HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Struggling versus the Sabres.. Habs lose 2-1.

Old
03-24-2013, 01:26 AM
Talks to Goalposts

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prallchengher View Post
We don't give up many chances to the opponent, but the ones they do get are so "Grade A" and juicy that they pot them easily.

Pittsburgh is just as flawed as we are; their defense is absolute **** and could cost them the Cup despite having Crosby and Malkin. Boston, on the other hand, is definitely not as Swiss cheese-like as either Pittsburgh or us.

It's not a "happy turn of events", since I was formerly a Caps fan who felt the burn of losing to a supposedly "inferior" team that wasn't that inferior and exploited the weaknesses(the "Achilles heel") people ignored in the "superior" team.
Boston has its own major weakness in a perceptually incompetent power play and a 3rd line that is struggling so I wouldn't sing their praises in comparison to Pit and MTL over much. Currently all 3 are effectively at par with each other.

I'd agree on the chances given up to a degree. But that's really the PK rather more than 5 on 5. Which does need to be addressed.

The only weakness Washington exposed was that they could be beaten by 3 games of a goalie playing out of his skull. Which no team can beat. the over-reaction to said loss is what killed them. If the Habs exposed a weakness that year it was how MAF is a joke of a starting goaltender for a contending team.

Talks to Goalposts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 01:28 AM
Madam Kadri
Fight, Troll, Score

Quote:
Originally Posted by capebretoncanadien View Post
What a terrible post. Pittsburgh's D is pretty solid actually. As is 'ours'.
Our system is excellent. Our D, when they actually have to play defense, is bad. That's why the Islanders and guys like Vanek shred us.

And Pittsburgh, their games against the Flyers is enough evidence to show how shaky and exploitable that defese can be.

Madam Kadri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 01:49 AM
MsChanandlerBong
The Chan-Chan Man

I'm honestly shocked that the Montreal media has never heard anything about an argument being started in the Habs dressing room concerning Eller. This isn't a sudden bash Eller post, I've been saying this for the past two seasons: He's been playing great the past few weeks (with the clear exception tonight), but I know for certain that if I was placed on his line I'd ask to coach to be sent to Hamilton. I don't know if its his lack of hockey sense or an inner-channeling of Lemieux, but his hogging is getting ridiculous. /rant

Edit: DD, would you please shoot the darn puck already...you had about 5 great one-timer opportunities in the first pp and you passed everyone instead.

MsChanandlerBong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 01:55 AM
kassian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiro View Post
I'm honestly shocked that the Montreal media has never heard anything about an argument being started in the Habs dressing room concerning Eller. This isn't a sudden bash Eller post, I've been saying this for the past two seasons: He's been playing great the past few weeks (with the clear exception tonight), but I know for certain that if I was placed on his line I'd ask to coach to be sent to Hamilton. I don't know if its his lack of hockey sense or an inner-channeling of Lemieux, but his hogging is getting ridiculous. /rant

Edit: DD, would you please shoot the darn puck already...you had about 5 great one-timer opportunities in the first pp and you passed everyone instead.
HAHAHA! Wow!

One bad game and it grants such a reaction! Eller has been the best player on the Habs for multiple games this season. A few times over the past few weeks (can't remember which exactly, but if you DID watch the game you could recall at least a couple where he stood out). And it's not like the guy has bad numbers either. Just two stupid turnovers tonight...

kassian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 02:15 AM
Aceekay

Quote:

This is an eller bash post. Did he keep possession of the puck for too long tonight? Yes, but that doesn't make him a puck hog, I'm sure his logic was that he was trying to start a passing play but couldn't find a player, he should've put the puck on net in hindsight. Eller has fantastic puck control its why he's got such good potential, this was the first time I've seen him struggle controlling the puck.

It's actually quite frustrating, reading posters like you who honestly believe he's a selfish/puck hog/ tunnel vision player. Just because he doesn't handle the puck like a grenade doesn't mean he has any of those traits.

You're shocked that there hasn't been any controversy over eller being a cancer for the lockeroom? or are you hoping that some controversial story gets leaked and that will give people an excuse to beg for him to be traded? Good luck with that, eller is one of the nicest, most amiable players on the team, I doubt there will ever a controversial story about how much of a jerk eller is. As far as I know everyone seems to enjoy eller, he's a shy person who doesn't run his mouth when things aren't going his way.

This isn't a bash post? 'if I was placed on his line I would ask to be sent down to Hamilton' if this doesnt scream I hate eller, I don't know what will.

Aceekay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 02:24 AM
MsChanandlerBong
The Chan-Chan Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by kassian View Post
HAHAHA! Wow!

One bad game and it grants such a reaction! Eller has been the best player on the Habs for multiple games this season. A few times over the past few weeks (can't remember which exactly, but if you DID watch the game you could recall at least a couple where he stood out). And it's not like the guy has bad numbers either. Just two stupid turnovers tonight...
Clearly you didn't read my post at all because I specifically stated this wasn't a SUDDEN bash, if you truly do not believe Eller has hogging tendencies then you clearly aren't watching the games. I also stated that he has been playing great the last few weeks, so read posts before you "try" and own someone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceekay View Post
This is an eller bash post. Did he keep possession of the puck for too long tonight? Yes, but that doesn't make him a puck hog, I'm sure his logic was that he was trying to start a passing play but couldn't find a player, he should've put the puck on net in hindsight. Eller has fantastic puck control its why he's got such good potential, this was the first time I've seen him struggle controlling the puck.

It's actually quite frustrating, reading posters like you who honestly believe he's a selfish/puck hog/ tunnel vision player. Just because he doesn't handle the puck like a grenade doesn't mean he has any of those traits.

You're shocked that there hasn't been any controversy over eller being a cancer for the lockeroom? or are you hoping that some controversial story gets leaked and that will give people an excuse to beg for him to be traded? Good luck with that, eller is one of the nicest, most amiable players on the team, I doubt there will ever a controversial story about how much of a jerk eller is. As far as I know everyone seems to enjoy eller, he's a shy person who doesn't run his mouth when things aren't going his way.

This isn't a bash post? 'if I was placed on his line I would ask to be sent down to Hamilton' if this doesnt scream I hate eller, I don't know what will.
Posters like me? Every single game Eller hogs the puck. If it's a two on one, you can guarantee no matter what he is shooting (a polar opposite of DD, essentially). Did I ever say I wasn't a fan or that he should be traded? Not once. I just want him to contribute more is a playmaking sense is all, the hogging really drives me crazy. Bringing up things like "he's a genuinely nice person" is completely unrelated, I never said he was a bad guy, I am just genuinely shocked there has never been some sort of spat started in the dressing room over his lack of passing.

MsChanandlerBong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 02:41 AM
Guess

This was a great game, if only because it reminded us habs fans how we made Pittsburgh and Washington feel during that magical run

Guess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 03:23 AM
Aceekay

Quote:
Clearly you didn't read my post at all because I specifically stated this wasn't a SUDDEN bash, if you truly do not believe Eller has hogging tendencies then you clearly aren't watching the games. I also stated that he has been playing great the last few weeks, so read posts before you "try" and own someone.

Posters like me? Every single game Eller hogs the puck. If it's a two on one, you can guarantee no matter what he is shooting (a polar opposite of DD, essentially). Did I ever say I wasn't a fan or that he should be traded? Not once. I just want him to contribute more is a playmaking sense is all, the hogging really drives me crazy. Bringing up things like "he's a genuinely nice person" is completely unrelated, I never said he was a bad guy, I am just genuinely shocked there has never been some sort of spat started in the dressing room over his lack of passing.
Eller has 12 assists so obviously he isn't as selfish as your making him out to be. Look out everyone one of our players is carrying and stickhandling the puck what a jerk, this is what I am reading right. I don't think you understand what kind of a player he is. Eller was drafted as a playmaker and the only thing he has changed since he was drafted was he became a well rounded two way player, but just because he doesn't pass the two seconds after he gets it that makes him selfish? Come on.

You're the one who brought of his attitude when you expected some controversial story about a fight in the locker room. Well I'm sorry to disappoint you, but don't hold your breath because I'm certain his teammates like him and they aren't going to throw him under the bus because his style of hockey isn't liked by some poster on hfboards.

What a selfish player

Old
03-24-2013, 03:50 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
Boston probably losing tonight, squandered opportunity to widen the gap.
Twice this week. Should have put the knife in, and did not. Ah, I hope Habs learn to do this next year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sampollock View Post
Have to agree. We are going to die with DD
The PO this year will show what he has. Could have signed him after that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider917 View Post
when is prust returning? hasnt it been 10-14 days already?
I already said that none of our injured would be back this week. We have the luxury of resting guys longer, and we need to, for the PO. It's a gamble, and we lost the gamble this week. We might lose 4th because of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lshap View Post
Yes, the refs blew at least two calls. But the refs didn't stop us from scoring goals, Miller did. I'm not happy about the officiating, but we hear this moaning every night from one fan base after another. We got beat by a hot goalie. Move on...
I hear this all the time. Better solve hot goalies, or you ain't going to the finals. It's time guys here adjusted to reality: We are going to the PO, and in the PO, 'the goalie was hot' is not an excuse.

Quote:

I have said since this summer that DD had to score goals this year to stay on the team. Guess I was wrong, as we just signed him for 4 years. I love DD, but I absolutely hate centres that can't score goals. Eller is next on my list for the same problem.

Carter would look damn good right now on line 1. Oh well, PG didn't see the problem, I guess.

You think we're fine next year with:

Pleks: 25 goals

DD: 16 goals

Eller: 16 goals

Gally: 16 goals, (30 in 2 more years)?

We are not fine at centre at all. We need a goal scoring centre. Said it a thousand times before, and I'm saying it again.

Last edited by bsl: 03-24-2013 at 04:00 AM.
bsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 04:05 AM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsl View Post
I hear this all the time. Better solve hot goalies, or you ain't going to the finals. It's time guys here adjusted to reality: We are going to the PO, and in the PO, 'the goalie was hot' is not an excuse.
Ryan Miller is much less likely to have a .975 save percentage over a series than he is over one game.

If however we do run into a hot goalie in the playoffs, understand that it was a fluke and move on. Don't do what Washington did after Halak, from which they blew up their team and wasted three years because the Habs had a flukey win over Washington.

Quote:
I have said since this summer that DD had to score goals this year to stay on the team. Guess I was wrong, as we just signed him for 4 years. I love DD, but I absolutely hate centres that can't score goals. Eller is next on my list for the same problem.

Carter would look damn good right now on line 1. Oh well, PG didn't see the problem, I guess.

You think we're fine next year with:

Pleks: 25 goals

DD: 16 goals

Eller: 16 goals

Gally: 16 goals, (30 in 2 more years)?

We are not fine at centre at all. We need a goal scoring centre. Said it a thousand times before, and I'm saying it again.
Plekanec has 12 goals over 31 games (32 goal pace) in spite of frequently starting in the defensive zone against elite opposition.

Eller and DD need to step it up.

Gally gets a pass because he's 19.

DAChampion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 05:15 AM
Aceekay

Well I don't have a problem with our centres, plekanec is 14th in goals for centres. Desharnais is tied for 31st while he's a pass first player. Eller plays on the third line with little to no powerplay time.

So no I don't think you can complain about our centres not scoring enough.

Old
03-24-2013, 06:01 AM
Saundies

Some teams just have your number.. Buffalo is that team for the habs. Not much you can do when you dominate the game and a good goalie shuts the door.. Ask the 2010 Capitals and penguins.

Big week coming up. Last time they were in this scenario they took 3/4 points, this time? We'll see.

Saundies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 06:13 AM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saundies View Post
Some teams just have your number.. Buffalo is that team for the habs.
That's what we were saying about the Islanders until we beat them.

There are 14 other teams in the conference, based on pure chance it is no surprise that at any given time one or two or three of them has won the last 2 or 3 encounters against us.

DAChampion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 06:18 AM
poetryinmotion

What a boring game, and no amount of beer could make it interesting. I seriously hope we never play the Sabres ever again...

poetryinmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 06:50 AM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by habdynasty View Post
Blunden should get a cool ahl tattoo and go be a career leader in Hamilton.
Very borderline call, probably not called if it wasn't against the boards. The puck was right there, not Blunden's fault the player let it go a tiny split-second before contact. If Blunden doesn't take the body, he would get more crap on these boards, and probably rightly so.

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 06:53 AM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsEra View Post
Good game by our guys, just no luck at all, hot goaltending and a bad call from the ref that led to the first goal..

Cant win all them guys..
Exactly.

We talk about the HUGE bad break on the Subban penalty leading to the first goal (right after the questionable call on Blunden) but what about the SECOND goal? Gallagher breaks his stick trying to make a sharp pass to a breaking Pacioretty.. The puck dribbles as a consequence, gets intercepted and while Gallagher goes to get a stick at the bench, the Sabres attack along their LW where we had no forward to break up the play, and they score on the 3-on-2 break. If the stick does not break, the play is in the Buffalo zone, with even a small possibility of a scoring chance.

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 06:58 AM
Pricef

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreatgasby View Post
sabres got dominated from a to z , the refs gave them a 5-3 on a retarted call again...miller was lucky and we couldnt finish...all that together garbage game .
I completely agree. Sabres has no business winning this game...stuff happens

Pricef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 07:11 AM
Pricef

Quote:
Originally Posted by missthenet View Post
why was he takng the last faceoff? wh was Eller not taking it, bigger, stronger and maybe we keep the puckmin their end. Don't get the love for DD. has done othing since signing new deal.
Pass to Gionta for the winning goal vs Islanders. How quickly we forget

Pricef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 07:39 AM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyFischer View Post
Yeah... 16 saves... thank god we had Price back there, or the score may have been lopsided..
Price hasn't been great this year. Not by a long shot. But you cant really blame him last night. Both goals Buffalo scored would have been save of the year candidates.

Price does need to step up and make one of those saves sooner or later - but I'm sure he's saving them for the playoffs.

Quote:
Maybe if we had an enforcer we would have won the game...

Bergevin you idiot!
Not sure if serious...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
What????

Keep up with what's going on here.

The consensus is that Prust should be on the 4th line now. The place of the 6 minute TOI.
Again, our 4th liners rarely get 6-mins a game. Ryan White is our only regular player under 10 minutes per game @ 9 1/2 minutes.

Even on the 4th line, Prust will play 10-12 minutes per night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
We took too many perimeter shots but part of the problem is every time we dared get too close a whistle was blown. We should have won this game, but it's the same script every single time, it defies logic. I'd rather play the Bruins than the Sabres in the playoffs any day of the week.
I'd rather play the Bruins and Penguins than 95% of the teams in the first conference. We always struggle against teams we should beat. Have for years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig71 View Post
Nobody has said it yet so I will. We spent a good portion of the night chasing the puck because of lost faceoffs. We out shot Buffalo but many of them were outside one and done shots. Buffalo cloged the middle of the ice causing our smaller forwards to fight it out along the boards and it did not go well.
We won more faceoffs than we lost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poulet Kostopoulos View Post
Eller needs to simplify a bit his game (again). He has the natural tendency to play fancy. Playing a simpler game will help AGally too.
I think some of it has to do with Armstrong being on the line. Another thing, is that I feel Eller gets chemistry with one guy and tends too look for him a little too much. Happened with Andrei last year too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
What else does Halpern bring?

All of our centers were over 50% tonight (Eller snuck in at 50%) except for Dumont who was at 33% but played only 6 minutes.

Halpern would have had 50% on the 4th line but it would not have affected the scoring whatsoever.

He is a waste of roster space.
Most of our 4th liners don't play 6 minutes. Moen and Armstrong were both well over 10. If anything, Halpern will take some ice-time away from both of them because he'll be used as a PK/faceoff specialist.

Let's go get George Parros though.. he'll sure help stumbling around the ice for 2 minutes a game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheed36 View Post
That penalty call on Subban and the 5 on 3 goal gave the Sabres life.. Did the puck really hit the glass and the ref screwed up the call.. He didn't even discuss it with the other officials on the ice so he seemed very sure
Yes, the puck hit the boards/glass. It showed it on RDS. It hit VERY LOW, which probably is why it wasn't discussed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
Boston probably losing tonight, squandered opportunity to widen the gap.
I wonder if their fans want to blow up their team now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHill Seeker View Post
we outshot Buffalo 36-15 at even strength...it was a miller theft tonight
Agreed. I don't think we played THAT bad, but its getting harder and harder to pot goals when we're playing at a disadvantage. Our depth is key, without it, we become an average club.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hereforaquickpost View Post
Galchenyuk was on fire tonight. He should definitely center that line, as I really don't think Eller has the same level of vision and touch to dish when he has possession.
Galchenyuk might have played his best game all year tonight. Ryder was ****ing awesome as well.

Quote:
Eller should be shipped out of here asap before he's fully exposed as a glorified 4th liner that he is.
Do you ever say anything positive?

Quote:
We miss Bourque, Prust and Diaz, and it's starting to show.
Pretty much answered this below, but we really do.

Diaz would help in such a big way. I like Tinordi, I do, but I'd rather him head back to the AHL to learn more. Kaberle would be alright in our Top-6. We need the help on the PP. A second unit of Kaberle - Emelin sounds much nicer than the Gorges-Bouillon we've been using.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceekay View Post
Well I don't have a problem with our centres, plekanec is 14th in goals for centres. Desharnais is tied for 31st while he's a pass first player. Eller plays on the third line with little to no powerplay time.

So no I don't think you can complain about our centres not scoring enough.
Our problem is clearly that we're playing with Colby Armstrong in our Top-9 and we don't have any "elite" players. We are all about depth, and once that depth gets hampered, it hurts us because the other teams can focus on shutting down two of our lines instead of three.

Also, moving Armstrong off our 4th line, not only makes the 3rd line extremely weak (probably why Eller is hanging onto the puck so long, Army never seems to get open), but it causes our 4th line to play less. Especially when you've got a rookie and an AHLer on that line (or 2 AHLers if you include Moen).

Depth is key - and hopefully we're close to getting at least one of Bourque and Prust back.

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 07:43 AM
onice

I don't get the Eller bashing. He didn't have a great game but he was not the worse player on the Habs.

If someone worries me it's Patches. As he was doing at the beginning of the season, he has reverted to his perimeter play again. With Prust & Bourque out and with Gallagher and on occasion Armstrong the only players moving into the front of the net you would think that Patches would realize taking shots at the net from the offensive corners is a low percentage shot. But that's what he has been doing - playing on the perimeter.

Most of his points were collected with him going to the net or on the high slot. He has been avoiding those areas for quite awhile.

onice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 09:04 AM
icerocket

Quote:

Is this a real opinion?

"Coach send me to Hamilton I am not playing with that Danish guy. That's a pastry!"

Seriously people here are so ridiculous after a loss.

icerocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 09:53 AM
CP31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prallchengher View Post
We don't give up many chances to the opponent, but the ones they do get are so "Grade A" and juicy that they pot them easily.

Pittsburgh is just as flawed as we are; their defense is absolute **** and could cost them the Cup despite having Crosby and Malkin. Boston, on the other hand, is definitely not as Swiss cheese-like as either Pittsburgh or us.

It's not a "happy turn of events", since I was formerly a Caps fan who felt the burn of losing to a supposedly "inferior" team that wasn't that inferior and exploited the weaknesses(the "Achilles heel") people ignored in the "superior" team.
I see this too. We don't allow that many shots but the shots they do get are usually in prime goal scoring areas.

CP31 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 10:33 AM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFORCE View Post
Oh, by the way, anyone still wants to point out how this Prust guy is not missed and that we have the depth to perfectly make his absence irrelevant?

1-1-1, and ,500 hockey against 2 of the weakest teams in the East this week...
lmao. Way to play with the stats....we could also say it was the Habs first regulation loss with Prust out of the lineup in a game they pretty much dominated and failed to score.

4-1-1 without Prust. Doesn't mean the team doesn't need him, he's still a very good player but his loss hasn't significantly impacted the team.

Also, the Habs lost against the "weak" Islanders twice with Prust in the lineup and finally beat them this week while he was out.

As for the actual game, sure a couple of players didn't have their best games (Pacioretty, Desharnais, Eller), the biggest problem was that the Habs failed to capitalize on quality scoring chances and that's what lost them the game. Miller stoning Ryder and Blunden, Gionta missing a chance in close. Miller stole the game. The match was tilted in the habs favor and they lost, it happens.

Last edited by Andy: 03-24-2013 at 10:39 AM.
Andy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 10:53 AM
No Team Needed

So Eller decided to pay tribute to Alex Kovalev. What's the big deal?

No Team Needed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 10:56 AM
ThurmanKingPin

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Team Needed View Post
So Eller decided to pay tribute to Alex Kovalev. What's the big deal?
I liked the part where he went around in a circle twice and lost the puck after. What is with Habs blowing Saturday night games?

ThurmanKingPin is offline   Reply With Quote