HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Oilers lose 3-0 ...Game Over

Old
03-24-2013, 12:11 AM
Soundwave

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky_83 View Post
That kind of team rarely wins in the NHL.
Nobody was seriously expecting playoffs this year. All the fans want is a team with a damn pulse. And they're not getting it, so they're upset. Hence the booing.

I'd rather watch the Oilers lose 6-3 than watch *that*.

For a person who's paying $100 to watch that Swiss national team imitation and another $20 for a beer and a hot dog ... I don't blame them. Boo away.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
GreatKeith

vCash: 50
Quote:
Really? Young 24-year old defenseman for an impending UFA? That was a bad deal from the onset.
People actually missed Joni "I have a cough so I'm not playing" Pitkanen? Guy made Gilbert look like Chris Pronger in so many ways.

GreatKeith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Samwise Gagner
We suck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
And therefore firing Tambo and hiring Burke puts us on a course to the playoffs.... how?
Were you somehow under the impression that things are supposed to happen that quickly in the nhl?
The point of a Burke is unlike Tamblowe he wouldn't be afraid to make the trades to acquire the type of players we need. I'm not suggesting that he's anything close to perfect, but that alone beats our current set up big time.

Samwise Gagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Ranfordrocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Yep, I did suggest that earlier in the thread. Man Hitchcock is back in the business here with this lineup playing for him the way they are.

Yet Oilers org has never expressed one iota of interest in Hitchcock who bloody well comes from Edmonton.
i agree 100% they shouldnt have any intrest in him cuase this club was born as oilers hockey run and gun up tempo they dont need a trapping coach in this organization. if anything fire kruger try and talk gretzky into coaching again. they need a offensive minded coach.

Ranfordrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 12:12 AM
KarmaPolice
Masterdebater

vCash: 999
Send a message via MSN to KarmaPolice
Quote:
And LA won last year with Quick. Boston won the previous year with Thomas. Hmm...

Remember Cam Ward? Or Gigeuere in his glory days?
Ward's been pretty brutal. Giguere's never been anything fantastic. Good teams have won with terrible goalies, and that's just a fact, so it is possible. It's happened quite often, actually. That's even giving you that our goaltending would be 'awful', when it would very likely still be average.

KarmaPolice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 12:12 AM
GreatKeith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samwise Gagner View Post
Were you somehow under the impression that things are supposed to happen that quickly in the nhl?
The point of a Burke is unlike Tamblowe he wouldn't be afraid to make the trades to acquire the type of players we need. I'm not suggesting that he's anything close to perfect, but that alone beats our current set up big time.
So you're okay with mortgaging future players for aging vets? Send Hall to toronto for Lupul!

Old
03-24-2013, 12:13 AM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

vCash: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaPolice View Post
Those guys aren't available. You go with the best option. If not Burke, then who do you suggest? I don't really know myself; it's an honest question.
Take someone from a winning franchise(somewhat similar situation to ours(high end talent through draft) and hire them.

For example, Montreal hired Marc Bergevin(sp?) from Chicago as a rookie GM, and he's done incredibly well for that franchise. They are 2nd in the East currently, after picking Galchenyuk last draft.

Jason Botterill from the Penguins. Edmonton boy too.

03-24-2013, 12:14 AM
GreatKeith

Quote:
Ward's been pretty brutal. Giguere's never been anything fantastic. Good teams have won with terrible goalies, and that's just a fact, so it is possible. It's happened quite often, actually.
Niemi since the lockout. That's... about it.

Carolina would not have won the Cup without Ward. Simple is that. J.S Giguere has a Conn Smythe and a Cup ring in two seperate years. Do you think Anaheim makes the Final in '03 without him? Do you think Calgary makes it in '04 without Kipper? Do we make it in '06 without Roli?

Old
03-24-2013, 12:15 AM
syz
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

Quote:
Ward's been pretty brutal. Giguere's never been anything fantastic. Good teams have won with terrible goalies, and that's just a fact, so it is possible. It's happened quite often, actually. That's even giving you that our goaltending would be 'awful', when it would very likely still be average.
Good teams have won with terrible goalies when they've stopped being terrible for a playoff run.

syz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranfordrocks View Post
i agree 100% they shouldnt have any intrest in him cuase this club was born as oilers hockey run and gun up tempo they dont need a trapping coach in this organization. if anything fire kruger try and talk gretzky into coaching again. they need a offensive minded coach.
You should watch the 82 playoffs against LA Kings, or the 83 playoff final against the NYI if you think run and gun accomplished much of anything ever for this club.

What it accomplishes is getting schooled and losing, bad when it counts by teams that are only too glad to take you to the shed.

Replacement is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
DisgruntledGoat

Quote:
People actually missed Joni "I have a cough so I'm not playing" Pitkanen? Guy made Gilbert look like Chris Pronger in so many ways.
I hated Pitkanen but that was just bad asset management.

Hearing the Oilers pimp Cole as a goal-scoring left winger to go with Hemsky and then having Cole show up and say he had never played left wing. . . that was even worse, though.

Actually, now that I think about it. . . its probably better if Oiler management doesn't make any trades.

DisgruntledGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Quote:
Originally Posted by syz View Post
Fixed.
True.

The first team people think of when you say that is Pittsburgh - but people underrate how potent that team is defensively. They're at their best when one of Malkin/Crosby is injured, and the other 3 lines buck up and play Phoenix-esque defense.

It's necessary when MAF is one of the more overpaid, overrated goalies in the league. He's not going to backstop them to wins.

But teams like FLA, PHI, CAR, TBL in the past have played that run-and-gun style for sure.

The Perfect Human* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 12:16 AM
Beerfish

Quote:

Carolina would not have won the Cup without Ward. Simple is that. J.S Giguere has a Conn Smythe and a Cup ring in two seperate years. Do you think Anaheim makes the Final in '03 without him? Do you think Calgary makes it in '04 without Kipper? Do we make it in '06 without Roli?
Yeah the philly chicago cup final proved you have to have great great tending to win. Niemi sucked horribly and unbelievably was not the worst goalie in that series and or playoffs.

Do you want to mortage the future by trading Hall for Luongo?!?!?!

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
Take someone from a winning franchise(somewhat similar situation to ours(high end talent through draft) and hire them.

For example, Montreal hired Marc Bergevin(sp?) from Chicago as a rookie GM, and he's done incredibly well for that franchise. They are 2nd in the East currently, after picking Galchenyuk last draft.

Jason Botterill from the Penguins. Edmonton boy too.
I just don't feel comfortable with a rookie GM and this group. Recipe for ugly. I was happy with the Krueger hiring, but now I see what a colossal mistake that was. Would rather have Renney back.

A team this young and fragile needs experienced people at the GM and coaching positions to see it through.

Not someone who's going to try to figure things out on the fly.

Old
Samwise Gagner
We suck.

Quote:
So you're okay with mortgaging future players for aging vets? Send Hall to toronto for Lupul!
Yes, because that's exactly the trade I was thinking. Nailed it bro.

Toronto is a reasonably solid team now and that's his doing. The Oilers are... The Oilers, thanks Tamblowe.

Samwise Gagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Starbuds
You like muscles?

I saw Hall's interview on TSN.

"We aren't going to change because the fans are booing. Next game we will change it."

What? What he needs to change is his waist high cross ice saucer passes.

Starbuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
KarmaPolice
Masterdebater

vCash: 999
Send a message via MSN to KarmaPolice
Quote:

Ward got hot. Rollie got hot. Kipper got hot. Quick got hot. They're all average/above-average goalies that got hot when it mattered. Osgood did it, too. Tells you it can happen to almost anyone. They all got hot at the right time. None of them are perennial Vezina quality goalies. How many Cups does Hasek have again?

KarmaPolice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
GreatKeith

Quote:
True.

The first team people think of when you say that is Pittsburgh - but people underrate how potent that team is defensively. They're at their best when one of Malkin/Crosby is injured, and the other 3 lines buck up and play Phoenix-esque defense.

It's necessary when MAF is one of the more overpaid, overrated goalies in the league. He's not going to backstop them to wins.

But teams like FLA, PHI, CAR, TBL in the past have played that run-and-gun style for sure.
Any coincidence they're in the no defense conference?

Old
03-24-2013, 12:17 AM
Puritania

vCash: 1206
Quote:
Great, we can trade RNH and a first for Brad Richards. Then sign Jarome Iginla to a 5 year, 35 million dollar deal.
Quote:
I don't know why you always feel the need to misrepresent people's positions with silly posts like this when you are discussing things, you're better than that man.

Puritania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 12:17 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
That kind of team rarely wins in the NHL.
So uhhh are we winning now? No and in the process we are seeing Hall's, RNH's, Eberle's, Yakupov's and J. Schultz's confidences fly out the window.

03-24-2013, 12:18 AM
Asher

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgruntledGoat View Post
I hated Pitkanen but that was just bad asset management.

Hearing the Oilers pimp Cole as a goal-scoring left winger to go with Hemsky and then having Cole show up and say he had never played left wing. . . that was even worse, though.

Actually, now that I think about it. . . its probably better if Oiler management doesn't make any trades.
At least they were able to trade him for O'Sullivan though. I hear he's playing pretty good in Finland.

Asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Q Continuum
The trial never ends

vCash: 691
The Oilers are never going to hire someone that thinks for themselves.

This org seems destined to be a brown nosing old boys club.

"Yes Tambo, you're so smart, you're the best GM in the league!"

"Why thank you Ralph, you're the best coach ever, you know that?

Q Continuum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
You should watch the 82 playoffs against LA Kings, or the 83 playoff final against the NYI if you think run and gun accomplished much of anything ever for this club.

What it accomplishes is getting schooled and losing, bad when it counts by teams that are only too glad to take you to the shed.
As opposed to what we're doing now which is not getting schooled and losing?

The fans paying $100 deserve to at least have some entertainment value for their dollar, and there's no excuse for there not to be when you've drafted 1st three freaking times in a row and drafted high octane forwards every single time.

Old
Hockey Buddha
Joensuu

Quote:
Toronto is looking in good shape to go to the playoffs with much worse goal-tending numbers this year than us, so I wouldn't be so sure about that. Further, the Blues' goaltending numbers haven't been flattering this year. How did they look like to you, as an overall team, tonight. I don't buy that '80% goaltending crap' at all, I have to be honest. Hell, Detroit won TWICE with a complete sieve in Osgood.
Howard is decent, but prior to him goaltending had long been Detroit's Achille's heel; they would have won more championships with elite goaltending imo. It cost them a lot, and yet it's the one area they never fully addressed. An enigma for an otherwise great organization imo.

Hockey Buddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 12:19 AM
GreatKeith

Quote:
Ward got hot. Rollie got hot. Kipper got hot. Quick got hot. They're all average/above-average goalies that got hot when it mattered. Osgood did it, too. Tells you it can happen to almost anyone. They all got hot at the right time. None of them are perennial Vezina quality goalies. How many Cups does Hasek have again?
...You're not seriously telling me that Quick and Kipprusoff are average, are you? The latter already has a Vezina. What about Brodeur? 3 rings and a few Vezinas. Don't tell me he's average too.

Hasek has a ring or two, I forget.