HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

The Process of Trading Jarome Iginla Has Begun - Part 2

Closed Thread

Old
03-23-2013, 04:05 PM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrifter View Post
What does he bring that Kunitz and Dupuis currently aren't in terms of results. Go big or go home in my opinion. Unless you are going to get a guy that will significantly top their production, why bother? This years deadline is going to be absurd, everyone and there mother is still in it, save for one or two teams.

No point in replacing 20 goal guys with 20 goal guys.

Prices are going to be high.
Stempniak is much more offensively gifted player and could make for a very good offensive winger for Crosby as he has a great shot not to mention Dupuis on the 3rd line gives the Penguins a lot more depth.

Old
03-23-2013, 04:07 PM
GetThePuckOut

vCash: 1081
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
The problem is, we have clearly seen in the past that it's simply not the Flames' style to trade roster players for strictly futures, especially not multiple times at one trade deadline. I realize EVERYTHING POINTS to it happening this year, but I will believe it when I see it. The organization has always been pretty adamant about the full-on rebuild NOT being their philosophy.

So yeah, I could definitely see Iginla being a part of their 'retooling'. What I can't see is them selling all the vets who have significant trade value for only futures, and the whole 'setting up for the McDavid' draft seems as far from their minds as anything.

I think the most interesting aspect of the Iginla rumors and situation is what it means for the Flames moving forward. Will this signal a new way of thinking for this franchise? Or will this be perhaps the exception to everything they stand for? Deal Iginla but keep everybody else and look to add more pieces?

I'm fascinated to see how this ends up. If I were a betting man, I'd put money on Iginla staying in Calgary, followed by a trade to LA, then a trade to Vancouver and lastly a trade somewhere else.
Flames fans are, for the most part, signed off on a rebuild at this point.

Flames fans were never delusional and never was management. It wasn't the time then, a 10th place team can still go the other way and if you don't believe that then you shouldn't even be in sports. I would be ashamed if my team blew it up in 10th place. I think that's an absolute disgraceful thing to even suggest and so do a lot of Flames fans and management.

This is an entirely different situation. This IS the appropriate time to signal to a rebuild. It's getting close to the deadline and Calgary is close to last place. This isn't a situation that Calgary has been in before, so I wouldn't compare the Regehr trade or anything else to the situation that Calgary is currently facing.

EDIT: As for setting up for McDavid, I really don't see Calgary in the basement for that long. It's not gonna be an Oilers thing. The Oilers had their 1st picks, and guys like Horcoff, Smid, Hemsky, to carry them outta the basement. Calgary has Glencross who's on a 40 goal pace, Bartschi, Backlund, we'll still have some of our good wingers, probably one of J-bo or Gio, a guy like Drouin or MacKinnon hopefully, and none of that includes the assets that we would get back in trades. That's a much more solid core than the Oilers had to work with IMO, even without including the assets we get back in a trade. I think this rebuild will be pretty brief.

Last edited by GetThePuckOut: 03-23-2013 at 04:16 PM.
Old
03-23-2013, 04:09 PM
Flamester

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHudlinator View Post
Stempniak is much more offensively gifted player and could make for a very good offensive winger for Crosby as he has a great shot not to mention Dupuis on the 3rd line gives the Penguins a lot more depth.
don't think the penguins are interested in Stepniak. If Stepniak goes anywhere i believe he is heading to the St.Louise blues as they are looking for a 3rd line offensive player, he has also had success there in the past .

Old
03-23-2013, 04:18 PM
Flamester

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBlazer View Post

Flames fans were never delusional and never was management. It wasn't the time then, a 10th place team can still go the other way and if you don't believe that then you shouldn't even be in sports. I would be ashamed if my team blew it up in 10th place. I think that's an absolute disgraceful thing to even suggest and so do a lot of Flames fans and management.

This is an entirely different situation. This IS the appropriate time to signal to a rebuild. It's getting close to the deadline and Calgary is close to last place. This isn't a situation that Calgary has been in before, so I wouldn't compare the Regehr trade or anything else to the situation that Calgary is currently facing.
yes but what differs from this year then past years is flames are 15th in the conference. the past 3 years flames were in playoff contention for the most part at least. although they aren't mathematically eliminated from playoff contention yet, they would have to go on a crazy run to even try to squeak in 8th. I think tomorow game against the blues is the boiling point in this season that will signal a definite rebuild.

Old
03-23-2013, 04:26 PM
GetThePuckOut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamester View Post
yes but what differs from this year then past years is flames are 15th in the conference. the past 3 years flames were in playoff contention for the most part at least. although they aren't mathematically eliminated from playoff contention yet, they would have to go on a crazy run to even try to squeak in 8th. I think tomorow game against the blues is the boiling point in this season that will signal a definite rebuild.
Exactly my point.

Maybe Calgary fans are more proud or stubborn than other teams, or maybe other teams are willing to pull the plug a little too early. Either way though, Calgary, it's fans and management, always knew where the line was that had to be crossed before it's time to blow it up, and we had never crossed it before. And I agree completely, the line is next game.

Old
03-23-2013, 04:26 PM
zeus3007*

Quote:

EDIT: As for setting up for McDavid, I really don't see Calgary in the basement for that long. It's not gonna be an Oilers thing. The Oilers had their 1st picks, and guys like Horcoff, Smid, Hemsky, to carry them outta the basement. Calgary has Glencross who's on a 40 goal pace, Bartschi, Backlund, we'll still have some of our good wingers, probably one of J-bo or Gio, a guy like Drouin or MacKinnon hopefully, and none of that includes the assets that we would get back in trades. That's a much more solid core than the Oilers had to work with IMO, even without including the assets we get back in a trade. I think this rebuild will be pretty brief.
Every fan believes their teams rebuild will be brief. They don't take into consideration the things like developing their young players, trying to purge guys that won't fit in the future, and that sort of thing. For Flames fans sake, I hope Feaster can make some brilliant moves, but getting 2 or 3 star players doesn't happen overnight. Baertschi is the only potential one that is close to NHL ready. Janko looks to be at best 3 years out.

Old
03-23-2013, 04:38 PM
GetThePuckOut

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus3007 View Post
Every fan believes their teams rebuild will be brief. They don't take into consideration the things like developing their young players, trying to purge guys that won't fit in the future, and that sort of thing. For Flames fans sake, I hope Feaster can make some brilliant moves, but getting 2 or 3 star players doesn't happen overnight. Baertschi is the only potential one that is close to NHL ready. Janko looks to be at best 3 years out.
First of all I didn't mean that as an insult to the Oilers. But I think the guys that we leave behind; such as Glencross who's still seemingly improving, one of J-Bo or Gio, Brodie, maybe one of Tangs or Stemps, Hudler, Cervenka (hope we get him re-signed), that's a much better core than what Oilers hit the bottom with.

Not to mention, Oilers never really had a firesale. Calgary can get decent return for Iginla, Gio/J-Bo, Stemps, Cammy, even Stajan is playing well and will warrant a return. That's 5 potential returns with hopefully a couple close to NHL ready prospects thrown in.

It just looks like a stronger core, with or without a firesale. Edmonton had to throw their kids to the wolves a little bit, and the best players they had to work with were each other. Say we get Drouin, he's got Glencross, Bartschi, Backlund, Tanguay, he's already got so much to work with and can be sheltered if necessary.

Another thing worth mentioning is that Feaster is very aggressive during free agency. He'll definitely sign some guys, like he did with Hudler; that was a great addition that allowed us to trade other wingers without falling into the abyss. Free agency will improve our team, while making our players expendable in trades.

So due to enormous quantity of potential returns, aggressive free agent signings, and still a decent core left behind, I just don't see Calgary falling into the abyss the way that other teams have.

EDIT: Oh yeah, forgot about Kipper. 6 potential returns!

Last edited by GetThePuckOut: 03-23-2013 at 04:44 PM.
Old
03-23-2013, 04:42 PM
Flamester

Quote:
Exactly my point.

Maybe Calgary fans are more proud or stubborn than other teams, or maybe other teams are willing to pull the plug a little too early. Either way though, Calgary, it's fans and management, always knew where the line was that had to be crossed before it's time to blow it up, and we had never crossed it before. And I agree completely, the line is next game.
yes exactly. were just fed up with the same B.S year after year. we retooled last year and it didnt work. the time is now to rebuild and i hate to say it but it starts with the big 3, Iginla, Kipper, and Bouwmeester.

Old
03-23-2013, 04:46 PM
Flamester

Quote:
First of all I didn't mean that as an insult to the Oilers. But I think the guys that we leave behind; such as Glencross who's still seemingly improving, one of J-Bo or Gio, Brodie, maybe one of Tangs or Stemps, Hudler, Cervenka (hope we get him re-signed), that's a much better core than what Oilers hit the bottom with.

Not to mention, Oilers never really had a firesale. Calgary can get decent return for Iginla, Gio/J-Bo, Stemps, Cammy, even Stajan is playing well and will warrant a return. That's 5 potential returns with hopefully a couple close to NHL ready prospects thrown in.

It just looks like a stronger core, with or without a firesale. Edmonton had to throw their kids to the wolves a little bit, and the best players they had to work with were each other. Say we get Drouin, he's got Glencross, Bartschi, Backlund, Tanguay, he's already got so much to work with and can be sheltered if necessary.

Another thing worth mentioning is that Feaster is very aggressive during free agency. He'll definitely sign some guys, like he did with Hudler; that was a great addition that allowed us to trade other wingers without falling into the abyss. Free agency will improve our team, while making our players expendable in trades.

So due to enormous quantity of potential returns, aggressive free agent signings, and still a decent core left behind, I just don't see Calgary falling into the abyss the way that other teams have.
the only veterans i want to stay from this current roster are giodano, glencross, and hudler. stepniak, cammy, and tanguay can bring a pretty good return. bouwmeester, Iginla, and Kipper will each bring back a first round pick no question

Old
03-23-2013, 05:05 PM
Jag68Sid87

Quote:

I didn't want to make my post sound like a slight on the Flames, but I'm afraid it may have been. Whatever I believe, or anyone else, is irrelevant. And I think the Flames are in touch with their own fan base as well or better than most teams in the league. And striving to make the playoffs should be applauded.

I was mainly trying to point out that we may not get the big selling off of assets that seemingly everybody wants, due to past indications. But I agree time is definitely running out on this season, and tomorrow's game may very well be the clincher.

Old
03-23-2013, 05:30 PM
GetThePuckOut

Quote:
I didn't want to make my post sound like a slight on the Flames, but I'm afraid it may have been. Whatever I believe, or anyone else, is irrelevant. And I think the Flames are in touch with their own fan base as well or better than most teams in the league. And striving to make the playoffs should be applauded.

I was mainly trying to point out that we may not get the big selling off of assets that seemingly everybody wants, due to past indications. But I agree time is definitely running out on this season, and tomorrow's game may very well be the clincher.
I didn't take it as a slight, I was trying to say that Flames fans have shifted, because the situation has shifted. Flames were not in a situation to blow it up before, the fans wouldn't have tolerated it.

It wasn't the time to rebuild then, but it clearly is now. So you'll see a shift in management philosophy when it comes to trades.

Also you gotta remember, Calgary never traded for futures because Iginla was always getting older, and Calgary wanted to get him another good playoff run. Sutter tried his ass off to get Marleau, 90 point Jokinen, etc., They just couldn't get that last piece but it wasn't for lack of trying. So now that Iginla's window with Calgary is closing, it's time to let him try somewhere else, and start thinking about the future. Hopefully though he returns a bounty and then re-signs with us next year..

Old
03-23-2013, 05:33 PM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyes of Orpik View Post
I think Stempniak is a more ideal acquisition for the Penguins than Jarome Iginla. Signed to an extra year at a cap hit of $2.5M, cheaper player who can help the team.
I tend to agree. A Jarome Iginla departure from Calgary means more to Jarome Iginla as an individual and symbolically to the Flames organization than it does improve the fortunes of a team trading for him since he's not really the impact player he used to be...

Old
03-23-2013, 05:53 PM
IcedCapp
IcedCapp The White

Quote:
One thing I'd like to say, even though I hope my team gets Iginla: I really do feel bad for Flames fans. The past few seasons have had to suck, and I hope that your management is able to parlay these vets into a quick rebuild. Flames fans deserve it. I know it would be better/more satisfying with Iginla et al....

Old
03-23-2013, 05:55 PM
eklunds source
HFBoards Sponsor

Kent Wilson posted a fantastic road map to getting Calgary competitive again... It doesn't necessarily take a few years of awful, losing seasons.

Old
03-23-2013, 05:59 PM
Jag68Sid87

Quote:
I didn't take it as a slight, I was trying to say that Flames fans have shifted, because the situation has shifted. Flames were not in a situation to blow it up before, the fans wouldn't have tolerated it.

It wasn't the time to rebuild then, but it clearly is now. So you'll see a shift in management philosophy when it comes to trades.

Also you gotta remember, Calgary never traded for futures because Iginla was always getting older, and Calgary wanted to get him another good playoff run. Sutter tried his ass off to get Marleau, 90 point Jokinen, etc., They just couldn't get that last piece but it wasn't for lack of trying. So now that Iginla's window with Calgary is closing, it's time to let him try somewhere else, and start thinking about the future. Hopefully though he returns a bounty and then re-signs with us next year..
Yeah, as a Pens fan the idea of two future assets heading to Calgary and then Iginla returning to Calgary next summer doesn't really give me the warm and fuzzies.

I think you're right, but where does the O'Reilly offer sheet come into play? Was that done to play with Iginla, or to start the after-Iginla era?

Old
03-23-2013, 06:11 PM
Double Dion
Jets fan 30/06/2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamester View Post
the only veterans i want to stay from this current roster are giodano, glencross, and hudler. stepniak, cammy, and tanguay can bring a pretty good return. bouwmeester, Iginla, and Kipper will each bring back a first round pick no question
I question Kipper bringing back a 1st. I think Cammalleri can bring one though if we eat salary.

Old
03-23-2013, 06:19 PM
Calculon
unholy acting talent

vCash: 50
Quote:
Yeah, as a Pens fan the idea of two future assets heading to Calgary and then Iginla returning to Calgary next summer doesn't really give me the warm and fuzzies.

I think you're right, but where does the O'Reilly offer sheet come into play? Was that done to play with Iginla, or to start the after-Iginla era?
Both. More of a case of the Flames trying to 'cheat' their way out of a longterm rebuild. Rather than invest in the time and energy in developing their own draft picks into NHL players, they wanted to acquire other teams young, NHL talent and have them take over in Calgary. Playing with O'Reilly might also have convinced Iginla to re-sign, rather than have him look for a trade out.

Old
03-23-2013, 06:23 PM
GetThePuckOut

Quote:

IF Feaster were to win that legal battle (which I think he would have), it would have been a shrewd move, because it would work in either scenario.

Calgary was still in contention, showing promising glimpses and having a handful of games at hand. The move would have given a much needed center upgrade, which could have sparked the team, or if it failed, it would still be a good piece for the future. The move (if it worked) did have potential to be like the Kessel trade, but Calgary most likely wouldn't have been a top ten pick if they had ROR in the lineup.

Old
03-23-2013, 06:28 PM
Some Other Flame

Quote:
IF Feaster were to win that legal battle (which I think he would have), it would have been a shrewd move, because it would work in either scenario.

Calgary was still in contention, showing promising glimpses and having a handful of games at hand. The move would have given a much needed center upgrade, which could have sparked the team, or if it failed, it would still be a good piece for the future. The move (if it worked) did have potential to be like the Kessel trade, but Calgary most likely wouldn't have been a top ten pick if they had ROR in the lineup.
Yeah, because Colorado have been doing so much better with him back in the line-up.

Old
03-23-2013, 06:33 PM
GetThePuckOut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Some Other Flame View Post
Yeah, because Colorado have been doing so much better with him back in the line-up.
Colorado's problem isn't specifically the center position. And ROR has been good for them.

Old
03-23-2013, 06:34 PM
skip2mybordeleau
Sign O'Reilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Some Other Flame View Post
ryan o'reilly has not been the problem with the avs. this year 8 points in 10 games, while working into his conditioning while not in game shape to start the season with superb defensive play.

Old
03-23-2013, 06:45 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger 2m
Iginla trade spec grows by the day. Source says Pit,Bos,Chi,LA on his list with ongoing discussions. CGY will not comment,confirm, or deny.

https://twitter.com/DarrenDreger/sta...09442097983489

Heating up. Would love it if we got him but I get the feeling we won't.

Old
03-23-2013, 06:47 PM
KingKopitar11*
Drew Doughty Eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger 2m
Iginla trade spec grows by the day. Source says Pit,Bos,Chi,LA on his list with ongoing discussions. CGY will not comment,confirm, or deny.

https://twitter.com/DarrenDreger/sta...09442097983489

Heating up. Would love it if we got him but I get the feeling we won't.
This is getting HOT. so HOT

Old
03-23-2013, 06:47 PM
Some Other Flame

Quote:
Colorado's problem isn't specifically the center position. And ROR has been good for them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by skip2mybordeleau View Post
ryan o'reilly has not been the problem with the avs. this year 8 points in 10 games, while working into his conditioning while not in game shape to start the season with superb defensive play.
Never said anything about O'Reilly being the problem, but you hit the nail on the head with the bolded part. Wouldn't the same issue have occurred with the Flames?

The point is, as well as O'Reilly has been playing, has his addition made the Avalanche any better? Has he helped them to secure a playoff spot? No. So why would he have made such a significant difference to the Flames?

Sure the Flames are weak at center, but it's not like O'Reilly's being buried in Colorado, and in coming to Calgary, he would have produced significantly more than the 8 points he already has. Would an extra 8 points or so make that much of a difference to a last place team in the Western conference? Would his superb defensive play solve all the other issues in Calgary single handedly? Because it certainly hasn't made much of a difference on the other last place team there.

Old
03-23-2013, 06:50 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

So Chicago, LA, Boston and Pittsburgh are on his list, but is he on their list?

Closed Thread