Next games chant:

"we want play-offs" *clap* *clap* *clapclapclap*

allan5oh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 11:03 AM
Turbofan
The Full 60 Minutes

vCash: 844
Human beings need a way to express their displeasure. Booing? It's just making sound...it's harmless mostly, and helps us vent frustration. So it happens a little, it's not surprising.

Audiences have been doing it at performances forever; whether that be a sporting event, or some other form of live entertainment. People for the most part think of themselves as 'customers' and not 'supporters'. If they feel the product they are receiving is sub-par, some need to express it. Some stay quiet. Some don't.

If you're at a restaurant and receive a terrible item, or get terrible service, you can express it to your server or the manager. Here we have no such luxury of such personal communication; no polite way of saying, 'What I paid for is terrible, can you please do what you are being paid for?' So we release our frustration by booing. Do I appreciate my team? Am I thankful that I have them? Of course I do. Do I never want them to go away? Of course. I feel the same way about my girlfriend, or my friends, or my family members. Or a valued employee. But I sure should be allowed to tell them when they're completely pissing me off.

Who feels worse on a loss like this? Players or fans? Some believe that because the players already feel bad, so we should just be quiet and appreciate them. But the fans feel bad as well for what they came to see, what they booked their evening for, what they brought their family to. And it's exacerbated by a very real pocketbook hit. They should be allowed to express displeasure as long as it doesn't cross any lines.

By virtue of their profession and the outstanding compensation they receive, I don't think players should be sheltered from anything that doesn't qualify as threats, abuse, or hate crimes. Booing? Booing is nothing. Players are held accountable by their coach, and the media. They should also know that fans hold them accountable.

What did Noel say the other week? 'We should never be satisified.' So maybe it's not a bad thing that the players are getting it from three sides every now and then. Should we boo them whenever they make a bad play? Of course not, and that's not happening. But these last two games were absolutely flat and awful. Fans, like players, shouldn't become complacent.

Turbofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 11:03 AM
fatschoonerrat

vCash: 500
Funny that someone from the fan base that vocally boos the opposing team's best player over the entire game for no reason would criticize booing for a very good reason.

Also, on TV it sounded to me like the "Jets are brutal" chant was "Let's go Blue Jays".

fatschoonerrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 11:05 AM
Aries56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stej View Post
I can't boo the Jets no matter how frustrated I get. You know, with the history of the last incarnation leaving and all. I'm just not wired that way.

Just my opinion, but I think the booing implies a sense of entitlement and shows a lack of awareness that the league is made up of 29 other teams all trying to win hockey games as well.

How fans can go from the top of the world to edge of a cliff in 2 games blows my mind but I do agree that people pay money to be there and can do whatever they want.
This. Totally agree.

While I was disappointed with the booing, I was happy to see the fans still cheer them and get involved when they had some momentum in the third

Aries56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 11:19 AM
allan5oh
#moneypushups

vCash: 50
I don't think anyone is booing the results, but rather the lack of effort.

Old
03-23-2013, 11:23 AM
Mooche

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan5oh View Post
Very good point.

I personally wasn't booing last night, but I definitely understand the viewpoint of the people who did.

Last night was pitiful. It seriously looked like some guys didn't even want to be out there.

Mooche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 11:24 AM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan5oh View Post
It is almost 100% results.

The Jets controlled the play in the 1st and they were already getting boos.

Do you actually think they aren't trying to score on the powerplay?

Lack of effort is usually a storyline fabricated on the base of results.

truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 11:34 AM
Stej
Good Canadian Kid!

I'm all for accountability, but I agree with the coach on this one. The players feel bad enough all on their own after a loss like that. I'm sure they all went home literally hating themselves for how that turned out. They don't need to be reminded by every Joe Blow at the MTSC that they also have the pressure of an entire city on their shoulders (even if it is true). Part of the reason that the Leafs have struggled so badly for so long is due to the pressure-cooker that they are playing in. Let's not create that kind of atmosphere here too. It's a deterrent to free agents (like we need any more of those) and it's counter-productive.

My opinion is you cheer when they do good things and don't cheer when they don't. Again, that's just my opinion and how I choose to operate as a season ticket holder. If you are spending your own money to be there as well, then I suppose you get to do whatever you want as well.

Stej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 11:36 AM
allan5oh
#moneypushups

vCash: 50
We certainly would not boo a 5-0 blowout where the other team had lots of lucky bounces, off skates/*****, etc..

We would boo a 2-1 or 3-1 loss where our team looked completely uninterested. Giving up on pucks, not forechecking properly, too much individual effort and not team effort etc..

The above game happened last year against Florida, in November some time, and I certainly remember booing the effort.

Old
03-23-2013, 11:37 AM
Savagestevo

Imagine someone paying several hundred dollars last night at the game and got treated to THAT. I think they'd be perfectly justified in booing.

The only thing I thought made no sense was that they were still songing Holtby, it makes no sense, the dude shut out the Jets for 8 and a half periods and they only scored on him the one time due to sheer luck.

Savagestevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 11:38 AM
SCP Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandChelems View Post
With all due respect, this is why we get booing at games now. Fans have this idea that when they walk into the arena it's all about them and them alone. They care more about the $9 beer than having an NHL team in this city for 7 months of the year, and expect the team to be their support rather than being the 7th man. They say stupid crap all game and make sure that everyone around them hears it, and generally ruin the experience for those that appreciate it for what it is.

I guess that even though we all get older, some of us still throw our toys out of the pram and have temper tantrums when things don't go our way.

PS. We were 3rd in the East yesterday. I'm not booing. Bring on TBay.
That is a pretty silly statement IMO

These are professional athletes folks not 12 year old hockey players

Last edited by SCP Guy: 03-23-2013 at 11:51 AM.
SCP Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 12:08 PM
Turbofan
The Full 60 Minutes

Quote:
I'm all for accountability, but I agree with the coach on this one. The players feel bad enough all on their own after a loss like that. I'm sure they all went home literally hating themselves for how that turned out. They don't need to be reminded by every Joe Blow at the MTSC that they also have the pressure of an entire city on their shoulders (even if it is true). Part of the reason that the Leafs have struggled so badly for so long is due to the pressure-cooker that they are playing in. Let's not create that kind of atmosphere here too. It's a deterrent to free agents (like we need any more of those) and it's counter-productive.

My opinion is you cheer when they do good things and don't cheer when they don't. Again, that's just my opinion and how I choose to operate as a season ticket holder. If you are spending your own money to be there as well, then I suppose you get to do whatever you want as well.
Sure. You choose not to boo and that's cool. Like you said though, the rest can do what you want.

I know the term 'entitlement' gets thrown around a lot. But if anything, paying customers are entitled to boo at any live-entertainment event which involves paid professionals. Booing is vocally expressing displeasure in a non-violent, and generally non-abusive, non-personal way. It does not cross any lines. Generally harmless, and we are entitled to do it, if we so choose. If you don't want to, don't. It doesn't make us awful, spoiled or vindictive human beings if we do. It just makes us unsatisfied customers who need to express it.

Yes, I said it...we are entitled to something.

Old
03-23-2013, 12:16 PM
Hawker14

I wouldn't boo them, but "Go Jets Go" definitely wasn't firing them up the past two games.

Hawker14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 12:18 PM
Stej
Good Canadian Kid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wings View Post
Sure. You choose not to boo and that's cool. Like you said though, the rest can do what you want.

I know the term 'entitlement' gets thrown around a lot. But if anything, paying customers are entitled to boo at any live-entertainment event which involves paid professionals. Booing is vocally expressing displeasure in a non-violent, and generally non-abusive, non-personal way. It does not cross any lines. Generally harmless, and we are entitled to do it, if we so choose. If you don't want to, don't. It doesn't make us awful, spoiled or vindictive human beings if we do. It just makes us unsatisfied customers who need to express it.

Yes, I said it...we are entitled to something.
But it does do something harmful, and this is the only reason I care at all - it makes the MTS Centre a harder place to play FOR THE HOME TEAM. Also, if we turn into an extremely fickle crowd like they have in Toronto, it makes this city less attractive to free agents (in my opinion).

So yeah, you have the right to feel entitled to a great game every time you step into that arena (which is of course extremely unrealistic and unfair) and I have the right to wish you wouldn't boo.

Open question to anyone (not aimed directly at you Wings): In your heart, do you really, honestly believe that the players aren't trying to win every game?

Old
03-23-2013, 12:37 PM
Turbofan
The Full 60 Minutes

Quote:
But it does do something harmful, and this is the only reason I care at all - it makes the MTS Centre a harder place to play FOR THE HOME TEAM. Also, if we turn into an extremely fickle crowd like they have in Toronto, it makes this city less attractive to free agents (in my opinion).

So yeah, you have the right to feel entitled to a great game every time you step into that arena (which is of course extremely unrealistic and unfair) and I have the right to wish you wouldn't boo.

Open question to anyone (not aimed directly at you Wings): In your heart, do you really, honestly believe that the players aren't trying to win every game?
I believe every player would like to win every game. The desire is always there. Whether the effort is there, is another. Like any profession, sometimes you have days where you haven't put in 100%. Anyone who has said they've put in their best effort every day on the job, I'd say is probably lying.

Old
03-23-2013, 12:45 PM
SCP Guy

What if we whistle instead of boo like soccer fans in Europe???

SCP Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 12:46 PM
Stej
Good Canadian Kid!

I'll say this, the booing-the-home-team thing is certainly a very interesting social and psychological discussion.

Old
03-23-2013, 12:53 PM
Xray4Caps

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokerD View Post
The last two nights were atrocious! Anyone at the games would have to agree that those were two of the worst games the Jet's 2.0 have played to date. I spent a g-note on these crap games! I was booing like a mad man after tonight's performance. The ending of the game really pissed me off.... Montoya gets his head ripped off and nobody does anything???? Postma turns away, Meech could care less, and our resident tough guy Thorbs spent most of the time hunched over Montoya!!! Geeze, could you imagine if that were Tuukka Rask?? Unfu@*ing believable!
Meech shoved Beagle into Motntoya ...just sayin

Xray4Caps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 12:55 PM
Back in the Bigs
and lovin' it !!

Quote:
I'll say this, the booing-the-home-team thing is certainly a very interesting social and psychological discussion.
that, and whether you can wear blue jerseys to playoff games

Back in the Bigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 12:55 PM
veganhunter
Mexico City Coyotes!

vCash: 891
Quote:
Originally Posted by sipowicz View Post
Hey Little, when I was a younger man I worked a 6 day a week job with 10 hour shifts your playing a sport where you can retire at 35 and never have to even look for a job suck it up buttercup.
I agree no one should feel sorry for these guys but there is a finite amount of abuse the human body can take.

veganhunter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 12:56 PM
Aries56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xray4Caps View Post
Meech shoved Beagle into Motntoya ...just sayin
When you're up by 5 and it's towards the end of the third, is it really the right time to charge the net? He didn't leave a lot of room to maneuver.

Aries56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 01:22 PM
HannuJ

vCash: 148
booing was justified. team looked horrible. you know the expression "if not for lack of trying..."? didn't apply over the last 2 games.

if the players had any self respect, they'd acknowledge that the boos were well deserved and attempt to not embarrass themselves in their home arena. and having a below .500 record is embarrassing.

HannuJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 01:38 PM
Damascus

I am like most others here, I didn't boo last night but I understand why and think that it's justified. What bothers me the most is the team high from the meh win over Boston. Ladd says "we can make the playoffs this year, we control our destiny" , and i remember him saying something like that in December last year. Apparently controlling your destiny is playing like heartless losers. Again, I don't have high expectations of this team and I don't have a problem with losing, but that was some of the most emotionless, effortless and terrible hockey I've ever seen.. and I was an Oilers fan! Jets, just show some passion and the fans won't boo you.

Damascus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 01:46 PM
mking3

If ones attitude is "I will cheer for them when they play well and boo them when they play poorly" That's a fair-weather fan.

mking3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 01:47 PM
Fuelled by Passion

I personally think that good portion of booing was addressed to our coaching staff. People pay $ for an entertainment and seeing your coach done absolutely nothing to adjust to a team that is awful on a road shouldn't be considered as one . Scoring only 1 goal in 9 periods (and even the goal was a deflection of caps D) is a good reason to boo IMO.
We are unable to score against Caps or Senators and this is coaching personnel's job to find the way, unless someone can prove that we somehow cursed "to lose" to teams based in capital cities

Fuelled by Passion is offline   Reply With Quote