HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

College Hockey: 2012-13 Season

Old
03-22-2013, 08:36 AM
LaxSabre

vCash: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
Zanette plays all situations and put up nearly a PPG in conference games?
What were his total stats, and why aren't more people talking about him?
#8 - Marc Zanette - Senior - Forward - 36 games - 10 goals - 16 assists - 26 points - 24 penalty minutes - 17 plus/minus -
2 power-play goals - 0 short-handed goals - 1 empty net goal - 1 game winning goal - 0 game tieing goals - 148 shots on net.

His stat page - AtlanticHockeyOnline.com - http://atlantichockeyonline.com/stat...arczanette77km

Why more people not talking about him? Its college hockey, theres really only two players per team that are talked about nationally when it comes to the lower rank conferences which Atlantic Hockey is and hes behind junior goalie Carsen Chubak and senior forward Giancarlo Iuorio on his own team. In the Purple Eagles games that I have seen, the dude been all over the ice - should have score more goals but he likes to feed the puck especially to Iurorio. I'm hoping the Sabres are looking at him (as well as Chubak and Iuorio) - would be cool to see them stay here/come back down the road and wear the blue and gold.

Heres Giancarlo Iuorio stat page - AtlanticHockeyOnline.com - http://atlantichockeyonline.com/stat...arloiuorio2vly
and heres Carsen Chubak stat page - AtlanticHockeyOnline.com - http://atlantichockeyonline.com/stat...rsenchubaks6h7

Last edited by LaxSabre: 03-23-2013 at 09:39 AM.
LaxSabre is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 09:04 AM
LaxSabre

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacOfNiagara View Post
Heading to the Niagara-Canisius game on Friday. Should be a great game. Go Eagles!
Cool that you are going! Wish I was but the couple of people I could go with unfortunately couldn't get out of work to attend - tough with the mid-afternoon start. Also the one guy who can go with me - my Dad these days is being picky/taking it easy when it comes to going places. (Between the Sabres game last night, Bandits game on Saturday and my soccer coaching gig on Saturday too which he goes to - I coach my cousins kids so hes goes to watch them - I'm too boring to go to watch! - hes already done/will do alot these past/next few days.)

I should have made plans to go with you! Oh well! Have a great time but I gotta go with Canisius! Win today and then on Saturday and we will have two teams in the tourney. (Niagara is a vitural lock in making it no matter even if they lose today. Well thats what everyone is saying. Yeah I know you should go all out and win the games but for once throw a bone to your "buddy" that lives some 22 miles down the road? Just saying...)

I wish Niagara and Canisius were playing the second semifinal. I understand that due to Niagara being the highest rank seed left (#1) of the four teams that are left, that they should get the advantage of playing the earlier game and thus get a few extra hours rest over what team wins the later semifinal. But in this case Atlantic Hockey should have made a exception especially since Niagaras opponent is nearby Canisius and had them play the later semifinal at 7:00 pm ET - maybe even moving the start time to 7:30 pm ET.

Then alot more fans would have been able to travel down the thruway after getting out of work to watch what should be a exciting/close game. Heck, I'm sure some Rochester hockey fans would have like to see this game in person too. Yeah another person complaining about when a game in Rochester is being played but in this case - the switch should have definiately been made. More people at the game, more money for the AHA and others. The other game would get the same number of fans no matter when its played. Oh well! At least the game is on TWCSC Buffalo so people who can't make it, can watch it LIVE/or can record it to watch later - thats if they get the channel.

Prediction: Canisius wins 3-2 in overtime. Go Canisius! beat Niagara!

Last edited by LaxSabre: 03-22-2013 at 11:02 AM.
Old
03-22-2013, 09:32 AM
bpc2083

vCash: 500
Is there any way to view this game on DirecTV? If not, is there a stream online anywhere? I know America One Sports has a ppv type deal. Any free ones?

bpc2083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 11:00 AM
LaxSabre

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpc2083 View Post
Is there any way to view this game on DirecTV?
If not, is there a stream online anywhere? I know America One Sports has a ppv type deal. Any free ones?
Nope, Time Warner Cable Sports Channel is only available to view legally if you have Time Warner Cable. Its not available on Dish or DirecTV as a channel. Also they won't allow one of those Fox College Sports Channels to pickup the game. One of those illegal online websites may have the game on. If not, then its the American One Sports one which unfortunately you have to pay.

Wish I had the resources to stream the game off TWCSC Buffalo - theres a couple of others I know who are outside the TWCSC Buffalo/TWCSC Rochester viewing area who want to see the game and who are going to be forced to pay to see it.

Old
03-22-2013, 03:12 PM
LaxSabre

Kevin Oklobzija ‏@kevinoDandC - Niagara goes up 1-0 on Canisius on a goal by Giancarlo Iuorio - 3:26 into AHA semifinal game No. 1.

Kevin Oklobzija ‏@kevinoDandC - Canisius ties Niagara on a Cody Freeman goal at 10:33 of 1st period. 1-1.

GoGriffs ‏@GoGriffs - HCKY: GOAL! Cody Freeman scores to tie the game at one. 9:27 left in the first.

Kevin Oklobzija ‏@kevinoDandC - Ben Danford fires into an open net after a scramble and Canisius takes a 2-1 lead over Niagara with 39.3 seconds left in 1st period.

GoGriffs ‏@GoGriffs - HCKY: GOAL! Ben Danford scores with 39.3 seconds left in the first. Now lead Niagara, 2-1.

Kevin Oklobzija ‏@kevinoDandC - Canisius RW Kyle Gibbons made the play, barging into the goal-mouth pileup to keep the puck alive and free it for Ben Danford.

Kevin Oklobzija ‏@kevinoDandC - End of 1, seventh-seeded Canisius leads top-seeded Niagara in AHA semifinals 2-1.

GoGriffs ‏@GoGriffs - HCKY: #Griffs head into the first intermission with a 2-1 lead over Niagara. NU with a 15-12 edge in shots.

Scoring Summary - First Period - Atlantic Hockey Online.com
Niagara #1 - 3:26 - Iuorio, Giancarlo (Murphy, Ryan)
Canisius #1 - 10:33 - Freeman, Cody (Sullivan, Patrick & Gibbons, Kyle)
Canisius #2 - 19:21 - Danford, Ben (McKellar, Duncan & Gibbons, Kyle)
Score - Canisius 2 Niagara 1 - Shots On Goal - Niagara 15-12.

Kevin Oklobzija ‏@kevinoDandC - Hugo Turcotte jams in a rebound and Niagara ties the score 2-2 vs. Canisius - 4:05 into the second period.

Kevin Oklobzija ‏@kevinoDandC - Niagara G Carsen Chubak flings up the glove to deny Ryan Bohrer on a rebound and Canisius and Purple Eagles still tied 2-2. 11:49 left 2nd.

Kevin Oklobzija ‏@kevinoDandC - Canisius goes up 3-2. Shot by Stephen Miller and maybe a tip by Tyler Wiseman. 8:24 into 2nd period.

GoGriffs ‏@GoGriffs - HCKY: GOAL! Tyler Wiseman tips a shot in for a 3-2 #Griffs lead. 11:36 left in the 2nd.

Kevin Oklobzija ‏@kevinoDandC - Niagara ties Canisius 3-3 at 13:11 of 2nd period. Giancarlo Iuorio with his 2nd of the game.

GoGriffs ‏@GoGriffs - HCKY: Duncan McKellar scores on the power play to give the #Griffs a 4-3 lead at the end of 2.

Kevin Oklobzija ‏@kevinoDandC - Canisius back on top, 4-3, as Tyler Wiseman sets up Duncan McKellar on the backdoor for a PPG with :20 left in 2nd period.

Scoring Summary - Second Period - AtlanticHockeyOnline.com -
Niagara #2 - 4:05 - Turcotte, Hugo (Kohls, Isaac)
Canisius #3 - 8:24 - Wiseman, Tyler (Miller, Stephen & McCrank, Mitch)
Niagara #3 - 13:11 - Iuorio, Giancarlo - 2nd - (Zanette, Marc & Ryan, Kevin)
Canisius #4 - 19:40 - PPG - McKellar, Duncan (Wiseman, Tyler & Farrell, Stephen)
Score - Canisius 4 Niagara 3 - Shots On Goal - Second - Niagara 18 Canisius 11 - Game - Niagara 33 Canisius 22.

Last edited by LaxSabre: 03-22-2013 at 05:36 PM.
Old
03-22-2013, 05:01 PM
LaxSabre

GoGriffs ‏@GoGriffs - HCKY: GOAL!! Tyler Wiseman nets his second of the day to give the #Griffs a 5-3 lead with 18:02 left in regulation.

Kevin Oklobzija ‏@kevinoDandC - Tyler Wiseman, busting down left of the slot, uses the backhand to flick a shot short side and Canisius leads Niagara 5-3 at 1:58 of 3rd.

Kevin Oklobzija ‏@kevinoDandC - Tyler Wiseman has 2 goals for #Canisius. The first 2-goal game for the sophomore right winger since Nov. 3 vs. #Clarkson.

GoGriffs ‏@GoGriffs - HCKY: Media timeout and Canisius still leads Niagara, 5-3, with 12:22 left in the 3rd.

Kevin Oklobzija ‏@kevinoDandC - Canisius RW Tyler Wiseman is younger brother of 12th-year AHL veteran Chad Wiseman (now of Albany Devils). 6-6-12 in 35 games for Griffs.

Kevin Oklobzija ‏@kevinoDandC - Even if Niagara loses to Canisius (Griffs up 5-3 with 10 mins left), the Purple Eagles have very good chance to be AHA's first at-large NCAA bid.

GoGriffs ‏@GoGriffs - HCKY: Final media timeout of the game and the #Griffs still lead, 5-3, with 4:50 remaining in regulation.

GoGriffs ‏@GoGriffs - HCKY: Niagara takes its timeout with 2:05 left and the empty net. Canisius leads, 5-3.

GoGriffs ‏@GoGriffs - HCKY: GRIFFS WIN!!!!! Canisius defeats Niagara, 5-3, to advance to its first Atlantic Hockey Championship.

Kevin Oklobzija ‏@kevinoDandC - Seventh-seeded #Canisius upsets top-seeded Niagara 5-3 in AHA semifinals to advance to Saturday's 7 p.m. title game in downtown Rochester.

Scoring Summary - 3rd Period - AtlanticHockeyOnline.com -
Canisius #5 - 1:58 - Wiseman, Tyler - (Miller, Stephen & McCrank, Mitch)
Shots On Goal - 3rd Period - Niagara 11 Canisius 8 - Game - Niagara 44 Canisius 29.

Kevin Oklobzija ‏@kevinoDandC - #Canisius outshot 44-29 but beat Niagara 5-3. Coach Dave Smith:"It was scary because I thought their top line was really, really dangerous."

Kevin Oklobzija ‏@kevinoDandC - #Canisius RW Kyle Gibbons after 5-3 win over Niagara: "This is definitely an accomplishment, not only for us but for our program."

Kevin Oklobzija ‏@kevinoDandC - #Canisius RW Tyler Wiseman on win over Niagara: "It's a pretty surreal experience. To be 1 game away from the NCAA tournament is special."

LaxSabre: Congrats Canisius on the win! Go win the title on Saturday!

Last edited by LaxSabre: 03-22-2013 at 08:09 PM.
Old
03-22-2013, 11:46 PM
LaxSabre

Griffs Advance to AHA Championship with 5-3 Win - Canisius College Athletics - GoGriffs.com - Friday, March 22.

Rochester, NY – The Canisius College hockey team advanced to its first Atlantic Hockey Championship with a 5-3 win over top-seeded and local rival Niagara on Friday afternoon. The Griffs extended the nation’s longest winning streak to seven games–a new program record–and improved to 18-18-5 overall. The 15th-ranked Purple Eagles drop to 23-9-5 with the loss.

“It was great team effort against a very good Niagara team, who is having a special season,” said Canisius head coach Dave Smith. “I’m really proud of the effort from everybody and the support in the stands from Canisius fans was outstanding.

Sophomore Tyler Wiseman led the Griffs with by matching a career-high with two tallies. Juniors Ben Danford and Duncan McKellar and sophomore Cody Freeman also added a goal for the Griffs. Junior Tony Capobianco anchored the Canisius defense with 41 saves and in the process set the Atlantic Hockey Tournament record for saves in a single championship with 201.

The Griffs now await their opponent for the title game, which will be held on Saturday at 7:05 pm ET in Rochester’s Blue Cross Arena. Fourth-seeded Connecticut and sixth-seeded Mercyhurst squared off in the second semifinal which starts at 7:00 pm ET.

http://www.gogriffs.com/ViewArticle....B_OEM_ID=20500

Boxscore - http://www.gogriffs.com/ViewArticle....CLID=206876362

Niagara's AHA Playoff Run Ends in 5-3 Loss to Canisius - Niagara University Athletics - PurpleEagles.com - Friday, March 22.

ROCHESTER, N.Y. - The No. 14/15 Niagara hockey team battled back from a goal down twice, but it was not enough as the Purple Eagles’ Atlantic Hockey playoff run ended in the semifinal round with a 5-3 loss to Canisius in an intense, high-scoring contest Friday afternoon in Rochester, N.Y.

The Purple Eagles’ NCAA tournament hopes are on hold after suffering their second consecutive AHA semifinal defeat, now waiting for Sunday’s NCAA selection show (LS: TV: LIVE - 9:00 pm ET on ESPNU) to determine whether the team will earn an at-large bid. Niagara has made three previous NCAA appearances while a member of College Hockey America, and would be the first AHA team in conference history to receive an at at-large bid.

Niagara would tie the contest twice in the second after falling behind a goal, but the Griffins pulled away with the game with an early third period tally that would give the Griffins a two-goal advantage and one NU could not dig themselves out of.

"Canisius was the better team tonight," head coach David Burkholder said. "They were very good defensively. We couldn't get through their neutral zone trap. Everyone coming in thought it would be a low scoring game, but they showed a little more grit and more passion than we did and now we're going home."

http://www.purpleeagles.com/news/201...322132105.aspx

Boxscore - http://collegehockeystats.net/1213/boxes/mcnsnia1.m22

Last edited by LaxSabre: 03-22-2013 at 11:56 PM.
Old
03-23-2013, 12:09 AM
LaxSabre

Canisius all smiles after knocking off top-seeded Niagara - Ben Kirst - USCHO Arena Reporter - USCHO.com - Friday, March 22.

ROCHESTER, NY. — Canisius coach Dave Smith held up the news conference after the Golden Griffins’ Atlantic Hockey semifinal victory to take a cell phone photo of sophomore winger Tyler Wiseman, who sat at the end of the elevated interview table, bedecked in a yellow construction helmet. “ Right now, I’m trying to focus on taking a picture of Tyler,” Smith said, drawing laughs from the room of reporters. “I’m going to send it to his brother.” “I don’t know if he has Instagram,” Wiseman noted. “He’s kind of old.”

Smith had good reason to be cheery. The Griffs, a seven seed entering the AHA playoffs, had just knocked off top-seeded Niagara 5-3 in an unexpected shootout on Friday afternoon at Blue Cross Arena. And Wiseman — whose brother is Albany Devils winger Chad Wiseman — had good reason to sport a workingman’s headwear. The sophomore winger from Burlington, Ontario, had just put in a blue-collar day at the rink, collecting a pair of goals and assisting on junior defenseman Duncan McKellar’s game-winning power play goal in the waning moments of the second period. “A few years ago [2009-10], RIT came in here and went on a good run, and it turned the program around,” Wiseman said. “We’re looking to do the same thing.”

http://www.uscho.com/2013/03/22/cani...eeded-niagara/

Mercyhurst Beats Connecticut 4-1 to advance to Atlantic Hockey Championship -
Mercyhurst Athletic Communications - AtlanticHockeyOnline.com - Friday, March 22.

ROCHESTER, NY – The Mercyhurst University men's hockey team spotted the Huskies of Connecticut a goal in the opening period, but then rattled off the final four goals of the night to skate away with a 4-1 victory in the Atlantic Hockey Association Semifinals on Friday night from the Blue Cross Arena in Rochester, NY. Mercyhurst improved to 19-16-5 overall while Connecticut ended its season with a 19-14-4 overall mark. The Lakers advance to the Atlantic Hockey Association Championship game for the first time since the 2008-09 season, where Mercyhurst fell to Air Force 2-0 at the Blue Cross Arena. Mercyhurst will play against long-time rival Canisius, who advanced to the title game with a 5-3 upset over top-seeded Niagara in the first semifinal.

http://www.atlantichockeyonline.com/...recap032213sf2

Boxscore - http://www.atlantichockeyonline.com/...30322_91ip.xml

Tibbett lays claim to Mercyhurst’s starting goalie job with fourth playoff win -
Ben Kirst - USCHO Arena Reporter - USCHO.com - Friday, March 22.

ROCHESTER, N.Y — Only history stood between Mercyhurst goaltender Jordan Tibbett and his second consecutive shutout on Friday night. Tibbett allowed one goal in the Lakers’ 4-1 win over Connecticut in the Atlantic Hockey semifinal at Blue Cross Arena, a first-period dribbler by winger Trevor Gerling that was swatted clear of the Mercyhurst net the moment it crossed the goal line. It led to the first-ever video replay in the AHA playoffs, confirming that Tibbett had allowed his first goal since the second period of the Lakers’ 3-2 win over Holy Cross in the opening game of the quarterfinals last Friday. “The puck jumped on his stick and made its way through my body,” Tibbett said. “They called it a goal.”
Did he think it was in? “I think we’ll go with what the ref said,” Tibbett responded dryly.

The 6-foot-1, 185-pound goaltender from Indianapolis was not beaten again. Tibbett — 4-0 in the Atlantic Hockey playoffs with four goals allowed, including a 1-0 shutout in last Sunday’s quarterfinal elimination game at Holy Cross — stopped 31 shots and held down the fort while the Lakers found their legs after a wobbly first period. “He’s a great goaltender,” Mercyhurst coach Rick Gotkin said. “He’s also a great kid. We’ve seen Jordan, the past two years, show signs of becoming the kind of goaltender that we’ve seen these last couple of weeks.”

http://www.uscho.com/2013/03/22/tibb...h-playoff-win/

Atlantic Hockey Blog - First time for everything: a few from the Atlantic Hockey semifinals -
By Ed Trefzger - Senior Writer - USCHO.com - Friday, March 22.

http://www.uscho.com/atlantic-hockey...ey-semifinals/

Last edited by LaxSabre: 03-23-2013 at 12:15 AM.
Old
03-23-2013, 09:41 AM
LaxSabre

Conference Tournament Scores - Semifinals - Friday, March 22.

Atlantic Hockey Conference Tournament - Blue Cross Arena - Rochester, New York.
Semifinal #1 - #7-Canisius 5 - #1-Niagara 3 - Canisius advances.
Semifinal #2 - #6-Mercyhurst 4 - #3-Connecticut 1 - Mercyhurst advances.

ECAC Conference Tournament - Boardwalk Hall - Atlantic City, New Jersey.
Semifinal #1 - #7-Brown 4 - #1-Quinnipiac 0 - Brown advances.
Semifinal #2 - #4-Union 5 - #3-Yale 0 - Union advances.

Hockey East Conference Tournament - Semifinals - TD Bank Garden - Boston, Massachusetts.
Semifinal #1 - #3-Boston University 6 - #2-Boston College 3 - Boston University advances.
Semifinal #2 - #1-Massachusetts-Lowell 2 - #4-Providence 1 - Massachusetts-Lowell advances.

WCHA Conference Tournament - Semifinals - Xcel Energy Center - St. Paul, Minnesota.
Semifinal #1 - #4-Wisconsin 4 - #1-St. Cloud State 1 - Wisconsin advances.
Semifinal #2 - #6-Colorado College 2 - #2-Minnesota 0 - Colorado College advances.

Conference Tournament Schedule - Semifinals/Championship Finals - Saturday, March 23.

CCHA Conference Tournament - Semifinals - Joe Louis Arena - Detroit, Michigan.
1:00 pm ET - Semifinal #1 - #3-Ohio State vs #2-Notre Dame - TV: LIVE - FS Detroit Plus/FCS Pacific/MSG Plus.
4:00 pm ET - Semifinal #2 - #4-Michigan vs #1-Miami, Ohio - TV: LIVE - FS Detroit Plus/FCS Pacific.
(Tape Delay - Sunday, March 24 - 1:00 am ET - MSG Plus)

Atlantic Hockey Conference Tournament - Championship Final - Blue Cross Arena - Rochester, New York.
7:00 pm ET - Championship Final - #7-Canisius vs #6-Mercyhurst - TV: LIVE - TWCSC Buffalo/Rochester.

WCHA Conference Tournament - Championship Final - Xcel Energy Center - St. Paul, Minnesota.
8:00 pm ET - Championship Final - #4-Wisconsin vs #3-Colorado College - TV: LIVE - FS North/FCS Pacific.

Hockey East Conference Tournament - Championship Final - TD Bank Garden - Boston, Massachusetts.
7:00 pm ET - Championship Final - #3-Boston University vs #1-Massachusetts-Lowell - TV: LIVE - NBCSN/NESN Plus.

ECAC Conference Tournament - Third Place/Championship Final - Boardwalk Hall - Atlantic City, New Jersey.
4:00 pm ET - Third Place - #3-Yale vs #1-Quinnipiac - TV: None.
7:00 pm ET - Championship Final - #7-Brown vs #4-Union - TV: LIVE - FCS Atlantic.

TV IDs - TWCSC - Time Warner Cable Sports Channel - FS - Fox Sports - FCS - Fox College Sports -
NBCSN - NBC Sports Network - NESN - New England Sports Network - MSG - Madison Square Garden (Network)

Last edited by LaxSabre: 03-23-2013 at 09:54 AM.
Old
03-23-2013, 11:13 AM
joshjull

Go Griffs!!!

One more upset to go!

joshjull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 01:47 PM
jflory81
Irken Elite

Send a message via AIM to jflory81
Nothing good happened for Niagara in terms of gaining an at-large bid yesterday, but chances are they will still get one. The following isn't the only way to get in (the pairwise system they use for at-large bids can get complicated, even with so few games left), but ANY of the following results will clinch a spot for Niagara:

1) Quinnipac beats Yale in the 3rd place ECAC game
2) Massachutts-Lowell beats Boston U. in the Hockey East title game
3) The CCHA tourney ends in a final other than Ohio State vs. Michigan if Wisconsin wins the WCHA tournament.
4) If Colorado College wins the WCHA tournament, either Miami or Notre dame winning the CCHA gets Niagara in.

I don't think the Mercyhurst-Canisius result has any result on whether Niagara gets in or not.

jflory81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 06:15 PM
jflory81
Irken Elite

Send a message via AIM to jflory81
And Niagara is in by virtue of Yale losing the ECAC 3rd place game. They'll almost certainly be a 3 seed and the winner of Mercyhurst/Cansiuis will be a 4 (and 16th overall)

jflory81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 06:50 PM
mti79

And Canisius has a 1-0 lead after one period. Kyle Gibbons in the final minute of the 1st has put the Golden Griffs out in front. WHOOO!!!!

mti79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 07:00 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jflory81 View Post
And Niagara is in by virtue of Yale losing the ECAC 3rd place game. They'll almost certainly be a 3 seed and the winner of Mercyhurst/Cansiuis will be a 4 (and 16th overall)
And barring a win by Brown, the AHA winner will be headed to Providence to play #1 overall seed Quinnipiac. (If Brown wins, they will be the #4 seed in Providence since they are hosting the regional...so the Quinnipiac/AHA matchup would probably be in Manchester instead).

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 09:46 PM
Puppa2Miller

Wisconsin (along with Jake McCabe) win the WCHA tournament and advance to the NCAAs

Puppa2Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 10:39 PM
joshjull

My Griffs do it again!!!!!!

http://blogs.buffalonews.com/campus/...key-title.html

Quote:
Canisius built a 3-0 lead and the goals poured on in the third as the Golden Griffins defeated Mercyhurst, 7-2, in the Atlantic Hockey Championship at Blue Cross Arena.
Quote:
The Griffs become the lowest seed to win the Atlantic Hockey title. They came in as the seventh seed and defeated No. 2 Air Force and No. 1 Niagara en route to the title game.
Quote:
Canisius gets the league's automatic bid into the NCAA tournament. It's the first championship for the Griffs and their first time in the NCAA tourney.

joshjull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 12:58 AM
LaxSabre

Griffs Win 2013 Atlantic Hockey Championship! - Canisius College Athletics - GoGriffs.com - Saturday, March 23.

Rochester, NY. – The Canisius College hockey team won its first Atlantic Hockey Championship on Saturday night, taking the title with a 7-2 win over Mercyhurst at the Blue Cross Arena. The Griffs earned the league’s automatic bid to the NCAA Tournament and are set to make their first-ever appearance in the national bracket. Canisius improves to 19-18-5 with the win, extending the nation’s longest active winning streak to eight games.

Junior Kyle Gibbons led the Canisius offense – which scored a season-high seven goals – to the win. The junior recorded a career-best four points on the night, scoring two goals and adding two assists to earn Tournament MVP honors. Joining Gibbons on the All-Tournament Team is sophomore forward Tyler Wiseman, junior defender Ben Danford and junior goaltender Tony Capobianco along with Paul Chiasson and Nick Jones of Mercyhurst.

Freshman Ralph Cuddemi matched Gibbons with a career-best two goals in the winning effort with seniors Torrey Lindsay and Ben Parker and sophomore Cody Freeman each adding a tally. Capobianco anchored the Griffs’ defensive effort with 34 saves in the winning effort. The junior netminder finished with a tournament-record 235 saves in six games, posting a 1.99 goals against average and .951 save percentage.

Canisius now awaits its opponent in the NCAA Tournament. The selection show will air on Sunday night at 9:00 pm ET - televised by ESPNU.

http://www.gogriffs.com/ViewArticle....B_OEM_ID=20500

Boxscore - http://www.gogriffs.com/ViewArticle....CLID=206896362

Photo Gallery - http://tomwolf.smugmug.com/GoGriffs/...5854&k=CwFZGCg

Last edited by LaxSabre: 03-24-2013 at 01:36 AM.
Old
03-24-2013, 01:12 AM
LaxSabre

Gibbons, Canisius crush Mercyhurst for first Atlantic Hockey Championship - Ben Kirst - Arena Reporter - USCHO.com Saturday, March 23.

ROCHESTER, NY — This year, Cinderella wears a Golden slipper. Junior winger Kyle Gibbons’ four points tied a career high and the vaunted Canisius defense shut down the nation’s 14th-ranked offense as the surprising Golden Griffins (19-18-5) won the Atlantic Hockey playoff tournament with a 7-2 win over Mercyhurst at Blue Cross Arena. The Griffs, who entered the postseason as the seventh seed, earned an automatic berth in the NCAA tournament — the first in program history. No seven-seed had previously won the AHA title.

Gibbons earned the most valuable player award for the weekend, collecting two goals and four assists in the two Canisius victories. “What a surreal experience,” Gibbons said. “I’m speechless. I can’t do it without any of those other guys in the locker room. Individual accomplishments are special, but you can’t really achieve them without a team game.”

The all-tournament team included Gibbons and Canisius goaltender Tony Capobianco and defenseman Ben Danford. Mercyhurst senior forward Paul Chiasson and junior defenseman Nick Jones were also honored.

Early projections have the Griffs facing Quinnipiac in the first round of the NCAA tournament. The Bobcats were regular-season ECAC champions, finished third in the postseason tournament and are currently ranked second in the USCHO.com Division I Men’s Poll.
Atlantic Hockey rival Niagara is also expected to make the tournament with an at-large bid.

http://www.uscho.com/recaps/2013/03/...-championship/

Canisius rides streak into NCAAs: ‘We knew we had it in us’ - Ed Trefzger - Senior Writer - USCHO.com - Saturday, March 23. http://www.uscho.com/2013/03/23/cani...-had-it-in-us/

New replay system gets a workout in Atlantic Hockey Championship - Scott Biggar - Senior Writer - USCHO.com - Saturday, March 23.

ROCHESTER, NY. — Atlantic Hockey allowed video replay for the first time during this year’s final two rounds at Blue Cross Arena. The arena’s main tenant is the AHL Rochester Americans, who have the building wired to facilitate video replays from multiple angles to be viewed by the on-ice officials. “As we go to the national tournament, we want our guys to understand how the video review system works. We have the ability to do that here,” said Eugene Binda, the Atlantic Hockey supervisor of officials.

http://www.uscho.com/2013/03/23/new-...-championship/

Photo Gallery - Saturday at the Atlantic Hockey Championship Final - Canisius 7 Mercyhurst 2.
Omar Phillips - Photographer - USCHO.com - Saturday, March 23.
http://www.uscho.com/photos/2013/03/...hampionship-2/

Last edited by LaxSabre: 03-24-2013 at 01:38 AM.
Old
03-24-2013, 01:37 AM
LaxSabre

NCAA Hockey Championship Selection Show Sunday on ESPNU -

This year’s 16-team field for the NCAA Division I Men’s Ice Hockey Championship will be revealed during the NCAA Hockey Championship Selection Show Presented by Northwestern Mutual which will be televised LIVE on ESPNU on Sunday, March 24 at 9:00 pm ET.

Host Anish Shroff will be joined by hockey analysts Barry Melrose and Dave Starman to discuss the five automatic qualifiers and eleven
at-large teams that will play in the Regionals round airing on ESPNU the following weekend - Friday, March 29-Sunday, March 31.

The show will also feature special in-studio guests from the Quinnipiac University hockey team as they look to secure a No. 1 seed and
make only their second appearance in the NCAA championship since becoming a Division I team in 1998-99.

2013 NCAA Hockey Regionals Live Across ESPN Networks - Frozen Four Set For ESPN/ESPN2 -
http://espnmediazone.com/us/press-re...set-for-espn2/

Last edited by LaxSabre: 03-24-2013 at 06:39 AM.
Old
03-24-2013, 01:53 AM
Husko

Was at the game - great day to be a Griffs fan! So amazing! Woot!

Husko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 06:56 AM
LaxSabre

Conference Tournament Scores - Semifinals/Third Place Finals/Championship Finals - Saturday, March 23.

Atlantic Hockey Conference Championship Final - Blue Cross Arena - Rochester, New York.
#7-Canisius College Golden Griffins - 7 - #6-Mercyhurst Lakers 2.
2013 Atlantic Hockey Conference Tournament Champions - Canisius Golden Griffins.

WCHA Conference Tournament Championship Final - Xcel Center - St. Paul, Minnesota.
#4-Wisconsin Badgers 3 - #3-Colorado College Tigers 2.
2013 WCHA Conference Tournament Champions - Wisconsin Badgers.

Hockey East Tournament Championship Final - TD Bank Garden - Boston, Massachusetts.
#1-Massachusetts-Lowell Redhawks 1 - #3-Boston University Terriers 0.
2013 Hockey East Tournament Champions - Massachusetts-Lowell Redhawks.

ECAC Tournament Third Place Final/Championship Final - Boardwalk Hall - Atlantic City, New Jersey.
Third Place Final - #1-Quinnipiac Bobcats 3 - #3-Yale Bulldogs 0.
Championship Final - #4-Union Dutchmen 3 - #7-Brown Bears 1.
2013 ECAC Conference Tournament Champions - Union Dutchmen.

CCHA Tournament Semifinals - Joe Louis Arena - Detroit, Michigan.
Semifinal #1 - #3-Notre Dame 3 - #2-Ohio State 1. Semifinal #2 - #4-Michigan 6 - #1-Miami, Ohio 2.

Conference Tournament Schedule - Championship Finals - Sunday, March 24.

CCHA Conference Tournament - Championship Final - Joe Louis Arena - Detroit, Michigan.
2:00 pm ET - #4-Michigan vs #2-Notre Dame -
TV: LIVE - Fox Sports Detroit - Fox College Sports Atlantic - Madison Square Garden Network Plus.

NCAA Tournament Selection Show - 9:00 pm ET - TV: LIVE on ESPNU/ESPN3.com/WatchESPN.com

Classic College Hockey - 2012 NCAA Tournament Championship Final - Boston College vs Ferris State - 7:00 pm ET-9:00 pm ET - ESPNU.

Last edited by LaxSabre: 03-24-2013 at 07:31 AM.
Old
03-24-2013, 07:25 AM
LaxSabre

Griffs rout Mercyhurst, roll into NCAAs.
Amy Moritz - Sports Reporter - Buffalo News Newspaper/Buffalo News.com - Saturday, March 23.

ROCHESTER, NY — With each win, they kept gaining confidence. And with each step of confidence, they kept winning. The Canisius hockey team continued its improbable run Saturday night. The seventh-seeded Golden Griffins left Rochester with the Atlantic Hockey championship trophy and the league’s automatic bid to the NCAA Tournament. They earned that with a 7-2 win over Mercyhurst in front of 887 at Blue Cross Arena. The Griffs (19-18-5) will find out their NCAA fate at 9:00 pm ET today during the selection show on ESPNU.

It’s been quite a turnaround for Canisius, which looked like a team limping to the end of the season in February when it lost five straight. But even on the losing streak, few things changed for the Griffs. There were tweaks with lines and combinations. There were small adjustments made to practices. But the work and the focus remained consistent. Finally in the last regular-season series against RIT, it started to show. The Griffs have rolled from there, having won eight straight games and earning their first NCAA hockey bid ever.

While Canisius gets the automatic bid, rival Niagara will receive an at-large invitation to the NCAA field of 16. The Purple Eagles’ PairWise ranking Saturday night was high enough to qualify them for the tournament. It’s the first time Atlantic Hockey has placed two teams in the field. Canisius defeated Niagara, 5-3, Friday afternoon in a semifinal game at Blue Cross Arena.

http://www.buffalonews.com/apps/pbcs...130329530/1004

Griffs land knockout punch, beat Niagara to reach Atlantic Hockey final - Niagara must hope for at-large bid.
Amy Moritz - Sports Reporter - Buffalo News Newspaper/BuffaloNews.com - Friday, March 22.

ROCHESTER, NY. — He came to the podium wearing a yellow hard hat. It’s a tradition for the Canisius hockey team, a post-game award given to the player deemed the hardest worker of the night by his teammates. Sophomore Tyler Wiseman had never worn the hard hat. He came into Friday’s Atlantic Hockey semifinal with just nine points. But in one of the biggest games in recent program history, Wiseman scored twice and set-up the game-winning goal as the Golden Griffins knocked out top-seeded and nationally ranked Niagara, 5-3, at Blue Cross Arena.

The Griffs will face Mercyhurst, which defeated Connecticut, 4-1, in the second semifinal, in the Atlantic Hockey Championship tonight
(7:00 pm ET - TV: LIVE - TWSC Buffalo - Channel 25 or 52). It was the seventh straight win for Canisius, its longest winning streak in the Division I era. The Griffs improved to 18-18-5 as their five-game losing streak in February seems like a distant memory.

http://www.buffalonews.com/apps/pbcs...130329589/1092

Canisius cruises to AHA title, NCAA berth -
Kevin Oklobzija - Staff Writer - Rochester Democrat and Chronicle Newspaper - DemocratAndChronicle.com - Saturday, March 23.

ROCHESTER, NY - Like the Rochester Institute of Technology Tigers before them, the Canisius College Golden Griffins consider their just-won berth in the NCAA tournament a major stepping stone for their hockey program. The Griffins earned the school’s first trip to the big dance on ice by throttling Mercyhurst 7-2 in the Atlantic Hockey Association championship game on Saturday night.

“We don’t know where it’s going to end, but I think all of us have a vision on how special Canisius hockey can be in the future,” coach Dave Smith said.

When RIT won the AHA, the Tigers didn’t stop rolling. They upended Denver and New Hampshire en route to the East Regional championship and a berth in the NCAA Frozen Four. From it came the momentum for fundraising on a new rink, and the Gene Polisseni Center is under construction now on the RIT campus.

“They’ve got a new rink, it’s turned their program around,” said Canisius junior right winger Kyle Gibbons, who on Saturday scored the first two goals and assisted on the last two in winning tournament MVP honors. “I hope we can have a run like that,” Gibbons said. “I’m super excited, but we’ve still got a long road.”

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/...tle-NCAA-berth

Last edited by LaxSabre: 03-30-2013 at 07:24 AM.
Old
03-24-2013, 08:25 AM
LaxSabre

Bracketology Blog - One game left, two scenarios, two brackets.
Jayson Moy - Senior Writer - USCHO.com - Sunday, March 24.

There’s one more game left to be played and it will decide which team will be the last to make it into the NCAA tournament. Let’s put the bracket prediction down first, and then we’ll explain how we got there after that. Since we have two different scenarios, let’s lay out two different brackets depending upon who wins the CCHA championship game.

(LaxSabre - click on link for the complete brackets as well as for more commentary by Jayson on how he got these scenarios. To save some room - I just posted the regional sites in the two scenarios that listed Canisius and Niagara.)

Scenario #1 — Michigan wins the CCHA tournament - If Michigan wins the CCHA and the automatic bid, then Yale is the last team out. Midwest Regional (Toledo, Ohio): #13-St. Cloud State vs. #4- Miami, Ohio. #10-Niagara vs. #6-North Dakota. East Regional (Providence, Rhode Island): #16-Canisius vs. #1-Quinnipiac. #12 Union vs. #5-Boston College.

Scenario #2 — Notre Dame wins the CCHA tournament - If Notre Dame wins the CCHA and the automatic bid, Yale is the last team in with an at-large bid and Michigan is the last team out. West Regional (Grand Rapids, Mich.): #15-Yale vs. #2-Minnesota. #10-Niagara vs. #8-North Dakota. East Regional (Providence, Rhode Island): #16-Canisius vs. #1-Quinnipiac. #12-Union vs. #6-Boston College.

http://www.uscho.com/bracketology/20...-two-brackets/

LaxSabre - Well we know the Griffins first opponent for sure will be Quinnipiac while Jayson has the Purple Eagles first opponent as North Dakota. Where Niagara plays according to Jayson depends on who wins the CCHA - Michigan - the Purple Eagles go to Toledo, Ohio - Notre Dame - the Purple Eagles go to Grand Rapids, Michigan. (I would like to see the second happen as I not only get to have my Irish win the final CCHA Conference Tournament Title but I know some former WNYers who live near Grand Rapids who would love to see Niagara play.)

As for where Canisius will play, it will be Providence, Rhode Island no matter who wins this afternoon. Quinnipiac is slated there because they are the "home team" - NCAA likes to have send the teams to regional sites that are close for attendence purposes. (If NCAA decides to give Buffalo a shot at hosting a NCAA regional before they give us another shot at hosting the Frozen Four - Canisius or Niagara do well and make it that year - they will be playing at the First Niagara Center. Hope thats soon!) The other matchup in Providence, Rhode Island will be Union vs Boston College, no matter who wins between Notre Dame and Michigan this afternoon.

You can watch the final CCHA Conference Tournament Final - 2:00 pm ET - LIVE on Fox Sports Detroit - Fox Sports Atlantic or on Madison Square Garden Network Plus. Prediction: ND 4 MICH 2 - Go Notre Dame! Beat Michigan!

Last edited by LaxSabre: 03-24-2013 at 02:16 PM.
Old
03-24-2013, 01:32 PM
thefifagod
I'm The Survivor

Can't wait to see who Canisius draws and where they are playing, might have to take a trip next weekend.

thefifagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 02:06 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefifagod View Post
Can't wait to see who Canisius draws and where they are playing, might have to take a trip next weekend.
Canisius draws Quinnipiac. Using the PairWise, Quinnipiac is locked into 1st overall, Canisius into 16th. It will be in Providence, since that's the closest regional to Quinnipiac. Regardless what happens today in the CCHA Championship Game, that matchup is set in stone.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote