HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Suprise Bust of the year....huh?

Closed Thread

Old
12-23-2003, 02:08 PM
Plan 9

vCash: 500
Alexei Kovalev

Old
12-23-2003, 02:14 PM
Ronnie Bass
elite pissy upside

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jozeph_Balej
Chistov ...he scored his 1st goal last night...
Really, just now he scored it, I drafted him for my fantasy team and I thought I had a steal but after tens games and no goals I dropped his ass after that I lost track of what he was doing, but gez I figured he would have scored at least some by now. What a major disapointment.

Old
12-23-2003, 03:45 PM
Unthinkable

vCash:
JS Giguere gets my vote. If I'm coaching the Ducks, I'd be running with Gerber for as long as I can riding him while he's hot. Seems he's ready to take the reigns of a number one job, but trapped behind a guy who just cashed in for quite a handsome salary.

Ryan Miller, Miroslav Satan, Andy Delmore, and even Chris Drury to a lesser extent haven't really performed up to their expectations at all really. Miller was trumped as the best player not playing in the NHL before the season started and he's had some bad games even considering the spotty defense playing in front of him.

Old
12-23-2003, 03:48 PM
Yayo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmad
Tuomo Ruutu?
Yeah, that's what I was going to say.

Old
12-23-2003, 04:00 PM
Burke's Evil Spirit

Marty Turco. He's playing the worst hockey of his entire career.

Old
12-23-2003, 07:04 PM
Maximus

Send a message via Yahoo to Maximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmad
Tuomo Ruutu?
Not to say Ruutu hasn't been a bust or over hyped, but mentioning players like him or Ryan Miller, who haven never done squatole yet in their NHL careers, is, no offense, not really what this thread was intended to discuss. What I was attempting to do was to decipher what guys in your opinions, who have established themselves as legitimate NHL stars(or close to it) and aren't "one hit wonders" like the Modanos,Lecavaliers,Satans,O'Neills of the world that I mentioned at the onset. The Millers,Ruutus don't qualify IMO as they've never ever done it before.

Thus my opinion that of all the players in the NHL currently performing, Mike Modano's horror show of a year thus far, considering how consistantly brilliant he has been throughout his career, especially the past 5-6 years when he met up with Hitch, who turned around his game, absolutaly has to qualify as THE biggest suprise bust this season.

I mean just think of this fellas, even if Modano turns his season around and goes on a point per game pace starting now(not impossible considering how as Modano is God correctly stated, he usually does have superb second halves of seasons), with around 45 games or so to go, we are looking at Modano finishing up with a season of around 22-23 goals....42-43 assists and maybe he gets his plus/minus down to around even. And that's if everything goes right.

If it doesn't go as planned and Dallas continues to struggle, which is not out of the question, I know its blasphemous to say, but Modano could end up with a 55-59 point total. Dunno about y'all, but that just doesn't seem right.....a MikeyMo final season stat line looking something like this: 19-37-56 with a -10 plus/minus. I know its hard to believe folks that an elite player still in his prime like Modano still is IMO could end up with numbers like that , but unless Modano has a very very monsterish second half, those are the stats he's looking at and thus why he's my suprise bust of the year to this point of the year.

It could turn around but we'll see. BTW: I also agree with the guys who mentioned Kovalev and Thornton. Their goal scoring #'s are absolutaly putrid for guys with their skill levels......Anyways, great discussion so far......

-Maxie

Old
12-23-2003, 07:29 PM
Team_Spirit
#FireTherrien

vCash: 915
i agree with you , but when i talk of Chistov it's not like he was a rookie . He played and 4rounds in playoffs .

Old
12-23-2003, 08:04 PM
Alex Kovalev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koltsov71
Alexei Kovalev

I beat you to it, unfortunately.

Old
12-23-2003, 08:18 PM
#37-#93-#27*

Send a message via AIM to #37-#93-#27*
Mario Lemieux

Old
12-23-2003, 08:31 PM
Unthinkable

vCash:
Surprise Bust Of The Year?

Kate Hudson preggers...

Who would have thought it?

Old
12-23-2003, 09:48 PM
DaMick
at least we got D

Send a message via MSN to DaMick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koltsov71
Alexei Kovalev
my words exactly..more so than modano...

hes looking like the guy the rangers traded away before...

Old
12-24-2003, 03:52 AM
Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by #37-#93-#27
Mario Lemieux
Yeah Mario has busted obviously but its "injury related" and was thinking about studly type players who have busted suprisingly. Even if injuries were to be a consideration, is it really a suprise that Mario is hurt...eh? Obviously not.

Hmmm.....looks like Kovalev is starting to creep up the list as his year has been pretty darn bad. DaMick pretty much hit it on the head describing Kovalev as the guy who the Rangers originally dealt away. And just think, there is no Colin Campbell to blame this time....hehe

-Maxie

Old
12-24-2003, 04:08 AM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

A little early for a bust of the year thread isn't it? Early season disappointments maybe, but I'll wait until the end of the season before I write-off a guy like Mike Modano. A few games in row like he had against Carolina and the outlook will suddenly look a whole lot brighter for him, and the Stars team. As for Turco, I think he's actually played pretty well of the late. I look for the Stars to turn the corner soon. As for who I would pick as an early season "bust", I would have to go with either Brad Richards or Miro Satan.

Old
12-24-2003, 04:57 AM
Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger
A little early for a bust of the year thread isn't it? Early season disappointments maybe, but I'll wait until the end of the season before I write-off a guy like Mike Modano. A few games in row like he had against Carolina and the outlook will suddenly look a whole lot brighter for him, and the Stars team. As for Turco, I think he's actually played pretty well of the late. I look for the Stars to turn the corner soon. As for who I would pick as an early season "bust", I would have to go with either Brad Richards or Miro Satan.

Didn't notice anyone, including myself, "writing off" Modano for the rest of the year. Merely was stating that THUS FAR....AT THIS POINT OF THE SEASON, Modano has had, in my opinion, the worst performance of any "studly" type of player.....that's all. But as I stated in the my earlier post, Modano really is going to have to turn it up a couple of notches, in order to even flirt with the 70 pt mark which for him, is pretty darn miserable.

But I never mentioned writing him off or anything like that as its certainly possible that Modano can get back to his usual pt per game pace and so we'll see.

Oh and by the way, couldn't agree with you more about your Brad Richards nomination. He's another guy who one can pretty much write it in the book, will be good for 65 or so points and yet if he continues at the pace he's currently on, Richards will be fortuante to approach the 50 pt plateau which for him is pretty abysmal. But, he, like Modano, is another guy who can easily go on a very nice point scoring run though it would be more likely if Tampa can figure out a way to score more than 1-2 goals a game....ya think?.....

-Max

Closed Thread