HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ryan Smyth: The most useless player on the team

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-11-2013, 01:42 AM
  #51
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(
 
Mr Forever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: COLLEGE
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,518
vCash: 500
Going into next year, I hope the oilers shed: Smyth, Hemsky, Belanger, Whitney, Peckham and Khabibulin.

With the cap space filled up we can resign Gagner to a deal worth 4.5 per season, so basically you're trading Hemsky's contract cap hit to give it to Gagner.

I hope we sign Scuderi and Horton in the off season.

I think we can roll three lines:

Paajarvi-Gagner-Yakupov
Hartikainen-RNH-Eberle
Hall-Horcoff-Horton
Eager-Lander-Brown
Petrell

Schultz-Smid
Klefbom-Petry
N Schultz-Scuderi
Fistric

Mr Forever is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 02:19 AM
  #52
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers
 
GreatKeith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 11,165
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paralyzer008 View Post
Corey Potter says hello
Lennart Petrell says hello

Two players right there who Smyth is better than
We sat Petrell for Smyth against the Preds... Just saying.

GreatKeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 11:29 AM
  #53
KarmaPolice
Masterdebater
 
KarmaPolice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: In Limbo
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,421
vCash: 777
Send a message via MSN to KarmaPolice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiltankjob 4 93 64 View Post
And Hopefully Smyth realizes this as well and does right thing and hangs them up , he would have a lot more respect from Oiler fans.
He wont. He probably thinks he's still a superstar, or atleast can be a key contributor, as he has never been the sharpest tool in the shed.

KarmaPolice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 11:53 AM
  #54
KlimasLoveChild
Registered User
 
KlimasLoveChild's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: The Toilet of Canada
Posts: 1,258
vCash: 500
He should be told to retire at the end of the season. If he refuses, buy him out. Simple as that. His best before date was Dec. of last year.

KlimasLoveChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 12:00 PM
  #55
0ilerman
The King
 
0ilerman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Capital City
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,917
vCash: 500
if I have to see one more muffin clapper from him coming off the RW...

0ilerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 12:54 PM
  #56
Delicious Pancakes
Registered User
 
Delicious Pancakes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Penner's spare tire
Country: Canada
Posts: 750
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0ilerman View Post
if I have to see one more muffin clapper from him coming off the RW...
It was just a few games ago, can't remember which one but Smytty comes across the blueline on a 3 on 2 on the right side, the drop pass is right there and instead he muffs a slapper from 50 feet out which the goalie gloves calmly like a catcher taking warmup pitches. He needs to stick to plays within 15 feet of the goalie or move the puck to somebody else.

Delicious Pancakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 04:16 PM
  #57
misfit
Moderator
 
misfit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: just north of...everything
Posts: 15,575
vCash: 50
Smyth has been making that play for years. He scored on it once about 10 years ago and it just became more frequent since then.

He's never a threat to score on that play, but overall it either ends up as a rebound that you've got a chance on, or the goalie freezes it and there's a faceoff in the offensive zone. It's a safe play with little downside. I'd rather he did that then try to deke the defender and end up turning the puck over at the blueline.

__________________
If you are offended by this post, it's probably because you're ugly.
misfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 05:57 PM
  #58
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade
 
AlowlyOilersfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,125
vCash: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0ilerman View Post
if I have to see one more muffin clapper from him coming off the RW...
Just have Yakupov switch jerseys with Smyth and wear a wig.

AlowlyOilersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 06:20 PM
  #59
KlimasLoveChild
Registered User
 
KlimasLoveChild's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: The Toilet of Canada
Posts: 1,258
vCash: 500
I remember Smyth being slow but not this slow. Did he just drop off a cliff or did he do nothing during the lockout?

KlimasLoveChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 11:17 PM
  #60
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers
 
GreatKeith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 11,165
vCash: 50
Time to take Old Yeller out back. Not only the worst player on the team but quite possibly the NHL.

GreatKeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 11:20 PM
  #61
BlueChip01
HFBoards Sponsor
 
BlueChip01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,943
vCash: 500
Our reject of a GM signed him for next year right?

Nice!

BlueChip01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 11:22 PM
  #62
Oiltankjob Fail
Eakins GTFO
 
Oiltankjob Fail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 6,044
vCash: 500
The guy is slow very selfish and a waste of skates.

Oiltankjob Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 11:32 PM
  #63
MetaOil1993
Registered User
 
MetaOil1993's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,997
vCash: 450
Smyth was my favourite Oiler growing up but he has to be the most useless player I have seen in some time. If he wants to gain respect again then he will do the right thing and retire in the summer.

MetaOil1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 12:12 AM
  #64
Dave
 
Dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 3,509
vCash: 500
He's a total embarrassment on the ice, he doesn't belong in this league anymore.

In the game tonight there was a (maybe) 2 on 1 with smyth driving the left side with tons of space and yak was driving the right. Smyth takes hes patented 45mph muffin slapshot from the top of the circle and halak just swallows it. You could see yak's reaction in the background, he couldn't believe that smyth decided to take that shot rather than make a potentially useful play.

Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 12:14 AM
  #65
Ranfordrocks
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 506
vCash: 500
i disagree he good at take aways picking off passes and good on p.k not bad on face offs and underated passer.

but Belanger is the most useless player on the team! by a country mile

Ranfordrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 12:14 AM
  #66
Soundwave
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 24,185
vCash: 500
That 2 on 1 with Yakupov ....

Ugh. Just ... ugh.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 12:16 AM
  #67
Dave
 
Dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 3,509
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranfordrocks View Post
i disagree he good at take aways picking off passes and good on p.k not bad on face offs and underated passer.

but Belanger is the most useless player on the team! by a country mile
Belanger needs to go too. There was one point in the game where he was controlling the puck just inside the Blues' blueline, we had 4 players inside the zone. Instead of trying to make any play in the offensive zone, he skates the puck out of the offensive zone and turns it over. The oilers proceed to get stuck in their zone for a few shifts.

Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 12:34 AM
  #68
Joey Moss
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Joey Moss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 22,082
vCash: 226
I'm still pissed off at the selfish two on one play.. He has scored like one clapper in his career from that spot, yet that's his go to shot for some reason. Guy has the worst shot on the team and he didn't even look to Yakupov on that play. Yak's reaction was obvious..

Smyth has a huge ego, and he always has. That play was just a perfect example of his selfishness and carelessness he displays basically every night. He's making it hard to remember the good days he was here.

Sorry if that's a little dramatic.. but the guy is a joke now. The fact he was pissed off and wouldn't talk to the media when he was a healthy scratch makes me so frustrated when I watch how much effort he puts out.

Joey Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 12:51 AM
  #69
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1
Registered User
 
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: E-town
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,645
vCash: 500
Eric Belanger for the win.

LoudmouthHemskyfan#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 12:58 AM
  #70
Spartan117
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Parts Unknown
Country: Canada
Posts: 335
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
Dammit why did you have to drive that dagger into my heart? Just imagine... People would have called Tambo an idiot for letting him go there...

It wasn't Tambellini's problem. His job is to improve his team by any means available. Smyth was not that means of improving the team. Smyth was brought in for the fans and PR, nothing more. If he could manage some goals it would have been a bonus.

Smyth is more of a hinderance to the team than anything now. I only wonder how much knowledge he's passing on to the youth like Guerin, Roberts and Recchi did before retiring. He's sloth like out there and doesn't react with split second accuracy the way he used to, because he doesn't care anymore. He doesn't have the heart he used to which is the worst part because he was known for heart. I still think all he has to do is turn it up a notch and we'd at least see better play out of him.

Horcoff has been publicly vocal and sounds like he's a good influence on young players. But if he really wants to be a leader on this team, he's gotta start by handing over the reins to Taylor Hall who is the obvious next choice for captain. Then he should consider retiring cause his injuries took his career far too early. He could have really been awesome. Great passer, heads up scorer, awesome at draws. I don't know, I still have hope for him that somehow the old Horcoff will come back and put at least 40 pts a season.

Hemsky should be getting more points but for some reason I always think he should be a point a game guy because of his God given talent. I'm just happy he's playing so aggressively. Compared to his usual play, he's almost reckless this season. This is certainly a fresh look for him. I hope he sticks around but only if he continues to produce. I still hold hope for him because once the team improves, he'll start putting up better point totals.

Belanger............don't know why he's here. Supposed to be our faceoff guy and give 3rd line scoring punch. Not happening. I like him and want more from him. Still hoping.

Our defence needs to pick it up. Whitney and Petry aren't putting up numbers at all and J. Schultz has hit a wall. N. Schultz and Fistric aren't shutting things down like I thought they would. Smid has been steady. Where is Potter and why isn't he getting a chance or has he passed his prime? I wish Andy Sutton was back. He always manages to put a fire under the players bums.

Biggest problem, toughness. Nobody is scared of this years players. Our guys are push overs and can't stay on their feet. They need to strike fear into the opposition, physically and offensively with all the talent. Once opponents see how tough the Oilers are physically they'll be more timid to attack them. Once opponents see how often they're getting lit up on the scoreboard, they'll sit on their heals playing tight defence and our offence will get more shots on net/more goals.

Spartan117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 01:16 AM
  #71
bucks_oil
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,868
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiltankjob 4 93 64 View Post
Type of goal that killed Salo's career.
That type of goal, yes... plus on a huge stage... plus in the same year that a devastating personal loss (so the rumours go) all contrived to kill his confidence while he was at an age where (in order to stay on top) his mental game has to be an asset not a detriment.

So, there was a whole heck of a lot more at play than a (very) bad goal.

bucks_oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 01:26 AM
  #72
bucks_oil
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,868
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan117 View Post
It wasn't Tambellini's problem. His job is to improve his team by any means available. Smyth was not that means of improving the team. Smyth was brought in for the fans and PR, nothing more. If he could manage some goals it would have been a bonus.

Smyth is more of a hinderance to the team than anything now. I only wonder how much knowledge he's passing on to the youth like Guerin, Roberts and Recchi did before retiring. He's sloth like out there and doesn't react with split second accuracy the way he used to, because he doesn't care anymore. He doesn't have the heart he used to which is the worst part because he was known for heart. I still think all he has to do is turn it up a notch and we'd at least see better play out of him.

Horcoff has been publicly vocal and sounds like he's a good influence on young players. But if he really wants to be a leader on this team, he's gotta start by handing over the reins to Taylor Hall who is the obvious next choice for captain. Then he should consider retiring cause his injuries took his career far too early. He could have really been awesome. Great passer, heads up scorer, awesome at draws. I don't know, I still have hope for him that somehow the old Horcoff will come back and put at least 40 pts a season.

Hemsky should be getting more points but for some reason I always think he should be a point a game guy because of his God given talent. I'm just happy he's playing so aggressively. Compared to his usual play, he's almost reckless this season. This is certainly a fresh look for him. I hope he sticks around but only if he continues to produce. I still hold hope for him because once the team improves, he'll start putting up better point totals.

Belanger............don't know why he's here. Supposed to be our faceoff guy and give 3rd line scoring punch. Not happening. I like him and want more from him. Still hoping.

Our defence needs to pick it up. Whitney and Petry aren't putting up numbers at all and J. Schultz has hit a wall. N. Schultz and Fistric aren't shutting things down like I thought they would. Smid has been steady. Where is Potter and why isn't he getting a chance or has he passed his prime? I wish Andy Sutton was back. He always manages to put a fire under the players bums.

Biggest problem, toughness. Nobody is scared of this years players. Our guys are push overs and can't stay on their feet. They need to strike fear into the opposition, physically and offensively with all the talent. Once opponents see how tough the Oilers are physically they'll be more timid to attack them. Once opponents see how often they're getting lit up on the scoreboard, they'll sit on their heals playing tight defence and our offence will get more shots on net/more goals.
Horcoff IS on a 40pts/season pace. WYSIWYG... I still think he has a 55pt pace available, but he's a perfect complementary player, nothing more. He goes as the team does and puts together a few games where he reminds players to bear down and use determination over skill. We need more of that not less.

Smyth... I agree, he's done. Lost the competitive fire and that's all he's had to go on for the last decade.

Belanger... why on earth are you still hoping for more? On a team with small/softer top 6, we can't have a "cerebral" type 4th line center. He needs to be replaced for a better fit.

Whitney... Capital M, capital E.... that is all.

Lynch... I mean Petry... overhyped and not ready. Never more than a #5 as far as I see... he can stay, but might as well start upgrading around him. Our prospects are a long way off, but if we could somehow sign 2 #4's next summer, we'd be able to at least stem the tide and keep climbing in the standings.

bucks_oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 05:04 PM
  #73
*M*J*D*
Registered User
 
*M*J*D*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Regina, Sask, CANADA
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,423
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to *M*J*D*
Is there any chance we move Smyth?

I can't remember hearing that we gave him a no trade clause with the new deal, I never hear Stauffer mention moving him either, is it a given that he is staying?

*M*J*D* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 05:08 PM
  #74
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone
 
jumptheshark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: hf retirement home
Country: United Nations
Posts: 52,557
vCash: 1850
this could be a fun debate

__________________
not sure how--but the fish just jumped in the boat and put the hook in it's mouth
52299/14814
The twenty year rebuild is on!!! Embrace the suck
jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 05:10 PM
  #75
dnicks17
Moderator
.
 
dnicks17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,612
vCash: 500
Depends on how much we need to add to get "future considerations" back.

dnicks17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:58 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.