Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Notices

The Rebuilding of the C of Red - Rebuilding Thread

Old
03-23-2013, 03:40 PM
Flamesarmstrong22

vCash: 500
[QUOTE=DBU;62233207]On the bolded:

Flyers - with rumors that Talbot is available, I'd rather have them include Talbot over Read in a deal like that.

Never in a million years should anyone choose talbot over read. Read is 26 years old and has the ability to be a 2nd line scoring RW, talbot on the other hand is a 4C, 3C at BEST. I really can see no reason why you or anyone else would pick max talbot over Matt read

Flamesarmstrong22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 04:31 PM
Volica

If Calgary were to trade Jay Bouw, I'd hope to God they would get actually pieces.
There's no reason to trade him just for the sake of trading him, get the right pieces, he's a top pair D-man on every single team in the league this year, absolutely no reason he should be given away for a bag of pucks.

I'd expect him to either stay a Flame, or get a major piece coming back.
If he goes to Philly, and they're only talking about the likes of Read/Talbot, I'd simply pass; 3rd liners in this league are a dime a dozen, in fact, look at Calgary's prospect system, it's chocked full of them.
They were fine about letting go of those first round picks for Weber, send one Calgary's way, then talk about Read and the rest of the gang, if the first is unwilling, I have little to no interest in Laughton, Read or Talbot, we have enough of those.

Volica is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 05:13 PM
DBU
Bruinwagoner

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesarmstrong22 View Post
Never in a million years should anyone choose talbot over read. Read is 26 years old and has the ability to be a 2nd line scoring RW, talbot on the other hand is a 4C, 3C at BEST. I really can see no reason why you or anyone else would pick max talbot over Matt read
Oh well I beg your pardon.

Read is a 2nd/3rd line tweener and we have literally two handfuls of those. Talbot is a center who can win faceoffs and contribute on the PK (which ours is 23rd overall in the NHL).

So there, now you can see my reason why I would pick Max Talbot over Matt Read.

DBU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 05:35 PM
Calculon
unholy acting talent

Flames and Devils have apparently been scouting each other for a while now. The Devils have a lot forward contracts coming off the books at the end of this season, so it's possible they could be a dark horse in the potential Iginla sweepstakes as they look to go all in, but that seems unlikely; they're pretty strong on the RW.

More likely I think, they're looking at one of Bouwmeester, Giordano, Tanguay or Cammalleri. They could use a top four defensemen as well as an upgrade on the LW. And they can afford to fit in the salary and term of those guys with ease next season. Biggest problem is that they don't have a first in the upcoming draft as they have to forfeit it to the league as a result of Kovachuk sanctions.

Calculon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 06:37 PM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calculon View Post
Flames and Devils have apparently been scouting each other for a while now. The Devils have a lot forward contracts coming off the books at the end of this season, so it's possible they could be a dark horse in the potential Iginla sweepstakes as they look to go all in, but that seems unlikely; they're pretty strong on the RW.

More likely I think, they're looking at one of Bouwmeester, Giordano, Tanguay or Cammalleri. They could use a top four defensemen as well as an upgrade on the LW. And they can afford to fit in the salary and term of those guys with ease next season. Biggest problem is that they don't have a first in the upcoming draft as they have to forfeit it to the league as a result of Kovachuk sanctions.
If I had to guess it is most likely for Cammy, they have alot of defense but need some scoring.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 06:52 PM
Calculon
unholy acting talent

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHudlinator View Post
If I had to guess it is most likely for Cammy, they have alot of defense but need some scoring.
Looking at the Devils board, they mentioned they could use some more players skilled in passing, which was why I included Tanguay. Could be the Flames think that if they're moving Iginla, why keep Tanguay? But Cammalleri could be a good fit there too. They have a few prospects they're down on in Tedenby and Josefson, and then there's Urbom and Gelinas on defence.

Old
03-23-2013, 06:56 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Looking at the Devils board, they mentioned they could use some more players skilled in passing, which was why I included Tanguay. Could be the Flames think that if they're moving Iginla, why keep Tanguay? But Cammalleri could be a good fit there too. They have a few prospects they're down on in Tedenby and Josefson, and then there's Urbom and Gelinas on defence.
I doubt they move a first as they have to give up next years if not this years so I would try for Merrill, but yea Tanguay could be a good fit too.

Old
03-23-2013, 07:03 PM
Calculon
unholy acting talent

Quote:
I doubt they move a first as they have to give up next years if not this years so I would try for Merrill, but yea Tanguay could be a good fit too.
Merrill+ would work for either Cammalleri or Tanguay. Maybe they add a 2nd to make up for Calgary's lack of one.

Old
03-23-2013, 07:08 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Merrill+ would work for either Cammalleri or Tanguay. Maybe they add a 2nd to make up for Calgary's lack of one.
Yea I think that would work I might want Josefson/Tedenby instead but the value seems right.

Old
03-23-2013, 07:20 PM
Calculon
unholy acting talent

Quote:
Yea I think that would work I might want Josefson/Tedenby instead but the value seems right.
The going rate for prospects like Josefson and Tedenby seem to be pegged at around a 5th round pick. With the way both have struggled, there's a chance they could be out of the NHL entirely soon. A 2nd seems like a safer bet.

And apparently the Hawks are interested in a 'big piece' now too. A bidding war would be so very helpful at this point.

Old
03-23-2013, 07:23 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
The going rate for prospects like Josefson and Tedenby seem to be pegged at around a 5th round pick. With the way both have struggled, there's a chance they could be out of the NHL entirely soon. A 2nd seems like a safer bet.

And apparently the Hawks are interested in a 'big piece' now too. A bidding war would be so very helpful at this point.
Yea maybe they add Tedenby and we add a late pick.

So Merrill + 2nd + Tedenby for Tanguay + 6th.

Think Chicago will want Stajan more than anything.

Old
03-23-2013, 07:54 PM
Calculon
unholy acting talent

Quote:
Yea maybe they add Tedenby and we add a late pick.

So Merrill + 2nd + Tedenby for Tanguay + 6th.

Think Chicago will want Stajan more than anything.
That seems pretty fair.

Don't know if the Hawks can fit Stajan's cap hit next season. Flames might have to retain some of his cap hit.

Old
03-23-2013, 08:18 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
That seems pretty fair.

Don't know if the Hawks can fit Stajan's cap hit next season. Flames might have to retain some of his cap hit.
Gladly Stajan at 2 million for Frolik + 2nd?

Old
03-23-2013, 08:29 PM
Calculon
unholy acting talent

Quote:
Gladly Stajan at 2 million for Frolik + 2nd?
Seems about right. Only issue going forward is what do the Flames do at centre moving forward. Backlund would be the only NHL capable centre on the roster going into next season if Stajan was moved. That could be mitigated by overpaying a UFA centre in the summer, someone like Bozak, Ribeiro, MacDonald, etc, but that's no guarantee. So maybe Krueger + 2nd?

Old
03-23-2013, 08:31 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Seems about right. Only issue going forward is what do the Flames do at centre moving forward. Backlund would be the only NHL capable centre on the roster going into next season if Stajan was moved. That could be mitigated by overpaying a UFA centre in the summer, someone like Bozak, Ribeiro, MacDonald, etc, but that's no guarantee. So maybe Krueger + 2nd?
I doubt they give up Kruger but I would do it.

I also see us overpaying for several UFAs most likely Bozak/Ribeiro and Horton/Ryder and pick up a defenseman like White or Murray.

Old
03-23-2013, 10:08 PM
Schalkenullvier*

If flames ownership were willing to retain big time salary, some of the assets would speed up a rebuild big time. Cammy at 4 mil or Jay-bo at 5 mil are incredibly valuable assets. But you can't expect that in real life, sadly.

Schalkenullvier* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 11:39 PM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

vCash: 133
Quote:

Please let this happen. Devils are my 2nd team so I would still see Iginla play lots of games and I really could cheer for him and the team in the Playoffs. If the return is right that is.

InfinityIggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 01:11 AM
Volica

A name that I've been following this year, and wouldn't mind seeing on a new look Flames team, is Nathan Horton.

Pretty much embodies what you want from one of your top 2 wingers. Could you imagine:

Sven - Barkov - Horton
a couple seasons from now, yikes. A lot of size/skill especially on right side of that.

Old
03-24-2013, 03:19 AM
FlamesFanatic12
The Next Owski

I still think we should hang onto Bouwmeester until next season's trade deadline. He's been playing great under the new coach this season, and say we were to purge our forward ranks for picks/prospects, keeping a strong/deep defensive core can still keep us potentially competitive for a playoff spot. I'm in favor of the rebuild, just not the tanking method, it's their jobs to play professional hockey, I still expect the team to try to win.

But I do think that at next years trade deadline, as a pending free agent, and after over a year of playing well, we will get the absolute most value for Bouwmeester, I really don't see the point in trading him now. I'd be in favor of trading Kiprusoff, but with his play this season, I don't think anyone in the league would take him, at least not for anything even remotely worth it.

This yearm whether it be at the deadline or at the entry draft, I would look to trade Iginla/Cammalleri/TanguayStempniak. Iginla will get some good value back as a rental, and then it's up to him if he wants to resign on July 1. I'd welcome him back if he wanted to finish his career here. I just think we need the assets from trading him right now. Cammalleri is having a decent season, and next year is the last year on his contract. If we were to retain 2.5-3 of his cap hit, I think it would make him extremely appealing and ideal on the trade market, whether it is at the deadline or draft. If you could get Cammalleri for one season at a 3 million cap hit, wouldn't that appeal to you? Then Tanguay has been quite productive over the last couple of seasons, and just plays well all around, creates good chances, is a good skater, and despite the term on his contract, it is still only 3.5 a year for a fantastic second line player with good skills, we could potentially get a 1st for him, and if not that, a second rounder and decent prospect. Stempniak is one I am not dead set on trading away, we'd probably get at most a second, so I wouldn't mind hanging onto him for next year, but one of the guys who could still garner some interest.

This way, we keep the Glencross/Stajan/Hudler grouping together, who have been really good for us.

FlamesFanatic12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 10:03 AM
Volica

Well Folks.

The first card has been played. The Captain, the heart and soul of this team has been traded from the Calgary Flames. As per Bob McKenzie; Jay Bouwmeester's name has been dancing around in Detroit recently, and there's a strong chance that he gets shipped off.

Guess we figure out what's going on with the rest of the team now. There's a lot of pieces that can be dealt for a return, I only hope to God for some reason all we don't get are NCAA prospects.

Old
04-03-2013, 07:22 AM
scoringmachine

The way the Flames traded Iginla and Jaybo. I feel the team is going into a rebuild mode even if Feaster does not want to admit it. We are currently stock piling picks and prospects. This year their will be lots of UFA and trades going down as the cap is going to drop and teams need to shed salary. Pittsburgh is one such team that cannot resign all the players they picked up. One of Iginla or Morrow will be gone and Doug Murray may also leave. Now that we have seen what Feaster has done as of April 2nd, 2013 what else should he do to help the rebuild.

I read other threads of consistent complaining about the prospects we received. But if you think about it the more prospects that we have the better the chances of having a few pan out and play for the Flames. If the Blues can make the playoffs we will have three first round picks and maybe 4 if we trade Kipper on deadline or during draft time as he is considered one of the top goalies in the league. If Wiseboro can do what he does best and get us some good prospects in this years draft. It will not take long to have young NHL quality players on the team. Look at this years deadline deals and you will realize that most of the players traded will become UFA at the end of the season and Calgary can go after some of those players.

I have not been following hockey much this year so I do not know what players we should go after but I would hope they keep Kipper and trade him during the 2014 season if Ramo plays to what we expect in the NHL. If not then at least we have a fall back plan in using Kipper. We need to find defense that can eat the minutes that Jaybo was capable of doing. Find a number one center and the only person I could think of is Mike Ribero. If Backlund can stay healthy he can become our 2nd line center. Stajan our third line center. Who should be our backup goalie if we trade Kipper. I hope it is not to Toronto as they do have what we are looking for in a player. Kipper should net a return like Iginla.

The question I ask is what should we do before 2014 season starts.

scoringmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 03:31 PM
herashak

vCash: 157
murray edwards told feaster he wants the flames in the playoffs next year. prepare for a terrible rebuild.

herashak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 03:40 PM
Stewie Griffin
Bruinswagoner #4762

Quote:
Originally Posted by herashak View Post
murray edwards told feaster he wants the flames in the playoffs next year. prepare for a terrible rebuild.
Source?

Stewie Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 03:41 PM
DBU
Bruinwagoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie Griffin View Post
Source?
It was in Feaster's press conference.

This is the worst.

DBU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 03:44 PM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

Feaster was just on the Fan 960 and spoke on that comment, and explained that the whole "making the playoffs next year" comment is basically the organization letting players know they get no free pass and expect every player who plays here to compete like they were trying to make the playoffs. Doesn't sound like they're bailing on the rebuild by any means or like they're planing on going after "win-now" players.

StreakingRed is offline   Reply With Quote