HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Most Important NJ Devil: Stevens or Brodeur?

Old
03-23-2013, 10:34 AM
NHLsnipers

vCash: 500
Brodeur for sure. Stevens was awesome, but picture the Devils without Brodeur for the past 20 years. That would equal 0 cups.

NHLsnipers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 10:38 AM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

I think that Stevens was the more important player during the years he was playing, but if you are going by most important overall contributions to the franchise then it's Brodeur easily based on everything he's added post-lockout.

People can talk simplistically all they want about "zero Cups without Stevens", but the fact remains the team has been quite successful since he retired and a lot of that falls on Brodeur. Making it to game 6 of the Stanley Cup finals is absolutely nothing to sneeze at.

Epsilon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 10:55 AM
Stephen23

Easily Brodeur.

Stephen23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 11:15 AM
zeke
#freewilly

Niedermayer was more important than stevens.

zeke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 11:16 AM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeke View Post
Niedermayer was more important than stevens.
Not a chance. Maybe in 2003.

Epsilon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 11:24 AM
zeke
#freewilly

Nieds was much more important.

zeke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 11:30 AM
GoDevs9

Why would this even be asked...Brodeur easily.

GoDevs9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 11:38 AM
Christmas Izzy
FollowmeonInstagram!

Brodeur, very easy decision.

Christmas Izzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 11:42 AM
NYR94

Send a message via AIM to NYR94
Brodeur, but not by a landslide like some make it out to be. I think if Stevens were Marty's age and somehow still playing for NJ like Brodeur is it would be a lot closer. Stevens helped change the identity of that team, along with Lemaire. Brodeur's HOF play helped solidify it.

NYR94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 12:18 PM
AfroThunder396
Lou's Secret Sauce

This isn't a landslide at all. IMO it's VERY close. But I take Marty by a hair.

People forget it was Stevens that forged the Devils legacy on the ice. No-nonsense, professional, disciplined but intimidating, relentless willpower to win. Stevens was the catalyst for that change and the personification of Devils hockey, and also one of the best leaders not just in hockey but in sports as a whole.

Obviously Marty is the superior player, and a more unique player - puck moving half-butterfly goalies are very hard to come by and even rarer at the HoF level. Marty's longevity, innovative mindset, and adaptability through different eras is what makes him, IMO, the GOAT.

Stevens is really getting sold short here, I'm guessing that's due to the large number of posters on here that have never seen him play. But he was a real special player.

AfroThunder396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 12:32 PM
AfroThunder396
Lou's Secret Sauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epsilon View Post
I think that Stevens was the more important player during the years he was playing, but if you are going by most important overall contributions to the franchise then it's Brodeur easily based on everything he's added post-lockout
I think this is the best way to describe it. When they were both playing together it was Stevens, but overall it's Marty by a little bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
I'll go down the middle and split it for a couple of reasons. I'll also assume that everyone is familiar with Brodeur's career.

[TEXT]
While this is an excellent synopsis, it's important to remember that quite a bit of the Devils "settling down" in the mid-90's is due to Stevens.

During his time in Washington and St. Louis he was a pure offensive defenseman. His 78 point campaign for NJ in 1994 set the record for assists by a Devil in a season (60) that hasn't been matched by any player since (and there have been some damn good ones - Elias, Kovalchuk, Gomez, Rafalski, Parise, Mogilny, etc).

Niedermayer in his early days was such a defensive liability that Lemaire would sometimes play him as a forward. Combined with an aging Driver meant that they needed more defensive support. Lemaire approached Stevens and said that he wanted to him to play in a more defensive role, and Stevens did just that.

The metamorphosis of Stevens under Lemaire from a premier puck mover to a premier physical shutdown defenseman was just as important to establishing the Devils as a legendary defense as the upstart Brodeur was, at least IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toewsintangibles View Post
Devils cups with Stevens and Brodeur in line up: 3,
Devils cups with Brodeur only: 0.

The Devils have taken quite a nosedive since Stevens left
Devils cups with Brylin and Brodeur in line up: 3,

The Devils have taken quite a nosedive since Brylin left

AfroThunder396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 01:27 PM
Fire Dumboer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfroThunder396 View Post
Devils cups with Brylin and Brodeur in line up: 3,

The Devils have taken quite a nosedive since Brylin left
Devils cups with Daneyko and Brodeur in line up: 3,

The Devils have taken quite a nosedive since Daneyko left

Fire Dumboer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 01:46 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

As others have said, when they played together, it was Brodeur in the regular season, Stevens in the playoffs. But Brodeur has done so much since Stevens retired, that it has to be him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toewsintangibles View Post
Devils cups with Stevens and Brodeur in line up: 3,

The Devils have taken quite a nosedive since Stevens left
Losing the second best player in franchise history will do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderfest View Post
I'm always hesitant to rank/compare goalies and skaters because it's such apples and oranges, but I think Stevens is getting slighted here.

The 2000 cup doesn't happen without Stevens (as deep and talented as that team was). I've never seen a player put an entire team on his back like that. Likewise, I have a hard time seeing the 2003 cup happening without Brodeur.

It is a pet peeve of mine that Stevens is increasingly remembered first and only for his huge hits. I guess it's the most youtube-friendly aspect of his game. Stevens was an absolutely brutal shutdown defender and a very underrated 2-way/puck moving D. Sure, he racked up most of his career points with Washington, but he was still putting up respectable numbers during his shutdown years with NJ.
It's a pet peeve of mine too. Devils era Stevens absolutely dominated games defensively in a way that no defenseman currently in the league is capable of doing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHLsnipers View Post
Brodeur for sure. Stevens was awesome, but picture the Devils without Brodeur for the past 20 years. That would equal 0 cups.
They have zero Cups without Stevens - they would have lost to the Flyers in both 1995 and 2000 without Stevens if they even got that far. Maybe they win in 2003 without him, but I doubt it. The ECFs were a 7 game series against a very good Ottawa team and Stevens was still their top shut down guy.

The Devils flat out owned the Flyers, then Stevens is forced to retire and they lose in 5 in 2004 as the Flyers manhandle them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeke View Post
Nieds was much more important.
I laughed at you the first time you said it; you didn't need to repeat yourself.

TheDevilMadeMe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 01:50 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

And I appreciate what Jacques Lemaire did in helping being the winning culture of Montreal to NJ (with no small help from Larry Robinson and Claude Lemieux). But in the end, he was only there for one trip to the finals. Stevens went to the finals four times with NJ; Brodeur five times.

TheDevilMadeMe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 02:07 PM
CHIP72

Quote:
Originally Posted by grcenter47 View Post
I think its Brodeur too but I've had people tell me that since Stevens has been gone, the Devils haven't won any cups

Not sure if I think that is a logical argument
Conversely, the Devils never won a Stanley Cup until Brodeur became their #1 goalie.

I'd personally pick Marty Brodeur, but it's a fairly close comparison IMO.

As a couple other people have noted, Lou Lamoriello would rank above either Brodeur or Stevens.

Last edited by CHIP72: 03-23-2013 at 02:23 PM.
CHIP72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 02:16 PM
Sentinel

Come on... Marty, easily.

Sentinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 02:24 PM
Big Phil

You have to go with Brodeur here. No contest from an all-time standpoint.

However, if we isolate it to the championship runs - 1995, 2000, 2003 and what the heck we'll throw in 2001 in a losing cause in the Cup final - then it gets a little tricky.

Brodeur without a doubt was important, had a Smythe worthy run in 2003, but I think you would have to argue that Stevens was the most important Devil during their championship years. He has a Smythe in 2000, could have won one in 1995 and was still rather important in 2003 and more so in 2001. He played a fearless game and stiffened many spines on that ice. Every one of those aforementioned years he has a hit where he practically knocked someone unconcious.

All-time Brodeur, but the championship runs - Stevens.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 03:56 PM
Dennis Bonvie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PALE PWNR View Post
Brodeur AINEC

I would change my vote if it was Lemaire vs Brodeur
What if it were Lou Lamoriello instead?

Dennis Bonvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 04:09 PM
Dennis Bonvie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MastuhNinks View Post
Brodeur has arguably contributed more to the Devils than any goalie in NHL history has contributed to any one team.

A little perspective, Brodeur has 665 (and counting) wins with the Devils. I believe the next closest in wins for a goaltender in a single franchise is Tony Esoposito (Blackhawks) with 418, and Terry Sawchuk (Red Wings ) with 351. Along with 4 Vezinas and 113 playoff wins (most all time for a single franchise).

Obviously wins aren't the best indicator of a goalie's worth, but it really puts in perspective how important Brodeur has been to the Devils for so absurdly long compared to other legendary goaltenders who often played for several teams.
Careful with taking stats at face value.

Broduer also has the most losses of any goalie ever also.

Dennis Bonvie is offline   Reply With Quote