HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jeff Halpern (Claimed by Montreal)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-23-2013, 12:26 PM
  #451
Killem Dafoe
Moderator
k.
 
Killem Dafoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Land of Bad Drivers
Country: United States
Posts: 16,242
vCash: 50
Montreal..figures...

Killem Dafoe is online now  
Old
03-23-2013, 12:28 PM
  #452
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm
 
Clowes Line's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New Yawk
Country: United States
Posts: 12,544
vCash: 500
Are you ****ing kidding me?

Clowes Line is offline  
Old
03-23-2013, 12:31 PM
  #453
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.
 
BrooklynRangersFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Brooklyn of course
Country: United States
Posts: 10,564
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callys Chicken Parm View Post
Are you ****ing kidding me?
What do you mean? We figured they waived him because they wanted to clear the contract. And while it would've been nicer to trade him and get a pick in return, the fact that it was Montreal, sitting in one of the last spots in priority, that claimed him means that there was not enough interest to garner anything in exchange.

Unless you thought they were legitimately trying to hang on to his rights and send him down to the minors, what's there to complain about?

BrooklynRangersFan is online now  
Old
03-23-2013, 12:34 PM
  #454
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm
 
Clowes Line's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New Yawk
Country: United States
Posts: 12,544
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
What do you mean? We figured they waived him because they wanted to clear the contract. And while it would've been nicer to trade him and get a pick in return, the fact that it was Montreal, sitting in one of the last spots in priority, that claimed him means that there was not enough interest to garner anything in exchange.

Unless you thought they were legitimately trying to hang on to his rights and send him down to the minors, what's there to complain about?
I'm complaining because I saw no reason for him to be waived. I really liked him. While he has no goals, he's been great on the 4th line and the penalty kill, no one can argue that. He was also the only ****ing player on this team who could win a face-off

It's not the end of the world, but jeez this team needs to turn it around. Our bottom six is now even more putrid than it was to begin with. Not good.

Clowes Line is offline  
Old
03-23-2013, 12:43 PM
  #455
Tawnos
A guy with a bass
 
Tawnos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Charlotte, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 12,205
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callys Chicken Parm View Post
I'm complaining because I saw no reason for him to be waived. I really liked him. While he has no goals, he's been great on the 4th line and the penalty kill, no one can argue that. He was also the only ****ing player on this team who could win a face-off

It's not the end of the world, but jeez this team needs to turn it around. Our bottom six is now even more putrid than it was to begin with. Not good.
Great? Hardly. He's been adequate.

Also, being good on faceoffs is only a great asset if you're going to be used on important draws. Halpern wasn't being utilized that way.

I was fine with him playing on the 4th line. No big deal. But I'm not going to miss him terribly either.

Tawnos is offline  
Old
03-23-2013, 12:50 PM
  #456
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm
 
Clowes Line's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New Yawk
Country: United States
Posts: 12,544
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
Great? Hardly. He's been adequate.

Also, being good on faceoffs is only a great asset if you're going to be used on important draws. Halpern wasn't being utilized that way.

I was fine with him playing on the 4th line. No big deal. But I'm not going to miss him terribly either.
All I know is this team just got worse, because they have no one ready to replace Halpern. And now Miller is hurt. Unless a deal with MZA is in place, and they plan on bringing over Fasth and/or Lindberg. Who knows.

Clowes Line is offline  
Old
03-23-2013, 12:51 PM
  #457
Tawnos
A guy with a bass
 
Tawnos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Charlotte, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 12,205
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callys Chicken Parm View Post
All I know is this team just got worse, because they have no one ready to replace Halpern. And now Miller is hurt. Unless a deal with MZA is in place, and they plan on bringing over Fasth and/or Lindberg. Who knows.
Jumping the gun on Miller, but maybe. I don't see Newbury as being a huge downgrade.

Tawnos is offline  
Old
03-23-2013, 12:55 PM
  #458
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm
 
Clowes Line's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New Yawk
Country: United States
Posts: 12,544
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
Jumping the gun on Miller, but maybe. I don't see Newbury as being a huge downgrade.
PLEASE NO.

He is useless in the NHL. All he ever does when he's in the line-up for the Rangers is fight and take stupid penalties.

Clowes Line is offline  
Old
03-23-2013, 12:56 PM
  #459
Pugs35
Registered User
 
Pugs35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: PA
Posts: 1,054
vCash: 500
I'm not going to get real worked up about this, but I liked him this year. I mean really, he has one less goal than Boyle, is about as good defensively and on the PK, and I think he's better on faceoffs.

Pugs35 is offline  
Old
03-23-2013, 12:56 PM
  #460
schabadoo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,192
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grind Jam Grind View Post
And we couldn't get a low round pick from Montreal?
Almost the entire league passed on him for free. What's that tell you of his value?

schabadoo is offline  
Old
03-23-2013, 12:57 PM
  #461
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,989
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by schabadoo View Post
Almost the entire league passed on him for free. What's that tell you of his value?
That only contenders want to pay for that depth at center?

NYR Viper is offline  
Old
03-23-2013, 12:58 PM
  #462
GarretJoseph*
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 7,604
vCash: 500
Never warmed to him. Wasn't around long enough.

GarretJoseph* is offline  
Old
03-23-2013, 12:58 PM
  #463
The Perfect Paradox
Beyond Good and Evil
 
The Perfect Paradox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 6,543
vCash: 500
I'm still scratching my head over this move. Not having him on the roster isn't going to make a huge difference, but he always did the little things right. It sucks that a player like that has to get waived and feel inadequate.

Best of luck to Halpern in Montreal, though.

The Perfect Paradox is offline  
Old
03-23-2013, 12:59 PM
  #464
BBKers
Registered User
 
BBKers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: South Koster, Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 5,826
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
This surely was clearing a roster spot
But for what?
Fast?
Zuccarello?
Trade?
All three perhaps...

BBKers is offline  
Old
03-23-2013, 01:01 PM
  #465
crisb
Registered User
 
crisb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 942
vCash: 500
I thought he played solid for us. Even though he wasn't scoring, he still was one of our better bottom 6 forwards.

crisb is offline  
Old
03-23-2013, 01:04 PM
  #466
schabadoo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,192
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
That only contenders want to pay for that depth at center?
And yet 12 playoff teams past on him....

schabadoo is offline  
Old
03-23-2013, 01:05 PM
  #467
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato
 
HatTrick Swayze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 9,583
vCash: 500
Really don't understand this, frankly.

Maybe there were personal issues?

__________________
"Here we can see the agression of american people. They love fighting and guns. when they wont win they try to kill us all." -HalfOfFame
HatTrick Swayze is offline  
Old
03-23-2013, 01:09 PM
  #468
Killem Dafoe
Moderator
k.
 
Killem Dafoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Land of Bad Drivers
Country: United States
Posts: 16,242
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBKers View Post
This surely was clearing a roster spot
But for what?
Fast?
Zuccarello?
Trade?
All three perhaps...
Possibly a trade is in the works for a couple of pieces. My personal opinion is thinking a Zuccarello sighting here shortly.

Killem Dafoe is online now  
Old
03-23-2013, 01:10 PM
  #469
JeffMangum
~anger~
 
JeffMangum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Listening to music
Country: United States
Posts: 58,086
vCash: 50
Hoping for a trade or Fasth.

If not, this is a really, really stupid move.

__________________
Soon.
JeffMangum is offline  
Old
03-23-2013, 01:10 PM
  #470
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash
 
BlueshirtBlitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 19,072
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HatTrick Swayze View Post
Really don't understand this, frankly.

Maybe there were personal issues?
This is what it boils down to.

It's not a HUGE loss, and the people trying to defend the move as if we're treating it like it's some big deal are out to lunch.

But it makes no sense. None at all. There was no reason to waive this dude and lose him, to a team better than us.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline  
Old
03-23-2013, 01:14 PM
  #471
SERE 24
LGR
 
SERE 24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 9,905
vCash: 500
I would have waived many people BEFORE Halpern, for the simple fact that Halpern is a veteran, wins faceoffs, is on a cheap, expiring contract and has been pretty serviceable in his role, for his price. Most of all, center depth is useful.

We waived Bickel 24 hours later. Why not waive Bickel FIRST? Bickel is a lot less useful than Halpern. Why not waive Asham? Sure, he could be useful, but he also hasn't played at all this year, really, so it wouldn't be a loss. Why not waive Hamrlik again? Torts doesn't seem to love him and we have Eminger and Gilroy who are equally marginal. I just don't get why we would waive a faceoff winning guy who PKs well FIRST, unless it was a personal issue or a bad fit in the room.

SERE 24 is online now  
Old
03-23-2013, 01:17 PM
  #472
One Man Rock Band
T-Ross!!
 
One Man Rock Band's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Habville
Country: Canada
Posts: 46,158
vCash: 500
Does this complete the McDonagh trade?

Nah, but seriously.. read all the posts here.. glad to hear we are getting a solid contributor in MTL. We have no one that can win faceoffs, so Halpern is going to be a huge plus in that regard.

One Man Rock Band is offline  
Old
03-23-2013, 01:18 PM
  #473
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul
 
NYR Sting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 9,506
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeCB View Post
Does this complete the McDonagh trade?

Nah, but seriously.. read all the posts here.. glad to hear we are getting a solid contributor in MTL. We have no one that can win faceoffs, so Halpern is going to be a huge plus in that regard.
Terrific. That's exactly what the Rangers should be looking to do: shore up weaknesses for potential playoff opponents, and allow those teams do so for free.

NYR Sting is offline  
Old
03-23-2013, 01:21 PM
  #474
Lundsanity30
Registered User
 
Lundsanity30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 10,748
vCash: 500
He has playes better than boyle

Lundsanity30 is offline  
Old
03-23-2013, 01:24 PM
  #475
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash
 
BlueshirtBlitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 19,072
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Sting View Post
Terrific. That's exactly what the Rangers should be looking to do: shore up weaknesses for potential playoff opponents, and allow those teams do so for free.
Maybe part of the unreported details of the Nash deal was that we'd promise to try and get CBJ the best pick we possibly could?

BlueshirtBlitz is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:00 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.