HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Adirondack Phantoms and more (Apr 4. Charges against Nick Cousins are dropped)

Closed Thread

Old
03-21-2013, 03:42 PM
jabba2
Just say no to Clowe

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DownieFaceSoftener View Post
I agree with cautious optimism, but let's get a little excited.
Wont know what they have with Cousins until he gets some extended AHL time. Same with Laughton too.

Old
03-21-2013, 05:13 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Kyle Flanagan was named All-ECAC Hockey first team and a Hobey Baker finalist. Shayne Gostisbehere was named to the second team.

Old
03-21-2013, 05:58 PM
LegionOfDoom91

The CHL playoffs start up tonight. Cousins and Sault Ste. Marie play against Owen Sound. London and Oshawa start tomorrow night against Saginaw and Niagara. Portland also plays Everett tomorrow night.

Old
03-21-2013, 08:22 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred;61882105[B
]Derek Mathers joining the Phantoms tomorrow.[/B]Also OHL season is done. Cousins finished 3rd in the OHL with 103 points in 64 games.

Stolaz finished the season 13-3-1 with a gaa of 2.29 and sv% .920
Like that young man and hope he contiues to improve.

Old
03-21-2013, 08:23 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
The CHL playoffs start up tonight. Cousins and Sault Ste. Marie play against Owen Sound. London and Oshawa start tomorrow night against Saginaw and Niagara. Portland also plays Everett tomorrow night.
Thanks

Old
03-21-2013, 09:43 PM
Tripod

No points for Cousins tonight.

I actually hope the Flyers add a player like Gordon from Pheonix to be the #4 C. Then let Laughton continue to grow his offensive game in the OHL next year as the #1 C. We are starting to re-build a little depth with some good players. Keep them down a little longer until they are 100% ready to make an impact...not just be ok.

Old
03-21-2013, 09:47 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripod View Post
No points for Cousins tonight.

I actually hope the Flyers add a player like Gordon from Pheonix to be the #4 C. Then let Laughton continue to grow his offensive game in the OHL next year as the #1 C. We are starting to re-build a little depth with some good players. Keep them down a little longer until they are 100% ready to make an impact...not just be ok.
It would be cool to see Laughton in the World Juniors next year. Even though they'll probably have him playing a 3rd line shut down role.

Old
03-22-2013, 07:37 PM
Tie Domi Esquire
;;

Laughton is flying tonight. Already has a goal from an almost impossible angle on a rush by himself. Picked the corner. Skating really well had a nice between the legs move later.

Old
03-22-2013, 08:54 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Laughton with 2 goals and 1 assist. Stolarz with a win and giving up 2 goals.

Old
03-22-2013, 10:42 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tie Domi Esquire View Post
Laughton is flying tonight. Already has a goal from an almost impossible angle on a rush by himself. Picked the corner. Skating really well had a nice between the legs move later.
Laughton's going to be one of those guys who will be a better pro player than he was a junior hockey player. I've said it before about Laughton - he's such a smart player that he just knows where to be on the ice at all times. Looking forward to when he arrives in Philadelphia.

Old
03-22-2013, 11:17 PM
SolidSnakeUS

If you go to the OHL site, it should show the highlights for tonight's games and the first goal by Laughton... holy **** he was ****ing FLYING.

Old
03-23-2013, 06:54 AM
Psuhockey

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/jrh...tml#more-20306

Here's a write up from Buzzing the Net:

Quote:
Oshawa 5 Niagara 2 (Generals lead 1-0) — How quickly could this be over if Scott Laughton repeats that performance? The centre who played five games for the Philadelphia Flyers in January seemed to be in a higher gear than almost everyone else. Friday, he scored twice, including a bar-down blast off the rush in the second period that stood up as the eventual winning goal. His most impressive play might have been a non-scoring one; after making a between-the-leg moves to create a shot on goal, Laughton ended being the first General back to break up an IceDogs rush.

Old
03-23-2013, 09:09 AM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psuhockey View Post
http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/jrh...tml#more-20306

Here's a write up from Buzzing the Net:
It does need noting that Laughton's second goal was an EN. The play showed more his defensive side, corralling the puck and being responsible by making sure he was over the red line before calmly tossing the puck down the ice into the net.

Old
03-23-2013, 09:45 AM
SeanCWombBroom
DownieFaceSoftener

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabba2 View Post
Wont know what they have with Cousins until he gets some extended AHL time. Same with Laughton too.
AHL is the majority home for lesser pedigree players.

Not sure either of them spend time in the AHL. Cousins has 103 points. Laughton looked fine up with the big club. They may want to keep them together, which could mean they both play as early as next year with the club, especially with 4 forward spots opening up. 3, really, I suspect they may try to resign Gagne. 2, if they bring up McGinn or Holmstrom. Or 3, again, if you consider one of the forward slots they seem to keep using as the shoot for bringing up an sending down tweeners as available (Scrabbles is currently in it).

They might get AHL time, but not certain of it. Or they could do what they did with G. Around 30 games in the AHL, then up. Would be odd to bring them up as a pair though, due to having to make space for both on the roster if you were to do a half AHL half NHL split for the year.

Last edited by SeanCWombBroom: 03-23-2013 at 10:07 AM.
Old
03-23-2013, 09:56 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
AHL is the majority home for lesser pedigree players.

Not sure either of them spend time in the AHL. Cousins has 103 points. Laughton looked fine up with the big club. They may want to keep them together, which could mean they both play as early as next year with the club, especially with 4 forward spots opening up. 3, really, I suspect they may try to resign Gagne. 2, if they bring up McGinn or Holmstrom.

They might get AHL time, but not certain of it. Or they could do what they did with G. Around 30 games in the AHL, then up. Would be odd to bring them up as a pair though, due to having to make space for both on the roster if you were to do a half AHL half NHL split for the year.
I dont think I agree with this. There are ALOT of teams out there that dont try to rush their young players up. An example is Detroit with Brendan Smith and Nyquvist. The AHL, if you have good coaching, can be a very good place to bring up young (20 or so) yr old prospects so they can get used to the pace and size of the game.

Next year with a team of Cousins, and additions like Alderson and Flanagan (with hopefully others), hoping that there is a chance that the AHL can turn it around. Not a big fan of Murray though, liked Patterson ALOT better. He prepared the kids alot better than Murray has. Now I like Cousins and Laughton, but I do think one has to be careful with HOW young the team is. You can't have a team with all 20-21-22 yr olds. Thats not a recipe to win. You need vets to teach the kids.

Old
03-23-2013, 10:01 AM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
It does need noting that Laughton's second goal was an EN. The play showed more his defensive side, corralling the puck and being responsible by making sure he was over the red line before calmly tossing the puck down the ice into the net.
I'm watching the replay on NHL network now. Really impressed with his skating, and he's showing a bit more offensive flair than I realized he had.

Old
03-23-2013, 10:13 AM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
I dont think I agree with this. There are ALOT of teams out there that dont try to rush their young players up. An example is Detroit with Brendan Smith and Nyquvist. The AHL, if you have good coaching, can be a very good place to bring up young (20 or so) yr old prospects so they can get used to the pace and size of the game.

Next year with a team of Cousins, and additions like Alderson and Flanagan (with hopefully others), hoping that there is a chance that the AHL can turn it around. Not a big fan of Murray though, liked Patterson ALOT better. He prepared the kids alot better than Murray has. Now I like Cousins and Laughton, but I do think one has to be careful with HOW young the team is. You can't have a team with all 20-21-22 yr olds. Thats not a recipe to win. You need vets to teach the kids.
I agree with this. The Phantoms need to be fixed as much as the Flyers, and building a healthy farm system is integral to longer-term health of the big club. You want to maximize the chance that players develop to their full potential, and it is a poor recipe to keep tossing good prospects right into the NHL on a sink-or-swim basis. Not to mention aligning their systems ... once they establish a winning system that works with their roster, that is.

Old
03-23-2013, 10:47 AM
SeanCWombBroom
DownieFaceSoftener

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
I dont think I agree with this. There are ALOT of teams out there that dont try to rush their young players up.
This might be true of the league (it isn't), but the Flyers do not operate this way. The response was regarding whether Cousins and Laughton will get time there. Since 2003, high end prospects for the Flyers have spent very little time in the AHL. They fast track guys to the NHL.

Quote:
Next year with a team of Cousins, and additions like Alderson and Flanagan (with hopefully others), hoping that there is a chance that the AHL can turn it around. Not a big fan of Murray though, liked Patterson ALOT better.
Doubt it. It's a bad team. Not sure how great it will be for confidence of young players if they're getting kicked around in the pros unless they dominate the league like Schenn and Coots did. The NHL level is easier in the sense that your teammates are better. Players like MAB, Manning, etc, have really show this to be true as of late. They come up, play well, get sent down and it is the opposite. Certainly, that's not true of all players, but it illustrates the point. Which is better for your confidence? Coming up to the NHL and having 9 great games that proves you have what it takes or fighting for last place in the AHL and trying to stay the hell away from getting demoted to Trenton?

Quote:
You can't have a team with all 20-21-22 yr olds. Thats not a recipe to win. You need vets to teach the kids.
I agree, but the best vets are in the NHL, and filling out the team with vets is not the most difficult task in the world. The Flyers have enough. If they let Fed go and Shelley and Cousins and Laughton take those spots, do they NOT have enough vet presence for them? Are they remiss for veteran mentors? Nah.

Old
03-23-2013, 11:02 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Quote:

I agree, but the best vets are in the NHL, and filling out the team with vets is not the most difficult task in the world. The Flyers have enough. If they let Fed go and Shelley and Cousins and Laughton take those spots, do they NOT have enough vet presence for them? Are they remiss for veteran mentors? Nah.
Sadly I see Holmgren(provided he is still the GM) will try and sign Colton Orr or someone like that this summer. Wouldnt be a Flyer team without one worthless idiot on the team.
Laughton showed he can play and not look out of place this year. Even with the small sample size. I still prefer they bring him along slowly. Same with Cousins. Provided he wins a job this fall at camp.

Old
03-23-2013, 11:11 AM
Jack de la Hoya

Gostisbehere with an assist and +3 in Union's 5-0 win over Yale last night in the ECAC semifinals.

Old
03-23-2013, 11:26 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack de la Hoya View Post
Gostisbehere with an assist and +3 in Union's 5-0 win over Yale last night in the ECAC semifinals.
They will play Brown (not Quinnipiac) for the ECAC championship.

Old
03-23-2013, 12:04 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
They will play Brown (not Quinnipiac) for the ECAC championship.
I'm confused. Did I say that they played Quinnipiac?

EDIT: Or are you just saying that that is a surprise?

Old
03-23-2013, 02:53 PM
moorg

Are there any streams for the chl playoffs? I kind of forget what its like to watch hockey without wanting to jump off a bridge after almost every game.

Old
03-23-2013, 03:12 PM
Ryker

Quote:
Originally Posted by moorg View Post
Are there any streams for the chl playoffs? I kind of forget what its like to watch hockey without wanting to jump off a bridge after almost every game.
I don't know about free streams, but hockeystreams offers a relatively cheap alternative. Plus, you get on-demand, as well.

Old
03-23-2013, 05:36 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

So flanagan will be centering the 2nd line tonight between noebels and sim. Looking forward to seeing how noebels and flanagan work. Noebels always does his best next to a playmaking center

Closed Thread