HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 Draft Discussion (Mar. 29 article, post #976)

Closed Thread

Old
03-23-2013, 11:04 AM
Jack de la Hoya

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
I'd agree with the order being proposed here, depending on where the Flyers are picking:
1) Jones
2) MacKinnon
3) Drouin
4) Barkov
5) Nurse

And it makes perfect sense, as LoD posted, for Columbus to use one of their picks on Nikushkin if he is available when they draft. They can arguably afford to take the chance on him and still snag a couple of lower-risk players.
I think that the Caps could take Nichushkin. Or Tampa Bay.

Not over the top three guys, and maybe not over Barkov, but over some of the others? I could see that.

Old
03-23-2013, 11:10 AM
Flyotes
DownieFaceSoftener

As a fanbase, are we okay with someone related to McNabb, who will undoubtedly, because he cannot stop himself, poison the hell out of the mind of anyone he comes in contact with regarding how to behave in Philadelphia?

He just cannot shut his dumb mouth.

Old
03-23-2013, 11:28 AM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack de la Hoya View Post
I think that the Caps could take Nichushkin. Or Tampa Bay.

Not over the top three guys, and maybe not over Barkov, but over some of the others? I could see that.
Agreed, they could, after a long internal discussion of risk-benefit. And their fanbases, arguably, are a bit more patient. The pressure for the Flyers on grabbing a high-impact player this season, after an uncharacteristically disastrous result and with such a deep draft class, is too high to make a mistake that could be avoided by avoiding a player with question marks like Nichushkin (thanks for correcting my spelling).

Old
03-23-2013, 11:56 AM
daynus

yah i agree with you guys

yah we gotta nail this pick. our pick has got to be a stud. nichuskin (sp) is way to risky at the spot we will be picking, pretty darn low.. washington may get a potential home run if they pick nich. but the caps are a really funny team, more bizarre than us.so we know what we need, but watching the caps, its like what do they need. i would say ovie playing a style that wins games for them. we need a top 6 forward with star power and a dman than can skate and improve our transition game.and when these young guys we have improve, this is gonna be one scary team. as shaky as our goaltending has been a coach with a more defensive style will improve that. and that stolarz kid we drafted from jersey is progressing as we need him to be. are we gonna take a run at bernier. maybe, if involves matt read, as much as i like read, i would sleep well with that. and trading briere, he has done a lot for us in 4 yrs and that is appreciated. but its time for his contract to leave.

Old
03-23-2013, 12:09 PM
JackStraw
Moving much too slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownieFaceSoftener View Post
As a fanbase, are we okay with someone related to McNabb, who will undoubtedly, because he cannot stop himself, poison the hell out of the mind of anyone he comes in contact with regarding how to behave in Philadelphia?

I'd be very comfortable with it. There is nothing McNabb can tell him that any Flyers player who has been there for any length of time couldn't also tell him. This should be a serious non-issue.

Old
03-23-2013, 01:07 PM
Brayden Pattison

Has anyone seen Shea Theodore play(Seattle, WHL)? He may still be around when the Flyers pick in the 2nd. His offensive numbers are excellent and I'm curious as to whether or not he can defend.

Old
03-23-2013, 02:42 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad St Cyberbully View Post
Has anyone seen Shea Theodore play(Seattle, WHL)? He may still be around when the Flyers pick in the 2nd. His offensive numbers are excellent and I'm curious as to whether or not he can defend.
He's a little weak physically and his defense is a work in progress. No one seems to have a real report on what his weight is. I've read on some places that he's 154 pounds while the Thuderbirds website has him listed at 175 pounds.

In Theodore's defense, he's got a rocket of a shot and he's become very successful at running the point of a power play. Anyone who drafts him, you're looking at a four year window before he makes the big club. Head Coach Steve Konowalchuk has compared him to Mike Green, but I don't see the Mike Green comparisons. I'd say his game is more similar to that of Kris Russell's game. The one thing that Theodore will have though will be size IF he can put on more weight.

Old
03-23-2013, 02:42 PM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo Mad Bro View Post
No doubt that Drouin is an elite prospect. His hands are the best in the draft IMO, and he just oozes offense.

But I still think MacKinnon is the better prospect, because he has elite talent like Drouin, but has better skating and a better frame. His body and game is just much more suited for the NHL.

I still think Jones is the best prospect in the draft though.
Drouin not only has the best hands in the draft but some of the best hands to EVER come into the league.

MacKinnon may be slightly bigger and a faster skater, but you can't teach what Drouin has in smarts and hands. You can improve your skating and you can fill out physically, but you can't get a player to think the game at Drouin's level. The kid has unreal intangibles.

Quote:

They're not related by blood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad St Cyberbully View Post
I like him. He needs some work on the defensive side of the puck, but I'm always in favor of drafting the offensive defenseman and teaching them the defensive side of the game as opposed to the other way around. To put up the points he did as an 18 year old on the team he was on is quite impressive. I have a feeling he rises into the first come June.

Old
03-23-2013, 02:46 PM
Rolex

So many of you have seen a lot of NA players and a re focusing on them. I don't see any evaluations of the Euros here. There are several of them that deserve to be considered in the top tier. Ristolainen for sure.
Aside from Pitkanen, the Flyers haven't delved into Euro market very frequently, meanwhile almost every other team is loading up with good Euro defensemen. They may not be the big strong Weber types but they usually are good passers and strong positional players. Something that the Flyers lack. When the team does get a talented Euro, they are kicked to the curb for being soft. Pitkanen or Seidenberg would look pretty nice on the Flyer's blue line right now.

Old
03-23-2013, 02:52 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolex View Post
So many of you have seen a lot of NA players and a re focusing on them. I don't see any evaluations of the Euros here. There are several of them that deserve to be considered in the top tier. Ristolainen for sure.
Aside from Pitkanen, the Flyers haven't delved into Euro market very frequently, meanwhile almost every other team is loading up with good Euro defensemen. They may not be the big strong Weber types but they usually are good passers and strong positional players. Something that the Flyers lack. When the team does get a talented Euro, they are kicked to the curb for being soft. Pitkanen or Seidenberg would look pretty nice on the Flyer's blue line right now.
Pitkanen asked to be moved because he wasn't happy in Philadelphia. It had nothing to do with the Flyers not being happy with him. As for Seidenberg, I think everyone would want that move back, especially when you consider he was moved for Petr Nedved. It was a panic move that Clarke made. However, let's not forget that Seidenberg didn't really blossom as a defender until he got to Boston and paired up with Chara.

Old
03-23-2013, 03:06 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYguy3911 View Post
Drouin not only has the best hands in the draft but some of the best hands to EVER come into the league.

MacKinnon may be slightly bigger and a faster skater, but you can't teach what Drouin has in smarts and hands. You can improve your skating and you can fill out physically, but you can't get a player to think the game at Drouin's level. The kid has unreal intangibles.

I like him. He needs some work on the defensive side of the puck, but I'm always in favor of drafting the offensive defenseman and teaching them the defensive side of the game as opposed to the other way around. To put up the points he did as an 18 year old on the team he was on is quite impressive. I have a feeling he rises into the first come June.
Whoa, whoa guy.

He hasn't even played a game at the nhl level lets wait until we deem his hands some of the best to ever enter the NHL.

Old
03-23-2013, 03:10 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Ristolainen gets plenty of love on here by certain posters. The thing with him is he's considered a safe pick with not as much upside as other defensemen in this draft. That's why you see some posters wanting Nurse or Zadorov a lot.

Old
03-23-2013, 03:12 PM
SolidSnakeUS

I'm one of those guys that likes Rist. I like Nurse more (and possible same with Pulock), but still I would be happy to see Rist here.

Old
03-23-2013, 03:16 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
Whoa, whoa guy.

He hasn't even played a game at the nhl level lets wait until we deem his hands some of the best to ever enter the NHL.
Yeah he's got some sick hands very Patrick Kane like. But it's a lot easier to stick handle around defenders in juniors than the NHL. We should wait until plays a game first before claiming that.

Old
03-23-2013, 03:21 PM
Brayden Pattison

Thanks, gentlemen-just what I was looking for. I have seen Theodore's shot in highlights, and liked what I saw.

Not to be too negative, but I've pretty much come to accept that whatever a player is in juniors is what we're stuck with, because developing young players is not exactly an organizational strong suit.

Old
03-23-2013, 03:23 PM
SolidSnakeUS

I realized something. I've been calling Ristolainen "Rist", and the last two videos I watched of him, he has a very good wrister. So... it makes sense then.

Old
03-23-2013, 04:40 PM
Flyotes
DownieFaceSoftener

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYguy3911 View Post
They're related by cell phone. Close enough McNabb can call him and let him know how much of a victim he is going to be, how the fans are horrible, and how you should not want to play there as soon as you can get out, do.

He's that bitter I would expect that phone call to happen.

Old
03-23-2013, 05:12 PM
Rolex

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
Pitkanen asked to be moved because he wasn't happy in Philadelphia. It had nothing to do with the Flyers not being happy with him. As for Seidenberg, I think everyone would want that move back, especially when you consider he was moved for Petr Nedved. It was a panic move that Clarke made. However, let's not forget that Seidenberg didn't really blossom as a defender until he got to Boston and paired up with Chara.
IIRC, the team stood around while Fedoruk punched him in the face during a practice session. Nothing came out of that.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qu8-SBTUcqY
Seriously who was Fedoruk to take on a kid like that? It had to send a bad message to Pitkanen at the time. Can't blame him for wanting out of here after that.
Seidenberg started to show some skills while he was a Flyer. He did play better with the Hurricanes before going on to the B's. The skill was there but the Flyers wanted crease clearing defensemen instead, as usual.

Last edited by Rolex: 03-23-2013 at 05:17 PM.
Old
03-23-2013, 05:19 PM
JackStraw
Moving much too slow

Quote:
They're related by cell phone. Close enough McNabb can call him and let him know how much of a victim he is going to be, how the fans are horrible, and how you should not want to play there as soon as you can get out, do.

He's that bitter I would expect that phone call to happen.
I don't remember McNabb wanting out of Philly. I suspect that he has fonder memories of his time there than some fans do. To put it more bluntly, if the Flyers were to draft Nurse and there were to be any issues in any way involving his relationship with McNabb, I'm pretty sure those issues would be instigated by either the fans or the media, not by McNabb.

Old
03-23-2013, 05:47 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
IIRC, the team stood around while Fedoruk punched him in the face during a practice session. Nothing came out of that.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qu8-SBTUcqY
Seriously who was Fedoruk to take on a kid like that? It had to send a bad message to Pitkanen at the time. Can't blame him for wanting out of here after that.

Seidenberg started to show some skills while he was a Flyer. He did play better with the Hurricanes before going on to the B's. The skill was there but the Flyers wanted crease clearing defensemen instead, as usual.
If that's the real reason he wanted out, then I'm glad we got rid of him. Fights happen between teammates at practices all the time. If he couldn't put it past him then I would have to question his character.

Last edited by LegionOfDoom91: 03-23-2013 at 05:53 PM.
Old
03-23-2013, 06:08 PM
Flyotes
DownieFaceSoftener

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackStraw View Post
I don't remember McNabb wanting out of Philly. I suspect that he has fonder memories of his time there than some fans do. To put it more bluntly, if the Flyers were to draft Nurse and there were to be any issues in any way involving his relationship with McNabb, I'm pretty sure those issues would be instigated by either the fans or the media, not by McNabb.
He wanted out of Philadelphia or the criticism to end completely if you listen to the former Eagle players turned radiohosts. He wanted to play for the Bears around 2007.

.... and you're insane if you don't think McNabb would be calling him. If you're one of those McNabb apologists, just say so now so I can end this conversation.

Old
03-23-2013, 06:18 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
He wanted out of Philadelphia or the criticism to end completely if you listen to the former Eagle players turned radiohosts. He wanted to play for the Bears around 2007.

.... and you're insane if you don't think McNabb would be calling him. If you're one of those McNabb apologists, just say so now so I can end this conversation.
Like another person said they're not even related by blood. We don't even know what their relationship is like. I think you're worrying a little too much about this.

For the record I can't stand McNabb.

Old
03-23-2013, 06:58 PM
poneill27

Quote:

Bro you need to ease up. If we draft him it will be fine.

Old
03-23-2013, 07:09 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by poneill27 View Post
Bro you need to ease up. If we draft him it will be fine.
Just wait until he starts drilling all his passes into the feet of players.

03-23-2013, 08:13 PM
JackStraw
Moving much too slow

Quote:

According to Nurse they already speak by phone regularly, so whatever damage you're worrying about has probably already been done. Maybe Nurse will refuse to play for the Flyers like Linrdros refused to play for Quebec? Seriously, this is way low on the list of things for Flyers fans to worry about. I would love to get Nurse, I don't care if his uncle is Gary Bettman (we know he hates the Flyers).

Closed Thread