HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

OT: New CFL TV deal covers most of player costs

Old
03-22-2013, 10:50 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

vCash: 500
OT: New CFL TV deal covers most of player costs

bruce_arthur 7:45pm via Echofon The CFL's new TV deal almost covers player costs before a ticket is sold, which is especially handy in Ontario: thespec.com/sports/ticats/…

CFL becoming more and more like NFL?

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 11:14 PM
danishh
Dat Stache

CFL cba is up after the 2014 season. The players will take their cut and return things to normal.

danishh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 03:17 AM
blueandgoldguy

Latest rumor I heard was a 5-year $200 million deal, nearly triple the old contract.

blueandgoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 10:05 AM
Swarez

TSN paying CFL $4 Million a team
NBC paying NHL $6.6 Million a team.

Anyone else think the NHL wishes they could do a redo on there deal?

I am actually surprised the CFL didn't try to get a 2nd station to carry some of there games, you have Ottawa coming in making it 10 teams- lots of content. Rumors are they want a team in the maritimes or Quebec City too. Good deal for the CFL- but I probably will still never watch, except grey cup.

Swarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 10:13 AM
jigglysquishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swarez99 View Post

I am actually surprised the CFL didn't try to get a 2nd station to carry some of there games, you have Ottawa coming in making it 10 teams- lots of content. Rumors are they want a team in the maritimes or Quebec City too. Good deal for the CFL- but I probably will still never watch, except grey cup.
If you were to make the argument that the CFL is 60% as popular in Canada as NHL is in the States I'd buy that argument. It's not like the NHL was going to get a better deal with NBC.

Expect a mammoth contract with Canadian broadcasters for the NHL.

jigglysquishy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 11:00 AM
DopeyFish

vCash: 737
Quote:

Don't you mean $8.7 mil a team? (23 teams)

NBC is national for US, CBC and TSN pay plenty for theirs

CFL is only on one network (iirc)

NHL is on dozens, lots of regional money

DopeyFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 11:01 AM
berklon

Quote:
Yeah, I don't watch the CFL at all myself... not even the Grey Cup. Not a fan.

The really dumb thing is that even if I wanted to watch, I can't - not a single game... not even an exhibition game. TSN isn't available on the basic Bell Expressvu package or via antenna. So the CFL is actually shutting out a lot of potential viewers.

Yet with a basic Expressvu package or simple antenna, I can watch around 5 different NFL games a week and EVERY SINGLE playoff game up to and including the Super Bowl.

berklon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 11:57 AM
Pilky01
@JamesD_TO

Will all the game still be exclusive to TSN?

I know the league has done pretty well ever since signing the exclusive deal, but I still don't like it.

Pilky01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 12:39 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DopeyFish View Post
Don't you mean $8.7 mil a team? (23 teams)
Nope. All the national deals: NBC, CBC, TSN, RDS are split among all 30.

IU Hawks fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 12:40 PM
Hamilton Tigers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilky01 View Post
Will all the game still be exclusive to TSN?
Yes.

Hamilton Tigers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 12:47 PM
Hawker14

Quote:
Originally Posted by berklon View Post

The really dumb thing is that even if I wanted to watch, I can't - not a single game... not even an exhibition game. TSN isn't available on the basic Bell Expressvu package or via antenna. So the CFL is actually shutting out a lot of potential viewers.

Yet with a basic Expressvu package or simple antenna, I can watch around 5 different NFL games a week and EVERY SINGLE playoff game up to and including the Super Bowl.
There are clandestine feeds hidden on the interwebs carrying sports, should you require. This message will self destruct.

Hawker14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 01:37 PM
Brodie
watcher on the walls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawker14 View Post
There are clandestine feeds hidden on the interwebs carrying sports, should you require. This message will self destruct.

and that's irrelevant to TSN, so his point stands

Brodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 02:37 PM
blueandgoldguy

Quote:

There is still a year left on the old tv deal. TSN has exclusive negotiating rights. A second station would not have been able to get involved until the season began or was complete.

When you are offered a TV contract paying nearly 3 times the old one, chances are you aren't going to wait around to see if there is a better offer.

Old
03-23-2013, 02:38 PM
blueandgoldguy

Quote:

They need to put the Grey CUp on CTV, maybe even a few games as well. That would be a good start.

Old
03-23-2013, 05:15 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:

CFL is basically the NHL of Canada, so not really.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 08:26 PM
CoolForumNamePending

This makes you wonder what kind of money the NHL is going to get in the next Canadian deal. I am sure if you look close enough everyone in the NHL head office, along with the owners and players will have dollar signs in their eyes.

Not a football guy at all but it's nice to see the CFL really turn things around after spending the 90's (and into the new millenium?) on its death bed. Even the thought of a Grey Cup in Toronto selling out months in advance or most teams being profitable businesses instead of charity cases would have seemed laughable a decade ago.

[MOD]

Last edited by tarheelhockey: 03-24-2013 at 12:28 AM. Reason: Quoted deleted post
CoolForumNamePending is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 08:44 PM
Mighty Joe Moon

Quote:
Really? They don't air games on RDS? Or is that a premium channel? TSN has been part of basic cable for as long as I can remember in Manitoba.

Mighty Joe Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 09:01 PM
Pilky01
@JamesD_TO

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolForumNamePending View Post
This makes you wonder what kind of money the NHL is going to get in the next Canadian deal. I am sure if you look close enough everyone in the NHL head office, along with the owners and players will have dollar signs in their eyes.

Not a football guy at all but it's nice to see the CFL really turn things around after spending the 90's (and into the new millenium?) on its death bed. Even the thought of a Grey Cup in Toronto selling out months in advance or most teams being profitable businesses instead of charity cases would have seemed laughable a decade ago.

It's safe to say very few people outside of either Canada or the US care about 'this "sport"' regardless of how many downs there are or how big the field is.
Ya, it's great to see the CFL doing so well. I honestly believe that the league is a Toronto CFL specific stadium away from breaking out in that city. Half the reason Toronto FC did so well out of the gate was people just loved the stadium. With new stadiums in BC, Winnipeg, Regina, Ottawa, and, hopefully soon, Toronto, the league will be in its best shape ever.

Pilky01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 09:34 PM
kaiser matias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty Joe Moon View Post
Really? They don't air games on RDS? Or is that a premium channel? TSN has been part of basic cable for as long as I can remember in Manitoba.
It depends on your cable provider. When I lived in Edmonton and used Telus, I had to pay for the sports package that included TSN, Sportsnet, TSN2, SN1, and a couple others. Now that I'm back on Vancouver Island and with Shaw, TSN and Sportsnet come on the basic cable package; the others cost extra.

kaiser matias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 12:31 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

If your only input on this topic is to make a negative comment about the CFL, don't bother posting. This is the Business board -- there are other places where you can bash things that aren't your cup of tea.

This is your warning. Next step will be an infraction and threadban.

tarheelhockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 01:11 AM
knorthern knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post
They need to put the Grey CUp on CTV, maybe even a few games as well. That would be a good start.
Why should they? They make more money being Pay-TV-only. I don't watch that much TV, so what I can get OTA is sufficient for me, and I don't bother with cable or Fibe. The last CFL game I watched at home was the 2007 Grey Cup. However, the cable deal is lucrative enough that my lost viewership doesn't matter. Between TSN and RSN (their French language version) they get a ton of viewers. E.g. for the most recent Grey Cup (2012) http://ctvmedia.ca/tsn/releases/rele...5871&yyyy=2012
Quote:
November 26, 2012

History is Made as 100th GREY CUP on TSN Becomes Most-Watched Ever on English-Language Television

[...deletia...]

Preliminary overnight data from BBM Canada confirms that the 100th GREY CUP delivered an average audience of 5.5 million viewers on TSN, making it the most-watched CFL championship game ever recorded on English-language television.*

Meanwhile, an average audience of 5.8 million watched the 100th GREY CUP on TSN and RDS, marking a 28% increase in viewers compared to last year and earning an incredible national 16.1 rating. Audiences jumped even higher for younger viewers, with a 38% increase among A18-34.

Overall, more than 13 million Canadians – or more than one in three Canadians – tuned in to watch some or all of last night’s broadcast on TSN and RDS.

knorthern knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 02:23 AM
DoyleG
Mr. Reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiser matias View Post
It depends on your cable provider. When I lived in Edmonton and used Telus, I had to pay for the sports package that included TSN, Sportsnet, TSN2, SN1, and a couple others. Now that I'm back on Vancouver Island and with Shaw, TSN and Sportsnet come on the basic cable package; the others cost extra.
I get TSN and TSN2 with Telus here on VI.

DoyleG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 09:00 AM
Darlotto99

Bell should just buy the entire league.

Darlotto99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 02:09 PM
Mungman
It's you not me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darlotto99 View Post
Bell should just buy the entire league.
Vince McMahon tried that when he started up the XFL, good thing that bullet was dodged.

Also, what's his face that ran against the chosen one for President last year tried to buy the NHL lock stock and barrel through the company he ran.

Mungman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 02:30 PM
silvercanuck

Quote:

The CFL has one broadcasting deal with TSN.

The NHL has national deals with TSN, CBC, NBC, and local TV deals with dozens of carriers. Some of the local carriers are almost on par with the TSN-CFL deal.

silvercanuck is offline   Reply With Quote