Notices

Jets will face Bruins in Saskatoon in 2013 NHL Preseason game

Old
03-22-2013, 03:21 PM
ICdave
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Jets will face Bruins in Saskatoon in 2013 NHL Preseason game

The Jets just announced that they will be playing an upcoming preseason game against the Bruins one province over. The only member of either team who is from Saskatoon is the Winnipeg Jets James Wright. Here are the details from the Jets:

——————

The Winnipeg Jets, in association with the Credit Union Centre, are pleased to announce they will face the Boston Bruins in a National hockey League preseason game at the Credit Union Centre in Saskatoon, SK on September 27, 2013. This game is the rescheduled match-up from the 2012 exhibition schedule. It will be one of two pre-season games taking place in Saskatoon with the Ottawa Senators facing off against the Calgary Flames on September 16, 2013.

“The Winnipeg Jets look forward to visiting Saskatoon and playing an original six opponent in the Boston Bruins” said Kevin Cheveldayoff General Manager of the Winnipeg Jets. “We hope to have lots of support from Jets fans throughout Saskatchewan and are excited to play in Saskatoon.”

The Saskatoon Blades season ticket holders will have the first opportunity to purchase tickets followed by Mastercard Memorial Cup package holders in a pre-sale where fans can buy an NHL Game Ticket with a Blades ticket prior to the Wednesday, March 27th 10:00am general public on-sale. Ticket prices are $42.50 to $92.50 (plus service charges) and are available through all Ticketmaster outlets, on-line at Ticketmaster.ca, by calling 938-7800 or 1-800-970-7328.

The remainder of the Winnipeg Jets 2013 Preseason schedule will be announced at a later date.

Last edited by ICdave: 03-22-2013 at 03:26 PM.
ICdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 03:41 PM
sully1410
#EggosForEleven

vCash: 127
That's awesome....I wonder if they're testing the market.

sully1410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 03:44 PM
King Woodballs

vCash: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by sully1410 View Post
That's awesome....I wonder if they're testing the market.
way too small imo

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 04:11 PM
mzappa
Jets fans in space

vCash: 50
Question bump from other thread--- is this a Jets "home" game? (ie. STHs in Winnipeg will have one less preseason game?)

mzappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 04:20 PM
jigglysquishy

Ah ya. I'm in Saskatoon for school.

jigglysquishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 04:25 PM
sully1410
#EggosForEleven

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Woodballs View Post
way too small imo
I agree. If was closer to other cities, it would probably be different, but it's four hours from Regina, a few from Moose Jaw and speedy creek.

Old
03-22-2013, 04:29 PM
jigglysquishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sully1410 View Post
I agree. If was closer to other cities, it would probably be different, but it's four hours from Regina, a few from Moose Jaw and speedy creek.
Four from Regina? Its two. The distance is less than Calgary to Edmonton.

jigglysquishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 04:34 PM
sully1410
#EggosForEleven

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigglysquishy View Post
Really? I always thought it was four hours.

Edit: Just checked my GPS and apparently I was wrong....it's only 2hr 40min. My bad.

Old
03-22-2013, 04:58 PM
Huffer

vCash: 50
Nice!

I wonder how the crowd support will be split? Probably lot's of old school Bruins fans in Saskatchewan.

Huffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 05:16 PM
tntkid

They are getting Calgary even before we do.

I wonder if it will be an awful split squad game.

tntkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 06:58 PM
Diatidialga

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigglysquishy View Post
It's still way to small, Winnipeg is probably the bare minimum for the league to even consider

Diatidialga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 08:26 PM
Lux Aurumque*

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Woodballs View Post
way too small imo
Saskatoon is the fastest growing city in Canada with an economy that rivals Edmonton. I'd say they can do it. People will go to the games. I honestly think both Saskatoon and Regina could easily support teams better than either of the Florida cities and Phoenix.

Canada could easily support at least 5 more teams (Saskatoon, Regina, Toronto/Hamilton/Markham, Quebec City, Halifax). The NHL is just dead set on beating the dead horse that is the southern US.

Lux Aurumque* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 08:35 PM
Tintin's Ghost

AWESOME!!!!!!

Will be taking my son to his first NHL game (exhibition but whatever).

There a lots of old school Bruins fans here but I have to say that for those under age 40, I see way more Jets apparel and merchandise than any other team. Definitely a "home" game for the Jets!

As for getting an NHL team...maybe, in 20 years. Saskatoon and Regina are the fastest growing cities in Canada and provincial growth is expected to outstrip the boom that Alberta experienced last decade. City planners anticipate Saskatoon to add 200,000 people in the next 15-20 years, bringing us to just over 500,000. I think that those numbers are more workable for the NHL than our current population.

Looking forward to the Jets coming to the Bridge City! Well done, TNSE!

Tintin's Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 12:04 PM
bodybreak
Whiteshell Wild

vCash: 720
Quote:
Originally Posted by ICdave View Post
Ticket prices are $42.50 to $92.50 (plus service charges)
Think this will happen with our pre-season home games as well, or will we still be paying full (regular season) price?

bodybreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 12:16 PM
King Woodballs

vCash: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Airlines View Post
Saskatoon is the fastest growing city in Canada with an economy that rivals Edmonton. I'd say they can do it. People will go to the games. I honestly think both Saskatoon and Regina could easily support teams better than either of the Florida cities and Phoenix.

Canada could easily support at least 5 more teams (Saskatoon, Regina, Toronto/Hamilton/Markham, Quebec City, Halifax). The NHL is just dead set on beating the dead horse that is the southern US.
They barely have enough population in the whole province to support a team

No way at this moment (that may change in the future) could they get a team

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 02:02 PM
blueandgoldguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Airlines View Post

It's a nice thought, but it wouldn't work. Only 300,000 or slightly less than that in their GMA. Less than half the corporate head offices in Winnipeg. Less than half the high income households as Winnipeg. That's too much to overcome.

That also doesn't even touch the issue of the arena. I still see ignorant comments on the business section stating that the Credit Union Center is as big as the MTS Centre therefore it's adequate for an NHL team.

The place is 25 years old, only has 30 or 40 inadequate suites shoeboxed in the main level behind the regular seats. Same thing for the club seats - don't have their own section, just in amongst the regular seats. Only one tiny concourse in that entire arena as well from what I understand. They would need a renovation on par with what Hamilton has proposed ($150 million) or a brand new arena similar to MTS Centre (probably $250 million at this point) to even have an NHL calibre facility.

And who exactly would own this team in Saskatoon? Who is there Chipman and Thompson?

NHL in Saskatoon is a non-starter.

blueandgoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote