HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Oilers lose 3-0 ...Game Over

Old
03-24-2013, 01:08 AM
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade

vCash: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaPolice View Post
What's your stance on the issue? Why don't you come out and make your voice heard, instead of throwing cheap shots.
That he peaked at the twilight of his career and then retired.

That's all I said.

AlowlyOilersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 01:11 AM
raab
Where's the Hart?

vCash: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky_83 View Post
Not at all, but it makes his performances in those playoff series "out of character" and elite.

He performed at an elite level - a level he wasn't performing at for a long time under the same system.

They got elite-level goaltending from a non-elite goaltender - giving us hope for someone like Dubnyk.

Meanwhile, you have teams like CHI/PIT that were so deep top-to-bottom at F and D that they won in spite of their goaltenders (<0.910 save percentage).

Maybe we can be that team
MAF a bad goalie If you looked at the year before that he had a .933 SV% and a 1.96 GAA in the playoffs. Make no mistake about it he was a big reason why they won in 09 despite his sv%.

raab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 01:11 AM
KarmaPolice
Masterdebater

vCash: 777
Send a message via MSN to KarmaPolice
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlowlyOilersfan View Post
That he peaked at the twilight of his career and then retired.

That's all I said.
That's not all you said, but okay. I have bigger fish to fry.

KarmaPolice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 01:13 AM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

vCash: 500
Quote:
That's not all you said, but okay. I have bigger fish to fry.
I don't know what he said that was so bad?

The Perfect Human* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 01:15 AM
Sheikyerbouti

Marc Bergevin hadn't been a GM but he had a good resume. Staples I believe did a profile on him the last time Tamby's contract was up for renewal. He had a good reputation from player development in Chicago and coupled with his ability to speak French he was a smart hire.

I would love to get smarts and experience in a GM, but I'll take smarts over experience and Botteril is smart. He also has a good resume and a background in player development, coupled with the fact he is from edmonton and understands the market, this would make him an excellent hire.

As baseball has shown, you don't need to have any playing or executive experience to effectively manage a roster.. Botteril, as green as he is, would be a huge upgrade - even keeping our current scouts and capologist who have been at least average.

We have two high school educated men, one of which doesn't talk very well, and the other is known for throwing tantrums. Our management's historical record is beyond abysmal, it's horrible. Every legitimate candidate is a step up. Both Lowe and Tamby would be absolute assets to a guy like Botteril, but neither is remotely prepared to hold the position they do.

Sadly I think we'll just see Tamby go and MacT replace him, keeping Lowe in charge, which is hilarious seeing as this GM gig is sort of a fallback for MacT.

Sheikyerbouti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 01:20 AM
Soundwave

I'm scared to death of hiring a green GM, I won't lie. It just seems like something that would completely blow up in our faces.

We don't need a saviour. Just gimme someone half decent. The talent is already here, it shouldn't take more than dummy to fill in the gaps, especially if there's another top 10 pick coming (that should be either a big center, a big d-man, or Nicushkin, a giant winger, added to the mix).

Gimme Burke + Ruff. Proven track records, and despite Burke's bluster, he's not that out there as a GM. This team probably needs more piss and vinegar at the top anyway, the current team IMO is taking on Tambellini's wishy washy persona.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 01:22 AM
KarmaPolice
Masterdebater

Quote:
I don't know what he said that was so bad?
Just a mischaracterization of myself. I'll give the benefit of the doubt that it was something (meant to be) innocuous.

Old
03-24-2013, 01:23 AM
JaredCowenFan
PS4: SenzFan2

Weeeeeellllllllll,....... ****.

JaredCowenFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 01:23 AM
KarmaPolice
Masterdebater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
I'm scared to death of hiring a green GM, I won't lie. It just seems like something that would completely blow up in our faces.

We don't need a saviour. Just gimme someone half decent. The talent is already here, it shouldn't take more than dummy to fill in the gaps, especially if there's another top 10 pick coming (that should be either a big center, a big d-man, or Nicushkin, a giant winger, added to the mix).
Tambo's done nothing but bring in plumbers, vets that don't fit, and collect picks. I have no faith in him at this point, myself.

Old
03-24-2013, 01:25 AM
Soundwave

Quote:
Tambo's done nothing but bring in plumbers, vets that don't fit, and collect picks. I have no faith in him at this point, myself.
Oh no doubt. I want him gone. I'd just be worried about hiring another GM with no real experience in the hot seat. We just have no luck with that.

Old
03-24-2013, 01:26 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
Opening it up is the only way that the Oilers can win any game let alone, a game against St. Louis. If they lose, so be it but at least they will go down running and gunning so to speak. It's why they were successful against the Hawks and played well against the Wings for 2 periods.

The Oilers are simply not good enough to play at the other teams' pace and when they try chip and chase against a much bigger and stronger opponent, they might as well fold the tent and go home by the end of the 1st.

Until Tambellini adds some balance to the roster to the point that they can play multiple styles and succeed, they absolutely must play the only style that caters to the strength which is an up tempo, aggressive style. Trying to play tight checking, sit back and try to hope for a turnover hockey against a team like St. Louis is playing into their hands. They can simply just impose their will and play in the Oilers zone all night.
They might as well play aggressive, loosen the reigns and let the skilled guys make skilled plays and if they have some odd man breaks the other way, so be it. Try to dictate at their pace. The problem is that the Oilers play as if they're scared to make a mistake and that's a recipe for disaster with a roster like this.
The Hawks since the SC win have mostly been an undisciplined team that WE manage to school because with speed we CAN beat them at a run and gun game and have.

Conversely the Blues are an excellently coached club that will murder you on the counter ANY time we try to open it up against them. They know how to play us. Chicago for whatever reason doesn't care enough to play a disciplined game against us.

The mistake many people make here is in thinking that a team with 8-9 players 23 or under is dictating terms. That just isn't how it works in the top league in hockey.

Again, as I keep stating, the Oilers DID try to open it up in the last 25mins and as soon as they did the Blues were getting multiple quality chances and the game then completely got away.

If you think the answer is going from 1-0 to 3-0 thats exactly what happened tonight.

I'll call it too. Hawks are going nowhere. But the Blues and Ducks are teams to watch this year.

Replacement is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 01:26 AM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Quote:
Oh no doubt. I want him gone. I'd just be worried about hiring another GM with no real experience in the hot seat. We just have no luck with that.
I actually wouldn't mind signing a new, young GM. Someone with a different outlook to the game than the old-school one employed by guys like Burke/Tambo/Lowe.

That new guy out in CBJ who likes advanced stats is an interesting-sounding guy - I like Gillis' approach to building a team around a model.

Guys with an outlook like that are brilliant.

The Perfect Human* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 01:29 AM
KarmaPolice
Masterdebater

Quote:
Agreed, just like bringing in a rookie coach with no NHL resume for this incredibly young team was a recipe for disaster. And wouldn't you know it; 4 of the 5 'big' young guns--I'm including Justin--are arguably under-performing a great deal. Can it be put solely on him? Probably not. But was it really the best idea to begin with? Have to think there were better options out there with a decent NHL track record and that have proven they can help develop young talent. It was a huge risk--why was it deemed necessary? I just can't figure out what the hell Tambo's really trying to do here.

Old
03-24-2013, 01:32 AM
Soundwave

Quote:
I actually wouldn't mind signing a new, young GM. Someone with a different outlook to the game than the old-school one employed by guys like Burke/Tambo/Lowe.

That new guy out in CBJ who likes advanced stats is an interesting-sounding guy - I like Gillis' approach to building a team around a model.

Guys with an outlook like that are brilliant.
It just reeks of a situation we would **** up though quite frankly.

We need as dummy proof of a hire as possible.

It'd be great if we were genius' and snatched up the next great hockey mind GM, but lets face it, as an organization right now from a front office POV we're the equivalent of the guy who sometimes forgets to wear pants to work.

Old
03-24-2013, 01:33 AM
Sheikyerbouti

Quote:

We don't need a saviour. Just gimme someone half decent. The talent is already here, it shouldn't take more than dummy to fill in the gaps, especially if there's another top 10 pick coming.
I honestly think the blog community by vote would do a lot better than our management. All we need is someone who is smart and pragmatic to make consistent decisions. I think Olcyk has done well since he's been here and Stu has been above average ( you can't blame him when the GM picks need over BPA).

The thing is the talent is too homogeneous and has been for along time. Remember when Quinn was playing JFJ on the top line to balance the roster. This year Krueger is doing the same thing, the team isn't going to be successful until it has balance in age, skill, size and experience.

Lowe, most of all, has to have this laid at his feet because he has purposely gone with a "boys on the bus" rebuild, which we are now seeing is actually hurting the development of the players. The bar has just been set so low.

Old
03-24-2013, 01:37 AM
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade

So, say we get rid of Lowe and Tambellini, who do we replace them with?

Old
03-24-2013, 01:37 AM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Am I reading these tweets correctly? Was Hall actually mad at the fans for booing his pathetic team?

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 01:38 AM
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlowlyOilersfan View Post
So, say we get rid of Lowe and Tambellini, who do we replace them with?
Burke - Ruff.

Both will probably come highly motivated too and there's no shortage of talent here.

Sometimes you can over think these things, just get someone proven, that's all I want.

Stop taking risks on unproven people (Tambellini, Krueger, bleh).

Old
03-24-2013, 01:40 AM
KarmaPolice
Masterdebater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
Am I reading these tweets correctly? Was Hall actually mad at the fans for booing his pathetic team?
Wasn't it Horcoff? That's what I heard, but it's second-hand info.
Maybe Hall was too, but I doubt he said anything too virulent.

Old
03-24-2013, 01:43 AM
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
Didn't seem like that from actually listening to the interview.

Old
03-24-2013, 01:44 AM
Soundwave

I'm pretty sure it was Horcoff.

Old
03-24-2013, 01:44 AM
dnicks17

Look at Bergevin, Cheveldayoff and to a lesser extent Yzerman.

Less experience doesn't mean bad GM.

Get rid of Lowe and Tambo. Bring in an up and comer who isn't completely green behind the ears. MacT is a smart guy who knows hockey. Keep him around as the assistant GM.

Most important thing though is to turf Krueger and jump on Jon Cooper before it's too late. He's a guy you take a risk on.

dnicks17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 01:45 AM
Sheikyerbouti

Quote:
Burke - Ruff.

Both will probably come highly motivated too and there's no shortage of talent here.

Sometimes you can over think these things, just get someone proven, that's all I want.

Stop taking risks on unproven people (Tambellini, Krueger, bleh).
I'd gladly take that. I'd even take Dudley and Ruff

Old
03-24-2013, 01:46 AM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Wasn't it Horcoff? That's what I heard, but it's second-hand info.
Maybe Hall was too, but I doubt he said anything too virulent.
Regardless, the Oilers are in no position to critique their fans at this stage of the so-called re-build. Is there a team in the NHL with a worse home ice record than the Oilers? Florida? Maybe?

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 01:47 AM
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
Look at Bergevin, Cheveldayoff and to a lesser extent Yzerman.

Less experience doesn't mean bad GM.

Get rid of Lowe and Tambo. Bring in an up and comer who isn't completely green behind the ears. MacT is a smart guy who knows hockey. Keep him around as the assistant GM.

Most important thing though is to turf Krueger and jump on Jon Cooper before it's too late. He's a guy you take a risk on.
I honestly think Yzerman is a giant fraud of a GM in Tampa Bay. He's done nothing to warrant the praise he gets, he's riding his likable image from his playing days. He's gift wrapped Luongo and still doesn't bite even though that trade would move them into a playoff berth.

We can't afford to take any risks at the management or coaching levels IMO.

Tambellini and Krueger *were* our "lets be cute and hire someone no one expects" cards. We've played those.