HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 Leafs Trades/Proposals/Signings XI - Winter... I mean...Deadline approaching

Closed Thread

Old
03-23-2013, 06:13 AM
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by charliolemieux View Post
So you wouldn't move Komi for picks?

OR how about Connolly?

Even Holzer might be worth a 5th.

What did we trade Steckel and Brown for???? Oh right, a 26yr old prospect and draft picks. Silly me.

We also have several role players on the Marlies right now.

BUt ya in our position Nonis is handcuffed by the idea of one round of playoff hockey.

Maybe two if miss Pit and Bos. Fingers crossed for 4th 5th or 6th.:
Because those are players surplus to our needs and worth essentially nothing to the team or in trade value. I have been careful in my posts in mentioning that the UFAs who wont be traded for futures are the important ones, or that if they are traded, they will be for an upgrade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post
Pretty sure Nonis has said that he doesn't mind having UFA's on his team.

Imagine you're a player on a team that is in the playoffs...and your GM starts selling pieces of that team for futures.

You're being paid millions to perform and put your team in the playoffs..how angry would you be they trade two players that are playing well for futures?

They're not trading Bozak or MacArthur.
Excellent point and one which hadnt crossed my mind

Old
03-23-2013, 06:35 AM
Rockinz
Leafs 4 the cup

I can see them not wanting to trade MacA BUT i really feel we should sell high on Bozak..

I feel it is best for the team NOW and on draft day.

NOW because i feel Kadri is a MUCH better option as the #1C and it seems with Bozak on this team Kadri won't be given his opportunity to play with Kessel.

Kadri
Grabo
McClement
Komarov

Solid down the middle IMO and it gives Grabo the chance to play a more offensive game and McClement IMO would be a great shutdown 3rd line C. This option truly puts everyone in their natural position to be successful and gives us quality assets on draft day.

Also on draft day we would have another 1st + 3rd to let Morrison swing for the fences with.

A team like Van/Chi/Det who are win now mode because of the age of their team will pay a kings ransom for Bozak.

TOR: 1st + 3rd
PO Team: Bozak

Old
03-23-2013, 07:17 AM
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockinz View Post
I can see them not wanting to trade MacA BUT i really feel we should sell high on Bozak..

I feel it is best for the team NOW and on draft day.

NOW because i feel Kadri is a MUCH better option as the #1C and it seems with Bozak on this team Kadri won't be given his opportunity to play with Kessel.

Kadri
Grabo
McClement
Komarov

Solid down the middle IMO and it gives Grabo the chance to play a more offensive game and McClement IMO would be a great shutdown 3rd line C. This option truly puts everyone in their natural position to be successful and gives us quality assets on draft day.

Also on draft day we would have another 1st + 3rd to let Morrison swing for the fences with.

A team like Van/Chi/Det who are win now mode because of the age of their team will pay a kings ransom for Bozak.

TOR: 1st + 3rd
PO Team: Bozak
Komarov is a winger. Hes stated so himself. He may ahve played C at some point but hes converted.

Trading Bozak really doesnt make us any better unless Nonis flips other assets along with him for a better C.

And for now, at least, we ARE a playoff team

Old
03-23-2013, 07:25 AM
Rockinz
Leafs 4 the cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by blasted_Sabre View Post
Komarov is a winger. Hes stated so himself. He may ahve played C at some point but hes converted.

Trading Bozak really doesnt make us any better unless Nonis flips other assets along with him for a better C.

Komarov has played the 4th line center role for us this year and IMO did a good job.

I like having our pest with the big boys too

Obviously we are a PO team today (6th) BUT i think Bozak is holding back BOTH Kadri and Grabo...

PLUS he is a UFA and easily can walk for nothing...

I truly feel we would be a better team with Kadri and Grabo as our 1 - 2 punch with McClement as our 3rd line shutdown guy.

JVR - Kadri - Kessel
MacA - Grabo - Lupul
Kulemin - McClement - Frattin
McLaren - Komarov - Orr

Last edited by Rockinz: 03-23-2013 at 07:33 AM.
Old
03-23-2013, 07:37 AM
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

Quote:
Komarov has played the 4th line center role for us this year and IMO did a good job.

I like having our pest with the big boys too

Obviously we are a PO team today (6th) BUT i think Bozak is holding back BOTH Kadri and Grabo...

PLUS he is a UFA and easily can walk for nothing...

I truly feel we would be a better team with Kadri and Grabo as our 1 - 2 punch with McClement as our 3rd line shutdown guy.

JVR - Kadri - Kessel
MacA - Grabo - Lupul
Kulemin - McClement - Frattin
McLaren - Komarov - Orr
We're not going to be icing both heavies in the playoffs. And quite frankly I dont think it keeps Nonis awake at night that Bozak might walk for nothing. Missing the playoffs because he traded Bozak would

Old
03-23-2013, 07:47 AM
Rockinz
Leafs 4 the cup

Quote:
We're not going to be icing both heavies in the playoffs. And quite frankly I dont think it keeps Nonis awake at night that Bozak might walk for nothing. Missing the playoffs because he traded Bozak would
I see your point and it's a valid one.

My point is we would be BETTER without him PLUS we gain assets at the draft.

1. If Nonis traded Bozak for a 1st + 3rd AND we made the PO's he would be a god...

2. If he doesn't trade Bozak and we miss the PO's and Bozak walks for nothing... Nonis will get crucified..

3. If he doesn't trade Bozak and we make the PO's he will be pressured to OVERPAY him to stay AND we will be holding back Kadri long term PLUS adding another inflated contract...

4. If he trades Bozak for a 1st + 3rd and we miss the PO's... At least we gained quality picks in a good draft year AND gave Kadri a chance to succeed.

Old
03-23-2013, 07:50 AM
Ricky Bobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdawg1234 View Post
They'll trade the scraps though, I.E Liles, Connolly for picks and rightfully so.

I think MacA stays with us being in a playoff position, gonna need offensive depth for sure.

However we do need another top 4 d-man if we wanna make noise in the playoffs this year, or even just to make the playoffs haha. So I'd toss some picks the other way for that, just not sure who i'd go for.

However in the Off-season I would heavily go after Stastny, more and more looks like it could be the ideal trade for us, price shouldnt be high, but he definitely fills the top centre role.

BTW: Connolly is just rotting in the AHL, I mean he's no all-star but he's definitely a top-9 forward, deserves to be in the NHL just like Komi, at a lower cost.
Liles has shifted to the right side and has been playing 20 good minutes a game for us recently so I don't he's going anywhere unless upgrade comes into replace him but I don't see that happening till the off-season.

Kostka and Holzer were given every opportunity to win a 20 minute a night spot and both failed so I feel Carlyle will go with Liles the rest of the way and we'll better team cause of it.

Connolly hasn't even been a top AHLer which is sad. If he really wants back in the NHL then he do something about. The guy is auditioning for every NHL club for this year and potentially a contract next year and isn't make a great case for himself.

Trading CMac wouldn't hurt us that much. He adds some offence but nothing else and offence has never been the problem for this team. I'd rather have the extra picks/prospects to give Nonis extra assets at the draft. But he probably does stay because trading him for futures sends the wrong message to the players in the room.

Last edited by Ricky Bobby: 03-23-2013 at 08:02 AM.
Old
03-23-2013, 08:17 AM
19buds67
Rookie User

Quote:
I see your point and it's a valid one.

My point is we would be BETTER without him PLUS we gain assets at the draft.

1. If Nonis traded Bozak for a 1st + 3rd AND we made the PO's he would be a god...

2. If he doesn't trade Bozak and we miss the PO's and Bozak walks for nothing... Nonis will get crucified..

3. If he doesn't trade Bozak and we make the PO's he will be pressured to OVERPAY him to stay AND we will be holding back Kadri long term PLUS adding another inflated contract...

4. If he trades Bozak for a 1st + 3rd and we miss the PO's... At least we gained quality picks in a good draft year AND gave Kadri a chance to succeed.
Totally agree! If we could get those picks would be awesome, plus we have colborne ready to step in next year or even this year.

Old
03-23-2013, 08:29 AM
doubledown99

I can't see Bozak returning a 1st in this upcoming draft. Wishful thinking on fans part.

Doesn't matter either way. Nonis isn't going to risk upsetting his best offensive player by trading his friend and center when the team is in the playoffs. Chemistry, optics, the message it sends all factor in here.

Old
03-23-2013, 08:34 AM
notdoneyet

if we dont dress both maclaren and orr in the playoffs
ten its more important that we have a player like Clowe on
out team.

Old
03-23-2013, 08:55 AM
Budsfan

This may be the reason, Armstrong has been scouting the Leafs.

steve simmons ‏@simmonssteve

Two scouts told me tonight that Jaroslav Halak was on the block, so I asked Doug Armstrong. His answer: "He's not going anywhere."

Sharks Want Substantial Package for Clowe

http://www.truehockey.com/articles/S...kage-for-Clowe

Quote:
Sources close to the Sharks tell me teams are calling asking about these players more than the Sharks dangling them out there. Even though Clowe has struggled it will take a lot to get him out of San Jose. Again we’re talking substantial packages.

Old
03-23-2013, 09:02 AM
Faltorvo

Quote:

Would you trade Finn to add another Bozak type UFA to this roster?

Would you trade Finn for a Mac type UFA right now?

Old
03-23-2013, 09:03 AM
Pi

Yeah..screw Clowe. A struggling PWF is the last thing we need.

PWF's usually decline on 29-32 anyways. I've never seen a guy fight, hit hard and put up points like Lucic did when they were 30+

Lindros might have if he didn't have concussion problems.

Old
03-23-2013, 09:19 AM
Drew311
Whitey Whackers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budsfan View Post
This may be the reason, Armstrong has been scouting the Leafs.

steve simmons ‏@simmonssteve

Two scouts told me tonight that Jaroslav Halak was on the block, so I asked Doug Armstrong. His answer: "He's not going anywhere."

Sharks Want Substantial Package for Clowe

http://www.truehockey.com/articles/S...kage-for-Clowe
I wouldn't expect a NHL General Manager to tell some media rat like Simmons anything.

"Yes actually, we've been trying to trade Halak for the past month, we're really not happy with him. By the way, what was your name again?"

Old
03-23-2013, 09:38 AM
Faltorvo

Quote:
Wait a minute, let me get this straight.

Your Worried that we might be a Bozak away from making the PO?

A) That tells me this team is far too fragile to be leaving picks/prospects on the table just for a squeak in PO spot.

You place value in Boz on one hand (po spot) and then completely disavow any value to losing him for no asset return. All of a sudden 2nd round picks are to be scoffed at? hrmmm Finn,Kuli

You want the players to get this valuable PO experience? Fine then move out the two unsigned UFAs and bring in guys that still have a future here in names like Colb,Asht,D'amigo.

Do i really have to list some of the home run steals found in the 2nd round over 8 years? Duncan Keith,, Louie Eriksson,Bergeron,Weber,Backes,Krejci,Stastny,Neil ,Lucic,Seabrook,Kuli,PK Subban,Simmonds,Schultz,Hamonic,O'Reilly,Booth,Dub insky,Howard,Pavelec,Hjarlm

That list is just 8 years worth of drafts and only a short list of players that have the WOW factor, thats an average of over 2 players per draft, it would take way to much time to list the other players, ones that are service players or turned into high valued prospects. Over the years

This is not the 60s/70s/80s any more.

Agents are getting the kids on nutrition and exercise training programs at much much earlier ages, the financial prize to make the NHL now is much much more of a carrot for these kids to chase down.

I'd gladly add extra 2nds for the trade off of Mac and boz being in this line up for this PO push. When they can be repped out with Colb,Asht,Con,Zig,D'amigo,Komi,Holz,Hamilton

Old
03-23-2013, 09:39 AM
FifthLine
Leaf Syndrome

tbh, it's obvious that Bozak, Liles and Macarthur aren't going to be traded unless it's an upgrade. I honestly don't even think guys like Connolly, Komi, Kostka or Holzer will be moved. Going into a playoff run, depth is much more important then a late pick in the draft which is what we'd get for them. What if after the deadline we get hit bad by the injury bug? Guys that can, and know how to play in the NHL like the ones listed above are all gone. We sold all our NHL depth.

Old
03-23-2013, 09:44 AM
Faltorvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by YunelYESco View Post
tbh, it's obvious that Bozak, Liles and Macarthur aren't going to be traded unless it's an upgrade. I honestly don't even think guys like Connolly, Komi, Kostka or Holzer will be moved. Going into a playoff run, depth is much more important then a late pick in the draft which is what we'd get for them. What if after the deadline we get hit bad by the injury bug? Guys that can, and know how to play in the NHL like the ones listed above are all gone. We sold all our NHL depth.
You really think Boz and Mac only bring back 'late" picks?

Old
03-23-2013, 09:59 AM
Ricky Bobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post
Yeah..screw Clowe. A struggling PWF is the last thing we need.

PWF's usually decline on 29-32 anyways. I've never seen a guy fight, hit hard and put up points like Lucic did when they were 30+

Lindros might have if he didn't have concussion problems.
Clowe does fight.

Their are power forwards who have done well into their 30s but they're definitely the exception and you're bang on that they age very early.

I'm fine with signing Clowe or Clarkson if we end up having the but wouldn't give either of them more then 2 years because they're both going to decline and most likely fast. Offering only 2 years means we won't get either.

So then I'd look at Morrow on a one year deal or Higgins on a short deal.

Old
03-23-2013, 10:00 AM
GordieHoweHatTrick

Everyone is talking about Clowe but how about Brenden Morrow? I've read articles that he's a prime candidate to be moved out of Dallas for futures if they slide the next few games. Derek Roy is another guy they want to move because he's going to be chasing the big bucks this off-season but I don't think he's a good fit at the TDD, maybe the off-season if we decide to let Bozak go and give Roy a contract instead.

Heck, if San Jose continues to slide the Maple Leafs should be after Dan Boyle too, who would improve our top-pairing and PP

Old
03-23-2013, 10:04 AM
Ricky Bobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordieHoweHatTrick View Post
Everyone is talking about Clowe but how about Brenden Morrow? I've read articles that he's a prime candidate to be moved out of Dallas for futures if they slide the next few games. Derek Roy is another guy they want to move because he's going to be chasing the big bucks this off-season but I don't think he's a good fit at the TDD, maybe the off-season if we decide to let Bozak go and give Roy a contract instead.

Heck, if San Jose continues to slide the Maple Leafs should be after Dan Boyle too, who would improve our top-pairing and PP
We shouldn't be trading for rentals. We aren't a contender yet whose trying to put the finishing touches on a long playoff run.

Weiss has got all the attention this year but I'd rather sign Roy this off-season.

Morrow would be a nice body addition on a one year deal.

Old
03-23-2013, 10:05 AM
19buds67
Rookie User

Reaching the playoffs would be great for this team experience etc. but probably just one round. I think you have to move bozak for sure and maybe Mac . Plus possibly liles Komi conn. but nonis will wait to trade after season is over, and let the guys on the marlies gain experience for a deep playoff run.

Old
03-23-2013, 10:17 AM
SpeakerForTheDead

How many playoff teams have traded away a pending UFA at the deadline? It doesn't happen.

Old
03-23-2013, 10:20 AM
Faltorvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19buds67 View Post
Reaching the playoffs would be great for this team experience etc. but probably just one round. I think you have to move bozak for sure and maybe Mac . Plus possibly liles Komi conn. but nonis will wait to trade after season is over, and let the guys on the marlies gain experience for a deep playoff run.
He won't get anyone to trade for Conn,Boz,Mac after the season is over, they are UFAs.

Old
03-23-2013, 10:20 AM
Faltorvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeakerForTheDead View Post
How many playoff teams have traded away a pending UFA at the deadline? It doesn't happen.
Actually it does happen, you just need to research it, i have.

Old
03-23-2013, 10:25 AM
goonx

Trade Komi/Connolly if anyone asks - Hamilton is a good leader.

IMO you can't trade Bozak unless he doesn't want to resign or Nonis "wont" resign him. You don't trade our best FO man + make-shift #1C just "because". However if a team is willing to "overpay" for him. He's moveable. Bring up Colborne or do another deal to bring in a stop-gap centre

MacA should be traded IMO if there's a fair return. He's not a building block and has a bit of value to him right now.

Closed Thread