HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Oilers lose 3-0 ...Game Over

Old
03-24-2013, 12:33 AM
KarmaPolice
Masterdebater

vCash: 777
Send a message via MSN to KarmaPolice
Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
Meh, we might have won with an elite goalie. They might have been able to match the shutout and get to a shootout or keep it a 1 goal game and maybe Edmonton scores a late one to tie it up.
Maybe, maybe, if, but. You get the idea.

KarmaPolice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 12:34 AM
jbean

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
Great so we can lose 7-0 instead of 3-0. Monster improvement.
It's pretty pathetic having a GM that doesn't seem to be worried about being the worst team in the league over his tenure. Rebuild or not. I will take the GM that is desperate to win (and has won) over the GM that has done absolutely nothing productive over half a decade and his entire life for that matter.

jbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 12:34 AM
HandsomeDoc

Although I refuse to give up on my Oilers (keeping in mind that this season I only expected them to be on the cusp of making it into the playoffs), I have now officially joined the #FreeYakupov movement.

Or at least the #FreeYakupovFromBlackHoleBelanger movement

HandsomeDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 12:35 AM
KarmaPolice
Masterdebater

Quote:
Of course you're not going to win if you don't score. This team isn't built for Western Conference hockey unfortunately.

But if it was Bernier in net and not Quick, do the Kings win the Cup? Or Rask instead of Thomas?

Patrick Roy won 4 times, I heard he's pretty good...
And Osgood was horrible and won it many times, too. There you go; proof you don't NEED an elite goalie to win.

Old
GreatKeith

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbean View Post
It's pretty pathetic having a GM that doesn't seem to be worried about being the worst team in the league over his tenure. Rebuild or not. I will take the GM that is desperate to win (and has won) over the GM that has done absolutely nothing productive over half a decade and his entire life for that matter.
Desperation to win = Dumb trades.

See Kunitz for Whitney.

Or the Erik Johnson trade.

GreatKeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
I'm fine with that philosophy, but its fair for the fans to expect some entertainment value for their dollar, especially when you have this level of skill in the line up.

Wreck It Ralph needs to be read the riot act by the front office. I don't care if they lose every single game the rest of the way. Score some bloody goals.

That's what those people in those seats paying higher than "the NBA champion Miami Heat" ticket prices want. Thats it.
Theres no level of skill that creates wins without adherence to system in the NHL. Sorry. You won't find me one SC champion in modern era that couldn't play both ends of the rink quite well.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 12:36 AM
GreatKeith

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaPolice View Post
And Osgood was horrible and won it many times, too. There you go; proof you don't NEED an elite goalie to win.
But do you think you win more often with Roy and Brodeur or with Niemi and the like?

Old
03-24-2013, 12:37 AM
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Theres no level of skill that creates wins without adherence to system in the NHL. Sorry. You won't find me one SC champion in modern era that couldn't play both ends of the rink quite well.
I don't care about wins at this stage. I never expected playoffs and I'm pretty darn sure 70% of the folks in that crowd didn't either.

That's not why they're booing.

They're booing because they were promised entertainment value and by all rights, this team should be able to provide some with the talent they've been gifted.

THAT is what's unacceptable at this stage.

Only this team could add Yakupov and Schultz to the lineup and somehow become even more boring to watch.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 12:37 AM
Oiltankjob Fail
Eakins GTFO

Like I stated in the gdt , coaching is a problem . When we have had 2 goal leads Krueger the genuis thinks its a great idea to change up the lines trying to protect a lead it has failed every time, but his stubborness keeps prevailing . Tonight absoulutey nothing happening on offense and Krueger keeps lines the same all game. Stubborn again Yak Gagner Prv line was working he switched it up before game did not work keeps with it , he onnly tinkers with what works pathetic.

Oiltankjob Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 12:39 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
I don't care about wins at this stage. I never expected playoffs and I'm pretty darn sure 70% of the folks in that crowd didn't either.

They're booing because they were promised entertainment value and by all rights, this team should be able to provide some with the talent they've been gifted.

So its better to open it up in this game and lose 6-1. Because its what would have likely happened.

Soon as we did open it up STL was burning us alive and Khabi was getting shellshocked.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Quote:

Kinda need this guy to pull that kind of miracle.

The Perfect Human* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
KarmaPolice
Masterdebater

Quote:
But do you think you win more often with Roy and Brodeur or with Niemi and the like?
Maybe. Maybe not. The only point I'm trying to make (and have made) is that elite goal tending is not ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY to win a SC. It's been done many times before. It helps your chances, yes, but it can be overcome with good enough defensemen and systems in place (see: Osgood again, for the 4th time).

If you can't see this obvious point, then this is a waste of time.

Old
GreatKeith

Quote:

As upset as I am about the loss, should we really be surprised about it? This is as defensive a team as there is the West and everyone knows that the Blues capitalize on mistakes. Even Kelly Hrudey knows that. And that's exactly what happened. Three seperate turnovers that ended up in the back of our net. When the first goal went in the Blues went into complete shut down mode.

Old
The Last Dynasty
Big #1 C

meh, like I said in the pre-game...they lost their chance last game to reach the playoffs

the rest of the year is about pride...and they didn't have any tonight

St.Louis played a great road game...Oilers crapped the bed

I love how fans aren't allowed to boo though...people have been paying thousands and thousands of dollars every year for the last several years to watch a sub-par product from the Oilers

what a slap in the face to the patient passionate fanbase

The Last Dynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 12:40 AM
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
So its better to open it up in this game and lose 6-1. Because its what would have likely happened.

Soon as we did open it up STL was burning us alive and Khabi was getting shellshocked.
Or 6-2 or 6-3 sure. I'd take that instead of what we get spoon fed on a nightly basis this season, which is quite frankly one of the most boring teams in all of pro sports.

Old
KarmaPolice
Masterdebater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky_83 View Post

Kinda need this guy to pull that kind of miracle.
And I just alluded to that in my last post. Was going to mention him by name, but it really isn't necessary, I don't think.

Old
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

That being said, Osgood had a 0.930 playoff save percentage the year the Wings won the cup in 2008.

Ward - 0.920 (Roloson 0.927, Markkanen 0.905 - literally why we lost the SCF)
Giguere - 0.922
Osgood - 0.930
MAF - 0.908 (part of the reason why I think he's one of the most overrated goalies in the NHL)
Niemi - 0.910
Thomas - 0.940
Quick - 0.946

The Perfect Human* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Joey Moss
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 226
God I hate listening to Tencer. I listen to the show for comments from the fans but Tencer is just a ****** bag. When someone tells it like it is he just shuts them down or makes some sort of sarcastic remark.

Joey Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 12:41 AM
KarmaPolice
Masterdebater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky_83 View Post
That being said, Osgood had a 0.930 playoff save percentage the year the Wings won the cup in 2008.
And do you think he's that good of a goalie or more of a product of his defensemen and the team's systems?

Old
03-24-2013, 12:41 AM
raab
Where's the Hart?

vCash: 580
Quote:
Having the best defenseman of our generation play on his team didn't help him at all. Think about how many cups the Red Wings would have won if they had traded for Roy instead of the Avalanche. Also do you think the Avalanche win both their Stanley Cups with Thibault instead of Roy?

raab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 12:42 AM
GreatKeith

Quote:
Maybe. Maybe not. The only point I'm trying to make (and have made) is that elite goal tending is not ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY to win a SC. It's been done many times before. It helps your chances, yes, but it can be overcome with good enough defensemen and systems in place (see: Osgood again, for the 4th time).

If you can't see this obvious point, then this is a waste of time.
Detroit also has elite players at all positions and during the pre-cap era they basically bought Cups. Look at that 2002 roster. Completely stacked.

They also haven't won since Osgood retired. In fact they haven't even been close. Detroit is almost always the exception to most rules in hockey.

The Blackhawks probably get past Phoenix last year with even average goaltending. If they had an elite goalie they win the Cup easily.

Old
Soundwave

Quote:
As upset as I am about the loss, should we really be surprised about it? This is as defensive a team as there is the West and everyone knows that the Blues capitalize on mistakes. Even Kelly Hrudey knows that. And that's exactly what happened. Three seperate turnovers that ended up in the back of our net. When the first goal went in the Blues went into complete shut down mode.
This isn't really a one night deal though. This team has consistently been as exciting as watching paint dry outside of a very small handful of games all year long.

I think that's why there's booing from the fans tonight. People are fed up with paying huge dollars for tickets and being put to sleep for most of the game.

Old
GreatKeith

Quote:
This isn't really a one night deal though. This team has consistently been as exciting as watching paint dry outside of a very small handful of games all year long.

I think that's why there's booing from the fans tonight. People are fed up with paying huge dollars for tickets and being put to sleep for most of the game.
Tonight was really the only boring game of the homestand.

Old
03-24-2013, 12:43 AM
Soundwave

Quote:
Tonight was really the only boring game of the homestand.
There's been plenty of dull games. Even when they have a lead they play scared hockey as dictated by Krueger (thanks Ralph).

That whole sales pitch of the "high flying Oilers!" has been a joke. Everyone expected losses.

Old
03-24-2013, 12:44 AM
KarmaPolice
Masterdebater

Quote:
Detroit also has elite players at all positions and during the pre-cap era they basically bought Cups. Look at that 2002 roster. Completely stacked.

They also haven't won since Osgood retired. In fact they haven't even been close. Detroit is almost always the exception to most rules in hockey.

The Blackhawks probably get past Phoenix last year with even average goaltending. If they had an elite goalie they win the Cup easily.
That's all conjecture; I'm not going to address it. I guess we're done. That was nice.