HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Misfortune and lost potential define Philadelphia Flyers' 2008 draft class

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-23-2013, 01:15 PM
  #1
HF Article
Hockey's Future Staff
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Country:
Posts: 7,329
vCash: 500
Misfortune and lost potential define Philadelphia Flyers' 2008 draft class


The 2008 Draft Class for the Philadelphia Flyers is an odd look at a success that could have been. It is not as if the organization should chalk the entire year as a front office failure, but it does boast a few cautionary tales of how doing everything seemingly correctly can still bring about disastrous consequences. A team can prepare for the worst but bad luck can find anyone at any time.



The draft started for the Flyers with a pair of 1st round picks and a 3rd floating in the Flyers' pocket. General Manager Paul Holmgren had traded forward R.J.… read more



More...

HF Article is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 01:23 PM
  #2
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube
 
GoneFullHextall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Somewhere in NH
Country: United States
Posts: 31,860
vCash: 500
draft picks and having prospects is overrated.

AMIRITE?

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 01:40 PM
  #3
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centreville
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 39,079
vCash: 500
Depressing.

__________________
Down in the basement, I've got a Craftsman lathe. Show it to the children when they misbehave.
Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 02:25 PM
  #4
Nuclear
Registered User
 
Nuclear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 982
vCash: 500
So many 1st rounders gone.

Williams, Richards, Carter, Pitkanen, JVR, Downie, Sbisa, 2004, 2009, 2010, and that extra 2008 1st.

Nuclear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 04:44 PM
  #5
Snotbubbles
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 3,499
vCash: 500
So many first rounders brought in.

Hartnell, Coburn, Mezsaros, Schenn, Schenn, Voracek, Couturier.

Snotbubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 05:55 PM
  #6
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centreville
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 39,079
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snotbubbles View Post
So many first rounders brought in.

Hartnell, Coburn, Mezsaros, Schenn, Schenn, Voracek, Couturier.
You'll notice that's less than the amount sent out. Which is probably why there are so few prospects.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 07:19 PM
  #7
Coppy
Good Luck Richie!
 
Coppy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 929
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
You'll notice that's less than the amount sent out. Which is probably why there are so few prospects.
Eh, most of those picks and players were dealt for futures/same age players. The Pronger deal was really the only one where you could say they traded futures for an aging veteran.

Coppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 10:25 PM
  #8
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?
 
Pantokrator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Semmes, Alabama
Country: Guatemala
Posts: 4,346
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snotbubbles View Post
So many first rounders brought in.

Hartnell, Coburn, Mezsaros, Schenn, Schenn, Voracek, Couturier.
Don't forget Gagne is one who was gone and brought back! That has to count for something...as does Boucher...

Pantokrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 10:37 PM
  #9
bp spec
Registered User
 
bp spec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 9,953
vCash: 500
Not a very fun read.

bp spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 08:48 AM
  #10
04' hockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: City of Brotherly Lo
Posts: 583
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuclear View Post
So many 1st rounders gone.

Williams, Richards, Carter, Pitkanen, JVR, Downie, Sbisa, 2004, 2009, 2010, and that extra 2008 1st.
Why we're in the shape we are now

The Flyers have always pissed away draft choices, starting with the King's ransom for Ol' mommie's boy

I know, I know, EVERY hockey analyst liked him but how did that trade turn out ?
would have LOVED to have seen Forsberg's career as a FLYER

04' hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 09:10 AM
  #11
Rick Deckard
Registered User
 
Rick Deckard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Germany
Posts: 1,418
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuclear View Post
So many 1st rounders gone.

Williams, Richards, Carter, Pitkanen, JVR, Downie, Sbisa, 2004, 2009, 2010, and that extra 2008 1st.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snotbubbles View Post
So many first rounders brought in.

Hartnell, Coburn, Mezsaros, Schenn, Schenn, Voracek, Couturier.
I can see ONE bad trade with all those moves, the '08 1st for Steve Eminger (who's been a 1st himself).

Rick Deckard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 09:44 AM
  #12
BobbyClarkeFan16
Registered User
 
BobbyClarkeFan16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: London Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,930
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Deckard View Post
I can see ONE bad trade with all those moves, the '08 1st for Steve Eminger (who's been a 1st himself).
Such a shame about Eminger. His development was mishandled right from the very beginning in Washington. He was really something special when he was drafted and the Capitals tried turning him into something he wasn't. He was a solid two-way defenseman when he was drafted and the Capitals tried turning him into an offensive defenseman (he had good offensive skill, but he was never great) and when it blew up on them, they tried turning him into a defensive defenseman, but he just wasn't physical enough. They killed his confidence and by the time he got to Philadelphia, it was pretty much over for him. He showed signs of turning it around, but he was dealt very quickly. Too bad because I think if he would have been given the chance here, he could have turned it around.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 09:48 AM
  #13
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Sudbury
Country: Canada
Posts: 25,548
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
Such a shame about Eminger. His development was mishandled right from the very beginning in Washington. He was really something special when he was drafted and the Capitals tried turning him into something he wasn't. He was a solid two-way defenseman when he was drafted and the Capitals tried turning him into an offensive defenseman (he had good offensive skill, but he was never great) and when it blew up on them, they tried turning him into a defensive defenseman, but he just wasn't physical enough. They killed his confidence and by the time he got to Philadelphia, it was pretty much over for him. He showed signs of turning it around, but he was dealt very quickly. Too bad because I think if he would have been given the chance here, he could have turned it around.
No.

He'll never be more than a 6th/7th defenseman

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 10:06 AM
  #14
BobbyClarkeFan16
Registered User
 
BobbyClarkeFan16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: London Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,930
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
No.

He'll never be more than a 6th/7th defenseman
I'd have no problems with that. He was averaging 17:47 in ice time when he played with the Flyers and while he started out slowly, he did start turning things around after his fifth game. Honestly, he was no worse than Ryan Parent, Osi Vananen and Andrew Alberts. He could have been a very good bottom pairing guy. Now, I can't complain with the player they got in return because as much as Matt Carle is despised on here, he was very good during his time here.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 10:08 AM
  #15
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Sudbury
Country: Canada
Posts: 25,548
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
I'd have no problems with that. He was averaging 17:47 in ice time when he played with the Flyers and while he started out slowly, he did start turning things around after his fifth game. Honestly, he was no worse than Ryan Parent, Osi Vananen and Andrew Alberts. He could have been a very good bottom pairing guy. Now, I can't complain with the player they got in return because as much as Matt Carle is despised on here, he was very good during his time here.
It's still Homer's worst trade. You don't give up a 1st round pick for a depth defenseman

When Homer offered WSH that, I bet they laughed and couldnt believe it

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 10:28 AM
  #16
BobbyClarkeFan16
Registered User
 
BobbyClarkeFan16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: London Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,930
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
It's still Homer's worst trade. You don't give up a 1st round pick for a depth defenseman

When Homer offered WSH that, I bet they laughed and couldnt believe it
Oh agreed. Holmgren should have never given up a 1st for Eminger. A third maybe but yeah, a first was complete overpayment. My only thing that I wanted was for the Flyers to give him a full season to see if he could turn it around. Instead, they gave him zero chance to prove himself and jettisoned him after 12 games. On top of it, they gave up on Steve Downie very early as well.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:57 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.