Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Booing? I thought we were better...

Old
03-23-2013, 07:25 AM
puck stoppa

vCash: 500
How about the "Jets are brutal" chant last night, that's a bit rough.

puck stoppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 07:31 AM
bigplay41
BIG MEECH

Send a message via AIM to bigplay41
Instead of booing I decided to say screw the 3rd period and left. Best decision I made ended up watching March madness and drank cheaper beer at home with my girl

bigplay41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 07:43 AM
almostawake

I've never boo'd my team's performance before but were I there last night I would have. I understand the fatigue but to produce that kind of effort against the team that beat them the night before bothers me a great deal.

It wouldn't bother me nearly as much if it were not the same team both nights, but when a team embarrasses you like that at home and you have a shot at them the very next day you better not have problems motivating yourself.

almostawake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 08:00 AM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by puck stoppa View Post
How about the "Jets are brutal" chant last night, that's a bit rough.
Not after this last week it's not

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 08:24 AM
SensibleGuy

Look, I was at the game last night and while I didn't boo, I did feel a little booing was not un-justified. Most of the booing occurred when something particularly bad was going on on the ice (mostly when the Jets were on a PP and having a real problem making a single pass to get out of our zone). The second anything positive happened (and last night, I mean anything - a shot near the Cap's net, a semi decent hit, something that looked like a potential scoring play developing) the crowd started cheering. People are looking for any positive thing to cheer about. Sitting in the stands watching that game last night was not a fun experience.

I just don't buy the fatigue thing that much either. Every team is in pretty much the same boat in that regard.

SensibleGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 09:00 AM
truck
HFB Partner

I will never ever boo our side. Never.

I understand why people would want to boo, but it is little more than a whiny baby tactic IMO.

Not interested in piling on when the guys are having a rough night. No interest in giving the opponent more satisfaction.

EDIT

I generally don't get particularly high or low after individual games. Maybe I am odd.

Last edited by truck: 03-23-2013 at 09:54 AM.
truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 09:52 AM
Gotaf7

vCash: 50
I would have to agree that the booing as they left the ice was a little lame, however that 'SHOOT THE PUCK" chant was masterful!

Gotaf7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 09:58 AM
SCP Guy

We expect a certain level of effort that has not been present the last few games....and after a few $9 beers I can not help but let them know what they are doing on the ice is pissing me off......since tnse does not give me access to send text messages to be displayed on the scoreboard (that would be epic btw) I have no choice but to use my voice to pass along my displeasure to the boys

SCP Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 10:10 AM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

so booing your own them for two horrible performances in 24 hours is NOT okay,

but booing an opposing player is?

Old
03-23-2013, 10:14 AM
GrandChelems

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCP Guy View Post
We expect a certain level of effort that has not been present the last few games....and after a few $9 beers I can not help but let them know what they are doing on the ice is pissing me off......since tnse does not give me access to send text messages to be displayed on the scoreboard (that would be epic btw) I have no choice but to use my voice to pass along my displeasure to the boys
With all due respect, this is why we get booing at games now. Fans have this idea that when they walk into the arena it's all about them and them alone. They care more about the $9 beer than having an NHL team in this city for 7 months of the year, and expect the team to be their support rather than being the 7th man. They say stupid crap all game and make sure that everyone around them hears it, and generally ruin the experience for those that appreciate it for what it is.

I guess that even though we all get older, some of us still throw our toys out of the pram and have temper tantrums when things don't go our way.

PS. We were 3rd in the East yesterday. I'm not booing. Bring on TBay.

GrandChelems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 10:18 AM
jungles

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandChelems View Post
Fans have this idea that when they walk into the arena it's all about them and them alone.
With all due respect, it is about the fans, and it should be. Without those fans paying $150 a ticket, $9 a beer, $200 a jersey, and $10/month to watch on TV, there would be no team. No league. No professional sports.

Sports is part of the entertainment industry, and when the only people in the building that look more bored and disinterested than the fans are the players? Darn right they deserve to hear about it.

jungles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 10:28 AM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

One more thing
If the fans shouldnt boo they the Jets **** the bed, they shouldnt cheer them when things go good

Old
03-23-2013, 10:29 AM
EpicGingy

vCash: 932
Sometimes, a little kick in the ass helps people get jump started.

Time to see if that'll work. They should know the fans that support their team care, and aren't happy.

EpicGingy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 10:30 AM
Back in the Bigs
and lovin' it !!

last night wasn't a great game to be at...worst I've been to by far.. I *****ed and complained to my buddy a few times about certain plays and players.. who wouldn't? People can do what they want, but I'm not booing them. Saw that tons of times in Jets 1.0
Put it in perspective, we were on a good roll, but IMO we've been overachieving with a middle of the road lineup and have pulled victory out of 5 or 6 games we had no business winning. We're 4 or 5 players away from being where we need to be, in the meantime we're going to be up and down like a ****house seat.
Absolutely, we need a lot better effort from lots of guys and it's the least we should be able to expect, but nobody knows it more than the players themselves.

Boo all you want if you think it'll help, to each their own, I guess... but it's pretty bush league, me thinks.

Back in the Bigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 10:32 AM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

Whats bush league is booing ovechkin or crosby
Or those stupid crosbys better or silver medal chants

Old
03-23-2013, 10:34 AM
ajmidd12
Know-It-All

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokerD View Post
The last two nights were atrocious! Anyone at the games would have to agree that those were two of the worst games the Jet's 2.0 have played to date. I spent a g-note on these crap games! I was booing like a mad man after tonight's performance. The ending of the game really pissed me off.... Montoya gets his head ripped off and nobody does anything???? Postma turns away, Meech could care less, and our resident tough guy Thorbs spent most of the time hunched over Montoya!!! Geeze, could you imagine if that were Tuukka Rask?? Unfu@*ing believable!
Completely agree, there was absolutely ZERO effort on all fronts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DominikPavelec View Post
I absolutely agree 100%! People booing are ridiculous. We're currently 3rd (for now) and played a couple bad games. So what? You paid good money, so you're entitled to wins every time you go to a game? That's not how it works, you win some and you lose some. A real fan sticks by their team through thick and thin.

If anyone feels cheated out of their money I'd gladly buy your tickets. Better yet, let someone in the waiting list take them, I'm sure they're chomping at the bit to have the privilege to watch games.
I have maybe missed 10 games combined between last year and this year, I own pretty much everything Jets, know all the stats, and watch all the road games. Last night, I felt like I was watching the Manitoba Moose last night at triple the cost against an NHL club. It was beyond terrible, there was no sense of urgency, no desire to play better, NOTHING.

Personally I felt cheated, like I was grossly overpaying for something. I don't mind the team losing, I don't like it but it is what it is, but these last two games were beyond unbelievable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandChelems View Post
PS. We were 3rd in the East yesterday. I'm not booing. Bring on TBay.
Yeah, 2 points ahead WITH 2 games more played... This week was definitely crucial in our road to division title or a playoff spot.

Guess you didn't notice that Carolina is also 8th in the conference now tied with 9th....

Oh and dropping 4 points to Washington brought them into striking distance. Plus they also have a game in hand on us. All I know is they better turn it around and quickly.

Last edited by ajmidd12: 03-23-2013 at 11:28 AM.
ajmidd12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 10:37 AM
Back in the Bigs
and lovin' it !!

Predictably, somebody tried starting the "Let's go Bombers" chant, didn't get far thankfully

Back in the Bigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 10:40 AM
Whileee

Quote:
Originally Posted by garret9 View Post
Meh...

I see both sides.
Personally I wouldn't boo, but I understand how people would want to.
That's how I feel. I never feel like booing, but can understand fans' frustration. Personally, I'm not just disappointed with some of the players, but also with the coaching staff. Seeing Jokinen (on the point) and Wellwood on the power play (still) is beyond frustrating. This obviously isn't working.

Whileee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 10:41 AM
allan5oh
#Dive4Five #31Buyout

vCash: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Woodballs View Post
Whats bush league is booing ovechkin or crosby
Or those stupid crosbys better or silver medal chants
Nah it's all in fun. Even Crosby said as much. Those chants are fantastic, just shows how much we love having hockey back.

Now if we started a "lets go bombers" chant that would be crossing the line. There's nothing wrong with a little bit of booing for bad effort.

allan5oh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 10:45 AM
bigplay41
BIG MEECH

Send a message via AIM to bigplay41
im pretty sure these millionaire hockey players can handle a little booeing

bigplay41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 10:52 AM
Stej
Good Canadian Kid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Woodballs View Post
so booing your own them for two horrible performances in 24 hours is NOT okay,

but booing an opposing player is?
Now you are starting to get it! We're trying to **** with the other team's minds, not our own team's. The booing of the opposition is tongue-in-cheek. The booing of the home team stems from a sense of entitlement and is much darker with a more serious effect. It implies all kinds of foolish things.

If any of you really believe that those guys don't care about trying to win for themselves, the organization, the owners, and the city; I don't know what to tell you except that you must have never played a competitive sport and had it turn out different than what you had hoped/expected. It's cute when I hear the media say stuff like "I thought they had turned a corner and we were past these types of performances". Newsflash people, EVERY SINGLE TEAM IN EVERY SINGLE SPORT WILL HAVE THESE KINDS OF GAMES FOR THE REST OF ETERNITY. Get used to it.

We're no better than ****ing Leafs fans. Step away from the ledge people.

Stej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 10:56 AM
Diatidialga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back in the Bigs View Post
Predictably, somebody tried starting the "Let's go Bombers" chant, didn't get far thankfully
That's total bush league,

Everyone knows the correct cheer is "Lets go Blue!"

Diatidialga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 10:57 AM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stej View Post
Now you are starting to get it! We're trying to **** with the other team's minds, not our own team's. The booing of the opposition is tongue-in-cheek. The booing of the home team stems from a sense of entitlement and is much darker with a more serious effect. It implies all kinds of foolish things.

If any of you really believe that those guys don't care about trying to win for themselves, the organization, the owners, and the city; I don't know what to tell you except that you must have never played a competitive sport and had it turn out different than what you had hoped/expected. It's cute when I hear the media say stuff like "I thought they had turned a corner and we were past these types of performances". Newsflash people, EVERY SINGLE TEAM IN EVERY SINGLE SPORT WILL HAVE THESE KINDS OF GAMES FOR THE REST OF ETERNITY. Get used to it.

We're no better than ****ing Leafs fans. Step away from the ledge people.
I agree.

truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 11:00 AM
peg

vCash: 4130
We are "fueled by passion". I guess passion runs both ways. When I go to a Goldeye game I could care less if they win or not and usually by the 4th or 5th inning I'm thinking about where to go after the game for a bite.

I personally would never boo, but I would rather be at a place where fans are booing because they care then sitting on their hands, or worse yet, using their hands to text while the game is on.

peg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 11:01 AM
Sly Jets Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onion View Post
That's kind of a cop out. Of course people can behave how they want, and they always will, but I had hoped that as knowledgeable hockey fans this city, in majority, wouldn't even resort to booing our own team.

I pay good money to attend games too, doesn't give mean I *should* boo the team if they're struggling.
I didn't say they should boo, I said they could if they want. There's a difference.

Sly Jets Fan is offline   Reply With Quote