HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mike Ribeiro

View Poll Results: Ribeiro
Sign him 69 55.65%
Trade him 55 44.35%
Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll

Old
03-23-2013, 02:58 PM
Langway
\_(ツ)_/

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by brs03 View Post
To be fair, he's facing softer competition (granted, Ribeiro is well protected himself) and he seems to have a history of getting burnt out with too large a role. But he's certainly shown enough to be an intriguing option.
I'd deal him for a more versatile, traditional 3C should they extend Ribeiro, though neither will be easy. I don't think that sort of promotion will happen here for 85 outside of spot duty and he's not a reliable enough 3C IMO (fancystats be damned). If Laich & Johansson can be respectable top sixers, largely thanks to linemates or not, then their current weaknesses IMO are 2LD, 3LW & 3C. There's help on the wings coming--and some flexibility with Fehr--but they need more quality centers in the system regardless of what happens with Ribeiro. Ideally a heavier forechecker and neutral/D zone impediment is the way to go at 3C. That may be more of a draft target (Wennberg, Horvat, Lazar, maybe Gauthier) if they're in that 10 to 20ish range.

I won't be surprised if they don't deal Ribeiro should an extension not be forthcoming, esp. if they work their way to well within striking distance for a playoff spot. It's not without risk but playoff revenue, etc. may make the risk be perceived as worthwhile.

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 03:19 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
Closet Las Vegas fan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
It's not his nature to move a top asset when competing. Most GM's do not of course. In the SL division, all compete.

GM would rather deal with the fallout in the summer, then during the season, of losing Ribs.

I wonder if Ribs kids liking the area help George get him to ink a discounted contract. My gut is now saying a discount will be there. 4x5NTC perhaps.
I know, and I can understand the mentality behind it. In hockey, there are rarely heavy favorites who win it all. Often it's the team who stays healthy and gets the hottest at the right time. If the Caps are in it, McPhee will keep him and risk letting him walk instead of moving him. Seen this song and dance before. Probably just another thing to add to his sorry resume.

Asset Management:

-Semin allowed to walk for virtually nothing asset-wise
-Ribeiro wanted to test UFA market, allowed to walk for nothing after 1st or 2nd round playoff loss. NOTE: traded away valuable assets for a rental.

PS - NO CHANCE Ribeiro takes that when he's the top UFA Center. Maybe if he's represented by Elvis Dumervil's agent....

Last edited by CapitalsCupFantasy: 03-23-2013 at 03:33 PM.
CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 03:22 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
Closet Las Vegas fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
as a playoff team that makes no sense. as a playoff team on a stretch run roll, it really makes no sense.
Absolutely, if they're in a playoff spot, you're right. McPhee/Leonsis Cup Winning Strategy: The Puncher's chance.

They'll never trade him at that point and he'll likely walk away for nothing after we lose in the 1st round.

Old
03-23-2013, 03:25 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
Closet Las Vegas fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by g00n View Post
The point of having cap space, picks and prospects is to build a team to win a Cup. Why on Earth would anyone trade their top scorer (who occupies a position of need that's existed for years) during a run to the playoffs for that Cup, just because he MIGHT not sign a contract after the year is over, and without even knowing how the year will end???

When are we going to have a "Win the Cup Now" mentality instead of Ted's tickets/cap-management/maybe-next-year mentality?

I'm a fan of the team, not an employee of the organization. I'm not signing any checks, and I don't care if the team misses out on a pick or a prospect if it means taking a serious shot at the Cup.
If you're McPhee and Ribeiro tells you he's testing the market on July 1, then what, just let another top guy walk for nothing after you just traded quality assets to get him? It's just continuing the McPhee trend of depleting established offensive talent from the roster...it's been ongoing for a while. Not sure how fans can advocate this strategy and hope to win a Cup someday.

Old
03-23-2013, 03:25 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
so, if the caps hit their stride and are playoff bound you would send off the team's leading scorer for futures?
Given that we have one win against a quality team this season, yeah. The fact that Ribeiro is the team's leading scorer pretty much says it all.

BrooklynCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 03:42 PM
AlexBrovechkin8
La Flama Blanca

If he won't sign prior to the TDL, you have to trade him. I don't see how anyone can disagree. We can get in a bidding war this summer after trading for assets if it comes down to it.

AlexBrovechkin8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 03:44 PM
Bure

No way you could trade him if we are in a playoff battle at the tdl.

Bure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 03:53 PM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCupFantasy View Post
NO CHANCE Ribeiro takes that when he's the top UFA Center.
Yeah the minimum I see Ribeiro getting is 5 years and $30 mil. 4 years and $20 mil is pure fantasy at this point. That isn't even a raise on what he is making now...

Millhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 03:55 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by g00n View Post
His age is not a secret so I doubt many teams are going to offer him extremely long-term contract. And I don't think anyone's advocating giving him a second Ovechkin contract, either.
No, his age is not a secret. But 5 years might be what it takes to sign him before the deadline. And it would be a mistake, IMO.

Offer him short-term, high money, or mid-term, mid money.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 03:55 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
Closet Las Vegas fan

This is his retirement contract. He's not taking a discount.

Old
03-23-2013, 03:56 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
This team really sucks without Ribeiro.

They finally have a second center. Pay him and move some other **** out.
For most of the year, the team has really sucked with Ribiero.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 03:58 PM
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough

I think it was the Winnipeg feed and they brought up he said he wanted a contract so all his kids could go to the same high school.

Which means he is picking a place to settle down for years to come and even after retirement. Washington could get a hometown discount if he feels very comfortable with the organization.

SimplySensational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 04:30 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCupFantasy View Post
Absolutely, if they're in a playoff spot, you're right. McPhee/Leonsis Cup Winning Strategy: The Puncher's chance.

They'll never trade him at that point and he'll likely walk away for nothing after we lose in the 1st round.
wasnt this the prevailing thinking last season on semin? trade him for futures. if they make the playoffs they will be an easy first round out.

txpd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 04:33 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBrovechkin8 View Post
If he won't sign prior to the TDL, you have to trade him. I don't see how anyone can disagree. We can get in a bidding war this summer after trading for assets if it comes down to it.
if you assume the caps are out of it by the tdl. sure.

at present that certainly is not the scenario on the table. teams that are a win or two away from the playoffs or better dont trade their pending free agents. if they are lower end players they need the depth and if they are top end players...it doesnt happen.

txpd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 05:18 PM
Ovechkins Wodka

Just got a email from verizon center trying to sell me suites for the playoffs lol

Ovechkins Wodka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 05:22 PM
Halpysback*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovechkins Wodka View Post
Just got a email from verizon center trying to sell me suites for the playoffs lol
At least now we conclusively know what they're gonna do about Ribeiro

Halpysback* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 06:14 PM
caps4cup
Dynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBrovechkin8 View Post
I pretty much agree with this. But if say the Caps go on a nice run before the deadline and are sitting in playoff contention I think you have to keep him. It would be a tough decision for GMGM. I think he will resign though, it seems like he likes it here in Washington, and I think he realizes with Kuz, Forsberg, and Wilson coming in soon, along with all the young talent currently on the team, the only place to go is up (at least it should be).

Btw, hockey central stated that Ribeiro and the Caps were talking about an extension in between the Nucks/Kings game.

caps4cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 06:16 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Some 5v5 WOWY charts linked via an RMNB tweet:

http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/show...012-13&sit=5v5

Interesting to look at, if nothing else.

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 01:38 AM
CapitalsCupFantasy
Closet Las Vegas fan

Quote:
wasnt this the prevailing thinking last season on semin? trade him for futures. if they make the playoffs they will be an easy first round out.
So what if it's a 2nd round elimination? Same difference except to Ted's bottom line.

Old
03-24-2013, 01:44 AM
CapitalsCupFantasy
Closet Las Vegas fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by caps4cup View Post
I pretty much agree with this. But if say the Caps go on a nice run before the deadline and are sitting in playoff contention I think you have to keep him. It would be a tough decision for GMGM. I think he will resign though, it seems like he likes it here in Washington, and I think he realizes with Kuz, Forsberg, and Wilson coming in soon, along with all the young talent currently on the team, the only place to go is up (at least it should be).

Btw, hockey central stated that Ribeiro and the Caps were talking about an extension in between the Nucks/Kings game.
Great news. Week and a half to get it done. 5/$27.5

Old
03-24-2013, 07:09 AM
g00n
Global Moderator
๑۩۞۩๑♩♪♫♬๑۩۞۩๑

Ribeiro has matured as a player and a person. He's not the same guy, and he may even be a BETTER hockey player now that he's gotten his life straightened out. So if age bothers people, that's something to think about. We could actually be buying low, and he may be more inclined to seek stability.

g00n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 08:19 AM
fsnoles98

No thank you on Ribs. He is too old and we will not get a home town discount. GMGM will get robbed. As a Caps fan this will play out 2 ways that do not benefit the Caps. We will hold on to Ribs past the trade deadline, make the playoffs and lose in round one or two or hold on to Ribs after the deadline and not make the playoff and he will walk for free.

We made this mistake with Green, we hold on to the guys for too long and his value dumps. Ribs is at an all time high, sell now. We are not going to the SC this year.

fsnoles98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 08:48 AM
Mickstix

Let's see, we've needed a 2c for years, we finally get said 2C who's leading the team in points.. What to do, what to do?? lol.. You guys thinking trade, must not remember who the guy is doing the trading.. No way I'd take a chance on McPhee ****ing that up.. Pay the man and move on..

Mickstix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 10:01 AM
tycoonheart

Seriously. Some of you guys make it sound like it was so easy for us to land another legit center. Took us years. We get rid of him and we're right where we left.

tycoonheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 10:04 AM
CrashTheNet9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tycoonheart View Post
Seriously. Some of you guys make it sound like it was so easy for us to land another legit center. Took us years. We get rid of him and we're right where we left.
Not if we get one of those centers in the draft.

CrashTheNet9 is offline   Reply With Quote