HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

History of Relocated Teams

Old
03-22-2013, 08:50 PM
cam042686

vCash: 500
History of Relocated Teams

When teams relocate (ie; Minnesota to Dallas, Quebec to Denver, etc) how do they tend to treat their past history? For example does Dallas honor Bill Masterton's and Bill Goldworthy's retired numbers? Does Carolina do the same for Rick Ley's? Also in their media how do they deal with history?

Craig Wallace

cam042686 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 09:01 PM
BamBamCam*

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam042686 View Post
When teams relocate (ie; Minnesota to Dallas, Quebec to Denver, etc) how do they tend to treat their past history? For example does Dallas honor Bill Masterton's and Bill Goldworthy's retired numbers? Does Carolina do the same for Rick Ley's? Also in their media how do they deal with history?

Craig Wallace
It's team by team basis.

The Avs took on a new identity. In other words, the retired numbers of Trembley Goulet and Statsny went back into circulation. Only Av players are represented in Colorado now except for a certain someone that has no business being retired in Colorado.

The Canes kept Gordie Howe retired, and I don't think the Whale ever retired anyone else.

Dallas kept Broten, Gadsby and Masterson retired they are the only Stars or North Stars retired.

There were never any Colorado Rockies or KC Scouts retired that I know of, so New Jersey just has their own players retired.

Ottawa retired Frank Finnagan in 1992 from the old days

The Jets didn't retire anyone.

-------------

I think I covered everything but my memory sucks.

BamBamCam* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 12:07 PM
Hammer Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam042686 View Post

Craig Wallace
I know I've seen Bobby Hull's #9 hanging from the rafters at Jobing.com, a case of the NHL Coyotes honouring the WHA Jets.

Hammer Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 12:12 PM
BamBamCam*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meteor View Post
I know I've seen Bobby Hull's #9 hanging from the rafters at Jobing.com, a case of the NHL Coyotes honouring the WHA Jets.
Good call, I missed Hull and I missed Steen who is also retired by the Jets. I do think those numbers need to be moved back to Winnipeg though. They do not belong down there now that the Jets are back.

Old
03-23-2013, 12:14 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

vCash: 562
Whalers retired #2 Rick Ley, #9 Gordie Howe, and #19 John "Pie" McKenzie.

#9 stayed retired. #2 went back into circulation and was recently retired (Glen Wesley). Jiri Tlusty currently wears #19

#5 (Samuelsson), #10 (Francis), and #11 (Dineen) were all retired by Hartford sometime in the last decade, Francis's #10 was likewise retired by the Canes organization and IIRC the Canes retirement came first.

DaveG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 01:34 PM
BamBamCam*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
Whalers retired #2 Rick Ley, #9 Gordie Howe, and #19 John "Pie" McKenzie.

#9 stayed retired. #2 went back into circulation and was recently retired (Glen Wesley). Jiri Tlusty currently wears #19

#5 (Samuelsson), #10 (Francis), and #11 (Dineen) were all retired by Hartford sometime in the last decade, Francis's #10 was likewise retired by the Canes organization and IIRC the Canes retirement came first.

You got a couple things wrong here: Ley and Johnnie Pie's numbers (2 and 19) were returned into action,they did not follow the move to Carolina. Not even Gordie Howe's number followed the move down south but they kept it "unofficially" retired.

Samuelsson, Francis and Dineen being retired by Hartford is silly, it was done after the fact and in 2006. I am not even sure the Mall is still there.

On a side note Johnie Pie didn't play for the Hartford Whalers, the whole thing was staged to garner in Boston Bruins fans when the Whale went from the WHA to the NHL.

Old
03-23-2013, 01:55 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

vCash: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamBamCam View Post
You got a couple things wrong here: Ley and Johnnie Pie's numbers (2 and 19) were returned into action,they did not follow the move to Carolina. Not even Gordie Howe's number followed the move down south but they kept it "unofficially" retired.

Samuelsson, Francis and Dineen being retired by Hartford is silly, it was done after the fact and in 2006. I am not even sure the Mall is still there.

On a side note Johnie Pie didn't play for the Hartford Whalers, the whole thing was staged to garner in Boston Bruins fans when the Whale went from the WHA to the NHL.
Yeah mentioned those in paragraph 2, though pretty glad that Wesley took #2 and that it has since been re-retired.

On the Pie McKenzie front, WAY before my time as a fan. But even in his 3 years in the WHA for the Whale there just doesn't look like anything that stands out as being even marginally retirement worthy. So I'm not surprised to hear it was a way of trying to attract local Bruins fans to the franchise.

DaveG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 02:16 PM
patnyrnyg

Quote:

The Mall is still there, at the time the Hartford Wolfpack were playing in that arena. They have changed their name to the Connecticut Whale. They are the Rangers AHL affiliate.

patnyrnyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 02:31 PM
BamBamCam*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
Yeah mentioned those in paragraph 2, though pretty glad that Wesley took #2 and that it has since been re-retired.

On the Pie McKenzie front, WAY before my time as a fan. But even in his 3 years in the WHA for the Whale there just doesn't look like anything that stands out as being even marginally retirement worthy. So I'm not surprised to hear it was a way of trying to attract local Bruins fans to the franchise.
McKenzie is still revered around Boston. He recently showed up at a bar in East Weymouth Ma and the bar just about fell on it's head. Anyone, from those 70 to 80 teams never have to buy another drink again for themselves.

Old
03-23-2013, 02:33 PM
BamBamCam*

Quote:
Originally Posted by patnyrnyg View Post
The Mall is still there, at the time the Hartford Wolfpack were playing in that arena. They have changed their name to the Connecticut Whale. They are the Rangers AHL affiliate.

The only things I ever did at the Mall was see a few Whaler games and saw the Dead there several times. Great place!

Old
03-23-2013, 02:40 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
McKenzie is still revered around Boston.
No doubt. Typical Irish/Scots $&^% Disturber. I know. Im one myself. Who could
ever forget his centre ice Choke Dance at MSG... what a piece of work.

Killion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 08:10 PM
Hoser

Quote:
It's team by team basis.

The Avs took on a new identity. In other words, the retired numbers of Trembley Goulet and Statsny went back into circulation. Only Av players are represented in Colorado now except for a certain someone that has no business being retired in Colorado.

The Canes kept Gordie Howe retired, and I don't think the Whale ever retired anyone else.

Dallas kept Broten, Gadsby and Masterson retired they are the only Stars or North Stars retired.

There were never any Colorado Rockies or KC Scouts retired that I know of, so New Jersey just has their own players retired.

-------------

The Hurricanes kept Gordie Howe's number 9 retired after the move from Hartford, however Rick Ley's #2 and Johnny McKenzie's #19 went back into circulation, as described in other posts above.

Dallas kept Masterton and Bill Goldsworthy's (Bill Gadsby retired before the North Stars existed ) numbers retired, and they retired Broten's number after the move to Dallas. Broten only played one full season and parts of two others with the Stars in Dallas, so they explicitly recognized his past contributions to the franchise as a North Star.

(The Stars do not recognize any of the Cleveland Barons/California Golden Seals/Oakland Seals/California Seals history, despite the team having merged with the North Stars in 1978.)

The Devils have not retired the numbers of any of the players who played with the Rockies and Scouts. Not surprising, really...

The Coyotes have not only kept Bobby Hull and Thomas Steen's numbers retired they retired the #10 of Dale Hawerchuk, who never played a game with the Coyotes, in 2007. They very explicitly recognize the history of the (original) Winnipeg Jets.

The Flames recognize their history as the Atlanta Flames but have never (and probably will never) retire the number of a player who played with the team in Atlanta.

Hoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 09:56 PM
saskriders
ColinGreening's#1fan

vCash: 750
In my opinion it should belong to the city/fans not the franchise.

It was the people of Winnipeg, not Phoenix that lived the history of the Jets. The Coyotes have no business to claim it as part of their history, especially when there is a team in Winnipeg.

saskriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 10:00 PM
aemoreira1981

Quote:
It's team by team basis.

-------------

The Whalers had retired numbers 2 and 19, but both numbers got returned to circulation. Number 2, however, was only worn by Glen Wesley before the Canes retired it. There is no honor for Gordie Howe's #9 in Carolina, but the number is not available for issue.

The Winnipeg Jets did retire #9 for Bobby Hill and #25 for Thomas Steen. Neither number is available for wear by a Coyote today. The Coyotes have also retired #10 for Dale Hawerchuk. The new Jets don't honor the history of the old Jets (although Bryan Little changed from #10 to #18).

Neal Broten's career ended with the relocated Dallas Stars (who retired his #7), but the Dallas Stars have kept Goldsworthy's #8 and Masterton's #19 retired.

aemoreira1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 10:17 PM
LeBlondeDemon10
BlindLemon Haystacks

Quote:
Originally Posted by aemoreira1981 View Post
The Whalers had retired numbers 2 and 19, but both numbers got returned to circulation. Number 2, however, was only worn by Glen Wesley before the Canes retired it. There is no honor for Gordie Howe's #9 in Carolina, but the number is not available for issue.

The Winnipeg Jets did retire #9 for Bobby Hill and #25 for Thomas Steen. Neither number is available for wear by a Coyote today. The Coyotes have also retired #10 for Dale Hawerchuk. The new Jets don't honor the history of the old Jets (although Bryan Little changed from #10 to #18).

Neal Broten's career ended with the relocated Dallas Stars (who retired his #7), but the Dallas Stars have kept Goldsworthy's #8 and Masterton's #19 retired.
Yes, I don't believe the new Jets honor the history of the old Jets, but Evander Kane had the class to consult with Bobby Hull before he chose #9. Hull gave him his blessing.

LeBlondeDemon10 is offline   Reply With Quote