HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rumor and Proposal Thread Vol. 8: The North Remembers

Closed Thread

Old
03-23-2013, 12:24 PM
Powder
Droppin The KlefBom!

vCash: 500
And for those that are interest in Stafford from the Sabres:

"As Drew Stafford said today, its no secret hes struggled to produce offensively. The former 30-goal scorer has found the net just four times in 31 games while falling from a top-six forward to a fourth-line player.

His descent is continuing as Sabres interim coach Ron Rolston announced hell scratch the right winger tonight against Montreal."

http://blogs.buffalonews.com/sabres/...-montreal.html

Maybe he can be had for a song and a dance and can find his game again in Edmonton?

Old
03-23-2013, 12:34 PM
McEwen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
@SunGarrioch
There have been no talks between the Dallas Stars and Derek Roy's camp in over a week. Top candidate for a new home.

Yes I know who the source is...but that aside...anyone interested?
Very, but I think Dallas would want more than we would be willing to part with. Unless you can factor in Belanger and some midlevel prospect.

Old
03-23-2013, 12:37 PM
Oilfan2
Oil the way..

vCash: 1507
Quote:
@SunGarrioch
There have been no talks between the Dallas Stars and Derek Roy's camp in over a week. Top candidate for a new home.

Yes I know who the source is...but that aside...anyone interested?
What would we do with another small, offensive ( and expensive) player? We need 'different' players to fill some needs.

Old
03-23-2013, 12:41 PM
shogun99

Regardless if we are close to a playoff spot come trade deadline we should still trade any UFA's if the return is good. Letting Smid walk at the end of the season and getting nothing for him would be horrible.

Old
03-23-2013, 12:59 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilfan2 View Post
What would we do with another small, offensive ( and expensive) player? We need 'different' players to fill some needs.
Yup. And his game is on a dramatic decline as well. Only 44 points in 80 games last year and he only has 3 goals so far this year.

Old
03-23-2013, 01:01 PM
Soli
Supervision Required

Quote:
And for those that are interest in Stafford from the Sabres:

"As Drew Stafford said today, its no secret hes struggled to produce offensively. The former 30-goal scorer has found the net just four times in 31 games while falling from a top-six forward to a fourth-line player.

His descent is continuing as Sabres interim coach Ron Rolston announced hell scratch the right winger tonight against Montreal."

http://blogs.buffalonews.com/sabres/...-montreal.html

Maybe he can be had for a song and a dance and can find his game again in Edmonton?
Buffalo would be wise to write off his season and see if he finds his game next year.

But if patience has worn thin, then I'd want to move uninspired contracts out to compensate his big ticket.

We're talking Belanger/Eager + Peckham + EDM 3rd for Stafford. That'd be nice.

Old
03-23-2013, 01:06 PM
Powder
Droppin The KlefBom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilfan2 View Post
True...I keep forgetting that he's so small. Seems to play bigger than that on the ice.

Edit: Or at least DID anyway.

Old
03-23-2013, 01:26 PM
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade

vCash: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soli View Post
Buffalo would be wise to write off his season and see if he finds his game next year.

But if patience has worn thin, then I'd want to move uninspired contracts out to compensate his big ticket.

I think a playoff contender would be able to pay more than that; however, maybe Buffalo does not want to trade to an eastern contender.

Old
03-23-2013, 01:47 PM
Powder
Droppin The KlefBom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soli View Post

That would be nice...plus we could always swap a couple similar pieces if there are other teams in the running and we need to up the anti a bit.

There are other players on that roster that would fit with the Oilers as well. They've already tried firing their coach and unless they make some player moves what else can they do?

Sabres fans are offering up everything right now:

Pominville, Ott, Vanek, Myers, Leopold (Leopold! Leopold!), Foligno, Miller...you name it, they're available from the sounds of it.

If I was Tambellini I'd be calling and inquiring on the asking price for the bolded players.

Edit: I'm obviously putting Stafford in that list as well

Old
03-23-2013, 02:14 PM
KlimasLoveChild

Whitney News

As per Cloutier:

-Whitneys fate this season is tied to Smid's. If Smid is kept, Whitney stays. If Smid isn't dealt, Whitney goes.

I'm guessing if Smid is traded, Whitney stays or goes. I hope this clears things up

Old
03-23-2013, 02:16 PM
misfit

vCash: 50
I had a dream last night that Calgary brought back Regehr and traded their 1st rounder to get him. Even though I wouldn't mind if we actually make a move for him, I'd much rather see that happen.

As for the deadline, I really don't see these rental type deals affecting our future in any real way whether we're on the buyer or seller side. I don't consider Smid a rental because we should have a legitimate shot at signing him long term on a reasonable contract. He doesn't want to go anywhere and we can't really afford to lose him.

The moves I really hope we avoid are the Whitney/Visnovsky, Cole/O'Sullivan, Gilbert/Schultz "step back" trades that Tambellini has become famous for on deadline day. Combine that with both Drew Stafford's apparent availability and this team's history of trading for players they liked on draft day (Pitkanen, Nilsson, Brule, Teubert, etc), I can't help but be very nervous about what might happen at this year's deadline.

03-23-2013, 02:16 PM
Copperhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by KlimasLoveChild View Post
As per Cloutier:

-Whitneys fate this season is tied to Smid's. If Smid is kept, Whitney stays. If Smid isn't dealt, Whitney goes.

I'm guessing if Smid is traded, Whitney stays or goes. I hope this clears things up
I'm pretty sure this didn't need it's own thread. Maybe you could post in the rumours and trade proposals next time.

Old
03-23-2013, 02:17 PM
ales83fan

??? Those are two contradicting statements.

Old
03-23-2013, 02:17 PM
KlimasLoveChild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copperhead View Post
I'm pretty sure this didn't need it's own thread. Maybe you could post in the rumours and trade proposals next time.
But this is breaking news man

Old
03-23-2013, 02:19 PM
Copperhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by KlimasLoveChild View Post
But this is breaking news man
I'm not sure you can even joke about HockeyBuzz being breaking news

Old
03-23-2013, 02:23 PM
KlimasLoveChild

Quote:
Originally Posted by ales83fan View Post
??? Those are two contradicting statements.

Old
03-23-2013, 02:30 PM
KlimasLoveChild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paralyzer008 View Post
On Smid, realistically, you either get him for 3-5 years at 4M per, or you get him at 3.75M per for 5-7 years. Anything higher and it starts to get iffy.
I say its already pretty iffy at those numbers and that term. 3.25 is where he should be

Old
03-23-2013, 02:35 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

vCash: 81
Lets say Smid is asking $4.25M/yr and people don't want to pay him that. So you trade him for picks and prospects.

Than what? How do you replace him? Free agency is fairly bare with regards to D-man this year. Trade won't come cheap for a top-4 D-man who plays similar to Smid.

We're in a bit of a bind. He's been one of our only quality D-man, trading him now would be a step back.

03-23-2013, 02:38 PM
BlueChip01
HFBoards Sponsor

I hope they can get Smid done at 3.75 Max

Old
03-23-2013, 02:39 PM
Ragss

Smid seems like such a humble guy, hard to imagine him demanding a huge contract or a trade. Hopefully he isn't the Smyth type who leaves it all up to his agent.

Old
03-23-2013, 02:53 PM
armandh01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
Lets say Smid is asking $4.25M/yr and people don't want to pay him that. So you trade him for picks and prospects.

Than what? How do you replace him? Free agency is fairly bare with regards to D-man this year. Trade won't come cheap for a top-4 D-man who plays similar to Smid.

We're in a bit of a bind. He's been one of our only quality D-man, trading him now would be a step back.
Sorry paying him 4.25 is the worst of the 2 options. I'd rather go with a gap for a season than be stuck over paying a guy not worth the money for many (Horcoff). This team needs to stop bleeding cap space to players. He's on crack asking for 4.25 and any team would be on on crack paying him that with decreasing cap space.

Old
03-23-2013, 03:00 PM
Harley

An idea that involves trading Smid is that if you packaged him up with a forward you may be able to do a hockey deal with a team in the playoff hunt. Lets say the Oilers were looking for an established D from someone. A team may think about it if you give them Smid, who they would view as an acceptable replacement to the defenceman they might move if you added Hemsky and they were also needing a boost of offensive creativity to their lineup.

Or if you traded Smid and Hemsky (just using Hemsky as an example, maybe Hartikainen etc) to a team for an established big body top 6 player they may bite if they view Hemsky as ok and Smid as the added bonus of getting a pretty valuable D as well.

If you move Smid I think it could open up some pretty interesting trade scenarios. A package of Smid-Hemsky may land a pretty valuable player. Of course that is some pretty serious cap hit moving so it would probably have to involve a fairly major cap hit player.

Just speculating.

Old
03-23-2013, 03:04 PM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

People seem to be confusing Smid's worth and his market value. He's probably a 3.5 million dollar player, but look at the D market this summer, he'll get 4-4.5 easy.

He's someone I never wanna see play in another uniform, but even with that being said, I'd be weary paying upwards of 4 million for a guy who realistically is at best a #4 defenseman.

Old
03-23-2013, 03:05 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

vCash: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by armandh01 View Post
Sorry paying him 4.25 is the worst of the 2 options. I'd rather go with a gap for a season than be stuck over paying a guy not worth the money for many (Horcoff). This team needs to stop bleeding cap space to players. He's on crack asking for 4.25 and any team would be on on crack paying him that with decreasing cap space.
Consider how many teams look for top-4 D-man.

Paying a guy like Smid 1M more to keep him isn't bad. Cap space doesn't win you games, players do. With how hard it has been shown to add top-4 D-man to the Oilers in the past, a little overpayment doesn't hurt. Especially considering the gap idea means we take another step back. A Potter/Peckham replacing Smid for a whole season would be terrible.

No team is going to be perfect with regards to cap space, you just have to pick where you overpay. Considering how hard it's been shown to acquire top-4 D-man recently, overpaying a guy like Smid 0.5-1M to keep him isn't the end of the world.

Old
03-23-2013, 03:20 PM
Powder
Droppin The KlefBom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
Consider how many teams look for top-4 D-man.

Paying a guy like Smid 1M more to keep him isn't bad. Cap space doesn't win you games, players do. With how hard it has been shown to add top-4 D-man to the Oilers in the past, a little overpayment doesn't hurt. Especially considering the gap idea means we take another step back. A Potter/Peckham replacing Smid for a whole season would be terrible.

No team is going to be perfect with regards to cap space, you just have to pick where you overpay. Considering how hard it's been shown to acquire top-4 D-man recently, overpaying a guy like Smid 0.5-1M to keep him isn't the end of the world.
Agreed. Having to go from 3.5 per year to 4.25 on a guy like Smid isn't a big pill to swallow if you ask me, especially if it means the difference between keeping him or not.

He's probably going to get that on the open market.

Edit: as long as we're not talking about anything over 4 years that is...

Closed Thread