HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 LMHF Report Game #14

Old
03-24-2013, 12:46 AM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

vCash: 500
2013 LMHF Report Game #14

EDMONTON 0

VS.

ST. LOUIS More than zero
--------------

This report is being done mainly for posterity's sake. I'm not going to waste a lot of effort writing about whatever the hell THAT was. Frankly I've already gotten more enjoyment out of my very late dinner of hot wings and curly fries than that game provided. The best moment of the whole game was when some girl licked a guy's face on kiss cam and then won the BVJ tickets. Seriously. This was 1993 bad...

Those of you who follow these posts know I don't go really negative very often. I try to see the positive even in the worst of games but this was really hard to take. Then I'm on my ride home hearing the media in this town making more excuses for this hockey team and also claiming that the players aren't happy that the fans booed them tonight. I'm not sure I buy that as I only heard Horcoff's words and I know how the media operates when the team plays a stinker...but simply claiming the Blues were good and that fans shouldn't have booed that abomination of a "hockey game" is a joke. To think that I for some reason should cheer for a team that has been as bad as this one for so long, has absolutely STUNK at home since the beginning of last season, and put forth absolutely no effort after what qualifies as a three week vacation in terms of an NHL scheduling break...You've got to be completely insane. It is bad enough that this horrible homestand we just choked away is considered "playing better". We've really been that horrible. Amazing.

First off, the Blues played a solid defensive game and that was it. The Oilers have beaten plenty of teams that have played solid defensive games. The other squad pushing back a little against your attack is no reason to throw in the towel and play like complete boobs. I saw more basic passes missed tonight than I've seen in a long time. I haven't seen that many players skate away from finishing their check in forever either. The goals the Blues scored were pretty bloody weak and the result of bad efforts by the Oilers, rather than strong ones by St. Louis. You can't just give away games like that and expect respect.

The Oilers had precisely one line going for any significant part of the game. The Hall-Horcoff-Hemsky line generated chances in the first and second periods. Hall is still only maybe 75% but was certainly better. Horcoff was just okay and Hemsky made some things happen. By the third things had degenerated to the point where even these guys weren't effective and Horcoff was as bad as I've seen him in a long time. Hall kept falling down, couldn't beat anyone and couldn't even seem to get his shot away. Something's up there.

Pretty much everyone else was utterly terrible for almost 60. Let us highlight some of the worst offenders:

Mike Brown has already stopped hitting people. He also made horrible plays with the puck, skated himself into corners several times and it was actually embarrassing to think that guy we watched tonight was on an NHL roster.

Ryan Smyth spent the whole game reaching his stick at people while not skating.

Eric Belanger is an embarrassment to the jersey and should never see Oilers ice again. It is bad enough that he's fallen off as far as he has since we've acquired him, but tonight he peeled away from every check, made no offensive effort and basically just quit on each shift at the first sign of adversity. It made me sick.

Ryan Jones still thinks he's a defenceman in the offensive zone.

Ryan Whitney should hang em up to preserve his moderate legacy. This is not the guy we watched before and it never will be again. He was horrendous tonight. We really should have moved him by now. It sucks what has happened to him but we can't will him to be better.

Why won't Nick Schultz hit anyone or make a decent pass?

Watching tonight hurt my brain. Listening to the commentary after the game made me want to damage it.

How long are people going to continue making excuses for this hockey team? After games like tonight, this team should hear it from everyone, fans, media, and themselves. They should expect it, accept it and take responsibility. The short season opportunity these guys are trying so hard to throw away isn't going to come around again for a long time. Having a great home schedule to close the season where you're constantly playing the teams you need to edge out to get into the playoffs is an opportunity you don't see often either.

That's about all I can muster for now. If you feel like ranting go ahead and do it here. If you feel like defending this hockey team, get your eyes checked and your head examined. The excuses are so old at this point.

LoudmouthHemskyfan#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 12:56 AM
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade

vCash: 177
yeah, just not a fun game to watch

AlowlyOilersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
crack2464

All I have to say is that that game went exactly how I thought it would.

crack2464 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Joey Moss

vCash: 226
Don't agree with the Brown and Whitney comments.. didn't think either were as bad as you say, especially Brown.

Joey Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 01:02 AM
Gret99zky
Worst Thread Ever

vCash: 6964
Nothing changes until people stop going to the games or Hall asks for a trade outta town.

I enjoy your reports and read every one of them, but until fans stop attending the games and selling out the building then Katz's plan is working just fine for him and his cronies.

It may be time to boycott a couple for a NWO.

JMO.

Gret99zky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 01:08 AM
Lacaar

This sport is in crisis.. **** was that boring.... like i'm probably in the top 10% of diehard fandom.. god i post here. fan.. and I can't even watch this horse ****.

It's not just this team.. the game has gone to ****.

This game is everything wrong with the sport. Halak got a shut out.. didn't even have to make a nice save.

god every one of the other 30 goalies in the league could have shut us out tonight.

Lacaar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 01:09 AM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

Quote:
Originally Posted by crack2464 View Post
All I have to say is that that game went exactly how I thought it would.
/end thread

dustrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 01:14 AM
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacaar View Post
This sport is in crisis.. **** was that boring.... like i'm probably in the top 10% of diehard fandom.. god i post here. fan.. and I can't even watch this horse ****.

This game is everything wrong with the sport. Halak got a shut out.. didn't even have to make a nice save.

god every one of the other 30 goalies in the league could have shut us out tonight.
I don't think every game today was like this one.

Old
03-24-2013, 01:16 AM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacaar View Post

I don't know - I love watching teams like STL/BOS/LAK - the brand of forechecking, hard defense, and quick breakouts is something the Oilers have never had. It's something I envy.

The Perfect Human* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 01:19 AM
Section337
HFBoards Sponsor

Didn't even get a replay of the Perron dive, but the Oil did give us 60 minutes of putrid.

The best guy on the ice tonight wearing an Oilers' jersey was the fellow who won the shooting contest in the second intermission.

Section337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 01:20 AM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

One thing I missed...the Oilers either went slowly up the right side, chipped it to no one or passed directly to the Blues on the breakout all night...what are these guys working on in practice?

Old
Diamondillium
DO YOU WANT ANTS!?

vCash: 50
Today, I thought "Hmmm, Oilers game or video games?". Then thought "**** it, video games"

I made the correct choice.

Diamondillium is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Sheikyerbouti

Eberle's worst game as an oiler...

He is allergic to the the midde of the ice right now and. That stint in the AHL seemed to set the kids back a bit.

Sheikyerbouti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 01:21 AM
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamondillium View Post
Today, I thought "Hmmm, Oilers game or video games?". Then thought "**** it, video games"

What did you play?

Old
03-24-2013, 01:24 AM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamondillium View Post

Well played sir.

Old
03-24-2013, 01:26 AM
Qrispy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheikyerbouti View Post
Eberle's worst game as an oiler...

He is allergic to the the midde of the ice right now and. That stint in the AHL seemed to set the kids back a bit.
I don't believe this. Eberle has played more NHL games than AHL games. If he was really set back this far because of a few AHL games then maybe he's not as good as we thought.

Qrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 01:29 AM
Tree444

Any thoughts on Eberle's decline, LMHF? The 'magic' seems to be gone, his interest and compete level are just zero...

Tree444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 01:38 AM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tree444 View Post
Any thoughts on Eberle's decline, LMHF? The 'magic' seems to be gone, his interest and compete level are just zero...
I think he's injured and playing out the season.

I don't like the way we handle injured players one bit.

Old
03-24-2013, 01:41 AM
Sheikyerbouti

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakuBOT View Post
I don't believe this. Eberle has played more NHL games than AHL games. If he was really set back this far because of a few AHL games then maybe he's not as good as we thought.
Ya, he's had 25+ games to adjust back as well. Maybe it's just qualcomp

I don't know, but they all seem to be playing really cute with the puck and I don't remember thinking that about Hall before. Eberle and Nuge's shots seem to have taken steps back. Eberle especially just can't seem to find the ice to get setup.

I'd also like to hear LMHF's take. If the kids were producing more goals this team would look good. They have done well possession wise but that's about it, Really bad SH%

Old
03-24-2013, 01:43 AM
Sheikyerbouti

Interesting.. I only get to watch the games on TV. He looks mobile, wrist or something?

I would have thought that was RNH's problem

Old
03-24-2013, 01:43 AM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
Ya, he's had 25+ games to adjust back as well. Maybe it's just qualcomp

I don't know, but they all seem to be playing really cute with the puck and I don't remember thinking that about Hall before. Eberle and Nuge's shots seem to have taken steps back. Eberle especially just can't seem to find the ice to get setup.

I'd also like to hear LMHF's take. If the kids were producing more goals this team would look good. They have done well possession wise but that's about it, Really bad SH%
If anything I'd say the AHL stint tired them out and they're now at a disadvantage compared to the guys who had more of a break/time to work out/etc. Honestly not sure though. I don't see too many bad habits but it is hard to pinpoint. What seems to be missing are the multi-point efforts.

Old
03-24-2013, 01:45 AM
MeestaDeteta

vCash: 139
I'm just curious if/when this putrid excuse for hockey is going to start keeping fans away from the rink. As long as games continue to sell out, nothing will change.

MeestaDeteta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 01:47 AM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
Interesting.. I only get to watch the games on TV. He looks mobile, wrist or something?

I would have thought that was RNH's problem
Supposedly wrist and lower body or something. Not good.

Old
03-24-2013, 01:47 AM
Diamondillium
DO YOU WANT ANTS!?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlowlyOilersfan View Post
What did you play?
A bit of NHL 13 and a bit of Mass Effect.

Very enjoyable night for this fan.

Diamondillium is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 02:17 AM
T-Funk

vCash: 1020
That's funny, I said to my wife "Wow it's taken less than 10 games, but Mike Brown is already avoiding hitting and skating"
Poor guy could have been on a powerhouse like Toronto

****** game was ******.

I'm dumping my share of season tickets for at least this year.

T-Funk is offline   Reply With Quote