HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Oilers lose 3-0 ...Game Over

Old
03-24-2013, 02:28 AM
dnicks17

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
I don't think Lowe is going anywhere, again Burke would be our best bet in this scenario, because he does things his way and Lowe would bow down to the alpha male.

Either that or they'd fight in a barn, but at least that'd be entertaining.
I doubt Katz does anything hockey related without asking his best buddy, Kevin Lowe, and I really don't see Lowe giving his blessing for that.

dnicks17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 02:31 AM
flashy
Fire Tambellini.

Well. that was expected.

The one positive was the 5 minute stretch where they started hitting. It actually put the Blues are their heels for a bit. Then they just stopped doing it. Very strange.

flashy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 02:32 AM
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
I doubt Katz does anything hockey related without asking his best buddy, Kevin Lowe, and I really don't see Lowe giving his blessing for that.
I think Lowe would agree because it gives him cover.

Lets face it if the team finishes in the lottery again (or close to it) this year, people are going to start asking more questions and firing the coach isn't going to cut it.

Lo and behold you hire Burke, have him huff and puff at the press conference, signal a new era in town, etc. etc. etc., Lowe quietly reconsolidates his power up top.

Beyond that, they can't afford to **** up the next GM hire. Tamby will be the sacrificial goat, but if the next GM sucks too, that's Lowe's cooked goose.

And as far as I know Burke and Lowe made up, and its a nice feel good story for the Edmonton press to run with.

Especially *if* the Leafs do make the playoffs this year (or even if they barely miss), that hire will be seen as golden.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 02:37 AM
Agron
BELIEVE.

Anyone expecting a change in management will feel the same as those who expected the Oilers to make the playoffs.

Nothings gonna change, I sometimes wonder if Katz even watches/likes hockey.

Agron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 02:38 AM
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade

vCash: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Bieber View Post
Anyone expecting a change in management will feel the same as those who expected the Oilers to make the playoffs.

I think his son likes Oilers' swag.

AlowlyOilersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 02:44 AM
Q Continuum
You are Wrong

vCash: 691
They aren't going to hire someone with his own brain. All they want is a puppet. Burke does what he wants, so that'll never happen.

Q Continuum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 02:57 AM
dnicks17

Quote:
I think Lowe would agree because it gives him cover.

Lets face it if the team finishes in the lottery again (or close to it) this year, people are going to start asking more questions and firing the coach isn't going to cut it.

Lo and behold you hire Burke, have him huff and puff at the press conference, signal a new era in town, etc. etc. etc., Lowe quietly reconsolidates his power up top.

Beyond that, they can't afford to **** up the next GM hire. Tamby will be the sacrificial goat, but if the next GM sucks too, that's Lowe's cooked goose.

And as far as I know Burke and Lowe made up, and its a nice feel good story for the Edmonton press to run with.

Especially *if* the Leafs do make the playoffs this year (or even if they barely miss), that hire will be seen as golden.
He seemed like a golden hire in Toronto too.

He gave up the Leafs future for Phil Kessel and now they'll be lucky to have one play-off appearance with him before he walks as a UFA.

The Leafs biggest holes were a #1C and a goalie during Burke's 4+ years there. His best attempt at filling those holes were signing Tyler Bozak and Jonas Gustavsson. They still need a #1C and a goalie.

Burke deserves a lot of credit for the setting up Vancouver with the Sedins, Kesler, etc, but we're past that point now.

Burke is not the guy you want fitting puzzle pieces in to make a play-off team. It's brutally obvious he's incapable of that from his time in Vancouver, post-Niedermayer/Pronger Anaheim and Toronto.

He won a cup in Anaheim because Scott Niedermayer wanted to play with his brother and Chris Pronger demanded a trade.

Burke is terribly overrated and almost as far from a dummy proof hire as you get, imo.

dnicks17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 02:57 AM
OilerTyler
Fire Lowe

vCash: 50
The Oilers squander so many scoring chances by over-passing the puck instead of taking shots or by attempting cute plays like drop passes and toe drags instead of putting the puck on net.

It's frustrating to watch.

OilerTyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 03:08 AM
Philly85
Moody'

Quote:

He gave up the Leafs future for Phil Kessel and now they'll be lucky to have one play-off appearance with him before he walks as a UFA.

The Leafs biggest holes were a #1C and a goalie during Burke's 4+ years there. His best attempt at filling those holes were signing Tyler Bozak and Jonas Gustavsson. They still need a #1C and a goalie.

Burke deserves a lot of credit for the setting up Vancouver with the Sedins, Kesler, etc, but we're past that point now.

Burke is not the guy you want fitting puzzle pieces in to make a play-off team. It's brutally obvious he's incapable of that from his time in Vancouver, post-Niedermayer/Pronger Anaheim and Toronto.

He won a cup in Anaheim because Scott Niedermayer wanted to play with his brother and Chris Pronger demanded a trade.

Burke is terribly overrated and almost as far from a dummy proof hire as you get, imo.
x1,000,000

Philly85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 03:11 AM
Philly85
Moody'

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerTyler View Post
The Oilers squander so many scoring chances by over-passing the puck instead of taking shots or by attempting cute plays like drop passes and toe drags instead of putting the puck on net.

It's frustrating to watch.
Pond hockey out there. Pass when they should shoot and shoot when they should pass. It's insanely frustrating. This is a poorly coached bunch, forming bad habits for sure.

Philly85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 03:32 AM
Wolfgang Krauser
LETS BURN IT UP

Quote:
I don't really even care if Burke couldn't spin the Leafs into a contender in three years time or whatever (though if the Leafs make the playoffs this year, that ownership group should go kiss his rear end).
People forget how terrible that Leafs team was that he took over. The crazy thing is, this team is still far from being 'complete' in the sense that many of Burke's drafted tough guys that can skate and have skill have yet to develop.

I think Burke would fit great in Edmonton, and IMO he will steal Dallas Eakins from the Leafs and make him the Oilers new head coach. There are very few coaches in hockey that are better with younger players than Eakins at this moment. Eakins is also no pushover, he's preaches defence before everything, and even turned Nazem Kadri into a two-way player.

I also don't like how people neglect what Burke did for Anaheim, he and Murray deserve equal credit. Burke brought in Selanne and changed ALL 6 dmen on that team, bringing in two HoF players in Pronger and Niedermayer, as well as Beauchmin in a great trade. He also left them with all their pieces intact...

Wolfgang Krauser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 03:33 AM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singh66 View Post
People forget how terrible that Leafs team was that he took over. The crazy thing is, this team is still far from being 'complete' in the sense that many of Burke's drafted tough guys that can skate and have skill have yet to develop.

I think Burke would fit great in Edmonton, and IMO he will steal Dallas Eakins from the Leafs and make him the Oilers new head coach. There are very few coaches in hockey that are better with younger players than Eakins at this moment. Eakins is also no pushover, he's preaches defence before everything, and even turned Nazem Kadri into a two-way player.

I also don't like how people neglect what Burke did for Anaheim, he and Murray deserve equal credit. Burke brought in Selanne and changed ALL 6 dmen on that team, bringing in two HoF players in Pronger and Niedermayer, as well as Beauchmin in a great trade. He also left them with all their pieces intact...
Oh, goodie.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 03:35 AM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Bottomline: The Oilers simply don't have the pieces to play a defense-centric system. They're trying to play that way (and failing) under Krueger's awful tutelage.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 03:35 AM
Wolfgang Krauser
LETS BURN IT UP

Quote:

The Kessel trade wasn't a great one, but it was a timing problem, no one had the Leafs finishing that low, what ya gonna do though, they got someone that was 6th in League scoring last year and score goals at will.

They never got that 'true' #1 center, but how many teams did? People forget that the 5 leafs with NMC/NTC really slowed down the Leafs rebuild, look at the team Burke took over.

Kadri is turning into quite a center, if he continues, there is no doubt he will be a number 1.

Reimer has #1 potential(although Burke didn't draft him, he extended him) and he's been stellar this year.

Wolfgang Krauser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 05:07 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 7000
As long as we draft Curtis Lazar, I dont care what happens anymore.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 05:10 AM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Bieber View Post
This^

Quote:
He does, but only if Vancouver is playing.

Old
03-24-2013, 05:53 AM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 1000
glad I did not stay up to watch it

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 06:12 AM
CorpseFX

vCash: 872
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
glad I did not stay up to watch it
im glad i just DIDNT watch it.

sounds like the same old gong:
bad/C- vets, wily kids that want to play inline hockey in the NHL, dingus hockey IQ's / dingus execution, moderately random coach hiring that will be realized a mistake next season...

F-it

CorpseFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 06:24 AM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
As long as we draft Curtis Lazar, I dont care what happens anymore.
-Over 0.8 PPG
-good wrister
-6'0
-nearly 200 lbs
-uses his size to protect the puck
-plays the body whenever possible
-never quits
-willing to drop the gloves
-good 2 way game
-one of the top +/-'s out of the teams forwards
-natural leader
-started to break out in last year's playoffs
-has more upside than his points suggest
-born February of '95
-BC boy
-right hand shot
-wears #27

Oh wait, I'm not talking about Lazar. I'm talking about about projected 3rd rounder, Jackson Houck. People get way too attached to local prospects. If Lazar is there with our 2nd pick (whether we trade up, or he falls) then great, but he's not the 2nd coming...

The Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 06:58 AM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
-Over 0.8 PPG
-good wrister
-6'0
-nearly 200 lbs
-uses his size to protect the puck
-plays the body whenever possible
-never quits
-willing to drop the gloves
-good 2 way game
-one of the top +/-'s out of the teams forwards
-natural leader
-started to break out in last year's playoffs
-has more upside than his points suggest
-born February of '95
-BC boy
-right hand shot
-wears #27

Oh wait, I'm not talking about Lazar. I'm talking about about projected 3rd rounder, Jackson Houck. People get way too attached to local prospects. If Lazar is there with our 2nd pick (whether we trade up, or he falls) then great, but he's not the 2nd coming...
You dont really know what he is as youve probably seen him play a handful of times if.

Lol @ the Houck comparison.

Old
03-24-2013, 08:06 AM
ithxan

vCash: 50
Burke?? WTF I take one day off from browsing the Oil HF and come back to full retard?? They ought to have a "time out" button before some of you jokers can hit the SUBMIT button.

ithxan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 08:13 AM
Bodmanza
pipsqueaks united

This isn't going to be a popular opinion in here at the moment, but for two periods I was okay with this game. We didn't give Stl a single scoring chance in the first according to hnic, and were tied with them after two if not for a lousy effort by khabby on the first goal.

My concern continues to be our starts and finishes, for different reasons though. How many times can we go the first fifteen minutes of a game and only muster a few shots? And how many times can we give up goals in the last 10 or 15 minutes that cripple us?

Bodmanza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 08:15 AM
Gord
MoneyGuy is smarter

vCash: 1255
well, it's morning.
I'm still sober and still disgusted by the team that Lowe and Tambo have put together.
even if you believe this is only year 3 of the rebuild, you have to see this this team has been put together very poorly.

wish Katz would quit counting his piles of money long enough to fire lowe and tambo.

Gord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 08:44 AM
longtimeoilfan

vCash: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Just totally outmatched like I said they would be. The STL Blues are the single worst matchup in the league for the Oilers.

now 1-8 in last 9games.

This loss was a foregone conclusion and I said so.

Blues put on a clinic out there.

People don't understand that when a system club is on top of its game a young learning club isn't going to overcome it.
While I don't agree with you very often R., I think you hit the oil patch this time (meaning that I agree with you on the above). Allow me to build of it...

The Oilers are still a young learning club... its an undeniable truth. But I do think the people identifying a certain lack with this team are right too.

Maybe, just maybe, people need to step back from the bridge/cliff (or the oil derrick ) for a moment, and see that perhaps its just that 'little taste of success,' those moments when the Oilers give us a sense of what - hopefully - is to come, that has many of us frustrated and expecting success in the here and now. I found myself expecting the playoffs this season, and "WHAM!" reality sets in with a game like last night (and a few others this season). People need to remember that this team is the same one that lost quite a few games in a row just a short time ago... but a couple of wins, people talking of the playoffs, and the idea of 'our' young core in playoff hockey, and I started to let go of my expectations for the Oilers coming into this season - which wasn't the playoffs, it was simply to be more competitive and maybe not draft in the top ten. I know from reading this forum that many people are doing the same thing. I am not saying that we, as fans, don't deserve a successful team, nor that we shouldn't be expecting 'our' team to compete, but expectations need to be measured and realistic.

Even with a completely different bottom six, a complete overhaul on defense, in net, and behind the bench, the core of this team is still young and learning. Even replacing one of them with Lucic (or someone similar) doesn't change that fact. So while its fair to ask "Is this team being built to compete?" its not realistic to expect one or two little changes in the lineup to mean anything significant. Its time and growth that 'our' core needs. This team will only peak when the fab five does.

The other option would be to trade Eberle, Yakupov, and Nugent-Hopkins, away for the best experienced players they could fetch, and have a top six built around Hall. I say Hall because I think he is ahead of the curve relative to the other members of 'our' fab five. That is quite a significant change, and I don't mean to be suggesting that the Oilers should be doing such a thing, just that short of doing it, matters will pretty much stay the same. The Oilers will continue to be outclassed by teams (less and less as the seasons progress) until such a time that they do all the outclassing.

Last edited by longtimeoilfan: 03-24-2013 at 09:03 AM.
longtimeoilfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 09:01 AM
oilers4life5

Quote:

This times a billion. Burke would be the worst hire ever!

oilers4life5 is offline   Reply With Quote