HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Phoenix LXXIII: "This Space Available"

Closed Thread

Old
03-22-2013, 04:23 PM
Confucius

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu View Post
Ban all Leafs fans?

Between leaf fans and leaf haters there isn't much left

Love you too

Old
03-22-2013, 04:25 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mork View Post
The Blue Jays have already pushed the Leafs off the dial just with spring training games.
Yep. Someone oughtta call in the CDC. Hazmat team brought in to hose down the ACC and expunge all the Leaf & Raptor
Loser Cooties. Disinfect the joint. Billy the Exterminator. Make an episode out of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu View Post
Ban all Leafs fans?
Most of us have serious social & drinking problems & wind up getting banned anyway. Dont worry or even feel the least bit guilty when revoking our Memberships. We live with being refused service in bars & restaurants. Denied boarding privileges on aeroplanes n' whatnot. For life. Really, its OK.

Last edited by Killion: 03-22-2013 at 06:29 PM.
Old
03-22-2013, 06:13 PM
KevyD
Make It 30!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mork View Post
The Blue Jays have already pushed the Leafs off the dial just with spring training games.

If someone throws a no-hitter or the team does really well early on, it will be "Leafs who"?
Oh, come on Mork... you can't be serious.

Old
03-22-2013, 06:20 PM
Llama19

vCash: 1100
Glendale's projections are a little shy, and employees are leaving at a record pace, even with our tax increase...

The high profile of everything sports is killing us...

"Mayor Jerry Weiers warned his colleagues that difficult decisions lie ahead. “We’ve got a lot of issues that are coming before us that aren’t even included in the budget,” he said.

Among the more high-profile matters are the future of the Phoenix Coyotes and the management of Jobing.com Arena, a possible deal to lure the Arizona Cardinals from Flagstaff for summer training camp and the need to fill the city manager’s post and other top jobs."

I doubt the upcoming community meetings will have the Coyotes on the 'budget' list of items to save.

Source:

http://www.azcentral.com/community/g...ojections.html

Old
03-22-2013, 07:21 PM
TheLegend
Megathread Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llama19 View Post
Glendale's projections are a little shy, and employees are leaving at a record pace, even with our tax increase...

"Mayor Jerry Weiers warned his colleagues that difficult decisions lie ahead. “We’ve got a lot of issues that are coming before us that aren’t even included in the budget,” he said.

Among the more high-profile matters are the future of the Phoenix Coyotes and the management of Jobing.com Arena, a possible deal to lure the Arizona Cardinals from Flagstaff for summer training camp and the need to fill the city manager’s post and other top jobs."

I doubt the upcoming community meetings will have the Coyotes on the 'budget' list of items to save.

Source:

Interesting that Emperor Weiers never mentioned these things in the his very rosy "state of the city" speech a few weeks ago??

Old
03-22-2013, 07:26 PM
TheLegend
Megathread Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whileee View Post
Hence... the evil genius mad-cap fans at Winnipeg's MTS Centre chanting "Let's Go Blue Jays", to rub salt in the Leafs' wounds as the Jets beat them in Winnipeg last week. Pretty dastardly, don't you think?
Well I have a good response for Leafs fans (if they're willing ).

When the Leafs beat the Jets in Toronto next time they can chant "Let's Go Thrashers!!"

Old
03-22-2013, 07:44 PM
aqib

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whileee View Post
Hence... the evil genius mad-cap fans at Winnipeg's MTS Centre chanting "Let's Go Blue Jays", to rub salt in the Leafs' wounds as the Jets beat them in Winnipeg last week. Pretty dastardly, don't you think?
Didn't anyone tell that the chant is: OK! BLUE JAYS! LETS! PLAY! BALL!

Old
03-22-2013, 08:08 PM
Mightygoose
I Am Groot

vCash: 514
Agenda for March 26 meetings.

http://www.glendaleaz.com/Clerk/agen...nts/032613.pdf

No RFP or anything Coyotes related.

Check back in '2 weeks'

Old
03-22-2013, 08:35 PM
aqib

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightygoose View Post

Check back in '2 weeks'
its called a fortnight

Old
03-22-2013, 11:13 PM
KingBogo
Admitted Homer

vCash: 1345
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLegend View Post

When the Leafs beat the Jets in Toronto next time they can chant "Let's Go Thrashers!!"
But really that is not that clever. Much better, which was started tonight in the upper bowl during our 6-1 loss to the Caps, but didn't catch any traction was lets go Goldeyes. Goldeyes are the name of our Independent league baseball team (approx AA ball) who won their championship last season.

Old
03-23-2013, 04:17 AM
XX
... Waiting

Glendale brass won't go quietly in the night. Emperor Weiers having some trouble getting rid of Tindall and Skeete.

Quote:
The Glendale City Council has discovered that cleaning house is more difficult than just telling top-level city employees to resign.

The city attorney and acting manager have refused to go away quietly, or at least go away cheaply. They have demanded they be offered five- and six-figure pay-and-benefit packages before they agree to walk.

City Attorney Craig Tindall wants six months of pay and insurance.

Acting City Manager Horatio Skeete wants to return to his previous lower-tier job or to merely stay on the books for 15 months so he can retire with a full slate of accrued benefits.

The council has been in negotiations with both and is expected to vote on the matters Tuesday.
http://www.azcentral.com/community/g...isnt-easy.html

Old
03-23-2013, 08:33 AM
Whileee

Quote:

That's too obvious. They should try the chant that was going at the MTS Centre last night, as the Jets stank the joint out for a second straight night - "Let's go Bombers!" The trick is to switch sports. It would be like chanting "Let's Go Cardinals" or "Let's Go Sunns" at a Coyotes game where they are doing poorly.

Old
03-23-2013, 08:34 AM
Whileee

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqib View Post
Didn't anyone tell that the chant is: OK! BLUE JAYS! LETS! PLAY! BALL!
Not many baseball fans at the MTS Centre, I guess.

Old
03-23-2013, 08:38 AM
metalfoot
Karlsson!

Darn, I miss Tom Cheek. Oh, wait, this is the Phoenix thread? Right. Thanks to the folks from Glendale who indicated that the health of some businesses at Westgate was negatively impacted by the lock-out.

So, what is Glendale doing to look for other possible anchor tenants should the NHL make like a thief in the night (or the Baltimore Colts, your mileage may vary) and head for more northerly climes?

Old
03-23-2013, 09:44 AM
OthmarAmmann
Money making machine

Quote:

Source:

Imagine if GJ had just closed the deal with the sugar daddy city turning out to be a rotten pumpkin instead.

Old
03-23-2013, 09:44 AM
Llama19

vCash: 1100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightygoose View Post

Check back in '2 weeks'
This is somewhat of an important vote...

Glendale council to vote on $400 per hour contract to hire Coyotes, arena consultant

"The Glendale City Council is scheduled to vote next Tuesday on whether to pay a Boston-based sports investment firm a $25,000 retainer and $400 per hour to help it with the Phoenix Coyotes ownership saga and the future of Jobing.com Arena."

Source:

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/n...n-400-per.html

(Agenda for March 26 - 21. REPRESENTATION AGREEMENT WITH BEACON SPORTS CAPITAL PARTNERS, LLC)

Last edited by Llama19: 03-23-2013 at 10:16 AM. Reason: Added reference to specific agenda item
Old
03-23-2013, 10:12 AM
mesamonster

The lack of any coyote related agenda items is yet another indicator that the party in Glendale is over! The Mayors hooded innuendos regarding budget and city management issues are his code words for, "life in Glendale is going to get worse not better!" The Coyote subsidies are a dead agenda item, now it is up to the league, do they want to sign on for another season of massive losses, low team morale and apathy amongst their fan base? I dont think there is any coincidence that as the season enters the final 20 games and no probability of a new owner, that all involved are playing out the string! It would not surprise me if the team finishes last in the Western conference as the players and coaches recognize the futility of their situation. As always, the blame belongs squarely on the shoulders of GB who choreographed this debacle with artful deceptions of potential buyers etc. BTW, has anyone seen or heard from the Clowns lately?

Old
03-23-2013, 10:19 AM
mesamonster

Quote:
This is somewhat of an important vote...

Glendale council to vote on $400 per hour contract to hire Coyotes, arena consultant

"The Glendale City Council is scheduled to vote next Tuesday on whether to pay a Boston-based sports investment firm a $25,000 retainer and $400 per hour to help it with the Phoenix Coyotes ownership saga and the future of Jobing.com Arena."

Source:

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/n...n-400-per.html
More money wasted by the COG Council! Have they not figured out that as long as the asking price is at least $100MM too high, and the arena is located in an inaccessible area that this is a business with no future? Amazing the naivete of all parties involved, four years of tire kickers, each reviewing economic fundamentals that were far superior to those that exist today, and they all said NO! Why would tomorrow be any better than yesterday?

Old
03-23-2013, 10:39 AM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesamonster View Post
As always, the blame belongs squarely on the shoulders of GB who choreographed this debacle with artful deceptions of potential buyers etc.
Who's Zoomin Who? I give the fans in Az & certainly most observers far more credit than that, to have ever really bought into any artful deceptions. People are far more intelligent than that. Saw/see right through any kind of facile attempts at manipulation. Impossible not to smell what was cooking in those kitchens. Bettman clearly believed a deal could get done. The manner in which he's gone about it absolutely appalling, just handled dreadfully really since the fall of 2008, gaping holes left in the proxy's Moyes was signatory to, just on & on. Zilch in the way of critical thought. But hey, why do anything half assed when whole assed can be so much more satisfying?...

yepp. And now Sisters Are Doin for it Themselves.

Old
03-23-2013, 11:02 AM
DopeyFish

vCash: 50
Quote:

Fun fact: it's a leafs fan chant to show disgust - http://youtube.com/watch?v=RH8fi9zK7UA (from last year)

We have been doing it for a few years now

Old
03-23-2013, 11:55 AM
mesamonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
Who's Zoomin Who? I give the fans in Az & certainly most observers far more credit than that, to have ever really bought into any artful deceptions. People are far more intelligent than that. Saw/see right through any kind of facile attempts at manipulation. Impossible not to smell what was cooking in those kitchens. Bettman clearly believed a deal could get done. The manner in which he's gone about it absolutely appalling, just handled dreadfully really since the fall of 2008, gaping holes left in the proxy's Moyes was signatory to, just on & on. Zilch in the way of critical thought. But hey, why do anything half assed when whole assed can be so much more satisfying?...

yepp. And now Sisters Are Doin for it Themselves.
Said perfectly!!! precisely why I believe this mess was GB home cooking gone horribly wrong! For a guy who is supposed to be so bright how could he have missed all of the obvious signs of trouble, even ignored signs of trouble. His turning a blind eye to the red flags tells me he knew of them yet chose to forge ahead with deceit! How in the world could he have ever thought GJ had the money? GJ stood behind the curtain that was erected by GB! He seemed to infer,"no worries, I have told Mr. Bettman who my investors are and he is happy with my group!" Well reality was that he never had a group! Ask yourself K, given the economic metrics, a lack of a true business plan and investor RFP, what self respecting business man would have thought twice about such an outlandish investment? The answer is nobody even gave this thing a second look! Recall, Greg Jamison the few times he spoke publicly about his bid. He offered next to nothing, other than, "we are making progress". Please, the mans posture and speaking demeanor portrayed something quite different than his words!

As for the groups before him, they did nothing more than indicate a fleeting interest. MH, put the escrow money down for a deal that had no way of passing the scrutiny of a third grader! He exited quietly and swiftly, if you recall! The Ice Clowns? They would have had difficulty purchasing the Zamboni! Let this dog die, it was kept alive by virtue of baling wire and hope, both are now gone!

Old
03-23-2013, 12:51 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Said perfectly!!! precisely why I believe this mess was GB home cooking gone horribly wrong! For a guy who is supposed to be so bright how could he have missed all of the obvious signs of trouble, even ignored signs of trouble. His turning a blind eye to the red flags tells me he knew of them yet chose to forge ahead with deceit! ... GJ stood behind the curtain that was erected by GB! Well reality was that he never had a group! Ask yourself K, given the economic metrics, a lack of a true business plan and investor RFP, what self respecting business man would have thought twice about such an outlandish investment?
Aha!, now heres where it gets interesting. We've already agreed that people are bright, astute enough to see through whatever hypothetical charade might or might not be being played. I think instead what people have done is to over-estimate Bettmans intelligence, assigning much more heft to it than actually exists mesa! That he's some sort of Machiavellian Seer. Consciously, subconsciously, subliminally or otherwise engaged in some nefarious plot where none exists. He just doesnt know what he's doing, and between all 30 BOG's there isnt enough sulphur in terms of critical thought & vision to spark a match!... I mean honestly? 2005 crafts a CBA with a CAP, strolls around like Napolean Bonaparte at Waterloo dictating the terms of HIS surrender, convinces the World the enemy lost, failing to put term limits on Contracts, whole thing collapses like a cheap cardboard suitcase in the rain. And so what does he do? Just goes out and buys another one. Some piece of Chinese made crap from a WalMart end-isle display hoping it lasts until 2020!

Now, I happen to know for a fact, and no I cant reveal sources you can believe it or not, whatever, take it as flat out spec or opinion, that Im a sociopathic liar if you wish, water off a Ducks, but yes, Jamison did have investors lined up. However, he was short of the mark, not by much on the asking price but certainly with requirements that the buyer have cash reserves or credit facilities available of at least 50% of the purchase price at their disposal to cover operating costs moving forward, forgetaboutit. Not even close. Rosy optimistic plan that once acquired, modest turnarounds & increasing revenues would then be attractive to further investment. The initial purchase & operational costs held together by Glendales AMF's, Revenue Sharing proceeds & so on. Basically a ScotchTape job, inching away until they had enough Shekels to buy some duct tape & glue, eventually hammers & nails, some 4X8's of ply n' whatnot.

Old
03-23-2013, 01:09 PM
JimAnchower

Quote:

As for the groups before him, they did nothing more than indicate a fleeting interest. MH, put the escrow money down for a deal that had no way of passing the scrutiny of a third grader! He exited quietly and swiftly, if you recall! The Ice Clowns? They would have had difficulty purchasing the Zamboni! Let this dog die, it was kept alive by virtue of baling wire and hope, both are now gone!
How does the NHL allow people who don't have the money even get to the negotiating table? Few people, if anyone, thinks Jamison or Ice Edge ever got close to raising enough to meet the asking price (even if the asking price is insane). Certainly, neither have the personal funds to get a deal done. With Hulhizer, his net worth was estimated to be between $300 million and "a number that would dwarf the Reinsdorf's (which is about $300 million)" back when he was first connected to the Coyotes. However, it seems he isn't worth $300 million. The NHL terminated his Blues ownership bid because of the complicated financing involved. Later, rumors started to circulate that he couldn't even raise his share of $40 million for the purchase. Time will tell if ever gets connected to another purchase, but it seems he was just another wannabe.

Old
03-23-2013, 01:39 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimAnchower View Post
How does the NHL allow people who don't have the money even get to the negotiating table?
Ya, and thats been the story pretty much since Jerry Reinsdorf took his leave. Absolutely mindblowing that the NHL wouldnt have exercised complete & thorough due diligence in pre-qualifying potential buyers irrespective of the largesse all have sought from the City of Glendale. The league clearly complicit, already direct recipients of maximum, beyond the pale extortionary subsidies from the municipality for the pleasure of retaining their team.

The candidates in each case beyond capable financially of their own accord to even be real owners of real stand alone franchises elsewhere. Hulsizers convolutions in Missouri with Checketts were beyond sleazy, displacing Stillmans group, actually costing the league money in propping up the franchise for several months between showing Hulsizer the door & finally consummating a sale. Jamison is an Inside Man, a facilitator, a fixer of sorts, but no, Im certain he was on the up & up. Just couldnt get the financing together.

I cant help but think that Bettman orchestrated the entire charade in 2010-11 though, re-directing Matthew Hulsizer to St. Louis, knowing he didnt have the Jam to close, doing so only to alibi himself should anyone ever attack him for enabling the guys' (and formerly IEH) Moon Shot of a bid for the Coyotes. That he was a serious player. Enthusiastic yes. Serious. No. How do you get rejected in St.Louis with all the goodies that went with that purchase, a non-hurtin unit pretty much but tight, lower sticker price, 46yrs of history, but your acceptable to the NHL as owner of the biggest nightmare of a franchise on the Continent?

Last edited by Killion: 03-23-2013 at 01:44 PM.
Old
03-23-2013, 03:38 PM
Confucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
Ya, and thats been the story pretty much since Jerry Reinsdorf took his leave. Absolutely mindblowing that the NHL wouldnt have exercised complete & thorough due diligence in pre-qualifying potential buyers irrespective of the largesse all have sought from the City of Glendale. The league clearly complicit, already direct recipients of maximum, beyond the pale extortionary subsidies from the municipality for the pleasure of retaining their team.

The candidates in each case beyond capable financially of their own accord to even be real owners of real stand alone franchises elsewhere. Hulsizers convolutions in Missouri with Checketts were beyond sleazy, displacing Stillmans group, actually costing the league money in propping up the franchise for several months between showing Hulsizer the door & finally consummating a sale. Jamison is an Inside Man, a facilitator, a fixer of sorts, but no, Im certain he was on the up & up. Just couldnt get the financing together.

I cant help but think that Bettman orchestrated the entire charade in 2010-11 though, re-directing Matthew Hulsizer to St. Louis, knowing he didnt have the Jam to close, doing so only to alibi himself should anyone ever attack him for enabling the guys' (and formerly IEH) Moon Shot of a bid for the Coyotes. That he was a serious player. Enthusiastic yes. Serious. No. How do you get rejected in St.Louis with all the goodies that went with that purchase, a non-hurtin unit pretty much but tight, lower sticker price, 46yrs of history, but your acceptable to the NHL as owner of the biggest nightmare of a franchise on the Continent?
I'll read the post later but for now I have to say your avator is pretty funny. Ticked off at everybody are you?
Too bad the cat isn't walking the opposite way.

Closed Thread