Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL

*OFFICIAL* Plymouth Whalers 2012-2013 Season Thread

Closed Thread

Old
03-17-2013, 03:37 PM
Whalers Fan
Go Habs!

vCash: 500
Yes, it's always tough when we miss a game, but this absence wasn't to be avoided. I think we ended up missing six games this season. No unused tickets, though, thanks to the Whalers "no ticket gets unused" program for season tickets.

Congrats to Vince Trocheck. His 3 assists today against Windsor ties him with Sarault in points. Trocheck wins the scoring title due to more goals scored. He is the first Whaler to win an OHL scoring title, according to Pete Krupsky.

Old
03-17-2013, 04:21 PM
WhalerBlue

He won it outright. 109 for Trocheck and 108 for Sarrault. Unless Cousins can do 8 points tonight, it is Trochecks. Can't wait for Friday. Pretty pumped up about this team.

Old
03-17-2013, 04:41 PM
Whalers Fan
Go Habs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhalerBlue View Post
He won it outright. 109 for Trocheck and 108 for Sarrault. Unless Cousins can do 8 points tonight, it is Trochecks. Can't wait for Friday. Pretty pumped up about this team.
I was just going by what was said on the radio. Thanks for the correction. Good for Vince!

I'm really looking forward to this weekend, too. Home playoff games on back to back nights. It doesn't get any better than that!

Old
03-18-2013, 08:56 PM
Cfriss216

I'll be attending game 1 on Friday...so pumped! My thoughts on this first series

I think the Whalers take this series in 5, I honestly can see Sarnia taking one of the first two games in Plymouth. Plymouth will keep on rolling line after line against the sting and it will just be to much. Heck, if you look at some of the other boards and other predictions you would think Plymouth will outscore them by 7 goals a game.

Sting can bring it though, Boucher and Sarault will get their chances to score. They actually remind me of the Guelph storm teams the last two years, they were the 7th seed but had some good players on their team that could put the puck in the back of the net against anyone in the league (remember the line of Latta, Taylor Beck, and Peter Holland in 2011?). Just didn't have the depth to win more than two games.

Will be a good test for Ned in net, be interesting to see what he can do in his first playoff series. No matter what though, the Whalers will outscore the Sting heavily in this series. Here's to a long playoff run

Old
03-18-2013, 09:11 PM
WhalerBlue

Sarnia will have their hands full. If they don't bring their best for 60 minutes every game of this series, they won't win one game. Not saying Sarnia won't win a game, just saying that they have to be their best every shift. Plymouth' keys-stay out of the box. Sarnia' keys-stay out of the box. You will get a good idea of how this series will go by the middle of the 2nd period. I think Plymouth has too much firepower in the lineup for Sarnia to try to match lines with any amount of success.

Old
03-19-2013, 07:14 AM
Whalers Fan
Go Habs!

I do not want to sound overconfident, but it is difficult to envision Plymouth losing this series. The Whalers match up very well against Sarnia and have played them very tough all season. Their depth on offense should be enough to overpower the Sting. Sarnia's goalie is good enough to steal a game, and Sarault & Boucher give them some offensive threats, but I do not see the series going more than 5 games.

For this series, I will be paying close attention to how Plymouth's defense and goaltending perform. These will be keys for success in the next round and beyond.

Old
03-19-2013, 09:04 AM
Cfriss216

I don't think you have to worry about sounding overconfident in this series, haha. If this series goes 6 or 7 games it's Plymouth's fault. There is no need for it to go more than 6. I have it at 5.

Old
03-19-2013, 09:17 AM
Whalers Fan
Go Habs!

Quote:
Plymouth' keys-stay out of the box.
Well, we know that is not going to happen!

Old
03-19-2013, 09:47 AM
WhalerBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalers Fan View Post
Well, we know that is not going to happen!
They have done better in the 2nd half. You just can't take undisciplined penalties 190 feet from your goalie. If you are going to take them, make sure it is to prevent a scoring chance and not retaliation or something stupid. No reason to give anybody an extra chance to score and wear yourselves out on the PK. I guess I should have said limit the penalties

Old
03-20-2013, 12:10 PM
Whalers Fan
Go Habs!

Matt Mahalak was named CHL Goaltender of the Week for his back to back shutout performance last week. He is the 2nd Whaler to win the award in three weeks. It's nice to see Matt bounce back from a very rough February. I still hope that Nedeljkovic is in net on Friday, though.

Vince Trocheck was named OHL Player of the Week, as well. It's his 2nd time winning the award this season, and the third time a Whaler has won the award -- Rickard Rakell won it once.

Old
03-20-2013, 03:57 PM
Cfriss216

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/junio...eep/#community

Thought this was an interesting article going into the playoffs. King always makes some good points in analyzing the CHL, but I gotta believe the whalers are the team to beat. Clearly have been the better team the second half and going into the playoffs. But like I said, he makes a pretty good argument.

Your thoughts? Not to sure about Brampton being the dark horse. I would say Guelph is the biggest dark horse imo.

Old
03-20-2013, 07:24 PM
WhalerBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cfriss216 View Post

Thought this was an interesting article going into the playoffs. King always makes some good points in analyzing the CHL, but I gotta believe the whalers are the team to beat. Clearly have been the better team the second half and going into the playoffs. But like I said, he makes a pretty good argument.

Your thoughts? Not to sure about Brampton being the dark horse. I would say Guelph is the biggest dark horse imo.
My thoughts are that London will not roll over the Spirit. Even if it goes 4 games, London will have been against it. I can't tell you why this regular season series played out the way it did, but I can tell you that it should be interesting. I expect Saginaw to play BIG against these so called favorites. There is some bad blood that has been boiling between these teams this year. Whoever survives this 1st round will not do it without a cost to be paid. Don't look for a sweep either way. This thing is staged for 6 or 7 games.

Guelph is a dark horse, but over gunned in the West. Same for Brampton in the East. Long shots at best. I would have more money on Belleville and Owen Sound. Defensively and Goaltending wise, they seem to be the best. But again, this is the playoffs, anything can and does happen every year.

Old
03-20-2013, 07:49 PM
Whalers Fan
Go Habs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cfriss216 View Post

Seems to me he makes Brampton a dark horse just because they are relocating. I really do not think that will matter once the puck is dropped.

I think the West is going to be a real battle, and any of the top six teams has a chance to get out of the conference. I agree with WhalerBlue that Saginaw will give London some fits, but I think the Knights have too much talent to get knocked out by them in a 7 game series.

After last season's disappointment, I am just going to take the Whalers playoff games one at a time this year, although I do not see Sarnia beating them. After that, though, anything can happen -- good or bad.

Old
03-22-2013, 11:21 PM
WhalerBlue

11-2 Whalers win game 1. This game was over in the first 2 minutes. Plymouth dominated from the opening face off. Big clean hits and controlled the offensive zone. Let in 2 goals, 1 on a 5 on 4
PK and the other on a 5 on 3 PK. The officials called some pretty weak calls against Plymouth after they were up by 4 goals. Ned played well in net. Trocheck big again tonight, 3g 2a for 5 pts. If Sarnia doesn't show some push back tomorrow, this will only go 4 games.

Old
03-23-2013, 01:46 AM
hockeyisforeveryone

vCash: 420
Quote:
11-2 Whalers win game 1. This game was over in the first 2 minutes. Plymouth dominated from the opening face off. Big clean hits and controlled the offensive zone. Let in 2 goals, 1 on a 5 on 4
PK and the other on a 5 on 3 PK. The officials called some pretty weak calls against Plymouth after they were up by 4 goals. Ned played well in net. Trocheck big again tonight, 3g 2a for 5 pts. If Sarnia doesn't show some push back tomorrow, this will only go 4 games.
What a frigging blowout! But I stayed until the last buzzer, didn't want to miss a single moment. Plymouth was toying with them in the 2nd period, trying funny things and almost slowing the game up to work on plays.

It isn't ever good to have such an ill-matched opponent, other than winning clean and get the heck out. Hartman had toooo many penalties and we got a little too cute at times when there was a clear shot at the net. The Whalers need to stay disciplined, get this series over with quickly and hope we don't form any bad habits or over-confidence.

Anyways what a team...Curcurutu, Heard, Uvira, Wilson, Rakell, Meurs, Mistele, Lorentz, yes even Levi, etc. etc. etc. each player stands out and shines as they succeed. There is no doubt they win this series and I'm excited to get real and face some more formidable opposition.

On to game 2 tonight!

Old
03-23-2013, 06:52 AM
Whalers Fan
Go Habs!

Quote:
This was the key to the blowout, as it set the tone right from the beginning. The Whalers were relentless on the forecheck, and just overwhelmed the Sting defense. I am surprised that the shots on goal total were that close through 2 periods (31-22), as Plymouth was completely dominating the play.

Tonight's game will tell us whether this series will go more than four games. If Sarnia does not play better on defense, they have no chance. The Sting just do not match up well against the Whalers, and have only one dangerous line -- versus Plymouth's three. Vellucci matched up Rakell, Noesen and Uvira against the Boucher - Sarault line, and they shut it down completely in even strength situations.

For tonight, the goal needs to be keeping Hartman out of the penalty box. He was back to his early season form, taking too many penalties. Both Sarnia goals were scored while he was in the box.

Old
03-23-2013, 07:31 AM
PetesFan94

I seen that Meurs was signed yesterday I thought he was likely to come back as an OA but it looks like he will play pro now. Who are your guys 93's who will be returning to the O?

Old
03-23-2013, 08:16 AM
Whalers Fan
Go Habs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetesFan94 View Post
I seen that Meurs was signed yesterday I thought he was likely to come back as an OA but it looks like he will play pro now. Who are your guys 93's who will be returning to the O?
Meurs was never a likely candidate to be an OA for the start of next season. He seemed destined to start in the AHL all along. He could end up being sent back during the season, though (like Levi and Heard this season), depending on how much he plays in the AHL.

Our most likely OA candidates are Malysa, Lorentz and Whaley, with long shots being Crombeen (too many injuries), Uvira (import) and Mahalak (only because he's a Carolina draft pick and is not ready for the AHL).

Noesen, Rakell, and Trocheck are also '93's, but they will all be moving on.

Old
03-23-2013, 10:38 AM
BoxerMax

Year after year, it baffles me that it is not a sell out every game in Plymouth. $12 a ticket and just over half full. WHAT A JOKE. Best team in the league year after year and you can't even come close to a sell out. It would be scary the energy Plymouth would have if they had a full crowd every night.

Old
03-23-2013, 12:06 PM
Whalers Fan
Go Habs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxerMax View Post
Year after year, it baffles me that it is not a sell out every game in Plymouth. $12 a ticket and just over half full. WHAT A JOKE. Best team in the league year after year and you can't even come close to a sell out. It would be scary the energy Plymouth would have if they had a full crowd every night.
There are just too many other things competing for sports entertainment dollars and time in the area. There are teams in all four major pro sports, plus two major colleges with big time football, basketball and hockey programs. Also, in the autumn, high school football is a competitor.

It is too bad, though, as it is tough to beat the entertainment value the team offers at the price. It doesn't cost much more than going out to the movies. The team does have some very loyal fans, but there just are not a lot of us.

Old
03-23-2013, 12:18 PM
SimonKnightsman

Quote:
My thoughts are that London will not roll over the Spirit. Even if it goes 4 games, London will have been against it. I can't tell you why this regular season series played out the way it did, but I can tell you that it should be interesting. I expect Saginaw to play BIG against these so called favorites. There is some bad blood that has been boiling between these teams this year. Whoever survives this 1st round will not do it without a cost to be paid. Don't look for a sweep either way. This thing is staged for 6 or 7 games.
Can you tweet the Spirit and ask then to show up Sunday ....cuz last night London barely broke a sweat.

Old
03-23-2013, 12:23 PM
SimonKnightsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalers Fan View Post
There are just too many other things competing for sports entertainment dollars and time in the area. There are teams in all four major pro sports, plus two major colleges with big time football, basketball and hockey programs. Also, in the autumn, high school football is a competitor.

It is too bad, though, as it is tough to beat the entertainment value the team offers at the price. It doesn't cost much more than going out to the movies. The team does have some very loyal fans, but there just are not a lot of us.
What are they competing with in March......NFL,MLB are idle and the Wings regional .

Old
03-23-2013, 01:37 PM
Whalers Fan
Go Habs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonKnightsman View Post
What are they competing with in March......NFL,MLB are idle and the Wings regional .
Still have the Red Wings, UM & MSU college basketball and hockey, the NBA, and MLB spring training. People also need to budget their money and time, and the Whalers just are not going to be a priority for most people in the area. In fact, I'll bet a large portion of the public doesn't even know about the team. There are just too many major sporting teams in the area to take the focus away from them. If you look in the sports section of the Sunday Detroit News, the team will only get a tiny paragraph mentioning the previous night's game, along with other things such as U of M wrestling results (as an example).

This area isn't like London, where the Knights are the biggest sports draw in town.

Old
03-23-2013, 01:39 PM
JL17

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonKnightsman View Post
March Madness is in Auburn Hills I believe and Michigan is still in it.

Old
03-23-2013, 01:59 PM
nelli27
Danny Gallivan

Plymouth has a great team--I keep hearing announcers referring to their lines as 1a, 1b, and 1c.
One announcer even said that Plymouth has 3 "AHL lines".

Whalers will win this opening series in 3 games over 'Pollen town', yes, that's right 3! Isn't there a mercy rule in the OHL?

I'd pick the Chicago Cubs to win the World Series before picking Sarnia to win a division title. Perennial losers even when they have some of the best forwards...Stamkos, Yakupov, Galychenyk, Boucher...

It looks as though Mahalak will be watching this series from the bench. Has Ned assumed the starting spot or can we expect a rotation?

Closed Thread