HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Phoenix LXXIII: "This Space Available"

Closed Thread

Old
03-23-2013, 04:19 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stix and Stones View Post
Ticked off at everybody are you?
Too bad the cat isn't walking the opposite way.
... didnt actually think of it that way, that angle. More..
The only escape from the miseries of life are music & cats.
Albert Schweitzer

Old
03-23-2013, 04:42 PM
mesamonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimAnchower View Post
How does the NHL allow people who don't have the money even get to the negotiating table? Few people, if anyone, thinks Jamison or Ice Edge ever got close to raising enough to meet the asking price (even if the asking price is insane). Certainly, neither have the personal funds to get a deal done. With Hulhizer, his net worth was estimated to be between $300 million and "a number that would dwarf the Reinsdorf's (which is about $300 million)" back when he was first connected to the Coyotes. However, it seems he isn't worth $300 million. The NHL terminated his Blues ownership bid because of the complicated financing involved. Later, rumors started to circulate that he couldn't even raise his share of $40 million for the purchase. Time will tell if ever gets connected to another purchase, but it seems he was just another wannabe.
Thats why the only logical explanation is that GB never intended to keep the team in AZ! With the taxpayer subsidies he received a bye for two years! He initially intended to move the team back to the Peg , but then the Thrashers got their panties in a heap and had to leave immediately. In comes the COG with 25MM large and GB had the funds to partially deceive the buying public. His deceit was that he knew all along nobody would buy the team, so he kept the asking price high just in case, and then never bothered to do his DD on potential buyers! All he wanted was a name with some small amount of credibility, and a requirement that they had to make a few token appearances with the press and the COG! Gary and Daly then went about their grand deception! Nice!!!

Old
03-23-2013, 05:16 PM
yotesreign

Quote:
How does the NHL allow people who don't have the money even get to the negotiating table? Few people, if anyone, thinks Jamison or Ice Edge ever got close to raising enough to meet the asking price (even if the asking price is insane). Certainly, neither have the personal funds to get a deal done. With Hulhizer, his net worth was estimated to be between $300 million and "a number that would dwarf the Reinsdorf's (which is about $300 million)" back when he was first connected to the Coyotes. However, it seems he isn't worth $300 million. The NHL terminated his Blues ownership bid because of the complicated financing involved. Later, rumors started to circulate that he couldn't even raise his share of $40 million for the purchase. Time will tell if ever gets connected to another purchase, but it seems he was just another wannabe.
Almost enough to make one pine for the days when (for some people) 'NHL' stood for the Norris House League and teams only had five other teams to play against. Travel expenses and payrolls were a lot less back then, and you didn't have to worry about making the playoffs unless you were one of the bottom two teams!

Old
03-23-2013, 05:27 PM
Confucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by yotesreign View Post
Almost enough to make one pine for the days when (for some people) 'NHL' stood for the Norris House League and teams only had five other teams to play against. Travel expenses and payrolls were a lot less back then, and you didn't have to worry about making the playoffs unless you were one of the bottom two teams!
Bottom line, we loved it. Not to mention even without the internet the fans knew all the players

Old
03-23-2013, 05:38 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stix and Stones View Post
Bottom line, we loved it.
God ya. Just a glorious age to be a fan, much less a kid growing up with it in the late 50's & 60's. You pretty much knew every player, rosters steady & consistent. Teams playing one another home & away with far greater frequency of course. No helmets, no rink board advertising, no clutter or commercialization really, no names on the backs of jerseys. You knew who guys were by numbers alone.

Old
03-23-2013, 05:58 PM
mesamonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
God ya. Just a glorious age to be a fan, much less a kid growing up with it in the late 50's & 60's. You pretty much knew every player, rosters steady & consistent. Teams playing one another home & away with far greater frequency of course. No helmets, no rink board advertising, no clutter or commercialization really, no names on the backs of jerseys. You knew who guys were by numbers alone.
Remember them well! Bobby Orr on the PK would rush the puck end to end then back again, round his net twice and fly the biscuit to the other end again! Penalty killed! "Those were the days my friend, i thought they`d never end, yes those were the days!"

Old
03-23-2013, 08:04 PM
Mork

Send a message via ICQ to Mork
Quote:
Originally Posted by mesamonster View Post
Remember them well! Bobby Orr on the PK would rush the puck end to end then back again, round his net twice and fly the biscuit to the other end again! Penalty killed! "Those were the days my friend, i thought they`d never end, yes those were the days!"
I always thought Orr could skate backwards faster than any other player in the league could skate forwards, save and except for Yvan Cournyer. Orr turned 65 last week. I keep his autographed photo hanging in my office. He gave it to me when I represented his dear old aunt.

Old
03-23-2013, 09:09 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mork View Post
Orr turned 65 last week. I keep his autographed photo hanging in my office. He gave it to me when I represented his dear old aunt.
Unhuh? Let me guess. 5X7 or 8X10, games against Chicago, close to the boards in the corner & shot looking up ice,
Phil Esposito in the background up closer to the blue line, Hawks player trying to poke the stick off Orrs stick down low?

Old
03-23-2013, 09:21 PM
Mork

Big. I don't know how big but at least 8 x 10. In the air just before landing on his stomach after just having scored the Cup-winning goal against St. Louis. I clearly remember watching that game on our black and white TV on CKX in Brandon, Manitoba. Number 4, Bobby Orr! There was no comparison.

Old
03-23-2013, 09:43 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Big. I don't know how big but at least 8 x 10. In the air just before landing on his stomach after just having scored the Cup-winning goal against St. Louis. I clearly remember watching that game on our black and white TV on CKX in Brandon, Manitoba. Number 4, Bobby Orr! There was no comparison.
Oh ok, ya, "the goal" after being tripped by a Blues player sent airborne. Normally he gives out the one I described above. I went to the Orr-Walton Sports Camp in 70, the year of that goal & Cup win for Boston. Big thrill facing that guy (along with Walton, Dennis Hull & a few others) in shooting drills (I was a goalie), 2 on Zero's n' whatnot. Orr's shot didnt scare me, accurate but neither terribly fast nor "heavy"; but Waltons sure as Hell did. That guy had a mean nasty streak in him a mile wide. Head Hunter & super competitive. Dennis Hull, 9 out of 10 shots over the glass. Absolutely wild. Ricocheting around the steel ceiling joists, busting light fixtures. Wasnt deliberate either, but always followed by crazed hysterical laughter. Really made you wonder about the gene pool in the Hull family... anyhoo, back on topic I suppose, and not a whole Hell of a lot happening. Enough to force a few drinks on a body huh?....

Old
03-23-2013, 10:13 PM
Mork

Your on-ice prowess exceeds mine infinitely. I love the game but was never good enough to be any more than the least used defenceman. I would never have been on the ice with those guys, ever. It must have been good times for you then, Killion! Um, kind of like the Coyotes now, right? Perhaps Phoenix's last brush with the bigs? (A feeble attempt at getting on-side, but an attempt none the less. I doubt that I've kept the puck inside the blue-line.)

Old
03-23-2013, 10:52 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
...Um, kind of like the Coyotes now, right? Perhaps Phoenix's last brush with the bigs?
Not entirely sure about that, as no one truly can be. Just..... nothing...... ZzzzzZzzzzZzzzz... & all were hearing.

Old
03-24-2013, 05:39 AM
Glacial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llama19 View Post
This is somewhat of an important vote...

Glendale council to vote on $400 per hour contract to hire Coyotes, arena consultant

"The Glendale City Council is scheduled to vote next Tuesday on whether to pay a Boston-based sports investment firm a $25,000 retainer and $400 per hour to help it with the Phoenix Coyotes ownership saga and the future of Jobing.com Arena."

Source:

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/n...n-400-per.html

(Agenda for March 26 - 21. REPRESENTATION AGREEMENT WITH BEACON SPORTS CAPITAL PARTNERS, LLC)
Doesn't Glendale know? They could use posters & readers of this thread to help them, and for a nominal fee too (certainly not $400/hour. I'd settle for $339.88/hour. That is the price of breaking free from an endless Groundhog Day, is it not?). Everyone here has been following the Phoenix saga for years and has discussed the future of Jobing Arena for that time too. They're perhaps more knowledgable and cheaper (in every sense of the word ) than some Boston sports firm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XX View Post
Glendale brass won't go quietly in the night. Emperor Weiers having some trouble getting rid of Tindall and Skeete.

http://www.azcentral.com/community/g...isnt-easy.html
They've been taught by the masters well (Beasley et al). Isn't what Skeete is asking akin to ghost payrolling? Reminds me of the periodic pension scandal where some bigwig in state government gets a crony appointed to a position for one day and they retire with full benefits. If they were smart, they'd set up some kind of trap to get both dimissed, like leaving some of that sales tax money lying on the table or something . Or in theory, they can give in to Skeete, but have him cleaning every municipal toilet with a toothbrush or do what some Japanese companies are rumored to do to personas non grata, have their work consist of sitting in an empty windowless room at an empty desk for 15 months. Maybe they can have a window in Skeete's new office, just with bars on it to remind him that he had better tread carefully because he wasn't necessarily taught by the right people. Maybe his new office can be inside a bathroom stall. Does he think the mayor is going to want to be feeding another parasite on their city carcass? They already got Beasley sucking from them, 'rewarded' for ruining their city. Just look at all of 'em!

Since Beasley & Tindall are standing in line, blocking the door, refusing to leave without their bribe, when Bettman tries to leave with the Coyotes, will he ask for a going away bribe? Or is that the $20M they haven't yet taken from escrow? Knowing him, Glendale will probably find the arena stripped of all its copper wire and even the light fixtures when the NHL leaves.

I wonder, will this 'Phoenix saga' only end if Chris Claremont is brought in to write an end to it? He did write an end to 2 Phoenix Sagas after all.

Old
03-24-2013, 09:17 AM
Major4Boarding
Global Moderator
Private Equity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glacial View Post
They could use posters & readers of this thread to help them, and for a nominal fee too (certainly not $400/hour. I'd settle for $339.88/hour. That is the price of breaking free from an endless Groundhog Day, is it not?). Everyone here has been following the Phoenix saga for years and has discussed the future of Jobing Arena for that time too. They're perhaps more knowledgable and cheaper (in every sense of the word ) than some Boston sports firm.
We don't have a Reinsdorf though

Old
03-24-2013, 10:26 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major4Boarding View Post
Actually, it just so happens that I have an interest in purchasing an NHL franchise. Let's go ahead and draw up some paperwork. I'll get you copies of my tax records just as soon as <abridged>

Old
03-24-2013, 10:52 AM
mesamonster

Quote:
Bobby Orr was my instructor at a hockey camp in Haliburton Ontario, he had just turned 18, crew cut, was going the Bruins in the fall! Same camp had Bernie Parent, Ken Hodge and none other than Nick Beverly!

Old
03-24-2013, 11:45 AM
JimAnchower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
Absolutely mindblowing that the NHL wouldnt have exercised complete & thorough due diligence in pre-qualifying potential buyers irrespective of the largesse all have sought from the City of Glendale. The league clearly complicit, already direct recipients of maximum, beyond the pale extortionary subsidies from the municipality for the pleasure of retaining their team.
Especially given how many times the league has been burned by fraudsters in the past. Perhaps they already knew none of the groups would ever find willing investors and could never finalize the sale. Just keep those "investors" identities secret to string Glendale along.

Old
03-24-2013, 11:59 AM
GuelphStormer

again, you guys seem to be assuming that the league was actually serious about finding a buyer and selling the team locally.

here's a crazy thot ... they never intended to sell the team locally, they conned the city out of enough money to tide them over, and they have already sold the team to PKP who has agreed to pay them a relo fee that will more than cover this year's losses.

Old
03-24-2013, 12:15 PM
Mightygoose

vCash: 514
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuelphStormer View Post
again, you guys seem to be assuming that the league was actually serious about finding a buyer and selling the team locally.

here's a crazy thot ... they never intended to sell the team locally, they conned the city out of enough money to tide them over, and they have already sold the team to PKP who has agreed to pay them a relo fee that will more than cover this year's losses.
Perhaps, it's not that the league has no serious intentions to sell locally, it's they know there is no serious buyer willing to take the team off their hands from day one. Well, at least not without a large 'equity package' from the city.

With every prospective buyer seeming to look for so much $$$ from the city. Perhaps, it's done with the intent for the city to say no. With the last council approving everything the league and/or buyer wants, this saga will go on and on.

Curious to see what happens with this council once the Yotes season ends and it's time for the league to ramp up the pressure. Wil this council cave and this goes on or does this saga come to a merciful end.

Old
03-24-2013, 12:16 PM
mesamonster

Quote:

This scenario is far more likely than most people think! To my point, GB is the con man, screwing the taxpayers of Glendale and the fans. The very least the fans deserved was honesty, GB is not about that, he is about deception and the Coyotes are only the latest in some of his high wire theatrics!

Old
03-24-2013, 12:38 PM
aqib

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glacial View Post
Doesn't Glendale know? They could use posters & readers of this thread to help them, and for a nominal fee too (certainly not $400/hour. I'd settle for $339.88/hour. That is the price of breaking free from an endless Groundhog Day, is it not?). Everyone here has been following the Phoenix saga for years and has discussed the future of Jobing Arena for that time too. They're perhaps more knowledgable and cheaper (in every sense of the word ) than some Boston sports firm.

They've been taught by the masters well (Beasley et al). Isn't what Skeete is asking akin to ghost payrolling? Reminds me of the periodic pension scandal where some bigwig in state government gets a crony appointed to a position for one day and they retire with full benefits. If they were smart, they'd set up some kind of trap to get both dimissed, like leaving some of that sales tax money lying on the table or something . Or in theory, they can give in to Skeete, but have him cleaning every municipal toilet with a toothbrush or do what some Japanese companies are rumored to do to personas non grata, have their work consist of sitting in an empty windowless room at an empty desk for 15 months. Maybe they can have a window in Skeete's new office, just with bars on it to remind him that he had better tread carefully because he wasn't necessarily taught by the right people. Maybe his new office can be inside a bathroom stall. Does he think the mayor is going to want to be feeding another parasite on their city carcass? They already got Beasley sucking from them, 'rewarded' for ruining their city. Just look at all of 'em!
I used to work with a guy who had a contract at the company and when they tried to fire him (not his fault - stupid management) he was like "ok pay my contract" they said "no if you don't show up YOU'RE in breach" so he showed up every day and read the paper until they bought him out.

As far as government employees go, its not uncommon to see a "bridge to retirement." In Ohio you qualify for pension after 20 years of service, and your pension is based on your 2 highest annual salaries so ts not uncommon to see people get appointed to assorted boards or other do-nothing positions when they are a year or two away.

Old
03-24-2013, 12:45 PM
JimAnchower

Quote:

That's kind of my point. They have paraded through three individuals/groups that didn't have near enough money to purchase the team. They even went through the process of pre-approving these groups, saying they checked everything out and it all came back good. This from a league that has had John Spano, Boots Del Biaggio, Len Barrie, John Rigas, etc in it's past. What happened to that new ownership vetting process that was supposedly put in place if these guys were pre-approved? Are Hulsizer, Ice Edge, and Jamison the only patsies they could find?

Old
03-24-2013, 12:58 PM
berklon

Quote:
This scenario is far more likely than most people think! To my point, GB is the con man, screwing the taxpayers of Glendale and the fans. The very least the fans deserved was honesty, GB is not about that, he is about deception and the Coyotes are only the latest in some of his high wire theatrics!
That can't be. There were some posters here who defended GB and the BOG since the beginning of this whole fiasco. Everything they did was for the good of Glendale and their fans. Balsillie was pure evil and GB was Christ-like - at least that's how I remembered it.

MOD

Last edited by Fugu: 03-24-2013 at 03:22 PM. Reason: one is still around, check Hawks board
Old
03-24-2013, 01:10 PM
Wonko the Sane
It's you not me.

vCash: 1000
Check twitter for all the enjoyment you can handle of one of them.

Old
03-24-2013, 02:10 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major4Boarding View Post
Oh? You'd be shocked to learn of some the URL & IP addresses that visit this site, board & thread. And Im talkin frequently. From 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue NW to the North Pole....what'dya make of this long stream of codex M4B; IPXIIXXVhohoho?... huh?

Quote:
Bobby Orr was my instructor at a hockey camp in Haliburton Ontario...
Haliburton Hockey Haven. Went there as well. Ed Chadwick my Goalie Coach. Were you the kid I nearly drowned?

Quote:
That's kind of my point....They even went through the process of pre-approving these groups, saying they checked everything out and it all came back good. This from a league that has had John Spano, Boots Del Biaggio, Len Barrie, John Rigas, etc in it's past. What happened to that new ownership vetting process that was supposedly put in place if these guys were pre-approved? Are Hulsizer, Ice Edge, and Jamison the only patsies they could find?
Well this is just it, and whats so annoying about it all. The requirements, thresholds for qualification are absolutely moving targets. It depends on how desperate the NHL might be in any given market. Pretty much since 67's expansion & all that followed, as the bottom rung & cheapest entry into the world of big league sports, theyve attracted a motley crew of miscreants & flim flam artists. Bettman tightened controls of course, boasting that he'd hired Pinkertons at one time to conduct thorough background checks after the Del Biaggio scandal (and note, it was Greg Jamison who gave that Con his start & entree' into the circle saying little for his judgement in determining character, leading me to wonder just who these investors he had lined up in Phoenix mightve been) but c'mon here. There's just no excuse for this, for what theyve enabled in Phoenix. Having to eat losses in St.Louis & Dallas, Tampa & elsewhere, idly standing bye & doing nothing while Atlanta implode's with ASG's messy internecine wars & quite deliberate sabotage.

Closed Thread