HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Oilers lose 3-0 ...Game Over

Old
03-24-2013, 12:04 AM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaPolice View Post
Saw-off at best, and that's still not something that can be seen as a positive for this organization. I'm not a huge "pro-Burke" guy, but he would certainly build a better contending team from the defense-on-up than what this org. has been doing for the past 7 years, IMO.
We could have a Blues-class defense and it wouldn't make a lick of difference if your goalie can't stop the puck.

As an old saying goes, "Goaltending is 80% of hockey and 100% if you don't have it."

GreatKeith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
syz
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky_83 View Post
Pitkanen for Cole is the worst trade the Oilers have made in the last 4-5 years, I think Lowe made it, no?
Well, Pitkanen for Cole was supposed to be a guy who had no intention of staying here for a guy who was supposed to be good at hockey.

No one would have really called that trade a loss when it happened, regardless of who made it.

syz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Soundwave

I don't really even care if Burke couldn't spin the Leafs into a contender in three years time or whatever (though if the Leafs make the playoffs this year, that ownership group should go kiss his rear end).

Tambellini needs to be fired. Krueger needs to go too (as he was ill advised choice of the ill advised GM).

And I'm not willing to take a risk of some rookie or young or unproven or "out from left field" European GM.

I want someone with some freaking experience and a track record of drafting well (not just top 5 picks) and has the gumption to make trades.

Our team is young enough, we can't afford to have a GM and a coach bumbling around trying to learn on the job at the same time too. Nuh uh. I don't expect a saviour, just someone half way decent and experienced.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 12:05 AM
Fuhryous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafters View Post
Lets blame the fans for not supporting this team.....
I guess the players expect this after each loss then.

Fuhryous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Asher

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
Robin Brownlee ‏@Robin_Brownlee
So, fans aren't loud enough? Fans were too negative tonight? Yes, that's the problem. It's the fans coming up short. Gimme an F'ing break.

At least there's one reasonable media guy.
He isn't tethered to the organization like Stauffer and Tencer. It doesn't hurt the RB hates Tencer either... lol... he won't hesitate to take a shot at anything Dan says.

Asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
KarmaPolice
Masterdebater

vCash: 777
Send a message via MSN to KarmaPolice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
He overpays most contracts he gives out.

Grabovski, Lupul, Komi, Connolly.

You can't deal with that. We'd outprice ourselves.

We don't need a Burke. We need a Shero/Bowman/Holland type. The type that knows what a contending team with lots of top-end talent needs to compete.
Those guys aren't available. You go with the best option. If not Burke, then who do you suggest? I don't really know myself; it's an honest question.

KarmaPolice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 12:06 AM
The Bored Man

vCash: 537

The Bored Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 12:06 AM
Ranfordrocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemskyfanboy83 View Post
Why not just make Lowe the GM? He also wins the majority of his trades

1st for Roloson
Salmalinen for Spacek
2nd for Samsanov
Salo for Gilbert
7th for Hejda
Lupul + Smith for Pitkanen
Bergeron for Grebeshkov
Tarnstrom for Glencross

The only trade he really lost was the Pronger deal.
eberle was draft pick came back in pronger deal dont forget!

Ranfordrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 12:07 AM
Q Continuum
You are Wrong

vCash: 691
Wait, it's us?

Our fault?

What an arrogant statement by Tencer. Brown nosing twit. Give us something to cheer about, assclowns. If not, we'll boo.

Edmonton media needs to grow a ****ing set.

Q Continuum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
#ualberta

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
And therefore firing Tambo and hiring Burke puts us on a course to the playoffs.... how?
I think Burke can lead us to the playoffs or he will at least try tambo will not do anything
If we don't take risks we don't get anywhere
We have been firing coaches and yes i think krueger should be fired but tambo needs to go

402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
rosemount289

Formula's pretty...............?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byakin1 View Post
Or putting it in a different way: what's the Oilers all time record against Hitchcock-coached team?
Hitchcock's formula is pretty obvious in playing the Oilers'...........1st period......bang the Oilers for the whole period.........wear them down...........get the lead......and they will fold..........it seems to work...........!!!

rosemount289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Asher

Quote:
Originally Posted by syz View Post
Well, Pitkanen for Cole was supposed to be a guy who had no intention of staying here for a guy who was supposed to be good at hockey.

No one would have really called that trade a loss when it happened, regardless of who made it.
I called that trade a loss when it happened, as did many others on here.

Asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 12:08 AM
KarmaPolice
Masterdebater

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
We could have a Blues-class defense and it wouldn't make a lick of difference if your goalie can't stop the puck.

As an old saying goes, "Goaltending is 80% of hockey and 100% if you don't have it."
Toronto is looking in good shape to go to the playoffs with much worse goal-tending numbers this year than us, so I wouldn't be so sure about that. Further, the Blues' goaltending numbers haven't been flattering this year. How did they look like to you, as an overall team, tonight. I don't buy that '80% goaltending crap' at all, I have to be honest. Hell, Detroit won TWICE with a complete sieve in Osgood.

Old
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Quote:
Originally Posted by syz View Post

Really? Young 24-year old defenseman for an impending UFA? That was a bad deal from the onset.

The Perfect Human* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Soundwave

I don't think the fans are even booing the loss.

They were promised a high flying, fun to watch team. Losses were expected.

But they're not even getting any entertainment value.

Hiring the defence first (and second) Swiss national team coach in hindsight was a big mistake. This is the least exciting brand of hockey the Oilers have peddled the last 4 years, and that's saying something.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
McRib
2nd Rate Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher View Post
He isn't tethered to the organization like Stauffer and Tencer. It doesn't hurt the RB hates Tencer either... lol... he won't hesitate to take a shot at anything Dan says.
Tencer and Stauffer can't fart without asking the Oilers first. Can't expect the Oilers to let their media be critical of them. But to come out on the fans? Really?

Easy for them to criticize when they haven't spend a dime going to Oilers games. They can bash the fans when they're paying good money for seats at Rexall to watch incompetent management ignore the needs of a young team for 3-4 seasons. It shows on the ice.

McRib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 12:09 AM
KarmaPolice
Masterdebater

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bored Man View Post
LOL! Nice.

Old
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by 402 View Post
I think Burke can lead us to the playoffs or he will at least try tambo will not do anything
If we don't take risks we don't get anywhere
We have been firing coaches and yes i think krueger should be fired but tambo needs to go
Great, we can trade RNH and a first for Brad Richards. Then sign Jarome Iginla to a 5 year, 35 million dollar deal.

Old
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranfordrocks View Post
i like winning only if they play a run and gun style
i hate the trap with a passion it makes my blood boil
With all due respect with your recipe the Oilers would never have won a Stanley Cup. Each year they played teams that would make them pay if they didn't focus on an all round game. You just can't play one end of the rink.

You missed my post earlier where I mentioned that as soon as the Oilers did try to open it up in this game and trade chances the score quickly went from 1-0 to 3-0.

Also which I predicted as the Oilers were unravelling for the last 5mins of the second period and getting in trouble.

Replacement is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
I don't think the fans are even booing the loss.

They were promised a high flying, fun to watch team
. Losses were expected.

But they're not even getting any entertainment value.

Hiring the defence first (and second) Swiss national team coach in hindsight was a big mistake. This is the least exciting brand of hockey the Oilers have peddled the last 4 years, and that's saying something.
That kind of team rarely wins in the NHL.

The Perfect Human* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

vCash: 81
As much as the effort disgusted me, I'm not surprised we lost. St. Louis Blues are the exact type of team this franchise has struggled with for the past half decade(if not more).

High structured team with players who excel in certain roles. It's not an excuse, but this loss isn't surprising. We don't have the right players to combat these sort of teams. Reason why teams like the Blackhawks always play us tough.

EDIT TO ADD: I hate this whole "The fans should show more support and stop booing". Seriously, we've been the laughing stock of the NHL for the better part of the past 5 years. The fact that we're still showing up should be support enough.

Puritania
Skooma Addict

vCash: 1206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher View Post
Robin's 100% correct. It's ****ing ludicrous to blame the fans when we fill that run down building every single game while the Oilers have eaten **** for years.

Puritania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
syz
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

Quote:
That kind of team rarely wins in the western conference.
Fixed.

Quote:
Really? Young 24-year old defenseman for an impending UFA? That was a bad deal from the onset.
Who cares how old Pitkanen is when he's not planning on re-signing? He essentially had the same amount of time left on his contract as Cole did, in a sense.

Hell, if Tambo acquired a player like Cole was right now we'd be crowning him for filling the teams biggest need. Until he started to suck as hard as Cole does outside of Carolina.

syz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 12:10 AM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaPolice View Post
Toronto is looking in good shape to go to the playoffs with much worse goal-tending numbers this year than us, so I wouldn't be so sure about that. Further, the Blues' goaltending numbers haven't been flattering this year. How did they look like to you, as an overall team, tonight. I don't buy that '80% goaltending crap' at all, I have to be honest. Hell, Detroit won TWICE with a complete sieve in Osgood.
And LA won last year with Quick. Boston won the previous year with Thomas. Hmm...

Remember Cam Ward? Or Gigeuere in his glory days?

Old
03-24-2013, 12:10 AM
Puritania
Skooma Addict

vCash: 1206
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bored Man View Post
Well done.

Puritania is offline   Reply With Quote