HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Oilers lose 3-0 ...Game Over

Old
03-24-2013, 12:19 AM
oil4life14

vCash: 500
Blues vs oilers was like men vs boys!! Oil change? How bout diaper change? Seems more appropriate!!

oil4life14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 12:19 AM
syz
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky_83 View Post
True.

The first team people think of when you say that is Pittsburgh - but people underrate how potent that team is defensively. They're at their best when one of Malkin/Crosby is injured, and the other 3 lines buck up and play Phoenix-esque defense.

It's necessary when MAF is one of the more overpaid, overrated goalies in the league. He's not going to backstop them to wins.

But teams like FLA, PHI, CAR, TBL in the past have played that run-and-gun style for sure.
Teams like that can get away with it out east because they all seem to be willing to oblige each other in it for whatever reason.

Chicago seems to be the only team in the west who has any interest in it.

Would be interesting to look into a little bit, actually. Might have something to do with all those elite offensive draft picks ending up in the eastern conference for a long stretch of time until the Oilers decided to get in on it. No one else in the west has sucked for as long as the eastern conference or the Oilers.

syz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 12:20 AM
GreatKeith

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puritania View Post
I don't know why you always feel the need to misrepresent people's positions with silly posts like this when you are discussing things, you're better than that man.
Just irritated that people want Burke on board when he's been a failure everywhere except Anaheim. And even then the team sucked after the Cup win.

GreatKeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 12:20 AM
KarmaPolice
Masterdebater

vCash: 777
Send a message via MSN to KarmaPolice
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
...You're not seriously telling me that Quick and Kipprusoff are average, are you? The latter already has a Vezina. What about Brodeur? 3 rings and a few Vezinas. Don't tell me he's average too.

Hasek has a ring or two, I forget.
My point is, you can win with average goalies that get hot (like we almost did with Rollie). That's all I'm trying to say. You don't 'NEED' an elite goalie to have a shot.

Hasek has two...I thought he only had one.

Still, many 'average' goalies have held that Cup. It's not a must; it just increases the odds, but anything can happen.

KarmaPolice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 12:21 AM
Soundwave

Quote:
Just irritated that people want Burke on board when he's been a failure everywhere except Anaheim. And even then the team sucked after the Cup win.
So 'failure' is anything but winning a Cup?

Who brought the Sedins to Vancouver? Who bought Kesler there? How badly have they owned our division for the last 7-8 years?

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starbuds View Post
I saw Hall's interview on TSN.

"We aren't going to change because the fans are booing. Next game we will change it."

What? What he needs to change is his waist high cross ice saucer passes.

I'm sorry, I've tried to be a bit more level-headed re: his play the past week or so, but this is hilarious (and true).

His saucer pass is amongst the worst in the league. Players with saucers that bad don't even attempt them, because they're afraid of the embarrassment. Hallsy is always happy to try it though, hahaha.

The Perfect Human* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
DisgruntledGoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher View Post
At least they were able to trade him for O'Sullivan though. I hear he's playing pretty good in Finland.
And O'Sullivan for Vandermeer who was useless and let go for nothing.

How many assests has this management group pissed away to nothing like that??

DisgruntledGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 12:22 AM
Puritania
Skooma Addict

vCash: 1206
Quote:
I understand, it just undermines your own argument when you engage in that type of dialogue. It's hard not to take a swipe now and then, but you're better off without it!

Puritania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 12:24 AM
GreatKeith

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaPolice View Post
My point is, you can win with average goalies that get hot (like we almost did with Rollie). That's all I'm trying to say. You don't 'NEED' an elite goalie to have a shot.
If you can outscore your problems like the Hawks did, you don't.

But you're far more likely to win if your goaltending is elite. Quick is elite and it showed not only in the playoffs last year, but during the regular season when his team could not score.

If this team had Quick, Lundqvist, Kipper in his prime, or Brodeur, do you think that they would be this bad? Probably not.

Old
03-24-2013, 12:25 AM
GreatKeith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
So 'failure' is anything but winning a Cup?

Who brought the Sedins to Vancouver? Who bought Kesler there? How badly have they owned our division for the last 7-8 years?
Who brought Cloutier there? Goaltending was the one thing keeping Vancouver from a Cup or a decent playoff run and he never addressed it.

People aren't comfortable with Dubnyk going forward, so why bring in a guy that has no clue what good goaltending looks like?

Old
03-24-2013, 12:26 AM
raab
Where's the Hart?

vCash: 580
Quote:
...You're not seriously telling me that Quick and Kipprusoff are average, are you? The latter already has a Vezina. What about Brodeur? 3 rings and a few Vezinas. Don't tell me he's average too.

Hasek has a ring or two, I forget.
I heard that Roy guy had a few championship rings to... but no goaltending doesn't win championships. Fact is you build your team from the net out, Edmonton has done it completely ass backwards.

raab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Beerfish

Not sure why anyone is talking about Burke, there is ZERO chance he would ever end up being here as long as Katz owns the team and or Lowe is connected with the team.

We all know how this is going to go down. After another year of failure Krueger will get canned and MacT will take over during the year on an interim basis. Then after the year Tambo will get canned and MacT will be the new GM. MacT will be the next GM with Howson helping out. Get used to it now it will take the sting away when it actually happens.

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
KarmaPolice
Masterdebater

Quote:
If you can outscore your problems like the Hawks did, you don't.

But you're far more likely to win if your goaltending is elite. Quick is elite and it showed not only in the playoffs last year, but during the regular season when his team could not score.

If this team had Quick, Lundqvist, Kipper in his prime, or Brodeur, do you think that they would be this bad? Probably not.
Yes. They still have horrible breakouts, below average D-core, small forwards. We still score 0 goals tonight no matter who was in net, and we'd still win nothing with the current roster regardless of the goalie, as well. The rest are not nearly good enough for ANY goalie to make up for. That blows the '80% goal-tending' theory out of the water, if anything does.

Old
03-24-2013, 12:27 AM
Soundwave

Quote:
Who brought Cloutier there? Goaltending was the one thing keeping Vancouver from a Cup or a decent playoff run and he never addressed it.

People aren't comfortable with Dubnyk going forward, so why bring in a guy that has no clue what good goaltending looks like?
I'll acknowledge goaltending is his achilles heel, but it's one area of weakness, instead of the 15 areas of weakness and inadequacy our current front office has. I know which I would prefer.

Honestly too I think Stu is overrated, anyone can pick 1st overall, a lot of these secondary picks they hyped up like Pitlick and so on look like busts. Burke is very adept at finding good talent at later positions in the draft (see: our own Justin Schultz).

Old
03-24-2013, 12:29 AM
GreatKeith

Quote:
Yes. They still have horrible breakouts, below average D-core, small forwards. We still score 0 goals tonight no matter who was in net, and we'd still win nothing with the current roster regardless of the goalie, as well. The rest are not nearly good enough for ANY goalie to make up for. That blows the '80% goal-tending' theory out of the water, if anything does.
Of course you're not going to win if you don't score. This team isn't built for Western Conference hockey unfortunately.

But if it was Bernier in net and not Quick, do the Kings win the Cup? Or Rask instead of Thomas?

Patrick Roy won 4 times, I heard he's pretty good...

Old
03-24-2013, 12:29 AM
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
Not sure why anyone is talking about Burke, there is ZERO chance he would ever end up being here as long as Katz owns the team and or Lowe is connected with the team.

We all know how this is going to go down. After another year of failure Krueger will get canned and MacT will take over during the year on an interim basis. Then after the year Tambo will get canned and MacT will be the new GM. MacT will be the next GM with Howson helping out. Get used to it now it will take the sting away when it actually happens.
The Oilers are such an old boys club, fine let Lowe stay in his useless role as "president" of whatever it is. Who knows maybe even 1 out of 4 of Lowe's suggestions might even make sense. But Burke should be GM with final say on hockey decisions.

The booing today will make ripples, make no mistake.

If the Oilers finish in the lottery again, the fans will demand blood, and that's going to be Tamby's head this time.

Old
03-24-2013, 12:30 AM
jbean

A gm that doesnt know what a good goalie looks like is better than a gm that doesnt know what unprecedented levels of suckage looks like.

jbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 12:31 AM
GreatKeith

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbean View Post
A gm that doesnt know what a good goalie looks like is better than a gm that doesnt know what unprecedented levels of suckage looks like.
Great so we can lose 7-0 instead of 3-0. Monster improvement.

Old
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
As opposed to what we're doing now which is not getting schooled and losing?

The fans paying $100 deserve to at least have some entertainment value for their dollar, and there's no excuse for there not to be when you've drafted 1st three freaking times in a row and drafted high octane forwards every single time.
Perhaps you realize now that drafting top picks isn't the answer to success.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
raab
Where's the Hart?

vCash: 580
Quote:
Meh, we might have won with an elite goalie. They might have been able to match the shutout and get to a shootout or keep it a 1 goal game and maybe Edmonton scores a late one to tie it up.

raab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
GreatKeith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Making good trades is a part of that. Too bad we didn't have an Erik Johnson to offer the Avs in that horrendous trade.

Old
03-24-2013, 12:32 AM
KarmaPolice
Masterdebater

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
I heard that Roy guy had a few championship rings to... but no goaltending doesn't win championships. Fact is you build your team from the net out, Edmonton has done it completely ass backwards.
Come on...Roy won two Cups in Mtl when he basically revolutionized the way the position was played, and those teams were still really good. In Colorado, those teams were elite. That was hardly all Roy, and goal tending does not win you anything in-and-of-itself. You still need to score; you need good forwards and defenseman. Do yourself a favour and look at the rosters of the teams that have won a Cup the past 20 years. You'll notice how stacked they were at virtually all positions. The exception (that proves the rule) that sticks out is Carolina, but we had that Cup if not for Rollie going down--he was on fire; an average goalie gone red hot.

Old
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
I'm fine with that philosophy, but its fair for the fans to expect some entertainment value for their dollar, especially when you have this level of skill in the line up.

Wreck It Ralph needs to be read the riot act by the front office. I don't care if they lose every single game the rest of the way. Score some bloody goals.

That's what those people in those seats paying higher than "the NBA champion Miami Heat" ticket prices want. Thats it.

Old
Six in O6

Terrible effort. St. Louis is a good team, but we had our chances. This team had no passion and simply rolled over. We could learn a lot from St. Louis. Also, P.J nailed it in the post game break down... this team does not go to the house. They do so many fly-bys in the defensive (and offensive) zone that they might as well change the team name to Airplanes. The effort and compete level is brutal. We gave up possession in our own zone way too often and go tbeat to pucks because we are soft.

Six in O6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 12:33 AM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Quote:
Making good trades is a part of that. Too bad we didn't have an Erik Johnson to offer the Avs in that horrendous trade.
Unbelievable trade. They give up a defenseman who turns out to be better than EJ (Shattenkirk is a top-pairing defenseman), and one of the top-5 power forwards in the game.

The Perfect Human* is offline   Reply With Quote