HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 Leafs Trades/Proposals/Signings XI - Winter... I mean...Deadline approaching

Closed Thread

Old
03-22-2013, 05:26 PM
Salgari

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Salgari
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rare Jewel View Post
He turned us down, Plus he's on a team that's only a few points back.

For me though, That ship has sailed. I'd rather allocate that money towards Kadri and keeping Bozak.
He wasted everyone's time. He was always going to sign with the rangers, so why even entertain other offers?

Old
03-22-2013, 05:30 PM
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

No (sane) GM in any sport is going to ship out important assets for futures while his team is on the verge of its first playoff spot in almost a decade.

Old
03-22-2013, 05:33 PM
rumman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffman955 View Post
Problem is that if we trade Cmac/Bozak for 2nd picks and finish 9th, it would not help us long term or short term

If we make playoffs, the core players get to see what the NHL PO's are all about and gain valuable experience.
That's the rub isn't it, will the assets offered outweigh the loss of players who could help make a playoff push? Nonis will do the right thing, I'm sure of it, what that is remains to be seen. We don't know what's being offered for who, only Nonis and company know, and maybe Chuck too??????????

Old
03-22-2013, 05:35 PM
Revolt

Quote:
Originally Posted by blasted_Sabre View Post
We're not selling relevant assets for picks while we're in a playoff position. Its just not going to happen, so dont get your hopes up. That includes Mac and Bozak.
Not sure why people don't understand such a simple concept.
We're in a playoff spot, but okay lets trade for draft picks...like really? Mind boggling.

Old
03-22-2013, 05:38 PM
Budsfan

Quote:
No (sane) GM in any sport is going to ship out important assets for futures while his team is on the verge of its first playoff spot in almost a decade.
This is the point, if he makes a trade, he may deal Kostka, someone on the Marlies, or draft picks.

Kostka seems to be the player on the outside and would likeley be part of a deal because we need a spot on the 23 man roster, or if not dealt then demoted, if we obtained another player.

Old
03-22-2013, 05:42 PM
stakesishigh
how swede it is

Quote:
You truly believe that if Nonis is in a situation where he's confident that he won't be able to re-sign Bozak with the term/hit he's asking for that he wouldn't consider moving Bozak?

You'd rather lose Bozak for nothing and likely not escape the first round? And that's assuming we even make playoffs, which we're 3 points ahead of missing out on. If we experience another losing streak like the one we're basically in the midst of, we're almost assured to miss playoffs.

I see what you're saying but to make that claim with absolute certainty is a little far-fetched. There's a reason that there is trade speculation with regards to Bozak.

>> I guess if you're talking PURELY for picks than I agree

Old
03-22-2013, 05:48 PM
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

Quote:
Originally Posted by stakesishigh View Post
You truly believe that if Nonis is in a situation where he's confident that he won't be able to re-sign Bozak with the term/hit he's asking for that he wouldn't consider moving Bozak?

You'd rather lose Bozak for nothing and likely not escape the first round? And that's assuming we even make playoffs, which we're 3 points ahead of missing out on. If we experience another losing streak like the one we're basically in the midst of, we're almost assured to miss playoffs.

I see what you're saying but to make that claim with absolute certainty is a little far-fetched.

>> I guess if you're talking PURELY for picks than I agree, but you never answered that question in my previous post.
Futures. So picks/prospects. And yes I truely do believe it. Look no further then the decline in trade deadline transactions. Teams that are close are holding on to players for fear of dealing them and missing because of it.

We have no one ready to replace Mac and Bozak. Nonis isnt going to risk Colborne and Hamilton filling those roles. Could they? Maybe. But no one knows. And hes not going to try and find out at the deadline.

What might happen is he deals them, then flips those assets for another player. But you can guarantee hes not coming out of the trade deadline with a weaker lineup then when he went in.

As for trade speculation, its the media. Theres trade speculation for Daniel Alfredsson, despite his team being in 5th and playing remarkable well. Its absurd to think the Sens are going to move him.

Last edited by blasted_Sabre: 03-22-2013 at 05:54 PM.
Old
03-22-2013, 05:50 PM
Drew311
Play Me

Quote:
He turned us down, Plus he's on a team that's only a few points back.

For me though, That ship has sailed. I'd rather allocate that money towards Kadri and keeping Bozak.
Do you blame him? Burke offered his max five year deal, probably worth around 35 million. Sather offered a nine year deal worth 58.5 million.

Not exactly a tough decision.

Old
03-22-2013, 05:54 PM
stakesishigh
how swede it is

Quote:
What might happen is he deals them, then flips those assets for another player. But you can guarantee hes not coming out of the trade deadline with a weaker lineup then when he went in.
Fair enough, and this sort of situation I can definitely understand. To shutdown any chance of us trading Mac/Bozie I think would be unwise, but you've clarified your stance.

Would you be okay with not trading Bozak, us maybe making playoffs (it's actually far from a sure thing at this point) with the potential of him walking as a UFA next year? Nonis has to have some idea of what he's expecting to get paid.

I suppose I'm putting way too much stock in his contract demands as to whether or not he'll be moved, but I think it's an important concept regardless.

Quote:
As for trade speculation, its the media. Theres trade speculation for Daniel Alfredsson, despite his team being in 5th and playing remarkable well. Its absurd to think the Sens are going to move him.
I would argue that talk of trading Alfredsson has very much died down, and was mostly going on after the Sens lost Spezza, Karlsson, and Anderson. No one could've quite expected them to continue at this pace. Perhaps I've just missed it though.

And I know that the media is a large influence on trade speculation, but they don't just do it for fun, there is some measure of accuracy/probability that exists. I definitely don't read into it, I'm just saying a pending UFA who might have high contract demands that we can't shell out isn't necessarily going to get traded/not get traded. I think it's worth talking about at least.

Old
03-22-2013, 05:57 PM
Rare Jewel
Patience

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew311 View Post
Do you blame him? Burke offered his max five year deal, probably worth around 35 million. Sather offered a nine year deal worth 58.5 million.

Not exactly a tough decision.
Not really.

But I wasn't all that disappointed that we didn't get him. Especially after learning the Rangers gave him 9 years.

You can disliked Burke for a few things, But after Komisarek he didn't give out stupid long term deals that would hog tie the team going forward.

Old
03-22-2013, 06:33 PM
Drew311
Play Me

Quote:
Not really.

But I wasn't all that disappointed that we didn't get him. Especially after learning the Rangers gave him 9 years.

You can disliked Burke for a few things, But after Komisarek he didn't give out stupid long term deals that would hog tie the team going forward.
I was disappointed we didn't sign him, but at the time there was no sign of a number one centre in the organization. The majority of Leafs fans, and most likely managment, thought Kadri's ceiling was a one-way 2nd line centre in the NHL. Who knew he would take such a dramatic step this season. I still think Richards would be useful with the Leafs in a veteran top six centre role. If we did end up signing him at least management would have the amnesty option if he didn't work out, which is something NYR is probably considering.

Last edited by Drew311: 03-22-2013 at 06:58 PM.
Old
03-22-2013, 07:02 PM
Duffman955

Quote:
Futures. So picks/prospects. And yes I truely do believe it. Look no further then the decline in trade deadline transactions. Teams that are close are holding on to players for fear of dealing them and missing because of it.

We have no one ready to replace Mac and Bozak. Nonis isnt going to risk Colborne and Hamilton filling those roles. Could they? Maybe. But no one knows. And hes not going to try and find out at the deadline.

Definitely. He is not going to trade assets away that could help in a playoff run. Same reason why Nj didnt trade parise and why alfie wont be traded.

I don't think losing Bozak/Mac is going to be a big loss going forward anyway.

Old
03-22-2013, 08:08 PM
Hero
The Corporal Returns

vCash: 50
I think MacA and Bozie chase the $ this free agency, like most do [no discount to stay in Toronto], and we lose them both.

It's true that we can't just move them for picks. Not if we have a chance to get back into playoff hockey.

Old
03-22-2013, 08:18 PM
Hero
The Corporal Returns

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by VALDAL View Post
Brandon Pirri + Kyle Beach for Tyler Bozak? perfect trade for both sides
Not sure why people are so high on Pirri, he's projected to be pretty much another Tyler Bozak, but an inch shorter, I guess he could potentially be better offensively but could also be worse.

Beach will be a solid future 3rd liner though.

Old
03-22-2013, 08:46 PM
Drew311
Play Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by hero View Post
Not sure why people are so high on Pirri, he's projected to be pretty much another Tyler Bozak, but an inch shorter, I guess he could potentially be better offensively but could also be worse.

Beach will be a solid future 3rd liner though.
If Nonis can get Pirri and Beach for Bozak I say he jumps all over it. I would be fine with them going into the playoffs (hopefully) with Kadri, Grabovski and McClement as their centre depth. The Leafs aren't winning the Cup this year, so getting a couple of young pieces to go forward with for a guy we aren't re-signing makes sense to me.

Old
03-22-2013, 08:56 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

I m not that high on pirri although he's a very talented playmaker. I personally prefer Marcus Kruger, or a guy like Phillip Danault if possible although rather improbable. Beach I think could be a very good guy for us but Doubt it would work.

03-22-2013, 08:58 PM
egd27
#freethebigpicture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffman955 View Post
If we are trading CMac/Bozak, I would like to see a hockey trade in which we can get player that will help us now.
Ideally yes.
But the only teams that may be interested in ufa's are playoff teams, and what playoff team is going trade something that is gonna improve us now?

Can't see it happening I'm afraid

Old
03-22-2013, 08:58 PM
rdawg1234

Could go after Hiller in Anaheim for cheap, they seem to be good trading partners with us.

Hiller is a solid #1 G, at the very least could split time with reimer

Scrivens+Prospect or pick?

And we definitely should be tossing liles for a pick from a team that needs defense, hoping for 2013 2nd for him, we have enough replacements/depth to not worry about losing him.

Old
03-22-2013, 09:02 PM
stakesishigh
how swede it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew311 View Post
I would be fine with them going into the playoffs (hopefully) with Kadri, Grabovski and McClement as their centre depth. The Leafs aren't winning the Cup this year, so getting a couple of young pieces to go forward with for a guy we aren't re-signing makes sense to me.
This is pretty much my stance on the matter, which is why I've emphasized the status of contract negotiations. If it's around the deadline and Nonis is confident that he isn't going to be able to re-sign Bozak than I have no problem with trading him for picks/prospects, though it's obvious that we all would rather receive players that will help us now.

I don't think the loss of Bozak for nothing is worth the improved chance of making playoffs down the stretch. The teams who keep pending UFA players who are unlikely to re-sign are usually confident they can make a splash in the playoffs. If Nonis was fairly certain Bozak was going to walk, I would EXPECT him to be traded. Whether it's for futures or current NHLers remains to be seen, but I think trading Bozak is a real possibility.

I have no problem holding onto Bozak depending on the kind of money he's expecting. I'm as eager as everyone else for the Leafs to break the non-playoff streak but we're in no condition to lose assets for nothing. Other than contract negotiations, I suppose the next week and a half of hockey will shed some light based on the position we're in come deadline.

Old
03-22-2013, 09:11 PM
notdoneyet

Quote:
Originally Posted by stakesishigh View Post
This is pretty much my stance on the matter, which is why I've emphasized the status of contract negotiations. If it's around the deadline and Nonis is confident that he isn't going to be able to re-sign Bozak than I have no problem with trading him for picks/prospects, though it's obvious that we all would rather receive players that will help us now.

I don't think the loss of Bozak for nothing is worth the improved chance of making playoffs down the stretch. The teams who keep pending UFA players who are unlikely to re-sign are usually confident they can make a splash in the playoffs. If Nonis was fairly certain Bozak was going to walk, I would EXPECT him to be traded. Whether it's for futures or current NHLers remains to be seen, but I think trading Bozak is a real possibility.

I have no problem holding onto Bozak depending on the kind of money he's expecting. I'm as eager as everyone else for the Leafs to break the non-playoff streak but we're in no condition to lose assets for nothing. Other than contract negotiations, I suppose the next week and a half of hockey will shed some light based on the position we're in come deadline.
I agree IF we cant sign them for reasonable money then we have to get something for them.This team does not have enough depth to lose assets for nothing

Old
03-22-2013, 09:31 PM
charliolemieux
rsTmf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revolt View Post
Not sure why people don't understand such a simple concept.
We're in a playoff spot, but okay lets trade for draft picks...like really? Mind boggling.
So you wouldn't move Komi for picks?

OR how about Connolly?

Even Holzer might be worth a 5th.

What did we trade Steckel and Brown for???? Oh right, a 26yr old prospect and draft picks. Silly me.

We also have several role players on the Marlies right now.

BUt ya in our position Nonis is handcuffed by the idea of one round of playoff hockey.

Maybe two if miss Pit and Bos. Fingers crossed for 4th 5th or 6th.:

Old
03-22-2013, 09:56 PM
Pi

vCash: 100
Pretty sure Nonis has said that he doesn't mind having UFA's on his team.

Imagine you're a player on a team that is in the playoffs...and your GM starts selling pieces of that team for futures.

You're being paid millions to perform and put your team in the playoffs..how angry would you be they trade two players that are playing well for futures?

They're not trading Bozak or MacArthur.

Old
03-22-2013, 09:57 PM
Pi

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by charliolemieux View Post
So you wouldn't move Komi for picks?

OR how about Connolly?

Even Holzer might be worth a 5th.

What did we trade Steckel and Brown for???? Oh right, a 26yr old prospect and draft picks. Silly me.

We also have several role players on the Marlies right now.

BUt ya in our position Nonis is handcuffed by the idea of one round of playoff hockey.

Maybe two if miss Pit and Bos. Fingers crossed for 4th 5th or 6th.:
We are not in a playoff spot because of Brown, Steckel, Holzer and Komisarek...they are not important parts of the team and were traded or sent down.

If teams were that interested in them as they are in Bozak/MarArthur they would have already been traded.

Old
03-22-2013, 11:18 PM
jmart21
MISC!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post
Pretty sure Nonis has said that he doesn't mind having UFA's on his team.

Imagine you're a player on a team that is in the playoffs...and your GM starts selling pieces of that team for futures.

You're being paid millions to perform and put your team in the playoffs..how angry would you be they trade two players that are playing well for futures?

They're not trading Bozak or MacArthur.
Pretty much.

Creating the winning culture in the room is important. Adding picks here and there during a playoff run completely demolishes that.

Old
03-23-2013, 03:30 AM
rdawg1234

They'll trade the scraps though, I.E Liles, Connolly for picks and rightfully so.

I think MacA stays with us being in a playoff position, gonna need offensive depth for sure.

However we do need another top 4 d-man if we wanna make noise in the playoffs this year, or even just to make the playoffs haha. So I'd toss some picks the other way for that, just not sure who i'd go for.

However in the Off-season I would heavily go after Stastny, more and more looks like it could be the ideal trade for us, price shouldnt be high, but he definitely fills the top centre role.

BTW: Connolly is just rotting in the AHL, I mean he's no all-star but he's definitely a top-9 forward, deserves to be in the NHL just like Komi, at a lower cost.

Closed Thread