HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

New Arena deal agreed to by city and Katz group:mod warning #616

Closed Thread

Old
03-22-2013, 10:32 PM
DoyleG
Mr. Reality

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by molsonmuscle360 View Post
The fact that Alberta is losing money has nothing to do with cities wanting things that make them more akin to other cities like them in North America. What it has to do with is a total mismanagement of our natural resources. They let everything go off to private companies and get crappy royalties in return. Why do you think the oil companies aren't all over Saskatchewan right now? Because the government and the local tribes want a lot more of the pie then Alberta is getting.
You think too much about the oilsands in this regard. The biggest resource revenue for gov't coffers was, and still is, natural gas. It was those revenues that allowed Klein to balance the books a bit earlier than expected and its decline in value plays a key role in the deficit issues of today.

Changing the issues of oilsands revenues isn't gonna help matters until the natural gas glut is cleared out.

Old
03-23-2013, 10:02 AM
Gord
MoneyGuy is smarter

vCash: 1255
Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
Replacement, you don't go to games any more. Why do you care so much about a ticket tax you will not be paying?
not just oilers games but for any concert. you see how high the service charges are already?
that is one of the reasons i now very seldom go to any game or concert.
it will be even more disgusting going forward with even more extra ticket taxes coming down the pipe.

Old
03-23-2013, 11:35 AM
McRib
2nd Rate Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gord View Post
not just oilers games but for any concert. you see how high the service charges are already?
it will be even more disgusting going forward with even more extra ticket taxes coming down the pipe.
That's how arenas are built these days. Here in Saskatchewan, we're prepared to pay a bigger ticket tax for a new football stadium. If that wasn't an option, the new stadium would never get built. It sucks, but it's a way of getting those who use the arena more to foot more of the bill.

Old
03-24-2013, 02:58 AM
DoyleG
Mr. Reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gord View Post
You don't go to events at Commonwealth or Telus Field either?

Old
03-24-2013, 03:14 AM
Real_Estate-Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoyleG View Post

Telus Field has events? Seriously - never heard of one!

Commonwealth has less than 20 dates booked every year - the majority are football games.

How much ticket tax are we talking about from those locations?

Old
03-24-2013, 04:00 AM
OilerNut*

Can we add a clause that the Oilers must make the playoffs before they release the funds to Katz for the arena?

Old
03-24-2013, 08:33 AM
Gord
MoneyGuy is smarter

vCash: 1255
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoyleG View Post
or the shaw conference centre. i hate buying a ticket for say $50 and having another $10-$15 of taxes and surcharges added for no reason whatsoever. adding yet another one which is only a Katz "greed tax" does bother me.
if that means I don't go to very many events in those places, I can live with that.

Old
03-24-2013, 11:17 AM
Gone
Fire KLowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerNut View Post
Can we add a clause that the Oilers must make the playoffs before they release the funds to Katz for the arena?
Exactly. All Katz's Oilers know how to do is take. Take from your season ticket holders by having the some of the highest ticket prices. Take from the city by holding them hostage. Take from the province (oh wait, there's been some pushback there).

I wouldn't doubt this deal doesn't get done in the end. For Mandel to throw in another $100 million, from one of the most indebted cities in North America, is ludicrous.

Old
03-24-2013, 11:25 AM
armandh01

It is scary that such a poorly run organization is getting a freebie.

Old
03-24-2013, 11:46 AM
Gret99zky
Worst Thread Ever

vCash: 6964
The new arena is our only hope of seeing a playoff hockey. No way Katz takes the chance of a playoff run in Rexall because the commies and pinkoes will march on Kingsway screaming "The old barn is just fine!"

Old
03-24-2013, 11:55 AM
Beerfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gret99zky View Post
The new arena is our only hope of seeing a playoff hockey. No way Katz takes the chance of a playoff run in Rexall because the commies and pinkoes will march on Kingsway screaming "The old barn is just fine!"
LOL, Yeah, it's the arena that is holding this team back and a building that is not even 40 years old is an old barn. I think some of the people round these parts are not aware of actual real world lifecycles of large buildings.

Old
03-24-2013, 12:02 PM
Gret99zky
Worst Thread Ever

Old
03-24-2013, 12:04 PM
Gret99zky
Worst Thread Ever

I don't know why this city switched to dvds and blurays. VHS tapes worked just fine.

Old
03-24-2013, 01:24 PM
nullterm

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerNut View Post
Are you trying to get Lowe & Tambo fired?

Old
03-28-2013, 05:18 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

vCash: 81
Please remember to talk about the post rather than the poster. If you are unable to do so, you will be voted off the island.

03-28-2013, 05:23 PM
Slicknitty
"80,000 peoples"

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gret99zky View Post
I don't know why this city switched to dvds and blurays. VHS tapes worked just fine.
I lold

Old
03-28-2013, 05:23 PM
OilerNut*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
Please remember to talk about the post rather than the poster. If you are unable to do so, you will be voted off the island.
Given the Oilers play this season that might not be much punishment.

Old
03-28-2013, 08:12 PM
MrZour

I think a lot of this back door funding is going to come in the form of giant advertising dollars from the government via a crown corp. I'll bet ATB is going to pay top dollar for a massive advertisement somewhere in the arena.

Old
03-28-2013, 08:40 PM
taunting canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
LOL, Yeah, it's the arena that is holding this team back and a building that is not even 40 years old is an old barn. I think some of the people round these parts are not aware of actual real world lifecycles of large buildings.
When it comes to the real world of north american sports venues, a building near 40 years old is in fact an "old barn". This is the world where only two NHL buildings (one of them soon to be vacated, the other in the middle of Manhattan) are older than Rexall. In fact, only 5 NHL buildings are over 20 years old. The situation is roughly the same for NBA arenas. The larger, outdoor venues of the NFL and MLB tend to be somewhat older, but even there, only 6 MLB stadiums are older than Rexall.

Old
04-10-2013, 06:30 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Diotte is on a roll today. Rantin' and ravin' like crazy.

Old
04-10-2013, 06:33 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

This is what has Diotte so riled up today.

Quote:
CTV Edmonton ‏@ctvedmonton 1m
Breaking - Councillors vote 7-5 to use MSI funding as leverage to borrow $45 million over 20 years for #yegarena. #yeg #yegcc

Old
04-10-2013, 06:35 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Mandel is apparently sounding flustered and frustrated despite the motion passing. Says that people don't come to a city for the suburbs and "We're trying to build a 'city.'"

Iveson, Diotte, Caterina, Henderson and Sloan voted against the motion.

Old
04-10-2013, 06:36 PM
MoneyGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
Diotte is on a roll today. Rantin' and ravin' like crazy.
Please don't pay any attention to that moron says. It just raises my blood pressure. I don't hate politicians, but I've made an exception in his case.

I want him to run for mayor...so he's turfed in the October election.

In other news, I played a game of dodge the potholes in Edmonton today. The city had better find money to fix those holes in the roads, beside funding an arena. Seriously, there is a one on 75th Street would have destroyed my car. I'll have to really pay attention when motorcycle season starts lest my Gold Wing is swallowed up.

Old
04-10-2013, 06:39 PM
Del Preston
Pass to Purcell

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
Seriously, there is a one on 75th Street would have destroyed my car.
Sadly I think I know which one you are talking about. 75th street heading south? My car almost got devoured by the thing on Friday night because I couldn't see it.

Old
04-10-2013, 06:39 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
Please don't pay any attention to that moron says. It just raises my blood pressure. I don't hate politicians, but I've made an exception in his case.

I want him to run for mayor...so he's turfed in the October election.

In other news, I played a game of dodge the potholes in Edmonton today. The city had better find money to fix those holes in the roads, beside funding an arena. Seriously, there is a one on 75th Street would have destroyed my car. I'll have to really pay attention when motorcycle season starts lest my Gold Wing is swallowed up.
If nothing else watching Diotte try to run for Mayor and fail would be entertaining. He's convinced that the vast majority of the city stands behind him.

Closed Thread