HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

We Need a Goalie

Old
03-23-2013, 05:02 PM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

vCash: 500
Every criticism for Oilers goaltending is an excuse for their defense.

I guess a lot of people think they have a decent defense

The Perfect Human* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 05:06 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insta View Post
lol so the Oilers face lots of rubber because Dubnyk is bad, unlike Bobrovky, who teams are too scared of to shoot pucks at.
Ya... Because we clearly have the same calibre of defense as Columbus

The Nuge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 05:12 PM
Powder
Droppin The KlefBom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky_83 View Post

Agreed, the Oil give up WAY too many odd-man rushes and leave guys wide open all the time.

The type of goalie the Oilers need to cover up those lapses isn't available. He'd have to be able to stand on his head every night.

Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 05:24 PM
frag2

Quote:

The thing with Dubnyk is that even if the Oilers played D the way they did when Roloson was in net [ie. force shots from outside/low percentage ones], there's bound to be one here or there that will still squeak by Dubnyk.

That's the problem with Dubnyk.

Frankly, I think the team up front is more confident with Khabi in net than Dubnyk.

frag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 05:53 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
Agreed, the Oil give up WAY too many odd-man rushes and leave guys wide open all the time.

The type of goalie the Oilers need to cover up those lapses doesn't exist. He'd have to be able to stand on his head every night.
FTFY. I don't know what a new goalie will change other than making people finally appreciate Dubnyk

The Nuge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 05:54 PM
Powder
Droppin The KlefBom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by frag2 View Post
The thing with Dubnyk is that even if the Oilers played D the way they did when Roloson was in net [ie. force shots from outside/low percentage ones], there's bound to be one here or there that will still squeak by Dubnyk.

Frankly, I think the team up front is more confident with Khabi in net than Dubnyk.
If that's all that's happening once the team starts playing good defence then I can live with that.

Almost every other team in the league is watching the occasional bad goal squeak in, and some teams are watching it happen quite often...even with good defence.

I don't think the Oilers goaltending is really all that bad. It's not necessarily lights-out right now but relatively speaking, it's just fine.

And to those that keep bringing Miller up as a replacement for Dubnyk, the boys at CBC on the panel were all just saying the same thing that myself and a few others have been saying here all along.

They think that Miller is a major part of the problem in Buffalo if not THE problem and that he needs to just start worrying about stopping the puck instead of throwing team-mates under the bus and blaming everyone else.

Old
03-23-2013, 05:58 PM
Dorian2
The bag don't lie.

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by frag2 View Post

I think you hit the nail on the head with the bolded statement. I'm not sure why they seem more confident with Khabby, but they do.

Dorian2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 02:22 AM
shoop

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
FTFY. I don't know what a new goalie will change other than making people finally appreciate Dubnyk
That's the weird thing with the psyche of a goalie.

There is no way that Dubnyk plays his "very, very solid when there is no pressure and softie a game style if the games mean something" with whatever team he is moved to.

Either he gets his head in the game, masks weaknesses in the defence in front of him and steals games for a team.

OR

He loses all confidence and is out of the league after next season.

Either way, he needs a change of scenery. The team does play more confidently with Khabi in front of them than they do with Scoobie Doobie Doo. Not sure how they'll get that confidence in Dubnyk back.

It could go either way, but I know where I'd put my money on the outcome of Dubnyk's career after he is done with the Oilers.

shoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 02:29 AM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian2 View Post
I think you hit the nail on the head with the bolded statement. I'm not sure why they seem more confident with Khabby, but they do.
So confident that they go and dominate STL and score all the goals!!!

The Perfect Human* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 09:28 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 50
Quote:

It's not just the defense. The forwards need to do a better job at helping. Too many times guys don't come back and if they do they stand around wondering what they should do.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 11:55 AM
Powder
Droppin The KlefBom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
It's not just the defense. The forwards need to do a better job at helping. Too many times guys don't come back and if they do they stand around wondering what they should do.
That or they're half way down the ice looking for a long pass before the D even get control of the puck.

No support down low or beak-out at all.

The Oilers give of tonnes of odd-man rushes and grade-A scoring chances against all the time, and there aren't many goalies in the league that are going to help make up for the Oilers D-zone coverage.