HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Montreal claims Halpern on waivers

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-23-2013, 01:49 PM
  #201
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups
 
Agnostic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,221
vCash: 500
Rangers board is doing a collective WTF on this . It wouldn't take much to be an upgrade on Noke or Blunden.

With no commitment beyond this year and no assets given up, it's a small but relatively good move.

If you take into consideration the motivational kick it gives Halpern to be saved from the scrap heap it's got potential.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 01:51 PM
  #202
Dharvey33
Registered User
 
Dharvey33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 2,809
vCash: 500
Adress a need but meh never liked the guy another soft ass player we need to get rid of Moen asap for a tough guy. Now halpern will take his place on the pk so we could afford a scrub.

Dharvey33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 01:53 PM
  #203
HatTricK09
Registered User
 
HatTricK09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,512
vCash: 500
Need to sign Darche and bring up Leblanc and we can have that highly educated line again

HatTricK09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 01:54 PM
  #204
waffledave
waffledave, from hf
 
waffledave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,466
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dharvey33 View Post
Adress a need but meh never liked the guy another soft ass player we need to get rid of Moen asap for a tough guy. Now halpern will take his place on the pk so we could afford a scrub.
Very possible actually.

__________________
Yours in Christ,

waffledave
waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 01:54 PM
  #205
#57
Registered User
 
#57's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,836
vCash: 500
Definitely a good playoff replacement for Dumont

Pacioretty Desharnais Gallagher
Bourque Plekanec Ryder
Clowe Eller Gionta
Prust Halpern Galchenyuk
+Moen, White, Armstrong

I like the depth but I see Galchenyuk being on the 4th line during the playoff and Bergervin acquiring another solid forward maybe someone like Clowe. I remember Seguin not having a lot of ice time in the Bruins' cup run but he still contributed. Galchy could have the same role.

#57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 01:56 PM
  #206
Odelein24
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 529
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HatTricK09 View Post
Need to sign Darche and bring up Leblanc and we can have that highly educated line again
Or the PhD line!
Pouliot Hapern Darche!
Good times.

Halpern even played on Plek's wing for awhile heh.

Odelein24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 02:03 PM
  #207
TennisMenace
Registered User
 
TennisMenace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Buffalo
Country: United States
Posts: 1,664
vCash: 500
You guys are making me laugh being so excited over a near 37 yr old who has one point in 30 games and 4 goals the prior year. So what if he wins a few face offs on the 4th line.
He adds very little. Kassian would have been 100 times better pickup.

TennisMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 02:04 PM
  #208
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad
 
DekeLikeYouMeanIt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: In space..with goats
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,423
vCash: 500
Happy about this. At worst he helps the PK and faceoffs. Dumont was good at the latter but Halpy's experience is great.

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 02:07 PM
  #209
Andy
Registered User
 
Andy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,882
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TennisMenace View Post
You guys are making me laugh being so excited over a near 37 yr old who has one point in 30 games and 4 goals the prior year. So what if he wins a few face offs on the 4th line.
He adds very little. Kassian would have been 100 times better pickup.
Why? Does Kassian help with faceoffs and the PK (both of which are key issues with the team)? Does Kassian help lining up the 4th line against stronger opponents to give guys like Plekanec a break?

If Bergevin is dead set on not wasting assets to acquire rentals, Halpern fits the bill. Everyone would prefer someone younger to fill his role, but it will cost, which Bergevin is not willing to do. The move makes a lot of sense and Halpern's defensive numbers this year have been good for the role he was given.


Last edited by Andy: 03-23-2013 at 02:12 PM.
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 02:10 PM
  #210
Locks
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 373
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TennisMenace View Post
You guys are making me laugh being so excited over a near 37 yr old who has one point in 30 games and 4 goals the prior year. So what if he wins a few face offs on the 4th line.
He adds very little. Kassian would have been 100 times better pickup.
Halpern and kassian are two very different players that address different needs. We have just addressed one need and I hope we will address the other before the deadline.

Locks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 02:11 PM
  #211
TennisMenace
Registered User
 
TennisMenace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Buffalo
Country: United States
Posts: 1,664
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Why? Does Kassian help with faceoffs and the PK (both of which are key issues with the team)? Does Kassian help lining up the 4th line against stronger opponents to give guys like Plekanec a break?

If Bergevin is dead set on not wasting assets to acquire rentals, Halpern fits the bill. Everyone would prefer someone younger to fill his role, but it will cost, which Bergevin is willing to do. The move makes a lot of sense and Halpern's defensive numbers this year have been good for the role he was given.
Fair enough Andy. Good rebuttal. (I still preferred Kassian.)

TennisMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 02:12 PM
  #212
TennisMenace
Registered User
 
TennisMenace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Buffalo
Country: United States
Posts: 1,664
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Locks View Post
Halpern and kassian are two very different players that address different needs. We have just addressed one need and I hope we will address the other before the deadline.
I hope so.

TennisMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 02:12 PM
  #213
peate
Habs fan 4 life.
 
peate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Island
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,586
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TennisMenace View Post
You guys are making me laugh being so excited over a near 37 yr old who has one point in 30 games and 4 goals the prior year. So what if he wins a few face offs on the 4th line.
He adds very little. Kassian would have been 100 times better pickup.
His job will be to prevent goals by winning key face-offs in our zone on the PK. Something we've had a lot of trouble doing, and a very important asset from a 4th line centre, moreso than scoring.

peate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 02:14 PM
  #214
donghabs98
Moderator
 
donghabs98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,010
vCash: 499
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
Rangers board is doing a collective WTF on this . It wouldn't take much to be an upgrade on Noke or Blunden.

With no commitment beyond this year and no assets given up, it's a small but relatively good move.

If you take into consideration the motivational kick it gives Halpern to be saved from the scrap heap it's got potential.
You know it's a good pickup when

donghabs98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 02:17 PM
  #215
BobbyFischer*
 
BobbyFischer*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 2,864
vCash: 500
You need experience in the playoffs... and he has what he need, minus size and strength.

Fact that he's UFA too after this year is perfect as well.

BobbyFischer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 02:20 PM
  #216
Captain Smurf
Naively Optimistic
 
Captain Smurf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Thornhill, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,122
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by peate View Post
His job will be to prevent goals by winning key face-offs in our zone on the PK. Something we've had a lot of trouble doing, and a very important asset from a 4th line centre, moreso than scoring.
also, His 5-on-5 Off zone start % to Off zone finish % is 26.3% to 48.8%. Thats better than any of our current 4th liners and falls right in line with the way Therrien likes to use the 4th line.

He helps improve this team at no cost, I can't see why anyone can have problem with this. If he doesn't work out, waive him and its like nothing happened. This does not stop MB from adding toughness.

Captain Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 02:21 PM
  #217
JohnLennon
Registered User
 
JohnLennon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 3,023
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
Both are vets that have had terrible seasons. My point stands. I don't mind the move, I'm just laughing at the double standards here.
Your point doesn't stand... they are completely different players being acquired in completely different situations. Makes no sense to compare the two.

JohnLennon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 02:24 PM
  #218
TennisMenace
Registered User
 
TennisMenace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Buffalo
Country: United States
Posts: 1,664
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Smurf View Post
also, His 5-on-5 Off zone start % to Off zone finish % is 26.3% to 48.8%. Thats better than any of our current 4th liners and falls right in line with the way Therrien likes to use the 4th line.

He helps improve this team at no cost, I can't see why anyone can have problem with this. If he doesn't work out, waive him and its like nothing happened. This does not stop MB from adding toughness.
Yeah, I stand corrected- I now see the error of my way here. He does fill two needs. To bad he also can't bang some big bodies.

TennisMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 02:28 PM
  #219
peate
Habs fan 4 life.
 
peate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Island
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,586
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Smurf View Post
also, His 5-on-5 Off zone start % to Off zone finish % is 26.3% to 48.8%. Thats better than any of our current 4th liners and falls right in line with the way Therrien likes to use the 4th line.

He helps improve this team at no cost, I can't see why anyone can have problem with this. If he doesn't work out, waive him and its like nothing happened. This does not stop MB from adding toughness.
Interesting stat. I also have a feeling there's some kind of trade in the works. I think MB knows where our weakness lies and is doing a good job addressing the issues. I just wish Moen would get his act together and throw some weight around.

peate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 02:30 PM
  #220
Captain Smurf
Naively Optimistic
 
Captain Smurf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Thornhill, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,122
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TennisMenace View Post
Yeah, I stand corrected- I now see the error of my way here. He does fill two needs. To bad he also can't bang some big bodies.
If he could, he wouldn't be on waivers (see Brian Boyle, who IMO has been worse than Hlapern this year in NYR).

Captain Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 02:45 PM
  #221
onebighockeyfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,497
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Saku View Post
This is hilarious. In Antichambre the other day they were saying that under Bergevin and Therrien we won't see any more dead weights like Halpern and Smolinski.
Another antichambre stab. Good job lads. Why do you guys even bother watching it only to whine about it...... that's so retarded.

onebighockeyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 02:49 PM
  #222
Bullsmith
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 4,172
vCash: 500
Nothing to lose here. Veteran depth for the PK and a very good faceoff specialist. If he's got nothing left, it didn't cost us anything. If he can be any kind of upgrade it's great for us. Never heard anything but positives about the guy as a teammate.

Bullsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 02:49 PM
  #223
vokiel
#NoTradesWithEDM
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Montréal
Country: Martinique
Posts: 6,819
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by onebighockeyfan View Post
Another antichambre stab. Good job lads. Why do you guys even bother watching it only to whine about it...... that's so retarded.
The other shows are worst?

vokiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 02:52 PM
  #224
Craig71
Registered User
 
Craig71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,930
vCash: 500
The face off specialist that will do well here. He is not as poor offensively as some might suggest and costs us nothing. He is an excellent penalty killer and a great addition by MB. I wonder if we will do anything at the deadline?

Craig71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 02:52 PM
  #225
Coldplay
Courage
 
Coldplay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Montréal
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,372
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by onebighockeyfan View Post
Another antichambre stab. Good job lads. Why do you guys even bother watching it only to whine about it...... that's so retarded.
Oh I'm sorry, did our Antichambre trash-talking strike a nerve?

Get over it.

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:04 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.