HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Travis Ewanyk Signed to 3-Year ELC

Old
03-22-2013, 07:59 PM
nexttothemoon
The Drive for Nine

vCash: 500
The team has 50 contract spots and only 23 roster spots... by definition... some won't work out. Sure there will be some that never develop into anything but some surprises as well.

I wouldn't crucify the guy already and say it's a waste of one of those 50 spots. MANY players in those 50 spots on ALL the 30 NHL teams never get more than a cup of coffee... and many don't even see that. Not a big deal in the long run.

At worst he's filler for the next half decade in OKC... so be it, not every player develops into an NHL player but there's always the chance he might.

nexttothemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 08:18 PM
dixs35

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
The team has 50 contract spots and only 23 roster spots... by definition... some won't work out. Sure there will be some that never develop into anything but some surprises as well.

I wouldn't crucify the guy already and say it's a waste of one of those 50 spots. MANY players in those 50 spots on ALL the 30 NHL teams never get more than a cup of coffee... and many don't even see that. Not a big deal in the long run.

At worst he's filler for the next half decade in OKC... so be it, not every player develops into an NHL player but there's always the chance he might.
You just answered why some are upset right now. They are at 50 contracts and still have to sign Gernat, Rieder and arguably Bigos who are better prospects. Right now they have guys like House, Abney etc taking up contracts. I know they are losing some contracts, but the optics and timing just look poor to me.

dixs35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 08:34 PM
dnicks17

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixs35 View Post
You just answered why some are upset right now. They are at 50 contracts and still have to sign Gernat, Rieder and arguably Bigos who are better prospects. Right now they have guys like House, Abney etc taking up contracts. I know they are losing some contracts, but the optics and timing just look poor to me.
Those guys will be signed to "next year" contracts, just like Ewanyk was.

Being at 49 contracts right now has nothing to do with any of those players. Unless they want Bigos to play some NHL games, which is probably a very long shot.

dnicks17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 08:43 PM
Lay Z Boy GM

I wish him the best.

It would be really cool for those that followed him with the Oil Kings to see him make it in the NHL.

Lay Z Boy GM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 09:17 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

I don't get how people are upset with this. Not everyone has 1st line upside. He could potentially be a VERY good role player for us. You need those guys

The Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 09:32 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

He's got a goal tonight.

Groucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 11:25 PM
monkeywrench

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixs35 View Post
E****y is a better prospect then bigos. I have seen both play and have a buddy that was on his vipers team with him and a cousin that played with bigos down in Cali in the summer, and they both say his isn't good. He skates as fast as a turtle runs. They only thing he does does do well is be mean. I just do not see how people can say Bigos deserves a contract over Ewanyk. But everone has their own opinoins

monkeywrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 01:49 AM
Hockey Buddha
Darnell Nurse

Travis Ewanyk seems like a great kid with his head on really straight. He could eventually turn into a serviceable 3rd or 4th line centre with some decent size and ability. Good signing.

Hockey Buddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 02:45 AM
dixs35

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
Those guys will be signed to "next year" contracts, just like Ewanyk was.

Being at 49 contracts right now has nothing to do with any of those players. Unless they want Bigos to play some NHL games, which is probably a very long shot.
yes I know. I guess I could have made myself clearer. In all honesty as long as they sign Gernat and Rieder I really don't mind the signing. To me it just seems like they should be focusing on getting those two done before this one. I've always liked Ewanyk's game but much like Czerwonka IMO injuries have robbed him of development time and he may not be able to overcome it. I would assume he replaces CVV in OKC next year and I will be rooting for him, but I just think the deck is stacked against him.

Bigos IMO may replace both Plante and Teubert next year unless management thinks Teubert can take the next step. Teubert may get a 1yr show me deal ala Plante but he is probably a wasted roster spot too. With all the young D coming into the system in the next 2 years I would cut bait with guys like Teubert and Plante and sign AHL vets to anchor the pairings. Potter and Exelby types.

dixs35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 03:22 AM
Burnt Biscuits

I know 3 years is the norm for ELC's but for prospects who we wish to retain, but are on a bit shakier of ground why not sign them to a 2 year only deal. That is enough time to see if they are even capable of playing at the AHL level. Obviously with higher end prospects you want the 3 year deal to keep the salary down on what they will likely command on their 2nd contract + lock them up longer. For a prospect like Ewanyk though he is going to be dirt cheap regardless whether that be his 1st, 2nd, or 3rd contract he is going to be significantly limited in terms of $$$ due to not putting up offensive numbers. I can see us 3 years from now having our snout pressed up against the 50 contract limit and wanting to pick someone up off waivers or sign someone and we can't cause we aren't more prudent with our contracts.

I'm not going to crap on Ewanyk, but he is not a slam dunk yes signing it wouldn't hurt to have a more measured response

Burnt Biscuits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 04:56 AM
Hemsky4PM

Will probably have a long pro career if he can stay healthy. It might be as an AHL guy who gets occassional cups of coffee in the NHL as a 4th liner.

The Oilers need to have some guys who are pure effort on the farm and he fits that bill. Also, no expectations. He can spend the FULL 3 years in OKC.

Hemsky4PM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 07:30 AM
Trafalgar Law
Waive Dallas Eakins

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrench View Post
E****y is a better prospect then bigos. I have seen both play and have a buddy that was on his vipers team with him and a cousin that played with bigos down in Cali in the summer, and they both say his isn't good. He skates as fast as a turtle runs. They only thing he does does do well is be mean. I just do not see how people can say Bigos deserves a contract over Ewanyk. But everone has their own opinoins
I think pretty much everyone here thinks Bigos has higher NHL potential than Ewanyuk. There is always room for a big mean 6'5 230 pound defender in the big club, and as long as Bigos doesn't have Theo Peckham level defensive awareness, he'd be the perfect bottom pairing dman. Hell, at the very worst, he'll get a cup of coffee as a 7th dman goon ala Peckham.

Trafalgar Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 11:38 AM
dnicks17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnt Biscuits View Post
I know 3 years is the norm for ELC's but for prospects who we wish to retain, but are on a bit shakier of ground why not sign them to a 2 year only deal. That is enough time to see if they are even capable of playing at the AHL level. Obviously with higher end prospects you want the 3 year deal to keep the salary down on what they will likely command on their 2nd contract + lock them up longer. For a prospect like Ewanyk though he is going to be dirt cheap regardless whether that be his 1st, 2nd, or 3rd contract he is going to be significantly limited in terms of $$$ due to not putting up offensive numbers. I can see us 3 years from now having our snout pressed up against the 50 contract limit and wanting to pick someone up off waivers or sign someone and we can't cause we aren't more prudent with our contracts.

I'm not going to crap on Ewanyk, but he is not a slam dunk yes signing it wouldn't hurt to have a more measured response
The length of an ELC is based on age unfortunately.

24 year olds, like Bigos, get a one year.

23 year olds get a two year.

Everyone younger gets a three year.

dnicks17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 02:40 PM
puckfan13

I wonder if he's going to be sent back to the Oil Kings as an OA next year to make up for a bit of lost development time and find a touch more offense? Might not be the worst thing ever, would really put the onus on him to be an even bigger leader as well. Could see the argument for it working out as a benefit in this particular case.

Did a bit of a "defense" or justification (don't really know what to call it) of the Ewanyk contract if anyone cares to read it: http://nhlwhiteboard.blogspot.ca/201...anyks-elc.html

Last edited by puckfan13: 03-23-2013 at 02:51 PM.
puckfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 04:00 PM
KenLinsemanFanClub
Sorry State

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilsp1ll View Post
I wonder if he's going to be sent back to the Oil Kings as an OA next year to make up for a bit of lost development time and find a touch more offense? Might not be the worst thing ever, would really put the onus on him to be an even bigger leader as well. Could see the argument for it working out as a benefit in this particular case.

Did a bit of a "defense" or justification (don't really know what to call it) of the Ewanyk contract if anyone cares to read it: http://nhlwhiteboard.blogspot.ca/201...anyks-elc.html
That's a very good read and a nice description of the kind of player Travis is. The Thompson comparison is a good one and coincidentally Thompson signed a 4 year contact extension with Tampa today. Obviously a useful player contrary to the opinion of the majority in this thread who only pay attention to the stats line. These are the kinds of players teams need to have if they want to win.

Anyone who remembers the Kevin McClellands, Dave Lumleys and Dave Hunters of the glory years understand how valuable these guys are to the team. We can only hope Travis develops into a similar type of player.

KenLinsemanFanClub is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 02:29 AM
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade

vCash: 50
Well, I think his main competition in our system will be Christian Pelss. Both seem to play high-energy games.

Ewanyk does have the height advantage though.

AlowlyOilersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 10:52 AM
smokersarejokers

People are mad about this? haha I love hf Oil.

"We're not big enough!" "OMG We're not tough enough !!!1!1!" "Our bottom 6 centres are terrible!"

Ewanyk hasn't put up big offensive numbers, but I can assure you that every single team in the WHL HATES playing against him. He's tough, smart leader that brings a TON of energy to the Oil Kings. He hits, he fights, he's great on draws and the PK. He's the kind of player that good teams need.

He's everything the Oilers need and everything that we wish Belanger was. Give him some time, for crying out loud.

The Oil Kings aren't steam rolling everyone just because St Croix, Wruck, Samuelsson, Lazar, etc are great offensive players and LB and Jarry are great goalies, there's a physical aspect to their game that other teams can't handle and guys like Ewanyk and Moroz are a big part of that. Just like LA and Boston they can beat you on and off the ice.

smokersarejokers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 11:33 AM
Tad Mikowsky
Retired

People are *****ing about signing a draft pick who's potential is an energy player, something this team badly needs.

Yep. Sounds about right around here.

Tad Mikowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 02:03 AM
HopefulCoach

Ewanyk is our future Smithson. Good size, good fee site play, good face offs. Ewanyk is more physical and gritty though. They have very comparable junior numbers too.

HopefulCoach is offline   Reply With Quote