HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 Leafs Trades/Proposals/Signings XI - Winter... I mean...Deadline approaching

Closed Thread

Old
03-23-2013, 03:35 PM
dimi78

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faltorvo View Post
Actually it's not as simple as that.

You want the POs for what? your own entertainment , for player developement or is ownership needing the money?

If it's for player dev, then i argue, lets get that dev to players who are going to be with us after this season ,like ohhhh i don't know ,Colb,Ashton,D'Amigo,Scott.
Let me ask you this why don't you want the playoffs with Bozak and Mac?

Is it wise to call these kids up right now? What happens if Colborne gets called up and is out of place at this particular juncture of the season not just Colborne but the others as well?

what are you telling the guys in the room that have been working hard to have this team in a playoff position trading these guys for what in fact is nothing but a chance of getting something cause picks and prospects are not sure things at all not even close to being a benefit AT ALL?

Ignoring the value of expiring contracts in a cap world wont help your short sightness living in this dream that picks & prospects for a future that may not exist doesn't help your argument at all for risk in weakening the team. Why is making the playoffs a bad thing anyway?

Your not losing Kessel or Phaneuf for nothing stop acting like it is. You do realize the Leafs could choose to re-sign them after the trade deadline do you?

Last edited by dimi78: 03-23-2013 at 03:45 PM.
Old
03-23-2013, 03:37 PM
Faltorvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishManSam View Post
I would also be open to seeing Stastny in Toronto if Bozak goes the other way (I'd assume something else would be added to Bozak, but nothing major.

However if we somehow acquire Stastny, don't you see that spelling the end for Grabo in Toronto? I mean we certainly can't run with Grabo 5.5mil, Stastny 6.5mil and Kadri getting a raise in the 4.5-5mil range...

If something like this happens, how would something like this look going into next year.

JVR - Stastny - Kessel (Line Amurca)
Lupul - Kadri - Frattin
MacArthur - Colborne - Kulemin
Komarov - McClemment - Orr
McLaren

IMO that's a great forward corps.

The end for Grabo?

Eh! maybe not.

Those 3 would only be like that for 1 year.

Then it all falls on Stast. If he does not work out, well we move him at next TD for a bit of return.

If his play warrants a big cap hit in a new contract, well thats good right? He turned back into the 1B C many think he still is. Then we look at finding MG a new home.

What if he is middle of the road and does not command the big cap anymore?

Get him signed for less then Grabo and keep him as your 2nd C? Maybe.

Old
03-23-2013, 03:41 PM
FishManSam
Bobs Yummy Burgers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockinz View Post
I wonder if there is ANY way we could pry Gudbranson away from Florida...

He's a big RIGHT d-man with a RHS and would fit Carlyle's system perfectly with Phanuef.

FLA: Gardiner
TOR: Gudbranson

I think it is fair value.
Would you trade Gardiner for Schenn? I didn't think so, the value is not fair. Tell them to add Howden and we'll think about it.

Old
03-23-2013, 03:44 PM
Rockinz
Leafs 4 the cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight K Schrute View Post
I just threw up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phion Keneuf View Post
I don't want Gudbranson. I honestly don't see much in him.

Much rather keep Gardiner, has higher upside
I would also like to keep Gards if possible I just think if we have a chance to get a top pairing guy that is young.. We would have to give up the same..

Trading for a position of need with a position of depth seems logical.

If Gards wouldn't be fair straight up... What would? Gudbranson + 2nd for Gards?

Old
03-23-2013, 03:48 PM
91Kadri91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockinz View Post
I wonder if there is ANY way we could pry Gudbranson away from Florida...

He's a big RIGHT d-man with a RHS and would fit Carlyle's system perfectly with Phanuef.

FLA: Gardiner
TOR: Gudbranson

I think it is fair value.
I'd definitely take a pass on this one.

Old
03-23-2013, 03:57 PM
Ricky Bobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishManSam View Post
I would also be open to seeing Stastny in Toronto if Bozak goes the other way (I'd assume something else would be added to Bozak, but nothing major.

However if we somehow acquire Stastny, don't you see that spelling the end for Grabo in Toronto? I mean we certainly can't run with Grabo 5.5mil, Stastny 6.5mil and Kadri getting a raise in the 4.5-5mil range...

If something like this happens, how would something like this look going into next year.

JVR - Stastny - Kessel (Line Amurca)
Lupul - Kadri - Frattin
MacArthur - Colborne - Kulemin
Komarov - McClemment - Orr
McLaren

IMO that's a great forward corps.
Bozak could be traded to another team to recoup picks-prospects that it would take to acquire Stastny.

Colorado would be out of the playoff picture if they decide to trade Stastny and wouldn't be looking for a pending UFA.

Old
03-23-2013, 04:01 PM
Faltorvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimi78 View Post
Let me ask you this why don't you want the playoffs with Bozak and Mac?

Is it wise to call these kids up right now? What happens if Colborne gets called up and is out of place at this particular juncture of the season not just Colborne but the others as well?

what are you telling the guys in the room that have been working hard to have this team in a playoff position trading these guys for what in fact is nothing but a chance of getting something cause picks and prospects are not sure things at all not even close to being a benefit AT ALL?

Ignoring the value of expiring contracts in a cap world wont help your short slightness living in this dream that picks & prospects for a future that may not exist doesn't help your argument at all for risk in weakening the team. Why is making the playoffs a bad thing anyway?

Your not losing Kessel or Phaneuf for nothing stop acting like it is. You do realize the Leafs could choose to re-sign them after the trade deadline do you?
Sign them after the team loses all it's leverage, oh ya, thats a bright idea.

Do 2nd and 3rd round picks not hold market value?

Do they not hold even more value in a deep draft, like this one is purported to be?

Would those 2nd and 3rd round picks not hold value in a trade scenario moving forward?

Could they be used to draft another Finn or Kuli?

Your worried that Colb would be out of place on the 4th line? Fine bring up Ziggy or Con then if your worried.

Hamilton,Ashton,D'Amigo can't cover 4th line minutes?

JVR,Grabo,Kess

Lups,Kadri,Kuli

Kamo,Mclem,Frat

Hammer,Asht,D'Amigo/AHL C/ Orr,Mclar

Won't be able to get you into the PO's with 13/14 games left?

"What are you telling the players in the room"? hrmm

You seen how many guys we have traded or demoted in the last 2 weeks and you come up with that lame line?

Old
03-23-2013, 04:11 PM
notdoneyet

[QUOTE=dimi78;62231743]glad your not the GM... In a cap world having expiring contracts isn't a bad thing in letting these particular type of depth players walk at the years end while enjoying the depth they give you for the remainder of the year especially with playoffs in sight.

What are you going to get in return for Bozak and MacArthur that will improve or be part of your future anyway trading them for futures? 2nd - 3rd round picks that chances are wont turn into anything that will be part of the teams future or prospects that like you've eluded to is already with the Marlies. Doesn't sound like to me is worth the risk weakening the team when this team is in a playoff spot.

I have no problem what's of ever letting these 2 go for nothing at season end. You gain the cap space that will go to re-signing Kadri and clear 2 roster spots for that AHL depth to be promoted at the beginning of next year rather than throwing them into the fire of battling for a playoff spot that would be setting them up to fail.

i agree but next year we are not in cap hell.
We have buyouts that only cost money and that is one resource we have plenty of. That prospect we get for one of them or that couple of seconds could enable us to move up into the first round of a deep draft. Also the draft after the first 10 or so is always a crapshoot, so the more you draft the better chance you have of hitting a home run.

Old
03-23-2013, 04:17 PM
Ricky Bobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faltorvo View Post
Sign them after the team loses all it's leverage, oh ya, thats a bright idea.

Do 2nd and 3rd round picks not hold market value?

Do they not hold even more value in a deep draft, like this one is purported to be?

Would those 2nd and 3rd round picks not hold value in a trade scenario moving forward?

Could they be used to draft another Finn or Kuli?

Your worried that Colb would be out of place on the 4th line? Fine bring up Ziggy or Con then if your worried.

Hamilton,Ashton,D'Amigo can't cover 4th line minutes?

JVR,Grabo,Kess

Lups,Kadri,Kuli

Kamo,Mclem,Frat

Hammer,Asht,D'Amigo/AHL C/ Orr,Mclar

Won't be able to get you into the PO's with 13/14 games left?

"What are you telling the players in the room"? hrmm

You seen how many guys we have traded or demoted in the last 2 weeks and you come up with that lame line?
Add in that Kadri has been playing around 15 minutes per game but lately has started to see a couple more. No reason we can't lean on him for 18-20 minutes a game after the deadline.

Grabo also is somewhere around 16 or 17 and he could easily play 2 or 3 more minutes a game.

Colborne should get some games this year to prepare him for next year and also give the Leafs a better idea of what they have in him going into the off season.

Old
03-23-2013, 05:25 PM
GenericFan2*

Id really like to see the Leafs make a push for Roy at the deadline. He has the tools to put our top 6 over the top playing with Kessel and Lupul/JVR. As long as it doesn't deplete our depth too much, I think it would be worth it.

I also think trading Bozak/Grabo and Mac would be a big mistake.

Old
03-23-2013, 05:28 PM
dubplatepressure

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW View Post
Id really like to see the Leafs make a push for Roy at the deadline. He has the tools to put our top 6 over the top playing with Kessel and Lupul/JVR. As long as it doesn't deplete our depth too much, I think it would be worth it.

I also think trading Bozak/Grabo and Mac would be a big mistake.
I'm ok with keeping Mac as a utility forward down the stretch as long as we upgrade one of #1C or top-4 D... otherwise I say sell what we can.

Old
03-23-2013, 05:40 PM
dubplatepressure

HC just said Washington & Ribiero are currently attempting to negotiate a long-term contract...

Roy could be the most 'available' of the centres this year...

Old
03-23-2013, 05:42 PM
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubplatepressure View Post
HC just said Washington & Ribiero are currently attempting to negotiate a long-term contract...

Good, i dont want Ribiero

Old
03-23-2013, 05:43 PM
Faltorvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by blasted_Sabre View Post
Not even as a UFA?

Old
03-23-2013, 05:45 PM
Rare Jewel
Patience

Quote:
Originally Posted by blasted_Sabre View Post
Ditto.

Don't like Roy that much either.

Old
03-23-2013, 05:47 PM
Didact
Nonis lost his mind

I like Roy but we have two many small centers as it is.

Old
03-23-2013, 05:47 PM
ChuckWoods

Quote:

I didn't list Ribiero in my "available" suitors because I had heard this earlier in the AM as well.

I wasn't sure if the rumor had any legs, but obviously it did. Mike Ribs seems to have been enjoying his time in Washington and wants to stay there despite their recent struggles.

It wouldn't shock me to see him sign a nice extension for himself.

But in the same breath, if someone comes in and throws Washington a nice offer, they wouldn't turn it down without mulling it over.

Old
03-23-2013, 05:49 PM
rumman

definitely pass on Ribero. Ditto for Roy, like his game, but he's another player more fragile than rice paper. Leafs have to stay away from injury prone players. Talk of Morrow, Clowe etc is disturbing, these guys can help a playoff team that needs depth, not a team in the midst of a rebuild, acquiring said players is a waste of assets IMO.

Old
03-23-2013, 05:51 PM
dubplatepressure

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckWoods View Post
I didn't list Ribiero in my "available" suitors because I had heard this earlier in the AM as well.

I wasn't sure if the rumor had any legs, but obviously it did. Mike Ribs seems to have been enjoying his time in Washington and wants to stay there despite their recent struggles.

It wouldn't shock me to see him sign a nice extension for himself.

But in the same breath, if someone comes in and throws Washington a nice offer, they wouldn't turn it down without mulling it over.

A bit surprising.. would have thought they'd want to reserve some cap space for future movement. Maybe they're planning on rolling Backstrom/Ribiero as a 1/2, then shopping Laich.

Old
03-23-2013, 05:53 PM
dubplatepressure

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumman View Post
definitely pass on Ribero. Ditto for Roy, like his game, but he's another player more fragile than rice paper. Leafs have to stay away from injury prone players. Talk of Morrow, Clowe etc is disturbing, these guys can help a playoff team that needs depth, not a team in the midst of a rebuild, acquiring said players is a waste of assets IMO.
Like Lupul? It's not a waste if we don't spend our future. Player for player trades are just fine for this club.

Old
03-23-2013, 05:56 PM
ChuckWoods

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumman View Post
Considering Derek Roy is only 29 years old, and Ryane Clowe is is only 30 years old himself, I wouldn't balk at their acquisitions.

Yes, Clowe has "slowed" down and lacks general foot speed to be an effective Top 6 winger, but he's a playoff warrior and brings some intangibles and grit to a team in a playoff hunt.

He'll provide that for years to come and a guy like that is extremely valuable in a tough playoff series. But with that said, and recent indication of the "high pricetag" on Clowe, I would be very hesitant to pay a significant price for a 45-55 point Power Forward.

Roy on the other hand has the skill set and capabilities to give a Phil Kessel more space on the ice despite his "soft" style due to his stature. Bozak's skill set isn't as nearly respected on ice as Derek Roy's are and you would see quite the difference of spacing for Phil Kessel when he lines up beside someone of Roy's caliber.

Again, I'd rather spend assets on someone like Paul Stastny, but thats just me.

Quote:
A bit surprising.. would have thought they'd want to reserve some cap space for future movement. Maybe they're planning on rolling Backstrom/Ribiero as a 1/2, then shopping Laich.

Brooks Laich is a big body that can play Center.

Wouldn't absolutely surprise me to see Nonis kick some tires and see what sort of market is there.

We all know Dave is looking for a big #2C that can play two-ways

I don't think he's an improvement on anything we have, other than stature.

Old
03-23-2013, 05:58 PM
dubplatepressure

Quote:
Considering Derek Roy is only 29 years old, and Ryane Clowe is is only 30 years old himself, I wouldn't balk at their acquisitions.

Yes, Clowe has "slowed" down and lacks general foot speed to be an effective Top 6 winger, but he's a playoff warrior and brings some intangibles and grit to a team in a playoff hunt.

He'll provide that for years to come and a guy like that is extremely valuable in a tough playoff series. But with that said, and recent indication of the "high pricetag" on Clowe, I would be very hesitant to pay a significant price for a 45-55 point Power Forward.

Roy on the other hand has the skill set and capabilities to give a Phil Kessel more space on the ice despite his "soft" style due to his stature. Bozak's skill set isn't as nearly respected on ice as Derek Roy's are and you would see quite the difference of spacing for Phil Kessel when he lines up beside someone of Roy's caliber.
Thank you Chuck. Totally agree on both Clowe and Roy - people just need to catch a few SJ games to see Clowe can still play and play well. Still not saying we should be giving prospects/high picks, but we have some player assets we can move - we should be targeting those deals.

Old
03-23-2013, 05:59 PM
pspot

Quote:

Again, I'd rather spend assets on someone like Paul Stastny, but thats just me.
Hearing anything about the leafs being interested in Lu still?

Grabo + for Lu kept coming up last week

Old
03-23-2013, 05:59 PM
rumman

Quote:
Like Lupul? It's not a waste if we don't spend our future. Player for player trades are just fine for this club.
Yeah, like Lupul, why do you think the Ducks gave him up? It's because he was injury prone, and couldn't stay healthy. Happy it's worked out for him though. How many of these injury magnet stories do you think have a happy endings? I'd bet not many, Connelly is a perfect example. No one can predict injuries, but a GM can avoid signing/trading for players with a history of not being able to stay healthy.

Old
03-23-2013, 06:01 PM
JackJ

We're better off moving a few pieces to a contender for a young center who's ready to step in next season. Whats available for the deadline and 2013 UFA market isn't worth investing in.

Closed Thread