HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Indianapolis Racers

Old
03-23-2013, 01:10 AM
Roboturner913

vCash: 500
Indianapolis Racers

I moved to Indianapolis several years ago and I've recently begun to take an interest in the history of this team. Anybody have any stories/memorabilia/etc.?

I can only dream that there would ever be an NHL team here but it's cool that I can wear my Racers t-shirt out in public and get the occasional nod. And hopefully soon I will be getting one of these for swag purposes:

Roboturner913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 06:20 AM
SealsFan

I used to have a game-worn home white jersey in my collection. Memories, let's see... Market Square Arena. A gaggle of interesting goalies such as maskless Andy Brown, Ed Dyck and Jim Park. Whitey Stapleton of course. Dave Keon! There's a pic that belongs in the "Dude, What Are You Doing in That Uniform?" thread.

I guess you know about this website
http://www.wharacers.com/index.html and the book and DVD...

SealsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 10:57 AM
yave1964
22 and counting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboturner913 View Post

I can only dream that there would ever be an NHL team here but it's cool that I can wear my Racers t-shirt out in public and get the occasional nod. And hopefully soon I will be getting one of these for swag purposes:

Sadly I don't see a team coming to Indianapolis anytime soon. I am a HUGE World Hockey Association nut, I have ninety percent or better of all WHA cards ever printed, and am always on the lookout for more.
There is an antique mall just south of Indianapolis where in two visits I have found an 8x10 signed photo of Darryl Maggs and a yearbook with a smiling Bob Woytowich on the cover. I also have a 1977-78 Racers media guide and roughly 30 hockey cards.

yave1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 11:18 AM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SealsFan View Post
I used to have a game-worn home white jersey in my collection....
Interesting & amusing history there, Indy. Nelson Skalbania. "The General" as Stapleton was referred to by the media, fans & players. Really the glue that held it all together to a large extent. Kim Clackson the team heart throb turning teenage girls into puddles. The US HHOF has a display of WHA & Indianapolis memorabilia, fairly extensive, and theres a website put up by some older hardcore fans thats worth visiting.. so, why doesnt that surprise me, that you'd have an Indianapolis Racers jersey SF?

Killion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 12:52 PM
jumptheshark
McDavid Headquarters

vCash: 50
The Backgammon game that the owner played with Pocklinton does my head

Welcome to Edmonton Connor McDavid--the rest of you HA HA HA HA HA HA
jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 01:11 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
The Backgammon game that the owner played with Pocklinton does my head...
Ya, Skalbania & Pocklington. What a pair. Sells Gretzky, Eddie Mio & Peter Driscoll to Peter Puck for $700K including the assumption of #99's Personal Services Contract. Also demanded an indemnification payment to be forthcoming at a later date should the WHA be amalgamated by the NHL. Figured he was also entitled to residuals for giving Wayne to the World. Like he was responsible for it. All seeing Savant.

Old
04-03-2014, 09:49 AM
blues10

Here is a nice jersey! It looks really good.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Indianapolis...#ht_583wt_1242

Here is my collection of old Racers jerseys. A home and away vintage 70's durene. A modern K1 and a durene Gretzky that I believe was made for Upper Deck and never signed. I have been unableto locate any other jerseys like the #99 to this point in time that aren't part of the signed Upper Deck limited edition Gretzkyhome and away Racers jerseys. Perhaps someone knows something about this jersey.

and my most recent addition another vintage 70's durene.

blues10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2014, 10:20 AM
Killion
Global Moderator

^^^ Problemo blues.... Gretzky wore #20 for pre-season promo's with Indianapolis & the single digit #9 in regular season games.
When he went to Edmonton, Sather wanted him to wear #14 but Gretzky wanted #9 which was taken, opting for #99 instead.

Old
04-03-2014, 02:06 PM
Hobnobs
Pinko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
^^^ Problemo blues.... Gretzky wore #20 for pre-season promo's with Indianapolis & the single digit #9 in regular season games.
When he went to Edmonton, Sather wanted him to wear #14 but Gretzky wanted #9 which was taken, opting for #99 instead.
Which is weird. Gretzky used 99 from his time in junior if iirc.

Hobnobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2014, 02:20 PM
Hoser

Quote:
*tsk-tsk*

Gretzky began wearing 99 when he was 16, playing for the Soo Greyhounds. By the time he signed his first pro contract with the Racers the number 99 was already part of the Gretzky brand. He almost certainly wore #20 in promo shots because the #99 jersey wasn't ready.

He wore 99 in Indy, and was always going to wear 99 in Edmonton.

(Besides, why would Sather want Gretzky to wear Blair MacDonald's number?)

Last edited by Hoser: 04-03-2014 at 02:29 PM.
Hoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2014, 03:00 PM
blues10

Quote:
I know Racers players often wore different jersey #'s for promo photos and pre-season. For example #12 during photo shoots but #14 during regular season games.

Gretzky was sporting #99 for his 1st ever pro goal with the Racers. The signed Upper Deck limited edition jerseys, I beleive 250 of each have #99. the jersey that I came into posssesion appears to be one of these but un-signed.

Old
04-03-2014, 03:01 PM
blogofmike

blogofmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2014, 03:01 PM
blogofmike

Bah! Beat me to it.

blogofmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2014, 03:23 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoser View Post
He wore 99 in Indy, and was always going to wear 99 in Edmonton....
(Besides, why would Sather want Gretzky to wear Blair MacDonald's number?)
I see..... s'plain this please Hoser (scroll down to Gretzky Number Trivia): http://www.vintagehockeycardsreport....apolis-racers/

huh? Wat dat?

Old
04-03-2014, 03:44 PM
nutbar

Quote:
Originally Posted by SealsFan View Post
I used to have a game-worn home white jersey in my collection. Memories, let's see... Market Square Arena. A gaggle of interesting goalies such as maskless Andy Brown, Ed Dyck and Jim Park. Whitey Stapleton of course. Dave Keon! There's a pic that belongs in the "Dude, What Are You Doing in That Uniform?" thread.
Also, Messier.

nutbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2014, 03:52 PM
Hoser

Quote:
I see..... s'plain this please Hoser (scroll down to Gretzky Number Trivia): http://www.vintagehockeycardsreport....apolis-racers/

huh? Wat dat?

Maybe the guy transcribed the wrong number from the book.

Hoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2014, 03:59 PM
IMLACHnME

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboturner913 View Post
I moved to Indianapolis several years ago and I've recently begun to take an interest in the history of this team. Anybody have any stories/memorabilia/etc.?

Robo, I don't know if we'll ever see an NHL team in Indianapolis, but, if a latter day WHA were to emerge, I could see Indianapolis being home to a franchise.

Just between you and me, I sincerely believe that a new professional hockey league, placing itself somewhere between the NHL and AHL in terms of the "level" of the play, could be successful. If this new league were to start out with six teams, and stay at that size until fully established, with cities such as Indianapolis, Seattle, Portland, Salt Lake City, Kansas City and Milwaukee, I think it could survive.

Most important would be the entertainment value of the hockey presented. If, in this new league, 4-on-4 hockey was played, with wooden sticks, and the goaltender pads used when wooden sticks were used, and, just generally, an emphasis on scoring and not defending; I think it would be a more entertaining product than now provided by the NHL.

Last edited by IMLACHnME: 04-03-2014 at 04:18 PM. Reason: deleted picture of jersey
IMLACHnME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2014, 04:52 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoser View Post
Maybe the guy transcribed the wrong number from the book.
Does anyone here have Ed Willes book Rebel League; The Short & Unruly Life of the WHA?... should check this mystery out Hoser.

Old
04-05-2014, 09:37 AM
iamjs
Unregistered User

this is from a 10/10/78 program

http://www.classicauctions.net/Defau...d=38&lotid=273

or going back even further into the 1978-79 season, where Gretzky had not been assigned a number

iamjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2014, 12:37 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

^^^ Interesting, and thanks for digging that up & posting it. Beyond Gretzky & the # Mystery, chock full of other interesting inf as well... So it would appear that the site I linked along with possibly Ed Willes in his book Rebel League which the site I referenced cites as its source for the Gretzky # debate appear to have the wrong end of the stick somewhat.

Old
04-05-2014, 12:53 PM
IComeInPeace

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamjs View Post

this is from a 10/10/78 program

http://www.classicauctions.net/Defau...d=38&lotid=273

or going back even further into the 1978-79 season, where Gretzky had not been assigned a number

2 players above Gretzky is Juha Widing...

I had no idea he put up some pretty good numbers in the NHL. For some reason I always thought he struggled.
He died very young...I believe in his mid 30's.

IComeInPeace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2014, 01:26 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by IComeInPeace View Post
2 players above Gretzky is Juha Widing.... I had no idea he put up some pretty good numbers in the NHL. For some reason I always thought he struggled. He died very young...I believe in his mid 30's.
Ya, a bit off-topic but thats ok.... its interesting & his death a bit mysterious really. Some sites have him dying at the age of 38 in a Vancouver hospital: others in Kelowna (while working his farm in Winfield BC) at the age of 37 & 5 months. The cause listed being Heart Attack. Apparently he had health issues of some sort through his NHL & WHA career though just what they were, no ones disclosed. He was the first European raised player to play in the NHL, his family moving from Sweden to Brandon Manitoba in the mid-60's where Juha played for the Wheat Kings (and ya, he was really given the gears by Canadian players in Jr & through his Minor-Pro & Pro career like Salming & others). Though born in Finland, both of his parents were Swedish & they moved back to Sweden when he was quite young, grew up playing & learning the game there through amateur. Great player, and rather a premature departure to say the least.

Old
04-05-2014, 09:35 PM
blues10

Quote:
Ya, a bit off-topic but thats ok.... its interesting & his death a bit mysterious really. Some sites have him dying at the age of 38 in a Vancouver hospital: others in Kelowna (while working his farm in Winfield BC) at the age of 37 & 5 months. The cause listed being Heart Attack. Apparently he had health issues of some sort through his NHL & WHA career though just what they were, no ones disclosed. He was the first European raised player to play in the NHL, his family moving from Sweden to Brandon Manitoba in the mid-60's where Juha played for the Wheat Kings (and ya, he was really given the gears by Canadian players in Jr & through his Minor-Pro & Pro career like Salming & others). Though born in Finland, both of his parents were Swedish & they moved back to Sweden when he was quite young, grew up playing & learning the game there through amateur. Great player, and rather a premature departure to say the least.
Looks like he never played a regular season game with the Racers and played for the Oilers in 77-78. I had no idea he led the Kings in scoring for 2 seasons. 500++ NHL games and 350++ points is pretty decent.

I never knew Keon was a Racer for 12 games.

That Bulls lineup is impressive with Ramage, Harstburg, Vaive and Goulet.

Old
04-06-2014, 05:43 AM
Theokritos

Quote:
He was the first European raised player to play in the NHL, his family moving from Sweden to Brandon Manitoba in the mid-60's
That honour goes to Ulf Sterner actually, but of course Widing was the first European raised player who became a NHL regular. Interestingly, both players were brought over at the same time along with a bunch of other Swedes & the Rangers assigned Sterner to the Minor Leagues and Widing to the Wheat Kings.

Theokritos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2014, 06:58 PM
GummoMarx

Quote:

huh? Wat dat?
This article has a few glaring mistakes. That Gretzky card was verified as a faux 1978 counterfeit card manufactured in the 90's. I own the card and it is of a glossy stock that was unseen until the boom of 1990, anyone paying more than $1 for this phantom fake is getting ripped. Neat story though.

http://puckjunk.com/2007/10/05/the-fake-one/

The 1979-80 Gretzky OPC/Topps RC's are clearly photos from 1978-79 as evidenced by the Oilers orange text blue drop logo that was abandoned upon the NHL arrival in favour of the contemporary colour scheme. Quite a few of the 1979-80 cards featured WHA action shots for all four "expansion" clubs, one player even wearing a San Diego Mariners jersey with "Now with.." added to it. So that remains the closest Gretzky has as a WHA style card.

The Red Rooster cards were a different promotional set in the mid 1980's.

GummoMarx is offline   Reply With Quote