HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

The Process of Trading Jarome Iginla Has Begun - Part 2

Closed Thread

Old
03-24-2013, 12:21 AM
Sidney the Kidney
Beastmode Penguins

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedberg1 View Post
Dreger tweeted that his source said Iginla's list contained Pittsburgh, Boston, LA and Chicago about an hour ago
I have to admit I'll be pissed if the Pens strike out on acquiring him and the eventual package one of the other teams gets him for is one the Pens could have easily matched but didn't.

Old
03-24-2013, 12:37 AM
TheGrifter
Rookie User

I've seen some posts from Boston fans who really seemed convinced that Boston is the place to be for Iginla, should he leave Calgary. If Jerome Iginla is looking for an absolute best shot at winning a Stanley Cup, Boston is not the place to take your chances with.

Don't get me wrong, Boston has a solid team but they are just that, solid, there's a few other destinations with teams who are downright electrifying with significantly better core players who are locked up long term. Boston just doesn't make sense if he is truly looking to win a Stanley Cup in a short window of opportunity.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest that his first choice would be Pittsburgh. Not that it matters but Pittsburgh also has the playerest of players coaches in the history of the NHL.

Last edited by TheGrifter: 03-24-2013 at 12:51 AM.
Old
03-24-2013, 12:43 AM
Tender Rip
Learning from Scuds?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruins4Cup2013 View Post
Iginla says he dont wanna be a rental
Request for link seconded.
Until then I rather think you are merely speculating based on - at best - anonymous 'sources'.

Old
03-24-2013, 12:46 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Sather

03-24-2013, 12:47 AM
Money Baer
COYS

vCash: 577
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrifter View Post
I've seen some posts from Boston fans who really seemed convinced that Boston is the place to be for Iginla, should he leave Calgary. If Jerome Iginla is looking for an absolute best shot at winning a Stanley Cup, Boston is not the place to take your chances with.

Don't get me wrong, Boston has a solid team but they are just that, solid, there's a few other destinations with teams who are downright electrifying with significantly better core players who are locked up long term. Boston just doesn't make sense if he is truly looking to win a Stanley Cup in a short window of opportunity.
I would disagree with this post.

Boston, LA, Chicago, and Pittsburgh are probably the top-4 destinations with the best shot at winning the cup.

Old
03-24-2013, 12:53 AM
TheGrifter
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by wally31 View Post
I would disagree with this post.

Boston, LA, Chicago, and Pittsburgh are probably the top-4 destinations with the best shot at winning the cup.

Let's be honest, Boston is last on that list. That's what I'm getting at.

Also, who will be in that position (serious contender) for the next 5 or so years, presumably the remainder of Jerome's career. Boston is an aging Chara and a lost player or two away from mediocrity.

Old
03-24-2013, 12:56 AM
spiny norman
Global Moderator
Dinsdale !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tender Rip View Post
Request for link seconded.
Until then I rather think you are merely speculating based on - at best - anonymous 'sources'.
Kevin Weekes mentioned it tonight during the HNIC Satellite Hotstove about Iginla not wanting to be a rental.

Perhaps it's just speculation.

Old
03-24-2013, 12:59 AM
Tender Rip
Learning from Scuds?

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiny norman View Post
Kevin Weekes mentioned it tonight during the HNIC Satellite Hotstove about Iginla not wanting to be a rental.

Perhaps it's just speculation.
Oh, it makes sense alright, and I didn't want to be snippy.
As an ex-journalist I just hate references to "X said Y" when said person has consistently been saying absolutely nothing on the record.

Old
03-24-2013, 12:59 AM
HighLifeMan
HFB Partner

I don't know why everyone has discounted the possibility of a sign and trade. Not only does it give Calgary more flexibility in a trade but it also gives Iginla some stability moving forward. In all honesty it becomes a huge positive for all three parties involved (albeit the acquiring team will have to give up more assets).

He is only 35 years old and has plenty of productive hockey to be played.

Old
03-24-2013, 01:05 AM
Tender Rip
Learning from Scuds?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLifeMan View Post
I don't know why everyone has discounted the possibility of a sign and trade. Not only does it give Calgary more flexibility in a trade but it also gives Iginla some stability moving forward. In all honesty it becomes a huge positive for all three parties involved (albeit the acquiring team will have to give up more assets).

He is only 35 years old and has plenty of productive hockey to be played.
The only thing that does for Iginla is give him insurance against sustaining a career ending injury between now and July 1st.

Otherwise it simply takes away his options, as teams would be lining up for him in free agency. If I were Iginla, I tell Feaster where I'd like to go as a rental, play that out in search for the cup, and then after the season decide if I like that situation enough - team, city, organization etc. - that I will bring my family there for the reminder of my career.

Old
03-24-2013, 01:10 AM
mich25

Quote:

Also, who will be in that position (serious contender) for the next 5 or so years, presumably the remainder of Jerome's career. Boston is an aging Chara and a lost player or two away from mediocrity.
Wow are you kidding me. I think most Boston fans would absolutely disagree with you. Most of their core/best players will be together and are signed for the next 4+ years (avg). Seguin, Marchand, Chara, Lucic, Kelly, Hamilton, Peverely, Boychuck, McQuid and Krejci aren't going anywhere soon unless they are traded and even though Bergeron is an UFA after next year the B's will do anything they have to do to resign him. Rask/Subban as the goaltending duo. Not to mention how young most of the B's core is as well, aging....you say???? of course with the exception of Chara, but it's not like Chara doesn't take care of himself - he's in insane shape and I don't see him slowing down that much over the next 3-4 yrs.

Bruins are team that are built for the playoffs and very physical, so I can see them wearing down more offensively gifted/focused teams like LA or Pittsburgh. Also, even though the B's lost 2 games to the Penguins this year you have to take into consider 1 of those loses came with their backup in net, they were leading Pitt by 0-3 I believe with 5 minutes left and Pitt game back because the Bruins let up in the 3rd and the 2nd game the Bruins lost with the deciding goal being a goal of David Krejci's skate and into his own net...Pitt won both games by 1 goal and it can be argued the B's are playing some of the worst hockey they have ever played but still have a great record. I also don't expect the Bruins to continue to be as terrible as they have been and as snake bitten with scoring.

Last edited by mich25: 03-24-2013 at 01:16 AM.
Old
03-24-2013, 01:15 AM
Money Baer
COYS

vCash: 577
Quote:

I'm not sure they are. They have better depth down the middle than Chicago. And they are more physical than Pitts and Chicago...

Bergeron, Marchand, Seguin, Lucic, Horton(probably resign) is a damn good young forward core.

Chara has plenty left in the tank, and Hamilton is an up-and-coming #1D (Maybe #2 at worst).

Young, Big, Skilled. Not sure if you just personally dislike the Bruins, or seeming something I'm not? (and many, many others.)

Old
03-24-2013, 01:17 AM
HighLifeMan
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tender Rip View Post
The only thing that does for Iginla is give him insurance against sustaining a career ending injury between now and July 1st.

Otherwise it simply takes away his options, as teams would be lining up for him in free agency. If I were Iginla, I tell Feaster where I'd like to go as a rental, play that out in search for the cup, and then after the season decide if I like that situation enough - team, city, organization etc. - that I will bring my family there for the reminder of my career.
It would give Jarome and his family some peace of mind during a very difficult time in their lives, while also helping to further solidify his image in Calgary. If he were to be traded, I can't think of a much better scenario honestly (other than him winning the cup and coming back to Calgary to retire)

Old
03-24-2013, 01:20 AM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by mich25 View Post
Wow are you kidding me. I think most Boston fans would absolutely disagree with you. Most of their core/best players will be together and are signed for the next 4+ years (avg). Seguin, Marchand, Chara, Lucic, Kelly, Hamilton, Peverely, Boychuck, McQuid and Krejci aren't going anywhere soon unless they are traded and even though Bergeron is an UFA after next year the B's will do anything they have to do to resign him. Rask/Subban as the goaltending duo. Not to mention how young most of the B's core is as well, aging....you say???? of course with the exception of Chara, but it's not like Chara doesn't take care of himself - he's in insane shape and I don't see him slowing down that much over the next 3-4 yrs.

Bruins are team that are built for the playoffs and very physical, so I can see them wearing down more offensively gifted/focused teams like LA or Pittsburgh. Also, even though the B's lost 2 games to the Penguins this year you have to take into consider 1 of those loses came with their backup in net, they were leading Pitt by 0-3 I believe with 5 minutes left and Pitt game back because the Bruins let up in the 3rd and the 2nd game the Bruins lost with the deciding goal being a goal of David Krejci's skate and into his own net...Pitt won both games by 1 goal and it can be argued the B's are playing some of the worst hockey they have ever played but still have a great record. I also don't expect the Bruins to continue to be as terrible as they have been and as snake bitten with scoring.
Not a Bs fan but thanks for posting this. When I read the post you are responding to I thought that it didnt sound right and that you had a young enough team to compete for the next few years anyways. I can't see why Iginla wouldn't consider you guys right along with my Kings as right there at the top four teams who has a great shot at the cup for the next few years.

I am not saying that the Kings want to deal for Iggy but I agree with your post entirely.

Old
03-24-2013, 01:21 AM
dannyj10

If Ray doesn't make a serious run for Iggy i might go slap the **** out of him!! I don't care about the chemistry between Duper and Sid. Duper needs to be on the 3rd line and get TK out of here.

Old
03-24-2013, 01:44 AM
mich25

I find it interesting that the Penguins are interested in Iginla. I mean I can understand the possibility of Iginla playing with Malkin/Crosby, but I always thought the Penguins were pretty damn offensively gifted/solid, and if anything just needed to improve their defense, so it kind of surprises me a little to hear they are interested in Iginla. LA/Chicago I can understand, but would Iginla be traded to a west coast team? I guess if the price is right, but what would they offer?

I think it will come down to the Penguins and Bruins. Bruins IMO need Iginla the most (some Bruins fans disagree), but my only concern is that PC might get cheap and think the cost is too high, and the Bruins can do just as well with another player without giving up too much - (I disagree), so it will be interesting. The Bruins were rumored to be very interested in Corey Perry (who would have cost a lot too), so maybe I'm wrong, although Perry is younger than Iginla. I can see Iginla being the Captain of the young Bruins forward core and really mentoring Lucic - who knows maybe turning him into a mini-me version of himself. The Bruins really need some leadership and a proven veteran to mix in to their forward group.

What kind of deal ($/length) do you think Iginla could fetch or be looking for with his next contract?

Last edited by mich25: 03-24-2013 at 02:05 AM.
Old
03-24-2013, 02:48 AM
Master Shake

All I know is, if Iginla isnt traded, he will probably leave as a UFA after the season so Calgary should take the best offer they get

Old
03-24-2013, 03:33 AM
Shellz

Quote:
Originally Posted by mich25 View Post

Kings won the cup by wearing down their opponents. Their forecheck and big bodies is what tired the other teams. Bruins and Los Angeles Kings are built a lot alike. So, I can see him going to either team. Plus, Iginla has played for Sutter before and highly respects him.

Old
03-24-2013, 03:58 AM
yoss

I think the best place for Iginla is in Vancouver. And despite our differences, I'm sure we can all agree with that much at least.

Old
03-24-2013, 04:45 AM
Deen

vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoss View Post
I think the best place for Iginla is in Vancouver. And despite our differences, I'm sure we can all agree with that much at least.
I disagree, Pittsburgh is the place he should be traded if he wants a cup.

Old
03-24-2013, 05:20 AM
Backlund

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Shake View Post
All I know is, if Iginla isnt traded, he will probably leave as a UFA after the season so Calgary should take the best offer they get
Iginla isn't stupid, I highly doubt he would abandon a team he was with for 15 years. If he is leaving Calgary, something or someone is coming here. Do you really think he would risk having the city of Calgary hate him?

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoss View Post
What are you smoking? Iginla in Vancouver is not a good fit at all. And I highly doubt any Flames fans would want to see him win a cup if he went there.

Old
03-24-2013, 05:42 AM
KingKopitar11*
Drew Doughty Eh?

I don't think iggy would go to the east because the west has the best chance to win the cup again IMO.

Old
03-24-2013, 05:54 AM
Holyhell
'Crumblers'

It'd be too good if he got paired up with Crosby or Malkin. And that PP would just kill. I hope he goes there, I really do.

Old
03-24-2013, 06:29 AM
Zbynek

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKopitar11 View Post
I don't think iggy would go to the east because the west has the best chance to win the cup again IMO.

Some fantastic logical reasoning in this post.

Old
03-24-2013, 06:39 AM
LPH
[hello] :)

Quote:

couldn't be more wrong, the Bruins are generally a very young team, with some great up and coming prospects. They have won a cup with that core, and look primed to take another run at it, there is no way Iginla doesn't see the Bruins as a very attractive team to play for.

I still think he goes to Pittsburgh though, they too have won a cup with their main core, and look poised to be a favorite again, also the thought of playing with Sid must be enticing. Although I am sure the Flames will take the best offer regardless on who is offering it (even those evil Canucks ), I still think they ship him East, especially where he can go to a favorite, instead of a more "2nd tier team" (of course you can't ignore that the Kings the reigning champs, but Anaheim and Chicago are the two favs for sure).

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKopitar11 View Post
I don't understand, do you think that LA, Detroit or Vancouver (the three western teams that have supposedly thrown their hats into the ring) have a better chance of winning than the Bruins or Penguins? That's ridiculous.

Closed Thread