2013, 11:57 PM
thefatjesus*

what would you badass philly fans like from ottawa in return for simmonds

Old
03-23-2013, 12:35 AM
WeekendAtBernies

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefatjesus View Post
Start w/ Lehner + 1st then keep adding.

Old
03-23-2013, 01:05 AM
Go For It

Quote:
More than you're willing to pay most likely.

Old
03-23-2013, 01:37 AM
DickTony

Quote:
Karlsson

Old
03-23-2013, 02:33 AM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1865 View Post

He chips in with goals (after a dodgy start), is sublime on the PK and provides hustle and effort for a great cap hit. I cannot believe they're supposedly looking to move him.
i like Talbot. I really do. Hes one of those guys who has brought it pretty much every night. A rare feat for this club. But if someone gives Holmgren an offer he cant refuse. Like a 2nd round pick I think you have to consiter it.
The first domino is likely Iginla. Once he is moved then the "losers" in the Iginla sweeps may call Holmgren about Briere. I just don't think you will get the type of return that some think. I will be stunned if someone offers a first round pick.

Old
03-23-2013, 04:09 AM
dats81

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJim View Post
Homer tried to get Suter, after that failed he persuaded Weber to sign the OS that got matched, then reportedly went after Subban and inquired about Big Buf. All desperate moves but he tried everything possible and impossible to acquire a young #1 defenseman without selling the farm.

Could he have drafted a D instead of Laughton? Sure but this pick would have been far away from becoming a sure fire NHL calibre first pairing D.

It's easy to blame Paul Holmgren but what would you have come up with? Where are the alternatives?

Old
03-23-2013, 06:47 AM
Psuhockey

Quote:
Maloney wanted a Weber like package for Yandle at the draft last year, ie B.Schenn + Couturier +. That prosposal is a steep decline from that demand in only a years time.

The Flyers should have no dealings with Phoenix. As I stated before, Maloney has an unfair negotiating advantage because he is the only GM in the league who has zero pressure to win. All that he has to do is keep a budget. He can wait out any GM in the league thus you gets deals like the Kyle Turris one where he got a top prospect and a 2nd for what was a 1st bust at the point and had one productive half season if that. Stay away Holmgren.

Old
03-23-2013, 09:17 AM
fauxflex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psuhockey View Post
Maloney wanted a Weber like package for Yandle at the draft last year, ie B.Schenn + Couturier +. That prosposal is a steep decline from that demand in only a years time.

The Flyers should have no dealings with Phoenix. As I stated before, Maloney has an unfair negotiating advantage because he is the only GM in the league who has zero pressure to win. All that he has to do is keep a budget. He can wait out any GM in the league thus you gets deals like the Kyle Turris one where he got a top prospect and a 2nd for what was a 1st bust at the point and had one productive half season if that. Stay away Holmgren.
Homer didn't take the bait last time, so I don't see a problem in dealing with Maloney.

Old
03-23-2013, 09:21 AM
Prongo
Beer

Columbus might be an appealing team to deal with now. They have 3 first rounders and have the possibility to make the playoffs for the first time in a while. They might be willing to ship one of those out for some improvements on defense...

Just speculating

Old
03-23-2013, 09:29 AM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1865 View Post

Maybe because other teams see value in Talbot and the Flyers could potentially address needs beyond what Talbot provides? Players don't just get traded because they are problems.

It's this line of thinking -- not necessarily yours, 1865; I'm expanding to make a more general point -- that makes the Trades and Rumours thread such a bad read. Far too many threads are "our trash for your quality player". Unless you're dealing with dumb GMs (and we know who they are!), you need to give to get.

Old
03-23-2013, 09:40 AM
duffy9748

I'd rather hold onto Talbot but if you can get a 2nd+prospect you have to do it. He has a history of being a great locker room guy but it's not like the team will crumble and hate each other if they trade him. I disagree with those who don't think Briere nets a first. There are few sellers and a lot of buyers in todays market. Briere's playoff pedigree will be very attractive to teams trying to win now.

Old
03-23-2013, 09:43 AM
BrindamoursNose

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
i like Talbot. I really do. Hes one of those guys who has brought it pretty much every night. A rare feat for this club. But if someone gives Holmgren an offer he cant refuse. Like a 2nd round pick I think you have to consiter it.
The first domino is likely Iginla. Once he is moved then the "losers" in the Iginla sweeps may call Holmgren about Briere. I just don't think you will get the type of return that some think. I will be stunned if someone offers a first round pick.
I'm very certain Briere would receive a first round pick in a trade proposal.

Old
03-23-2013, 09:54 AM
TheKingPin

Quote:
Columbus might be an appealing team to deal with now. They have 3 first rounders and have the possibility to make the playoffs for the first time in a while. They might be willing to ship one of those out for some improvements on defense...

Just speculating
I could see this especially for briere low salary.

Old
03-23-2013, 10:05 AM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKingPin View Post
I could see this especially for briere low salary.
Doubt Briere waives for CBJ.

Mezsaros might be a possibility though.

Closed Thread