HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

A couple of your younger players?

Old
07-30-2006, 01:57 PM
NCSENSFAN

vCash: 500
A couple of your younger players?

What kind of impact do you see Brian Boyle(not this season) and Anze Kopitar having on the Kings in the next copuple seasons. The Kopitar kid seems like a solid first line center and the Boyle kid is really big.

NCSENSFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2006, 03:32 PM
shaayar78

Send a message via AIM to shaayar78
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCSENSFAN View Post
What kind of impact do you see Brian Boyle(not this season) and Anze Kopitar having on the Kings in the next copuple seasons. The Kopitar kid seems like a solid first line center and the Boyle kid is really big.
Boyle is progressing really well in College, he will be in his Senior year this coming season with BC.....Kopitar was the #1 ranked European in the 2005 draft, and is a stud prospect for the first line center position. He MIGHT be ready this year, but definitely should be ready for NHL next year!

shaayar78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2006, 04:47 PM
Osprey

Probably the best answers to your questions were given by Game Misconduct, who was at the GM breakfast yesterday, so I'll just quote him:
Quote:
1. Hextall said that they would prefer Boyle to go pro, that he's definitely AHL ready but probably not NHL ready, and that they liked what they saw when he played D at the prospects game. Good chance he'll play D in the NHL.
3. Kopitar is definitely a future star, but they think he probably will start in Manchester because it will be best for his development. O'Sullivan is more likely to make the team, but there is no guarantee of that.

Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2006, 05:02 PM
kingsknight75

I read that Kopitar porbably wouldn't be able to start the season on the team.
They had him "maybe" by years end

kingsknight75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2006, 10:16 AM
jacketracket*

Quote:
1. Hextall said that they would prefer Boyle to go pro, that he's definitely AHL ready but probably not NHL ready, and that they liked what they saw when he played D at the prospects game. Good chance he'll play D in the NHL.
Boyle is projected to play D?

I thought he was seen as a future top-six forward, ready for the AHL ...

jacketracket* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2006, 02:04 PM
Osprey

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacketracket View Post
Boyle is projected to play D?

I thought he was seen as a future top-six forward, ready for the AHL ...
There are concerns that he may not be top-6 material and may just end up as a good 3rd-liner. His potential as a defenseman is seen as much higher, mostly because of his size, reach and mobility (for a defenseman). If you have a chance to develop a Chara clone or good 3rd-liner/decent 2nd-liner, which do you go for? Obviously, that's an easy decision, especially when you also consider that the Kings' prospect pool is pretty deep at forward, but very shallow on defense. Nothing is set in stone right now, but all of these considerations are leading quite a few people in the Kings and outside to seriously consider a switch to D for him by the time he goes pro.

Last edited by Osprey: 08-07-2006 at 10:20 PM.
Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2006, 09:19 PM
Creeping Death

I will feel much better if Boyle converts to defense. I really don't see him succeeding as a center in the NHL. He has a much better skillset as a defenseman then he has as a center.

Creeping Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2006, 09:21 PM
kingsfan25

I think I remember hearing that Boyle's skating had improved somewhat. If he's not totally immobile, putting him on D would be a worthwhile experiment.

kingsfan25 is offline   Reply With Quote