HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

body checking in adult leagues?

Old
03-23-2013, 09:20 PM
JohnZ622

vCash: 500
body checking in adult leagues?

Hi,

In many adult house leagues, the rule does not explicitly talk about body checking. Some divisions (like Division 1 at Chelsea Piers) are comprised mostly of ex College and Junior players. Do I assume that there's body checking at the higher divisions while no checking at the lower divisions?

JohnZ622 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 09:42 PM
TheNuge

In most mens leagues you will find the referees letting alittle body contact and what not go along the boards...I referee the lowest division "E" on an occasional night in ontario, and to say the least we let the guys bang for the puck along the boards, they love it...but when it comes to open ice hitting or a guy getting run over, i slap em with a 2 minute fine and a seat in the box...the referees wont control the game or be "heroic" with calls..its mens league its about having fun and staying competitive...where as in SR 'A' leagues, such as the Dundas Real Mccoys in our area, they are permitted contact, as they are former junior A, B.. players.

Hope i helped

TheNuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 01:32 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Ask for clarification. All the leagues I have played in were strict no checking but contact was allowed.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 03:10 PM
CoopALoop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Ask for clarification. All the leagues I have played in were strict no checking but contact was allowed.
Same here as well.

Most leagues take out full on body contact.

CoopALoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 03:35 PM
Primrose Everdeen
Miss Misery

vCash: 100
Same. Only time I've played hockey with body checking was high school. All the adult leagues around here that I know of are no-check leagues.

Primrose Everdeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 04:01 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Yeah, insurance companies aren't exactly friendly to the idea of full-contact recreational sports.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 01:52 AM
Danglous

Luckily I found a league that's full check. I found that surprisingly its less chippy than all the non contact leagues Ive been in. As a big defenseman, the hitting makes the game twice as fun

Danglous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 03:13 AM
izzy3

I play in a checking league and and I have the same experience as Danglous. As soon as you allow checks, there's suddenly a lot more respect on the ice. People will be much more willing to play clean, because they know that if they get out of line there might be a big check coming their way.

I'm a small, shifty guy, so I'm usually one of the first ones the other team tries to go after, but in the meantime I really learned to dodge checks or if I can't avoid them I'll explode into the checker with my shoulder.

It also helped me to learn stickhandling with my head up pretty fast...

izzy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 09:35 AM
RedWinger10

I personally like to hit but most adults don't care for that kind of play. And as I get older I'm sure I will feel the same way. I think you can bang for the puck along the boards and muscle each other off of the puck in most rec leagues without much issue but I would let a guy by me before I would lay out some 40 something guy who is just looking for some rec league fun. Bottom line is it just doesn't have a place in most rec leagues. There are a few full contact and D1 leagues in my area. Most of those leagues are filled with ex-college, didn't make the cut for college, or junior/farm team players and I can't quite play at that level. But being from a top college hockey town (Grand Forks ND (UND)) there is a league for everybody and everybody's playing level.

RedWinger10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 12:08 PM
itsjustsurvival
The Revisionist

Our leagues are no hitting. However, most of us that are friends and play on different teams hit each other and play physical along the boards. Refs usually(but not always) are pretty cognizant of that and in the higher divisions, let most of it go.

I love physical board play. And for every people that gets mad about it, theres another that after the puck gets loose, gives you a friendly tap and says, "nice work".

itsjustsurvival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 12:31 PM
Poppinwaterbottles
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnZ622 View Post
Hi,

In many adult house leagues, the rule does not explicitly talk about body checking. Some divisions (like Division 1 at Chelsea Piers) are comprised mostly of ex College and Junior players. Do I assume that there's body checking at the higher divisions while no checking at the lower divisions?
I played in Chelesea Piers, depending on what refs you have, they let a little go along the boards and some minor contact. They will not let you line anyone up or throw a hipcheck.

Main reason, its a big insurance liablity to have a full contact hockey league with adults, most likley the league would be paying out of there @#$ for insurance and the cost of league fee would most likley be double.

Lets remember its only a rec mens league. Even the pro roller leagues don't have full contact.

Poppinwaterbottles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 12:51 PM
JohnZ622

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danglous View Post
Luckily I found a league that's full check. I found that surprisingly its less chippy than all the non contact leagues Ive been in. As a big defenseman, the hitting makes the game twice as fun
Danglous where do you live?

JohnZ622 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 02:12 PM
Achronos19

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsjustsurvival View Post
Our leagues are no hitting. However, most of us that are friends and play on different teams hit each other and play physical along the boards. Refs usually(but not always) are pretty cognizant of that and in the higher divisions, let most of it go.

I love physical board play. And for every people that gets mad about it, theres another that after the puck gets loose, gives you a friendly tap and says, "nice work".
This is what I like too. Getting physical on the boards is great.

Achronos19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 02:19 PM
salty justice

In most facilities I've seen they only allow full checking in the top, D1, league. It's usually comprised of guys just coming out of or trying to get into NCAA hockey.

All the others say no contact but plenty is allowed.

salty justice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 08:40 PM
Danglous

Quote:
Danglous where do you live?
I live in Northeast Philly but the league is in Aston, PA at Ice Works

Danglous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 10:32 AM
mistrhanky

My league is D level, no checking, but there is a fair amount of contact. The refs will pretty much let anything go so long as you are making a play on the puck. If you just make an outright check and your stick is not in an area where you could play the puck, you will get whistled up. I think that is a pretty good balance.

mistrhanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 10:50 AM
Sony Eriksson*

Quote:
Hi,

In adult league ages range from 18-55+ so just imagine a guy 19 years old 6'4 215 pounds hitting a 55 year old who is 5'10 160 pounds at full speed. To dangerous at the older ages to start throwing big hits.

Sony Eriksson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 12:31 PM
CunniJA

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsjustsurvival View Post
That's my experience too. Some complain, most don't. I have gotten some "good hustles" for it from the opposing guys.

One time, a guy complained about me playing physically on the boards and while lining up for the faceoff, the ref said to me, "he wanted me to give you a penalty for that. What would it be... 2 minutes for playing hockey?"

CunniJA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 05:59 PM
Fanned On It

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achronos19 View Post
This is what I like too. Getting physical on the boards is great.
Getting physical on the boards is mostly fun but the line becomes very unclear at that point. I've had guys literally hit me from behind while going for a puck in a non-contact league. The thing is people think they can play differently because they don't have to worry about getting hit and then some C league all-star comes in with both arms extended and rides them face first into the boards.

Fanned On It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 07:55 PM
ponder

Every mens' league I've played in has been non-contact. There's a certain level of contact anyways, plenty of rub outs and puck battles, with around 1-2 "crossing the line" type hits per game (legit body checks). I used to play contact hockey in high school, and liked it, but honestly I prefer the non-contact now, hitting can be fun but I'm not really interested in getting rocked and concussed in beer league.

With that being said, even in non-contact hockey you should always be ready to be hit. Some guys will just act like it's full contact, and hit anyways, even when you're vulnerable, so you need to protect yourself against these players. Don't go straight towards the boards, come in at an angle. Keep your head up, brace for hits when contact could be incoming. You really don't know what other players will do, so you should look out for hits basically the same as you would in contact hockey. I've seen plenty of players get hurt on hits in beer league, often they're relatively weak hits that send players flying awkwardly into the boards because they weren't braced for any contact at all. If you keep your head up, play smart, and skate with a low, wide stance, you will almost never get rocked in beer league.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 03:26 AM
Aucoin11*

The reason there isn't hitting in lower leagues, or rather shouldn't be, is because lower level players can't handle it. Plain and simple. These are guys who haven't played their whole lives, don't understand the basic respect rules of the game, and frankly can't skate well enough to do it properly anyway. It will just lead to even more significant injuries.

Aucoin11* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 12:21 PM
Fanned On It

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aucoin11 View Post
The reason there isn't hitting in lower leagues, or rather shouldn't be, is because lower level players can't handle it. Plain and simple. These are guys who haven't played their whole lives, don't understand the basic respect rules of the game, and frankly can't skate well enough to do it properly anyway. It will just lead to even more significant injuries.
Exactly. It just is what it is.

Old
03-30-2013, 12:22 PM
CoopALoop

Quote:
Originally Posted by CunniJA View Post
That's my experience too. Some complain, most don't. I have gotten some "good hustles" for it from the opposing guys.

One time, a guy complained about me playing physically on the boards and while lining up for the faceoff, the ref said to me, "he wanted me to give you a penalty for that. What would it be... 2 minutes for playing hockey?"
You see a few people complain about that quite a bit.

Not to generalize, but those guys complaining about physical board work had never played hockey until the no contact leagues and are just not used to it.

CoopALoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 12:24 PM
Fanned On It

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoopALoop View Post
You see a few people complain about that quite a bit.

Not to generalize, but those guys complaining about physical board work had never played hockey until the no contact leagues and are just not used to it.
Exactly... again. Like i said I personally don't mind the physical play and I'm used to it but is it insane for a person who never played hockey until non-contact beer league to expect no contact or "physical play?"

Old
03-31-2013, 03:39 AM
jazzykat

It depends...

I created a group that plays once a week. Skill level is from former: russian second national team, red army team, European pro to guys that just started playing this year. Ages from 55 to25. We don't check and its self regulated. There is a fundamental level of respect for all players. We self police.

I am 33 and looking to join my first checking league to get the full hockey experience. I don't have any ambition to lay someone out but I know I am missing an aspect of the game when there is no checking.

jazzykat is offline   Reply With Quote