HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Rank these Detroit prospects?

Old
03-23-2013, 12:57 AM
Leadzedder

vCash: 500
Rank these Detroit prospects?

I'm a casual reader of the site. To me it seems that Detroit is stacked with great prospects. I'm curious how you would rank them. Where do you project them to be? Forwards and defense separately. Thanks

Forwards
Sheahan
Ferraro
Nyquist
Tatar
Pulkkinen
Jarnkrok
Frk
Jurco
Tvrdon
Andersson
Anthanasiou
Quine

Defense
Almquist
Sproul
Ouellet
Jensen
Lashoff
Marchenko
Backman
Deyekeser ( if signed)

Last edited by Leadzedder: 03-23-2013 at 01:03 AM. Reason: Replaced Smith with Almquist as Smith is full time and I would assume #1 for defense.
Leadzedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 01:11 AM
Leadzedder

And as a side thought, Grand Rapids will have Sproul, Frk and Pulkkinen next year. Hardest shots of 3 leagues on the same power play? Maybe an exaggeration but still, alot of power there.

Leadzedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 01:14 AM
Cyborg Yzerman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leadzedder View Post
I'm a casual reader of the site. To me it seems that Detroit is stacked with great prospects. I'm curious how you would rank them. Where do you project them to be? Forwards and defense separately. Thanks

Forwards
Sheahan
Ferraro
Nyquist
Tatar
Pulkkinen
Jarnkrok
Frk
Jurco
Tvrdon
Andersson
Anthanasiou
Quine

Defense
Almquist
Sproul
Ouellet
Jensen
Lashoff
Marchenko
Backman
Deyekeser ( if signed)
I'm no expert, but I can give you a jist of my perspective.
Forwards:
1. Jarnkrok
2. Nyquist
3. Tatar
4. Sheahan
5. Jurco
6. Frk
7. Pulkkinen
8. Anthanasiou
9. Tvrdon
10.Andersson
11. Quine ( I really like Quine and could see him being a Helm type for us, perhaps not as good.)

Also, we're really high on Sproul and Ouellet. Marchenko has a lot of promise too. Backman, Jensen, and Almquist are a bit of a long shot, but also could be boom defensemen. Jensen is very, very fast. Lashoff is going to be basically a 6/7 guy, imo, who maybe will top off as a number 5. He's locked up with the team for the next several years. Lots of Wings fans are high on Deyekeser and want to sign him. I can't personally evaluate him though.

Cyborg Yzerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 01:43 AM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leadzedder View Post

Forwards
Sheahan
Ferraro
Nyquist
Tatar
Pulkkinen
Jarnkrok
Frk
Jurco
Tvrdon
Andersson
Anthanasiou
Quine

Defense
Almquist
Sproul
Ouellet
Jensen
Lashoff
Marchenko
Backman
Deyekeser ( if signed)
I honestly think Andersson and Lashoff are the worst guys on that list in terms of potential, only maybe Quine (hard to project) and Almqvist can I argue are worse. But I am not big fans of either guy and never have been, plus I am sky high on Tvrdon should he ever stay healthy. Depends on if you're looking for a here and now, even then those two should be behind people not currently in the show. Total future projections have a way of getting out of hand, the guys already excelling at the pro level deserve a little boost. With that said Lashoff is not excelling at the pro level and really hasn't this is the first time he played solid in Grand Rapids for half a season and he is getting torched on the regular while trying to play above his head. Almqvist is doing some nice things but neither has run away with it and they are in trouble with what is coming in and hunting their jobs.

Forwards

1.) Jarnkrok (PP stud, Hakan talks Zetterberg, for me is kind of a poor mans Backstrom)
2.) Nyquist (was leading the AHL in scoring, very slippery, great hockey IQ, needs more strength and a little more power in his skating)
3.) Tatar (powerful guy, still only 22, needs to improve shot accuracy)
4.) Sheahan (incredibly mature on ice, good in all three zones, very good on special teams, never on the wrong side of the puck and a big body with good speed and a bunch of tools
5.) Andersson (right now, but his skating is still troubling at times, defensively responsible and maybe a good net front guy, if he wants to stay long-term he will have to be)
6.) Ferraro (fast release, aggressive all over the place, great on the pk, and versatile. Restoring a lot of his pre-draft status, kind of a lighter Cleary before Danny's body betrayed him)
7.) Jurco (probably outside of Jarnkrok the most potential on the team in terms of forwards. His skating is improving and his confidence is picking up, great hands as we all know, but a good work ethic according to Wings and Griffins brass, well above some of these others on the protected asset list.)
8.) Frk (takes stupid penalties, but my God what a shot. Doesn't play a soft game either, pretty strong on the puck and lots of to like, fell because of injuries in his draft year not really talent.)
9.) Tvrdon (At 6'2" and 220lbs a gifted skater for that size with great hands, led the WHL in rookie scoring, cannot stay healthy but a ton of talent, will be interesting to see him as a pro, hoping he isn't the second coming of Nestrasil, still high on him.)
10.) Athanasiou (Having a great year, great skater, great hands and hopefully will fill out to match that. A ton to like would like to see him do it in back to back years, but everything about him is encouraging thus far)
11.) Pulkkinen (Not one of my favorites, but was nice to see him finally pick up scoring again over the backhalf. Has worked hard on his defensive game, but that huge shot has a pretty slow release for this side of the pond. Still can be more of a playmaker than pure sniper at times. We shall see a total boom or bust guy
12.) Quine (excellent skater, pretty good vision and looks like he has a build that can still put on more weight. Until he is a pro hard to evaluate, will be a monster in Europe if things don't work out as a NA pro)

Defense

1.) Smith (The points will come, needs to get that half step back he lost this off-season don't really know what happened there, but tough, good at protecting the puck and a good puck mover with jam, probably a #2, maybe he does become a #1, this summer is big for that.)
2.) Ouellet (mature game, coaches best friend, very few mistakes and good for all zones, he is further along in his development than Sproul. Reminds me of Vlasic out in San Jose.)
3.) Sproul (Cannon shot, beast offensively, boarder-line elite skating for a D-man of his size. But he has some work to do defensively and at using his 6'4" 210lbs frame more effectively. Think he is going to be a stud, most potential on the backline, more than even Smith.)
4.) Backman (great two way potential, his offense is really blossomed in the SEL. Crisp passer, doesn't make many mistakes and has picked up a step in his stride.)
5.) Marchenko (Hurt a lot, but the potential is there, playing in the second best league in the world although in limited minutes, he did show off his PP skills, but that will be a tough nut to crack with both Sproul and Jarnkrok coming as right handed point options. Plays physical and doesn't disappoint, vastly underrated by some Wings fans who have not seen him.)
6.) Jensen (WCHA d-man of the year, maybe the best skater in the entire system, really is a treat to watch have no idea why he isn't signed right now, no reason to send him back for a senior season. Don't know if the offense will translate but reminds me of a former Alumni from his university Bret Hedican.)
7.) Almqvist (liked him more than Lashoff in Grand Rapids, has a good stick and is a very good passer, armed with a surprisingly lively shot given his stature, will be tough for him to crack the NHL given some of these guys coming in)
8.) Lashoff (Should be an AHL Captain type and 8th d-man in an organization. Stay at home who can skate, but is prone to poor reads a lot. I know a lot of people think he is a good story this year and he has improved, but he still has a lot of issues, not bad for a free agent, just don't see it and don't think I ever will. Babcock loves him though so that is a big gold star kind of...)

DeKeyser isn't signed but I think he is a better stay at home PK option than Lashoff especially in the future.

Another guy to watch out for is Nicastro, big body that hits and skates well. A good passer, probably Grand Rapids best pairing during the lockout was the five game stretch where Nicastro played with Smith. Chelios sings this kids praises and calls him the strongest D-man in the system along with the most improved over the summer and to start this season.

Last edited by The Zetterberg Era: 03-23-2013 at 01:50 AM.
The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 02:26 AM
joe89

Jarnkrok (2/3 C or top 6 W)
Tatar (top 6 W)
Nyquist (top 6 W)
Sheahan (2/3 C)
Jurco (top 6 W)
Ferraro (top 9 plugger)
Andersson (3/4 C/W)
Frk (top 6 W)
Pulkkinen (top 6 W)
Tvrdon, Athanasiou, Quine I have not seen enough. The main difference between many of these guys is the amount of risk they carry. Jurco, Frk and Pulkkinen are boom or bust prospects. I put Tatar over Nyquist because he's showed he will have no troubles playing on a 3rd line. Overall Sheahan is probably the safest bet due to his size, skating and two-way.

Ouellet (1st pair)
Sproul (#3)
Backman (mid pair)
Almquist (#4/5)
Jensen (#4/5)
Lashoff (bottom pair)
Marchenko (mid pair but health concerns)

Yeah, I'm a little higher on Almquist, his IQ may be the best of the bunch. It's a shame he's not a great skater.

joe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 02:27 AM
InjuredChoker

Zetterberg Era nailed it.

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 03:02 AM
Kurdt Kobain
1967-1994

vCash: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Zetterberg Era View Post
8.) Frk (takes stupid penalties, but my God what a shot. Doesn't play a soft game either, pretty strong on the puck and lots of to like, fell because of injuries in his draft year not really talent.)
Ever since he's come back from the WJC, his attitude and habit for taking stupid penalties has drastically faded. In fact, he's now gone 6 games without taking a penalty at all.. which I know isn't some amazing number compared to other players, but it's a big improvement from what he was.

Since returning, he's taken 16 penalties within 28 games.. an average of .57 penalties a game. He's had a total of 32 penalty minutes in those 28 games, which averages to 1.14pm/g.
Compare that to his 52 penalty minutes in the first 28 games, an average of 1.86pm/g. He took 23 penalties to get those 52 minutes, including two 5min majors. That's an average of .82 penalties a game.

Kurdt Kobain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 03:15 AM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by rey72335 View Post
Ever since he's come back from the WJC, his attitude and habit for taking stupid penalties has drastically faded. In fact, he's now gone 6 games without taking a penalty at all.. which I know isn't some amazing number compared to other players, but it's a big improvement from what he was.

Since returning, he's taken 16 penalties within 28 games.. an average of .57 penalties a game. He's had a total of 32 penalty minutes in those 28 games, which averages to 1.14pm/g.
Compare that to his 52 penalty minutes in the first 28 games, an average of 1.86pm/g. He took 23 penalties to get those 52 minutes, including two 5min majors. That's an average of .82 penalties a game.
I have noticed that, but a lot of his penalties are frustration related. While he was sat and lectured for it early in the season and you could look at that as one reason, the fact he has pretty much been on fire for this whole stretch could play into that as well. Not too much to be frustrated about over his last 40 games and change.

I do know the Wings won't put up with it, they are even getting rid of this behavior in super pest Callahan in GR. They don't tolerate stupid selfish penalties so he will get the message if it does crop up in the pros again or he will be in a different organization. I am a big Frk guy, but it is worth noting as a concern moving forward.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 03:39 AM
Kurdt Kobain
1967-1994

vCash: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Zetterberg Era View Post
I have noticed that, but a lot of his penalties are frustration related. While he was sat and lectured for it early in the season and you could look at that as one reason, the fact he has pretty much been on fire for this whole stretch could play into that as well. Not too much to be frustrated about over his last 40 games and change.

I do know the Wings won't put up with it, they are even getting rid of this behavior in super pest Callahan in GR. They don't tolerate stupid selfish penalties so he will get the message if it does crop up in the pros again or he will be in a different organization. I am a big Frk guy, but it is worth noting as a concern moving forward.
I completely agree, but as I said before, he has calmed down (they even mentioned it during the game tonight vs SJ) and considering not everyone follows Frk, or even Halifax for that matter, I figured I would provide an update.

Anyways, you're right in that it should be noted. I liken it to an addict who's just finished a stint in rehab. You're going to monitor them by chance they might relapse. Now obviously Frk's case isn't actually anything like that, it was just the only thing I could think of quickly to compare it too.

Oh, and by chance that Detroit doesn't want to put up with him.. Toronto calls dibs.

Kurdt Kobain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 05:20 AM
cheerupmurray

Järnkrok did have a less than impressive season. Good upside (like a nice 2-line center producing good on the PP in NHL), but after this season he feels pretty far from a safe bet. Probably a good thing that it's Detroit that have drafted him, since they have patience with their prospects.

cheerupmurray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 06:28 AM
gretskidoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerupmurray View Post
Järnkrok did have a less than impressive season. Good upside (like a nice 2-line center producing good on the PP in NHL), but after this season he feels pretty far from a safe bet. Probably a good thing that it's Detroit that have drafted him, since they have patience with their prospects.
Top 10 in league-wide scoring on a godawful team is not really "less than impressive".

gretskidoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 07:30 AM
The Nose
#BlameTheKids

Janrkrok
Tatar
Nyquist
Sheahan
Jurco
Ferraro
Frk
Athanasiou
Andersson
Pulkkinen
Tvrdon
Quine

Smith
Sproul
Ouellet
Blackman
Jensen
Marchenko
Lashoff

The Nose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 08:38 AM
LeHabsMan

Forwards:
Jarnkrok - Top 6 Forward
Nyquist - Top 6 Winger
Tatar -2nd or 3rd line Winger
Sheahan - 2nd or 3rd line Centre
Jurco - Top 6 Winger
Frk - Top 6 Winger
Andersson - Bottom 6 Forward
Pulkkinen - Top 6 Winger
Ferraro - Top 9 Foward
Tvrdon - Top 6 Winger or Bust
Athanasiou - Top 6 Winger or Bust
Quine - Bottom 6 Forward

Defense:
Ouellet - 1st pairing or #3 D-man
Sproul - 2nd pairing D-man
Backman 2nd pairing D-man
Marchenko #4 or #5 D-man
Almquist - #4 or #5 D-man
Jensen - #4 or #5 D-man
Lashoff - #6 or #7 D-man

LeHabsMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 08:44 AM
The Nose
#BlameTheKids

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs4TheCup View Post
Forwards:
Jarnkrok - Top 6 Forward
Nyquist - Top 6 Winger
Jurco - Top 6 Winger
Frk - Top 6 Winger
Pulkkinen - Top 6 Winger
Ferraro - Top 9 Foward
Quine - Bottom 6 Forward

Defense:
Marchenko #4 or #5 D-man
Jensen - #4 or #5 D-man
Lashoff - #6 or #7 D-man
I'm assuming that's there ceiling, correct? Because even being a Wings fan there's no way the majority of them make it to Detroit - a lot will though.

The Nose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 09:11 AM
InjuredChoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs4TheCup View Post
Forwards:
Jarnkrok - Top 6 Forward
Nyquist - Top 6 Winger
Jurco - Top 6 Winger
Frk - Top 6 Winger
Pulkkinen - Top 6 Winger
Ferraro - Top 9 Foward
Quine - Bottom 6 Forward

Defense:
Marchenko #4 or #5 D-man
Jensen - #4 or #5 D-man
Lashoff - #6 or #7 D-man
Athanasiou's speed could allow him to be bottom 6er imo.

Old
03-23-2013, 09:39 AM
Trvp Lord

Send a message via MSN to Trvp Lord
Quote:
Originally Posted by kemisti View Post
Athanasiou's speed could allow him to be bottom 6er imo.
Yeah. Even some DRW staff has said that.

Trvp Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 11:04 AM
PensBandwagonerNo272
the march

vCash: 450
You guys are still pretty high on Sheahan?

PensBandwagonerNo272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 11:10 AM
Guru Meditation
Service Unavailable

Quote:
Originally Posted by PensBandwagonerNo272 View Post
He's had a great first year. Before this, we were all kind of afraid that he had low offensive upside. He looked like a checker for a while. He's really proved us wrong, though. He still probably won't be a primary scoring type player, but he could definitely ride shotgun with offensive guys on a second line.

Guru Meditation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 11:12 AM
LeHabsMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nose View Post
I'm assuming that's there ceiling, correct? Because even being a Wings fan there's no way the majority of them make it to Detroit - a lot will though.
Yes potential. Maybe half will actually reach it.

LeHabsMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 12:30 PM
Jimbo7200

Quote:
I still see him as a Kesler type. Lockdown defensive 2nd line center at even strength, who can produce at a good offensive clip and contribute on special teams.

I'm higher on Sheahan than most though.

Jimbo7200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 02:14 PM
newfy

Quote:
I watched him at ND and you could see he had all the talent but was used in a pretty bad role for offensive production. The only people who were calling him a bust were the types who dont watch games.

Ever since his arrest hes been awesome in the AHL. He and Ferraro are probably the best PK unit in the entire league, hes awesome defensively and hes scoring at a pretty good clip right now in the AHL.

newfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 03:38 PM
yave1964
22 and counting

Jarnkrok is a future stud, Nyquist and Tatar are both rotation guys with top six ability if everything works out. I really like Frk, thought he was a steal in the second round, IMO the rest of the forwards are too questionable to call at this point, Sheahan could be a second liner or Tinky winky, the rest are too far off. I am not really a fan of Jurco, don't see it.

On the Blue line, Zetterberg nailed it, Brendan Smith is gonna be a top four forever, Ouellet is close and has no stupendous strengths but no real weaknesses. And like Z, for the life of me I don't know what Babcock sees in Lashoff. In two years I believe he will be forgotten either in the minors or Europe.

yave1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 04:46 PM
InjuredChoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by yave1964 View Post
Jarnkrok is a future stud, Nyquist and Tatar are both rotation guys with top six ability if everything works out. I really like Frk, thought he was a steal in the second round, IMO the rest of the forwards are too questionable to call at this point, Sheahan could be a second liner or Tinky winky, the rest are too far off. I am not really a fan of Jurco, don't see it.

On the Blue line, Zetterberg nailed it, Brendan Smith is gonna be a top four forever, Ouellet is close and has no stupendous strengths but no real weaknesses. And like Z, for the life of me I don't know what Babcock sees in Lashoff. In two years I believe he will be forgotten either in the minors or Europe.
Care to elaborate?

Old
03-23-2013, 05:10 PM
yave1964
22 and counting

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemisti View Post
Care to elaborate?
Yes. I watch every game, and quite a few Griffins games as well, I think it has been a decade since I missed seeing a Wings game. Brian Lashoff does nothing for me for the following reasons:

Lashoff scored in his first game, on a very nice slapper from the point against the Jackets. Fans jumped on the bandwagon quickly but I have seen enough of him with the Griffins to be weary.

his career stats in Grand Rapids: 125 games, 9 goals 20 assists -8 and 68 PIMs. I am not going to make it sound like I watch every Griffin game but from what I saw in the AHL he gets turned around way to easily by quicker players and finds himself out of position too often. A big son of a gun, 6.3 and 210 pounds it would seem his size would be a huge advantage but he is timid and plays a soft game for someone his size.
Since his goal against Columbus, he has went 25 games with zero goals and only 3 assists, and a -6, he averages just over 18 minutes a game with zero offensive ability.
I think this is top shelf for him. I really feel he will follow in his older brothers genetic footsteps, and will be gone and forgotten within the next few years back to the minors or Europe. I have probably watched him at least fifty times between the Griffins and the Wings and just don't see anything that would make me think he is an NHL regular blueliner. As a seventh guy, Meh, if there were no better options I guess so. But really, I doubt he could handle that role with any consistency.

yave1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 05:27 PM
InjuredChoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by yave1964 View Post
Yes. I watch every game, and quite a few Griffins games as well, I think it has been a decade since I missed seeing a Wings game. Brian Lashoff does nothing for me for the following reasons:

Lashoff scored in his first game, on a very nice slapper from the point against the Jackets. Fans jumped on the bandwagon quickly but I have seen enough of him with the Griffins to be weary.

his career stats in Grand Rapids: 125 games, 9 goals 20 assists -8 and 68 PIMs. I am not going to make it sound like I watch every Griffin game but from what I saw in the AHL he gets turned around way to easily by quicker players and finds himself out of position too often. A big son of a gun, 6.3 and 210 pounds it would seem his size would be a huge advantage but he is timid and plays a soft game for someone his size.
Since his goal against Columbus, he has went 25 games with zero goals and only 3 assists, and a -6, he averages just over 18 minutes a game with zero offensive ability.
I think this is top shelf for him. I really feel he will follow in his older brothers genetic footsteps, and will be gone and forgotten within the next few years back to the minors or Europe. I have probably watched him at least fifty times between the Griffins and the Wings and just don't see anything that would make me think he is an NHL regular blueliner. As a seventh guy, Meh, if there were no better options I guess so. But really, I doubt he could handle that role with any consistency.
No I meant that Zetterberg, reference.

Quote:
And like Z, for the life of me I don't know what Babcock sees in Lashoff
Has Z said something about Lashoff somewhere or what did you mean?

I agree what you said about Lashoff btw. He is 7th Dman now, maybe legit bottom pairing in the future. Maybe. Must improve his positioning.