HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

David Taylor

View Poll Results: What?
Great 4 5.80%
Good 50 72.46%
Bad 12 17.39%
Terrible 3 4.35%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Old
08-06-2006, 01:40 AM
kingsfan25

vCash: 500
David Taylor

Rate him. Good GM or bad Gm or Mike Milbury bad Gm?

I think he did some very solid things with this organization...he might not have been able to carry it to the level of contender, but I think that, on the whole, despite his committment to AM, he was a decent manager for this team.

kingsfan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2006, 02:16 AM
Kingz4life

Send a message via AIM to Kingz4life
IF, Allison and Deader had stayed healthy than DT might still be our GM.

I think he made some good deals and helped bring in some really good prospects.

But I don't think he's in Dean Lombardi's league.

Kingz4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2006, 02:46 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

I would say he did average. His deadline deals for the most part never worked out and the Kings lost almost all the assets acquired with Taylor's deadline deals (Ronning, Carter, Parrish). He also failed to make any additions on the blueline until trading for Sopel. Before that, his last additions to the Kings defense was when he acquired Gleason (great trade) and picked up Dempsey and Weaver (depth moves, but they became regular defensemen for the Kings).

He never was able to make that move that would take the Kings to the next step, and they were treading water the past three seasons. His expiration date had come and gone. It's best to forgive and forget.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2006, 04:06 AM
Puck U
2012 SC CHAMPIONS !

I think Dave Taylor's hands were tied more by Tim Lieweke than any of us know, and therefore any results should be taken with that asterisk next to it ...

Getting Deadmarsh, Miller and Aulin for Blake and Rhino, when his hands were tied, great move. Getting Norstrom, Smoke, Ziggy great moves. Bringing in Schneider a plus, getting Allison, we all loved it at the time.

Losing Olli Jokinen hurt but wasn't he NOT part of the original deal, and that more thanks to the commissioner sticking his nose into the transaction and saying it wasn't a fair trade and couldn't involve the cash, and forced Taylor to include Jokinen, right ? so how do you count that against Taylor ?

Not sure why you'd say the Ronning and Carter moves were bad, they didn't work as expected, but Karalahti and Aulin turned into what for their teams ? at worst the deals were meaningless, or Taylor at least knowing how to get rid of dead weight.

Problem was I think Lieweke kept forcing Taylor to pick up more dead weight instead of letting him have some money to replace the likes of Allison or Deadmarsh when he needed, or being forced into letting loose Boucher, Schneider and Blake.

Anyways I agree, Taylor's time had come, but he did a GOOD job of working with what he was given at trying to get this team turned around IMO. Lombardi has a lot of good young talent to work with moving ahead thanks to Dave Taylor.

Plus for as great as people say Lombardi is, or Burke is down the road ... those guys to date have won just as many Cups as Taylor ever did.

Puck U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2006, 10:10 AM
guzmania

The most snake-bit guy in Kings history. I am a huge Dave Taylor fan. Not able to even attempt objectivity. A truly tragic figure in classical literature terms. There should be an opera libretto...an odessy which ends early on a small Greek island...a brooding castle of intrigue and betrayal...

guzmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2006, 01:10 PM
Venom_17

He did a good job. Not a great job, but a good job.

Major Successes:
- Bringing in the young talent (Frolov, Kopitar, Cammalleri, Gleason, Brown, etc.)
- Building a contending team that was crippled by injuries (the Allison-Deadmarsh-Palffy, Schneider, Boucher, Smolinski, etc. days)

Major Failures:
- Never secured a true #1 goalie.
- Kept Andy Murray on way past his shelf life.

Venom_17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2006, 01:31 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
If you added up the points last season by the guys he lost through trades and free agency and then added up the points of players still with the Kings from those trades and his free agent signings you would see DT was a failure. After 7+ years of re-building a new GM was brought in to clean up the mess he left and 2006-2007 looks to be 1 of the worst years in Kings history because of DT. If DT had any pride at all he would leave this organization but he keeps hanging on. I've never seen an organization that re-builds after a re-build-it's like tearing down a building that doesn't exist.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2006, 02:05 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

When did the Kings "rebuild" under Taylor? He took over for Sam McMaster and his first moves were signing Galley, bringing Luc Robitaille back and brought in Stumpel as the #1 center. The season after, he signed Steve Duchesne and acquired Donald Audette. The following summer, he acquires Ziggy Palffy and Bryan Smolinski. Taylor would bring in Schneider as a free agent and Blake eventually gets dealt for Deadmarsh, Miller and prospects/picks and Felix Potvin is picked up. The season after that, they trade for a true #1 center in Jason Allison.

The Kings went on without making any significant additions, but would give up Schneider for Avery, Kuznetsov and a first and Smolinski for Gleason, after it was obvious they wouldn't be making the playoffs in 2003. In 03-04, Taylor acquires Cechmanek, Straka and Carter, Palffy goes down with a season ending injury, and the Kings miss the playoffs yet again.

This past season he brought in Roenick and dealt for Parrish and Sopel. The Kings never really "rebuilt" under Taylor.

Old
08-06-2006, 02:20 PM
Osprey

Am I the only one who looked at the title and wondered "Who in the world is David Taylor?"

Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2006, 02:33 PM
Venom_17

Another MAJOR failure of DT had to be his trade deadline acquisitions.

Ronning, Parrish, Carter, etc.

Who else was there? Bruuutal.

Venom_17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2006, 02:56 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
When did the Kings "rebuild" under Taylor? He took over for Sam McMaster and his first moves were signing Galley, bringing Luc Robitaille back and brought in Stumpel as the #1 center. The season after, he signed Steve Duchesne and acquired Donald Audette. The following summer, he acquires Ziggy Palffy and Bryan Smolinski. Taylor would bring in Schneider as a free agent and Blake eventually gets dealt for Deadmarsh, Miller and prospects/picks and Felix Potvin is picked up. The season after that, they trade for a true #1 center in Jason Allison.

The Kings went on without making any significant additions, but would give up Schneider for Avery, Kuznetsov and a first and Smolinski for Gleason, after it was obvious they wouldn't be making the playoffs in 2003. In 03-04, Taylor acquires Cechmanek, Straka and Carter, Palffy goes down with a season ending injury, and the Kings miss the playoffs yet again.

This past season he brought in Roenick and dealt for Parrish and Sopel. The Kings never really "rebuilt" under Taylor.
DT & Co. told the fans that there was a 5 year plan in place 7 years ago. That was a re-building plan that went 2 years too long and produced a team that barely makes the playoffs if at all. Spin it all you want but when somebody says 5 year plan that's a re-build in my book. Taylor lost players like Schneider, Blake, Smolinski, Glen Murray, Straka, Carter, Allison, Jokinen, Kaberle, Lappy, Legace, Huet, Reinprecht, Stumpel, Tambellini and the Kings have almost nothing to show for those players. Taylor would have been better off if he didn't make any transactions at all if you factor in total busts like Rob Valisevic, Steve Duchesne, Roman Cechmanek, Randy Robitaille, Nelson Emerson, Kelly Buchberger, Eric Rasmussen, Ronning, Parrish, Kuznetsov etc.. DT lost a lot of talent and never replaced those players, he made bad trades, he signed bad free agents and the LA Kings and their fans are not done paying for Taylor's mistakes yet. 2006-2007 will be a horrible season due in large part to Taylor leaving Lombardi a horrible roster and a weak farm system which will take a few years to "re-build". Renew your season tickets now!

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2006, 03:18 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Nobody is disputing Taylor's bad transactions, but the Kings never actually rebuilt under Taylor. I don't see how you can say they even attempted a rebuild, even with a 5-year plan in place. That 5-year plan spiel was all BS and another marketing ploy by Leiweke. Taylor never said anything about a 5-year plan.

Rebuilding is what they did after Gretzky, Kurri, McSorley, Sandstrom, Robitaille, Hrudey, Huddy, etc. were all gone. Rebuilding is what Pittsburgh and Washington have been through. The Hawks have been rebuilding for many years now. Pinpoint any time during Taylor's tenure that the Kings scrapped their roster and started all over. All they did was stockpile on picks and prospects whenever they dealt Blake, Schneider and Smolinski. That was it.

Old
08-06-2006, 05:02 PM
ILuvLA

From the choices given, good. To an extent, his hands were tied by AEG. However, some of the last transactions left me wondering what the hell he was thinking.

ILuvLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2006, 05:57 PM
kingsfan25

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILuvLA View Post
From the choices given, good. To an extent, his hands were tied by AEG. However, some of the last transactions left me wondering what the hell he was thinking.
"I'm not going to that retirement home without a fight."

kingsfan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2006, 05:59 PM
ILuvLA

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan25 View Post
"I'm not going to that retirement home without a fight."
You put into words what I didn't want to...

ILuvLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2006, 09:49 PM
johnjm22

Dave Taylor improved the Los Angeles Kings organization during his time as a GM. The Franchise was in better shape when DT left, then when he began.

johnjm22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2006, 11:08 PM
Quattro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
Am I the only one who looked at the title and wondered "Who in the world is David Taylor?"
hahahaha...nope, I did too

Quattro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2006, 11:32 PM
PSP
Couldn't Be Happier!

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post
Dave Taylor improved the Los Angeles Kings organization during his time as a GM. The Franchise was in better shape when DT left, then when he began.
Really?

I'm not sure it could be much worse. He gutted the pipeline hoping to hold on for another season, but all he managed to do was cripple the future.

PSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2006, 11:37 PM
PSP
Couldn't Be Happier!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck U View Post
Getting Norstrom, Smoke, Ziggy great moves. Bringing in Schneider a plus, getting Allison, we all loved it at the time.
Norstrom was acquired before Taylor became GM.

Old
08-07-2006, 12:04 AM
johnjm22

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSP View Post
Really?

I'm not sure it could be much worse.

Huh? Remember the dark years? DT helped bring us out of those days.

Quote:
He gutted the pipeline hoping to hold on for another season, but all he managed to do was cripple the future.
There was no pipeline when DT took over. DT restored our farm system to something respectable.

I don't understand how you could base your opinion of DT on one bad move. I wouldn't exactly call giving up Grebeshkov + Tambellini "gutting the pipeline." Grebs was a bust who eventually gave up on the NHL and signed in Russia. Tambs on the other hand is a good AHLer who will probably be nothing more than a 2nd liner in NHL, if that.

Old
08-07-2006, 12:23 AM
PSP
Couldn't Be Happier!

Quote:
Huh? Remember the dark years? DT helped bring us out of those days.

There was no pipeline when DT took over. DT restored our farm system to something respectable.
OK, then explain to me why the Kings are ranked 24th if they are "respectable"?

Quote:
I don't understand how you could base your opinion of DT on one bad move. I wouldn't exactly call giving up Grebeshkov + Tambellini "gutting the pipeline." Grebs was a bust who eventually gave up on the NHL and signed in Russia. Tambs on the other hand is a good AHLer who will probably be nothing more than a 2nd liner in NHL, if that.
OK, I'll accept your assessment - he did a crappy job drafting quality players.

Old
08-07-2006, 01:13 AM
johnjm22

Quote:
OK, then explain to me why the Kings are ranked 24th if they are "respectable"?

OK, I'll accept your assessment - he did a crappy job drafting quality players.
You're sadly mistaken if you think the Kings' farm system isn't respectable.

The Kings' have quite a few good young players, both in their system and in the NHL. If every team in the league had to put together a team using U25 players how do think the Kings would rank?

Alex Frolov (24) - Anze Kopitar (18) - Michael Cammalleri (24)
Patrick O'Sullivan (21) - Brian Boyle (21) - Dustin Brown (21)
Konstantin Pushkarev (21) - Trevor Lewis (19) - Lauri Tukonen (19)
Scott Parse (21) - Bud Holloway (18) - Petr Kanko (22)
Marty Guerin (23), Greg Hogeboom (23), Gabe Gauthier (22)

Richard Petiot (23) - Tim Gleason (23)
TJ Fast (18) - Joey Ryan (19)
Peter Harrold (23) - Ryan McGinnis (19)
Niclas Andersen (18), Patrik Hersley (20), Paul Baier (21)

Jonathan Bernier (17)
Jon Quick (20)
Jeff Zatkoff (19)
Ryan Munce (21)
Matt Zaba (22)

That's pretty solid. Not too many teams could match that.

The reason were ranked 24th is probably because some of our young guys have recently graduated, and our no longer in the system. (See: Brown, Cammy, Gleason)

If you think this organization's farm system was better in 1997 you're blind.

Old
08-07-2006, 01:15 AM
Osprey

I find it interesting that very few people praise Taylor unconditionally and many cut him slack for having his hands tied, yet most people continue to feel that Blake's departure was all Rob's fault. If you acknowledge that Taylor made major mistakes, why is his handling of the Blake situation (the lowball, "take-it-or-leave-it" offer) any different, and, if you defend him because his hands were tied, why is Rob to blame instead of Leiweke and Anschutz (keepers of the tight purse-strings)? Just about everyone thinks either that, in general, Taylor was a problem or the men above him were, yet virtually all put the majority of the blame for Blake on Rob, himself. I'm very interested in why Blake is still demonized when so many are admitting that the front office mis-handled many things so poorly.

Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2006, 01:46 AM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
I find it interesting that very few people praise Taylor unconditionally and many cut him slack for having his hands tied, yet most people continue to feel that Blake's departure was all Rob's fault. If you acknowledge that Taylor made major mistakes, why is his handling of the Blake situation (the lowball, "take-it-or-leave-it" offer) any different, and, if you defend him because his hands were tied, why is Rob to blame instead of Leiweke and Anschutz (keepers of the tight purse-strings)? Just about everyone thinks either that, in general, Taylor was a problem or the men above him were, yet virtually all put the majority of the blame for Blake on Rob, himself. I'm very interested in why Blake is still demonized when so many are admitting that the front office mis-handled many things so poorly.
Could be. But if it was Lieweke who was to blame for letting Blake leave in the first place by tying DT's hands, why was he so eager to bring him back?

The whole removing the C from his jersey doesn't have anything to do with his teammates, the fans OR the front office. And yet, he did it anyways. So you don't get along with the front office. It happens. But why do that to your teammates or the fans? A lot of people demonize him for that. How many times has that ever happened? To me, it was a slap in the face, turn your back on the team and it's fans kind of a deal by doing such a thing. It's not like they slaughtered his family or anything. They tried to play hardball and it backfired.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2006, 01:58 AM
johnjm22

Quote:
When a player makes it clear that he wants to leave an organization, the fans will more often then not consider that player to be a traitor. It's the natural reaction.

And while you may have a point, Blake was certainly no angel. He, like mangement could have handled the situation differently.

I don't understand why you consider "take-it-or-leave-it" to be such a low ball. This is a business, at least that stance is an honest one. DT gave RB the best deal he could (whether it was all DT wanted to give, or all that upper mangement would allow---it doesn't matter), it was then on Blake to take or leave it, he chose to leave it.