HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Why are habs fans so pessimistic/critical??

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-23-2013, 09:03 AM
  #76
Craig71
Registered User
 
Craig71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 6,542
vCash: 500
Every fanbase is like us, except for the fact that theres more of us around to complain.

Craig71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 09:10 AM
  #77
Whitesnake
Sailing Habs
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 56,303
vCash: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig71 View Post
Every fanbase is like us, except for the fact that theres more of us around to complain.
This is also a simple but very good point. Makes me laugh everytime I read how bad we are compared to the others and yet, you have a feeling that the ones saying that just never took the time to see if that was real.

Whitesnake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 09:11 AM
  #78
bsl
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 5,475
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
Its the nature of hardcore sports fans, and it applies to everyone, not just montreal.

Unless you go 82-0-0 followed by 16-0, there will be griping going on at some point in the season. These fans demand perfection in a profession where perfection has never been achieved.
This is like totally wrong. This post is just totally, completely, so like, 100%, perfectly, astonishingly, amazingly, wrong. F.

bsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 09:14 AM
  #79
bsl
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 5,475
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAD HABSFAN View Post
i find it ironic that for as long as i can remember the fans are our teams worst enemy. i remember back in '93 how hard the fans were on roy and when he grabs the cup it almost seems like he curses the fans out [my speculation on his facial features as he yells something]. the year theo wins vezina i remember he was having average game and in a quiet moment a fan yelling down at him. its like WTF???

I was on another site and they were asking about what disapoints them this year?? really?? disappoints?? we are closer to 1st then 8th and they want to know whats disappointing??
You know what? Who the **** are you to tell me how to be a fan of the Montreal Canadiens?

And our fans are our worst enemy? I disagree. I attended at least 40 games at the Forum in the seventies and eighties, and we had the warmest, most knowledgeable and classiest fans in all of sports. We were a huge support to the team, and the forum was famous for its silent, intense, knowledgeable watching, and then sudden, very, very loud, massive ovations for good plays and goals. It used to scare our opponents.

Habs fans are their worst enemy? You could not be more wrong, and it is hugely insulting to long time fans of this team, french, english, or other, to say so.

Again. who the **** are you? Who do you think you are? Are you like 20 years old? Get back in your box, please. Show some respect for posters here and fans of this team.


Last edited by bsl: 03-23-2013 at 09:41 AM.
bsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 09:24 AM
  #80
TennisMenace
Registered User
 
TennisMenace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Buffalo
Country: United States
Posts: 1,746
vCash: 500
I expect pessimism for these two reasons:
1. If u r a Habs fan and around 30 years of age, u have never really enjoyed much success at all to feel confident.
2. If you are over 55 like me, u remember the way the blueprint was drawn up that worked and allowed for us to be so successful. It ain't like these present teams.

TennisMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 11:22 AM
  #81
rafal majka
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Country: Japan
Posts: 899
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
You would have a legitimate gripe if Boullion was playing in the top pairing.

However, he is not.

Your legitimate gripe has now transformed into whining.

What do you want Therrien to do? Cut his ice time? Press box him? Why the whining? I am curious.
I would have a legitimate gripe if Bouillon was getting plenty of PP time but had nothing to show for it...

And your defense of Bouillon's and Therrien's bromance has now transformed into sycophancy.

rafal majka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 12:03 PM
  #82
KerryFraser
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 275
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAD HABSFAN View Post
i find it ironic that for as long as i can remember the fans are our teams worst enemy. i remember back in '93 how hard the fans were on roy and when he grabs the cup it almost seems like he curses the fans out [my speculation on his facial features as he yells something]. the year theo wins vezina i remember he was having average game and in a quiet moment a fan yelling down at him. its like WTF???

I was on another site and they were asking about what disapoints them this year?? really?? disappoints?? we are closer to 1st then 8th and they want to know whats disappointing??
He said at that time when he lifted the cup¨I'm going to Disney World¨. No curse there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I'm_going_to_Disney_World!

KerryFraser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 02:42 PM
  #83
Lshap
Moderator
 
Lshap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,706
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsl View Post
12 cups in the first 30 years of my life, and none the next 20?

And no, I don't expect a cup every 3 years, but one every 10 would be ok. Face it, the Habs have sucked for way too long and deserve criticisms, and older fans can be expected not to get their hopes up.

I love this year's team, (I love every Habs team) but what's wrong with pointing out a few flaws when it comes to our ability to win a cup? After all, having seen them live winning about 8 of them, I can judge what it takes.

And it's not just cups. It's being a very good club over long periods, in contention talk year after year. We just have not been in that group since 1994. Inexcusable.
Have to be honest - I have very little sympathy for guys like you, around my age, who feel let down by the Habs because they've denied you your Cup. I've seen all the Cups that you have, but I live in the present, with 30 teams and a salary cap. Having high standards is great, but basing them on the 1970s is futile. Whether you and I accept it or not, there is no winning DNA attached to the Canadiens anymore, because not a single person remains from the Habs of the 70s, 80s or 90s. Our team has nothing in common with those dynasty years except the jersey. Like every other team, we are subject to the same ratio of smart and stupid decisions, and we're beholden to the same good and bad bounces that often determine a series. Sucks to be like everyone else. You call it "inexcusable", I call it reality.

It might be hard to digest, but the Habs are on a totally level playing field with 29 other teams. This doesn't excuse the poor management decisions (paging Mr. Houle) but it recognizes that the Habs don't manufacture widgets on an assembly line; they deal in people who are subject to injuries, moods, motivations, work ethics and learning curves, where even the smart personnel decisions don't always work out. There've been some dumb moves by the Habs over the past 20 years, but let's not forget that half the teams have never won even one Cup, and even Boston and Chicago have won only one Cup each over the past few decades. Or would you rather have been a Rangers or Leafs fan? Yeah, I get pihssed when our GM or coach does something I believe is stupid, but blaming them for not living up to my 40-year-old memories is ridiculous.

I became a Habs fan by watching my idols. I'm still a huge fan, except now I'm watching kids. Times change, the league has changed. Anyone who expects today's Habs to live up to expectations of yesterday's Habs will forever be disappointed.

Lshap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 02:46 PM
  #84
No Team Needed
Registered User
 
No Team Needed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: essex
Posts: 4,524
vCash: 500
Sam Pollock rigs the expansion system to the Canadiens benefit and the team goes on to dominate the 70s.

There's your reason why the Canadiens cannot be as dominant as they were again.

Just read THE GREAT EXPANSION by Lowetide.ca: http://lowetide.ca/blog/2012/09/the-...ion-vol-1.html

No Team Needed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 04:45 PM
  #85
ryanwb
Registered User
 
ryanwb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Country: Canada
Posts: 863
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lshap View Post
I became a Habs fan by watching my idols. I'm still a huge fan, except now I'm watching kids. Times change, the league has changed. Anyone who expects today's Habs to live up to expectations of yesterday's Habs will forever be disappointed.
I think this is a fair point, but I also think it is what is missing from today's teams. Our team should not hope to win every game, they should EXPECT to win every game. Today's NHL might certainly be different, but to be an elite team, you have to have a certain amount of swagger.

This franchise used to pride itself on how dominant it was perceived to be, and more often than not, they backed that up with their play on the ice. There were no excuses for lack of effort, or poor results, and just because the league has changed that doesn't mean the player's mentality should with it. Losing is absolutely unacceptable and this franchise needs to get that killer instinct back.

ryanwb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 05:06 PM
  #86
icerocket
Registered User
 
icerocket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Atlantis
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,694
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsl View Post
12 cups in the first 30 years of my life, and none the next 20?

And no, I don't expect a cup every 3 years, but one every 10 would be ok. Face it, the Habs have sucked for way too long and deserve criticisms, and older fans can be expected not to get their hopes up.

I love this year's team, (I love every Habs team) but what's wrong with pointing out a few flaws when it comes to our ability to win a cup? After all, having seen them live winning about 8 of them, I can judge what it takes.

And it's not just cups. It's being a very good club over long periods, in contention talk year after year. We just have not been in that group since 1994. Inexcusable.
Typical baby boomer mentality. Had everything handed to them and cries when it stops.

"Bawwww I've only seen 12 SC wins!"

icerocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 05:15 PM
  #87
HABSonaroll
Registered User
 
HABSonaroll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Country: Canada
Posts: 331
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig71 View Post
Every fanbase is like us, except for the fact that theres more of us around to complain.
X2

HABSonaroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 05:26 PM
  #88
Kimota
CONTROL THE BEAST
 
Kimota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: La Vieille Capitale
Country: France
Posts: 23,787
vCash: 500
Cause we want to win like the 90s Red Wings, not to win like the last ten years Red Wings.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 05:31 PM
  #89
Teufelsdreck
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 15,730
vCash: 500
If you think about it, the tankards are the worst complainers on this board because they're willing to lose for a number of years in the hope of expediting the next Cup win by outdrafting everyone else. They don't seem to grasp that their formula guarantees nothing because it doesn't take into account what other teams do, such as trading or signing free agents in addition to drafting. None of the Habs' Cup winners after 1979 had the best lineup in the NHL at the beginning of a season. Now that the Habs stand at 20-5-5 we don't hear much from them.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 05:46 PM
  #90
Lshap
Moderator
 
Lshap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,706
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanwb View Post
I think this is a fair point, but I also think it is what is missing from today's teams. Our team should not hope to win every game, they should EXPECT to win every game. Today's NHL might certainly be different, but to be an elite team, you have to have a certain amount of swagger.

This franchise used to pride itself on how dominant it was perceived to be, and more often than not, they backed that up with their play on the ice. There were no excuses for lack of effort, or poor results, and just because the league has changed that doesn't mean the player's mentality should with it. Losing is absolutely unacceptable and this franchise needs to get that killer instinct back.
Hey, I agree with you 100%. What you're describing is a level of compete that every professional is expected to bring for every single game. In that spirit, I expect the Habs to give 100% when they compete against the other 29 teams.

However, I don't expect the Habs to be competing with their own 40-year-old ghosts.

Lshap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 05:56 PM
  #91
Darth Joker
Registered User
 
Darth Joker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,802
vCash: 500
For the past 20 years, the team has endured a lot of horrible management. Houle was a complete disaster. Savard was Ok, but nothing special. Gainey was decent at first but did some absolutely crazy things in the latter parts of his tenure. Gauthier made some nice trades but ran the team like a total gong show.

Then there's the fact that this team has been plagued with a fair number of "Murphy's Law" seasons when it comes to injuries.

I think that we Habs fans have almost been conditioned to expect the worst, and hence are always be on the lookout for the "next shoe to drop". The Montreal media atmosphere definitely doesn't help. All of this creates a certain taste of negativity, just dancing on our tongues.

I think it'll take a couple years of us near/at the top of the league (including with good playoff runs) and/or a Stanley Cup before the "taste" of all of this is removed from our mouths, and replaced with a more confident optimism.


Plus, there's this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
Too many people here are fans of certain players before they are fans of the Canadiens.

This phenomenon leads to an inordinate amount of whining. Despite the Habs winning a game, there are complaints because "Player X" only got so much ice time while another Habs player got more. In their minds, the coach is doing an injustice to their favorite player.......even if the Habs win.

I have posted on NFL and MLB message boards. This board is the only place that I see this much of player before team so often.

Edit.......the Boullion bash post above is a great example of what I was referring to.
To be fair, there are legitimate criticisms to be made about the coach sometimes playing favorites.

But I've noticed that some fans latch on really hard to specific players and are not happy unless those players are getting lots of ice time and is personally doing well.

Darth Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 06:04 PM
  #92
Davebo*
BeepBeep!
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,045
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
Too many people here are fans of certain players before they are fans of the Canadiens.

This phenomenon leads to an inordinate amount of whining. Despite the Habs winning a game, there are complaints because "Player X" only got so much ice time while another Habs player got more. In their minds, the coach is doing an injustice to their favorite player.......even if the Habs win.

I have posted on NFL and MLB message boards. This board is the only place that I see this much of player before team so often.

Edit.......the Boullion bash post above is a great example of what I was referring to.

Holy. Crap.

Perfect case of the pot calling the kettle black.

Here's a poster that's gone mental because we signed a player to address a current need (Halpern) - but he goes off the deep end crying about how we should have picked up Parros instead. Even though Parros wasn't waived....

Davebo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 06:14 PM
  #93
Out East
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Halifax NS
Country: Canada
Posts: 133
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAD HABSFAN View Post
i find it ironic that for as long as i can remember the fans are our teams worst enemy. i remember back in '93 how hard the fans were on roy and when he grabs the cup it almost seems like he curses the fans out [my speculation on his facial features as he yells something]. the year theo wins vezina i remember he was having average game and in a quiet moment a fan yelling down at him. its like WTF???

I was on another site and they were asking about what disapoints them this year?? really?? disappoints?? we are closer to 1st then 8th and they want to know whats disappointing??
The happy grateful fans are too busy enjoying life to be on here constantly complaining... so you don't hear from them...

Out East is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 06:17 PM
  #94
Lshap
Moderator
 
Lshap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,706
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Out East View Post
The happy grateful fans are too busy enjoying life to be on here constantly complaining... so you don't hear from them...
How can you be away from here and enjoying life? Please explain.


Last edited by Lshap: 03-23-2013 at 06:27 PM.
Lshap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 06:34 PM
  #95
Out East
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Halifax NS
Country: Canada
Posts: 133
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lshap View Post
How can you be away from here and enjoying life? Please explain.
Who said I was one of the happy fans...?

Out East is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 06:37 PM
  #96
ryanwb
Registered User
 
ryanwb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Country: Canada
Posts: 863
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lshap View Post
Hey, I agree with you 100%. What you're describing is a level of compete that every professional is expected to bring for every single game. In that spirit, I expect the Habs to give 100% when they compete against the other 29 teams.

However, I don't expect the Habs to be competing with their own 40-year-old ghosts.
It's not just about compete level though. It's much more than that. It's a mentality. It's not playing down to your opponents, but making them play UP to your level. It's thinking you are the better team because you are. I feel that the franchise has lost a little bit of it's identity. You think the Rocket would have let us lose 2 times to a team like the Islanders this season? Not a chance. He would have willed us to a win any way possible. That's what I mean. Not effort, because effort only does so much. It's their attitude, and their expectations of themselves and the team. There is no one on this roster who has that type of attitude, and if they do, it certainly doesn't show like it should.

I want a team that goes out every night and doesn't just expect to win, but expects to blow the other team out of the water. That's what the players playing for this franchise should expect every single night.

ryanwb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 06:41 PM
  #97
Out East
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Halifax NS
Country: Canada
Posts: 133
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanwb View Post
It's not just about compete level though. It's much more than that. It's a mentality. It's not playing down to your opponents, but making them play UP to your level. It's thinking you are the better team because you are. I feel that the franchise has lost a little bit of it's identity. You think the Rocket would have let us lose 2 times to a team like the Islanders this season? Not a chance. He would have willed us to a win any way possible. That's what I mean. Not effort, because effort only does so much. It's their attitude, and their expectations of themselves and the team. There is no one on this roster who has that type of attitude, and if they do, it certainly doesn't show like it should.

I want a team that goes out every night and doesn't just expect to win, but expects to blow the other team out of the water. That's what the players playing for this franchise should expect every single night.
No disrespect but that is fantasy land talk. Do you perform at your maximum all the time? There are people not robots or super heroes.

Out East is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 07:00 PM
  #98
ryanwb
Registered User
 
ryanwb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Country: Canada
Posts: 863
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Out East View Post
No disrespect but that is fantasy land talk. Do you perform at your maximum all the time? There are people not robots or super heroes.
Maybe so, but that type of mentality has always been what has set us apart from the rest of the league. We have a storied history and we should play like we expect to continue that history, not just settle for taking the Bruins to game 7, or making the Eastern Conference finals. That might be good enough for 29 other teams in the league, but not this one.

Now, I am a realist and understand how times and things have changed, but the fans of this team only deserve the best. They deserve a team that plays a way that would make their predecessors proud.

ryanwb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 07:13 PM
  #99
Craig71
Registered User
 
Craig71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 6,542
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
This is also a simple but very good point. Makes me laugh everytime I read how bad we are compared to the others and yet, you have a feeling that the ones saying that just never took the time to see if that was real.
For such a long time, every franchise in the NHL wanted to be us, they emulated our style, hired our former players, heck the Russians considered us to be hockey royalty and to great extent it shaped the way they played, they were fast,clean and full of skill and even regarded Bob Gainey to be the best player in the world. Most of our glory was pre 1980, leaving our youngest fans to only hear about and not live the success. It is tough to keep winning in the fashion which we did so easily in the 70s, more teams, and mostly in our case the culprit has been poor management and player development. I hope that Molson and MB and those assembled can restore the winning ways to the Bell center which struck fear in those who faced us in the immortal forum. I have new hope with what I have seen so far, I see good things ahead for us, lets not be pessimistic. After all is said and done we can be positive in the fact that our jersey is not blue and white with a Leaf on the front. GO HABS GO!!!

Craig71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 07:36 PM
  #100
Out East
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Halifax NS
Country: Canada
Posts: 133
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig71 View Post
For such a long time, every franchise in the NHL wanted to be us, they emulated our style, hired our former players, heck the Russians considered us to be hockey royalty and to great extent it shaped the way they played, they were fast,clean and full of skill and even regarded Bob Gainey to be the best player in the world. Most of our glory was pre 1980, leaving our youngest fans to only hear about and not live the success. It is tough to keep winning in the fashion which we did so easily in the 70s, more teams, and mostly in our case the culprit has been poor management and player development. I hope that Molson and MB and those assembled can restore the winning ways to the Bell center which struck fear in those who faced us in the immortal forum. I have new hope with what I have seen so far, I see good things ahead for us, lets not be pessimistic. After all is said and done we can be positive in the fact that our jersey is not blue and white with a Leaf on the front. GO HABS GO!!!

Out East is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:12 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2016 All Rights Reserved.